2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
September 23, 2009, 12:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I received a PM from a fellow fishy member saying ,   " after reading my post stating that I suffer with depression he thought he also had the condition,"

He went on to say he had thought about suicide the other week.

So I would like to inform all of you what it is like to suffer from the condition and what help is out there.

Depression is a chemical inbalance in the brain and does effect about 10% of the population at one time or another.

The first signs to look for is when you have no interest in anything and you do not want to go out or talk to people,

Most people that suffer are good actors and we put a brave face on to fool other people,

What you must do are the following,

1.   Go see your doctor as soon as possible, he or she will understand what you are feeling like.

2.  Tablets are very good now days ( look how positive I am ) There are many different tablets available so if the 1st ones do not make you feel any better, the doctor will change them to a different type, so do not worry.

3. Try to get out and do some exicise, it will make you feel better.
    I am not very fit now but I spend a lot of time in the garden pottering about and I also take my dog for a walk twice a day.

4. Do not keep your problems to yourself, talk to somebody about them.
   If you can not talk to your family talk to your friends.
   If you think you can not speak to anybody about it, talk to your dog ( if you have one ) my dog is a very good listener.

I am very lucky that I have a close knit family and I can talk to my wife or kids and they understand and help.

If at the end of the day you have nobody you want to confide in,   PM me and I will always try to help,

I am not a counsellor so please seek professional help, but I will always be here to do what I can.

Things are never as bad as you might think they are , so  try to look on the bright side if you can,

Remember if you worry about something it will not go away JUST make things seem a lot worse.

Finally I would like to say,

I have been suffering with depression for over 10 years now, but because I take my tablets and talk to my doctor and family about things I feel good most of the time.
I do have the odd black day or hour but it soon passes,

So please seek help IF you think you are the one in ten that suffer with depression.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Biccys
September 23, 2009, 3:45pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Great advice Pete, my ex-wife suffered from it terribly. Some may say it was living with me that did it (grrr) but she started on some tablets and very quickly got back to her normal self. It's an awful, awful thing to watch someone you love feeling so utterly helpless and you can't help in any way. Whoever it was that PM'd you, I hope they listen to your advice.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 18
mike the mariner
September 23, 2009, 6:29pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Approval: -2
I to suffer from depression and have done since I was 16. (I'm 25 now) I didn't get help for it until I was 22. At times during those years it became quite grim for me. I'm lucky because like Pete, I've people around me who I can talk to and understand the issues that I have. Since I went to the doctors and received some professional advice it has been much easier to get on with my life. Now 90% of the time I am fine.
I can't really add much to what Pete has said, it's all sound advice, just it might also be worth looking at your diet as well. Audio books on an mp3 player makes walking more enjoyable.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
cleethorpeskes
September 23, 2009, 9:05pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Proud of you Gramps xxx
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
ginnywings
September 24, 2009, 11:07am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Good advice Pete.

I suffered a period of severe depression after a series of events happened in my life and the first thing is to recognise the symptoms and get help.My family and my doctor were wonderful and i am happy to report that i am now fine.Help is out there,don't be afraid to use it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
Les Brechin
September 24, 2009, 3:55pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,700
Gold Stars: 174
Now I obviously do not want to alarm anyone here but I think I must comment on this. There have been quite a few occasions (inc at least 2 locally that I know of) where Doctors have diagnosed depression and it has actually turned out that the patient had a brain tumour.

The symptoms of a brain tumour are very often misdiagnosed as depression.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
Neilo83
September 26, 2009, 11:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +262
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Les Brechin
Now I obviously do not want to alarm anyone here but I think I must comment on this. There have been quite a few occasions (inc at least 2 locally that I know of) where Doctors have diagnosed depression and it has actually turned out that the patient had a brain tumour.

The symptoms of a brain tumour are very often misdiagnosed as depression.

Well it sure is true that ya lern something new everyday! I would never of never thought the 2 wud be connected.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
Neilo83
September 26, 2009, 11:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +262
Gold Stars: 4
Bi polar disorder (sp) a form of depression? i work with someone that has that so know a bit about it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
Wrawby_Mariner
September 26, 2009, 11:47pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
every one gets depressed more so than others, and people deal with it in different ways
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 8 - 18
ginnywings
September 27, 2009, 2:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Neilo83
Bi polar disorder (sp) a form of depression? i work with someone that has that so know a bit about it

Think bi-polar is the more recent name for manic depression,which is mis-understood as manic depressants can actually be incredibly positive to the point where they feel invincible and at other times incredibly depressed,hence going from one polar extreme to the other.

I was diagnosed with clinical depression but with the help of my doctor and family,overcame it.

As a result,did quite a lot of reading on the subject.My depression was caused by a series of events,one of which was the unexpected split with my ex wife.Funnily enough,this lead to me meeting my curent GF,who at that time was working as an advocate for a mental health charity.She explained there are a lot of myths attached to the illness and it's a lot more prevalent than people think.It can also run in families which i wasn't aware of.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Depression

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.