Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How do you do it?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 362 Guests

How do you do it?

This thread currently has 4,679 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
oldun
March 3, 2015, 3:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I am constantly amazed at the details of games which some on here seem to remember. Me, I have great difficulty remembering who scored a couple of home games ago. Some of you folks can remember facts and incidents from obscure games from way back. What is the secret, how do you do that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
arryarryarry
March 3, 2015, 3:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Usually under the covers with the light off.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 31
grimsby pete
March 3, 2015, 3:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I can not remember a few games ago either,

BUT

Ask me what happened in the 60's and Its right there,

There is a word for this,

BUT

I can not remember what it is.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 3, 2015, 3:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from oldun
I am constantly amazed at the details of games which some on here seem to remember. Me, I have great difficulty remembering who scored a couple of home games ago. Some of you folks can remember facts and incidents from obscure games from way back. What is the secret, how do you do that?

I have that problem too!

I think if we are realistic about looking back, for me anyway, there are scores of incidents and goals that stuck in my mind in vivid detail but they took place in hundreds of games that I watched in different places. So as a percentage, the actual memories I can bring to mind from all those games is quite small. That means there's not a lot going to stick in the memory from the past few seasons and if it does it won't be a particularly happy memory in any case! That's my theory anyway.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 31
pizzzza
March 3, 2015, 3:56pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from oldun

No doubt there are some which look it up on the internet before they post and then claim they are some sort of statto when they do.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 31
excusebeef
March 3, 2015, 4:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +296
I remember all of the 98/99 season, it was my first year as a town fan and loved every match. I guess when you enjoy it and the team are doing well then it sticks. Funny I remember the first half of the opening Mike Newell season against Cheltenham. The second half of that game and subsequently the rest of that season have been eradicated from my mind
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
Les Brechin
March 3, 2015, 4:36pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
There are certain things that just stick in the mind but I must admit that Google and The Fishy results database are very handy tools.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
TownSNAFU5
March 3, 2015, 4:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Memory comes with interest. Key Town games are etched into the memory.

I am sure that most footy fans can remember many of the football scores on a Sat night (after hearing the results once).  

On the other hand, what man can remember what his wife or girlfriend asked him to do 5 mins before?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
gaz57
March 3, 2015, 4:48pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
I went to a lot of away games in days gone by and had many great memories. It seemed to be easy to remember those more than the home games because an away day was a big event.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
diehardmariner
March 3, 2015, 5:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,067
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from excusebeef
I remember all of the 98/99 season, it was my first year as a town fan and loved every match. I guess when you enjoy it and the team are doing well then it sticks. Funny I remember the first half of the opening Mike Newell season against Cheltenham. The second half of that game and subsequently the rest of that season have been eradicated from my mind

This.

The benefit of supporting Town over the last couple of decades is that with so many lows you wish to forget, you free up so much memory space to remember the sparse good times.  

Bar Slade's second season, I've a really poor memory of anything Town related since about 2001.   Groves scored against Fulham on the final day....Jevons against Barnsley.....Reddy....Connell....Hearn......few Lincoln wins....nah, that's it.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How do you do it?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.