1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
sonofmadeleymariner
April 26, 2015, 3:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
Right I was thinking about this yesterday when i heard on radio Humberside that Scunny had managed to stay up as I wanted them relegated so we played them next year when we get promoted   this led me to think about my ideal league.

OK rules are simple
  • Only 24 teams in the league one place taken by Grimsby already so that is 23 team to add
  • All teams must play in Englanish leagues but can be from any league so if you want to include your Sunday league side, premier side, championship, doesn't matter as long as they play in the English leagues.
  • You can import one team from any where in the world from any other league or nation but only the one.
  • You must give a reason for your selection "I enjoy the away day", "I have a personal rivalry with a mate who supports them", "I've always wanted to play them"

So heres mine

1 Grimsby
2 Scunthorpe obviously they are our rivals
3 Hull same as Scunthorpe
4 Lincoln same as Hull and Scunthorpe
5 Port Vale Born in Stoke they are my other side of the families team and its a local away day
6 Stoke City personal rivalry with basically all of Stoke on Trent I despise this team and its a local away day
7 Tamworth love the little ground they've got and its a local away day for me
8 Newcastle Town just round the corner for me. I see the ground every time I walk home from work never been in.
9 Liverpool never been always wanted to go
10 Manchester United same as Liverpool
11 Newcastle United got a few Newcastle mates who I know the banter with would be great
12 Fulham always had a little soft spot for the club I don't know why but I do
13 Wolverhampton Wonders local enough away day and always had a little bit of a soft spot for them
14 West Brom local enough away day plus a few mates who support them
15 Birmingham local enough away day for me
16 Walsal first team my brother ever saw us play and my second ever game
17 Stockport my first game was away watching them
18 Chesterfield only because my Dad get irate when ever we go there while driving and its often more entertaining watching him then the game
19 Cheltenham because of that one away game where Young dislocated his shoulder 3 times before being physically dragged off the field
20 Bayern Munich as my foreign import it was a toss up between them and Barcelona, but they way they run the club is admirable and Premiershite teams should take notice how they do
21 Oxford I've always wanted to go but never had the opportunity I don't know why but I always have
22 Kidderminster only for the food
23 Wrexham always enjoy the away day
24 Bournmouth great away day last time out and Eddie Howe has done wonders at that team

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
ex-merseymariner
April 26, 2015, 4:11pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
how about a new version of the premiership?

We could take Chelsea's place, Scunny could have Man City's and for some Yorkshire fixtures, I'd replace QPR with Sheff Weds, Spurs with Doncaster,and West Ham with Bradford and Palace with Huddersfield.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
LH
April 26, 2015, 4:14pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,459
Gold Stars: 172
I'd just like to see Town play in the top flight even if it was only for one season. I don't care who else is in there with us and I'm not arsed about the money we'd get from it etc. I'd probably go to every game of the season if we managed to get there one day.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
April 26, 2015, 11:36pm
Guest User
Quoted from LH
I'd just like to see Town play in the top flight even if it was only for one season. I don't care who else is in there with us and I'm not arsed about the money we'd get from it etc. I'd probably go to every game of the season if we managed to get there one day.

I have no aspirations to see Town in the Premier league. We'd be owned by a Dubai based consortium (course the consortium members would be up on various charges ranging from sex cases to yacht fraud), the team would be made up of foreign cheats earning more in a week than I earn in ten years yet still appearing in commercials for Pepsi. The manager, Diego Hoolio Domingez would only communicate via his interpreter (who is also his brother and 'chief scout'). Match tickets at £50 (to subscription members only who must have bought a ticket in the previous year), a requirement to purchase league cup tickets or your £1196 season ticket would be suspended and a beer and hot dog deal would be £8 but you wouldn't be able to get one as the queue for the 'Coca Cola' sponsored kiosk would stretch round the corner. Sat navs would be required for most fans to find Cleethorpes or the 'Al ahly stadium' (Sponsored by Visitdubai.com). Our shirt sponsors would be in Thai, the flashing electronic advertising boards would set my epilepsy off.

No ta, league one will do me - and the occasional visit to the championship.
Reply: 3 - 7
grimsby pete
April 27, 2015, 10:25am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Living in Suffolk any team that I can get to in 90 minutes would be great so,

Norwich, Ipswich, Cambridge, Histon, Colchester, Southend, Barnet, Welling, Dartford,

Ebbsfleet, Lowestoft , Bury Town ( St Edmunds ) Peterborough , Northampton.

Arsenal. Chelsea,  Spurs ,West Ham, QPR, C, Palace, Watford, Luton,

Some of the smaller teams will have to get some better players in as well as us ,

That will keep me busy on Saturdays.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
WappingMariner
April 27, 2015, 10:37am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +125
Right I was thinking about this yesterday when i heard on radio Humberside that Scunny had managed to stay up as I wanted them relegated so we played them next year when we get promoted   this led me to think about my ideal league.

OK rules are simple
  • Only 24 teams in the league one place taken by Grimsby already so that is 23 team to add
  • All teams must play in Englanish leagues but can be from any league so if you want to include your Sunday league side, premier side, championship, doesn't matter as long as they play in the English leagues.
  • You can import one team from any where in the world from any other league or nation but only the one.
  • You must give a reason for your selection "I enjoy the away day", "I have a personal rivalry with a mate who supports them", "I've always wanted to play them"

So heres mine

1 Grimsby
5 Port Vale Born in Stoke they are my other side of the families team and its a local away day
6 Stoke City personal rivalry with basically all of Stoke on Trent I despise this team and its a local away day
8 Newcastle Town just round the corner for me. I see the ground every time I walk home from work never been in.
11 Newcastle United got a few Newcastle mates who I know the banter with would be great
13 Wolverhampton Wonders local enough away day and always had a little bit of a soft spot for them
18 Chesterfield only because my Dad get irate when ever we go there while driving and its often more entertaining watching him then the game
19 Cheltenham because of that one away game where Young dislocated his shoulder 3 times before being physically dragged off the field
20 Bayern Munich as my foreign import it was a toss up between them and Barcelona, but they way they run the club is admirable and Premiershite teams should take notice how they do
21 Oxford I've always wanted to go but never had the opportunity I don't know why but I always have
24 Bournmouth great away day last time out and Eddie Howe has done wonders at that team

You're telling me you've taken time to think about this? Chuffing nora man.

We've got Jason Pearcey, number one, we've got the best team in the land...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
1mickylyons
April 27, 2015, 11:04am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56

OK rules are simple

So heres mine

1 Grimsby

No offence as I like the thread but you must be either quite young born out of Town or both for having 23 sides other than Grimsby who are not Yorkshire based? I would like to see the Leagues below the Prem regionalised to see better crowds at the lower levels but realistically I cant see that happening what is now League 2 and the Conference Prem should though be carved up that way in my opinion.
Ps though it goes against what ive put I would not object to being in a league with Pompey for some reason it has usually always turned out a good game with goals.

1 Scunny
2 Hull
3 Lincoln
4 Donny
5 Barnsley
6 Sheff Wed
7 Sheff Utd
8 Huddersfield
9 Bradford
10 York
11 Boston
12 Forest
13 Notts County
14 Derby
15 Chesterfield
16 Burton
17 Dirty Leeds
18 Blackpool (awayday)
19 Brentford (awayday)
20 Stoke (always a lively affair home and away)
21 Mansfield
22 Newcastle (ideas of grandeur and deserve bringing down to a more realistic level)
23 Sunderland (see above)
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
Abdul19
April 27, 2015, 1:38pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
23 teams worse than us

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Your ideal league

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.