Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Contenders?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 211 Guests

Contenders?

This thread currently has 5,389 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
October 18, 2015, 8:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Whatever you may think of PH and how the season has started one thing is worth noting and that is in the "pyramid" nobody has scored more goals than us and we have the best GD.

Looking at Luton and Barnet in the last 2 seasons they scored a lot on the way up so does this indicate that we are genuine contenders?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
dapperz fun pub
October 18, 2015, 8:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
We are genuine contenders we have the best squad since the slade days, we have a manager who can spot a player but can he get the tactics right and have a touch of luck on the way ?? I fooking hope he gets it right I hate this league our famous old proud club deserves more
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
sydney
October 18, 2015, 9:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
We will know a lot more after the Cheltenham game where we will finish amongst them and
Wrexham, Tranmere and Village Green Rovers.
I think that will be the top five
If we can win on the 30th we will be feared and have a strong chance of challenging for automatic
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
devs
October 18, 2015, 10:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 30
Cheltenham is a huge test - win that and we send out a real message of intent
It may be a so so standard this year and a lot of clubs will be in the mix, meaning we won't need a huge points haul to win the league

I can't work this league out - Lincoln did not impress me at all earlier in season and I thought they'd be mid table at best but they are 7th and if they win their game in hand are right in the mix

It still hasn't settled down IMO

I like the fact we have lost only two games - shows strength and the fact we are hard to beat

Just need to turn a few draws into wins

Can't be many better squads than ours in the league so we should mount a challenge especially when other teams with smaller squads get injuries and suspensions

But, my gut feeling is we lack something but I can't put my finger on it...killer instinct in tight matches??

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
ackomariner
October 19, 2015, 5:02am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from devs
Cheltenham is a huge test - win that and we send out a real message of intent
It may be a so so standard this year and a lot of clubs will be in the mix, meaning we won't need a huge points haul to win the league

I can't work this league out - Lincoln did not impress me at all earlier in season and I thought they'd be mid table at best but they are 7th and if they win their game in hand are right in the mix

It still hasn't settled down IMO

I like the fact we have lost only two games - shows strength and the fact we are hard to beat

Just need to turn a few draws into wins

Can't be many better squads than ours in the league so we should mount a challenge especially when other teams with smaller squads get injuries and suspensions

But, my gut feeling is we lack something but I can't put my finger on it...killer instinct in tight matches??

Good post and the answer to your last paragraph.... Centre midfield is the bit where we are lacking IMO, still not strong enough in there, but all about opinions

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
DocTower
October 19, 2015, 7:07am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from ackomariner

Good post and the answer to your last paragraph.... Centre midfield is the bit where we are lacking IMO, still not strong enough in there, but all about opinions

Correct Acko , but if some of us mention it we get slated . Forget last Tuesdays game , every other side we have played against seems to have a stand out midfielder who makes thing tick . Not saying our doesn't , just that our tick isn't loud enough .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
Mariner_09
October 19, 2015, 7:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Wouldn't say every other side has a bossing midfielder, Tranmere may have done with Jay Harris, but FGR were reliant on Parkin, I didn't see Wrexham but they had a 'so called' Number 10 in Vose, Gateshead, Lincoln and Bromley didn't look much to me. I do believe we still need a midfielder who is a bit more athletic, like Jack Payne, someone with a bit of pace, strength and drives into the box.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
headingly_mariner
October 19, 2015, 9:09am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from DocTower

Correct Acko , but if some of us mention it we get slated . Forget last Tuesdays game , every other side we have played against seems to have a stand out midfielder who makes thing tick . Not saying our doesn't , just that our tick isn't loud enough .

The best midfielder I've seen in this league so far this season has been Craig Disley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
Rodley Mariner
October 19, 2015, 9:16am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from headingly_mariner

The best midfielder I've seen in this league so far this season has been Craig Disley.

Agree. What we need to improve on is winning tight matches. We have only won one close one, against Gateshead, the others have been really comfortable wins. Just need to be a bit more clinical and cut out the silly mistakes (which we seem to have improved on) and we should start turning some of these draws into wins. Then we might take some stopping.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
HertsGTFC
October 19, 2015, 9:38am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Definitely not seen one better!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Contenders?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.