6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Trawler
November 20, 2015, 1:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Thank God for the Trust. A lot of sense to be found in the link below.  More progress has been made than others might think.

http://www.marinerstrust.co.uk/stadium/

Have a read.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
DocTower
November 20, 2015, 2:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Nice positive read , however robust the council have been it does seem to most that they have been dragging their feet .whatever decision is made someone somewhere won't be happy .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 55
ginnywings
November 20, 2015, 3:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
That tallies with my thinking on the matter. The council are obviously tempted by the regeneration aspect to the 2 sites added, namely Freemo and the Docks, with the grants available to them for such a scheme. It could be a nice double whammy if it were to happen but it would be a far more complicated and protracted route than the PP one. Either way it sounds promising.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 55
rancido
November 20, 2015, 3:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
It certainly makes very interesting reading and demonstrates how much is going on in the background that we fans know nothing about. It also questions the assistance that previous Council administrations , especially the LibDems under De Freitas, have given to this project. Maybe , as the statement says , this whole thing could have been sorted out several years ago if the whole idea of a community project had been looked into by the then Council.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 55
pizzzza
November 20, 2015, 7:34pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
I am glad that people find this a positive delvelopment because I am rather struggling here Now, I don't claim to understand these things inside out but what happens if the council's study recommends a site that differs to the recommendation of the club's study (ie not Peaks Parkway)? I can only see that we enter another period of stalemate and the thing spins out for umpteen more years.

And even if the council does recommend PP we still need to secure this 'enabling development' right?
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 55
grimsby pete
November 20, 2015, 7:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Can the Trust give us some idea when they think we will have a new stadium,

BECAUSE

I can not see it happening any time soon,

We have only been waiting about 20 years after all.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 55
KingstonMariner
November 20, 2015, 8:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido
It certainly makes very interesting reading and demonstrates how much is going on in the background that we fans know nothing about. It also questions the assistance that previous Council administrations , especially the LibDems under De Freitas, have given to this project. Maybe , as the statement says , this whole thing could have been sorted out several years ago if the whole idea of a community project had been looked into by the then Council.

I'd bet that the council is more supportive these days because the ordinary fans, through the Trust, have more ownership (literally) and more control of the cub than previously. It makes the whole idea of it being a community club/stadium more credible and therefore more likely to be worthy of support by public bodies.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 55
immariner
November 20, 2015, 10:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
I would dearly love the Freemo Street location to work for so many reasons: position being just off the A180 and not far from town, good transport links, regeneration of that sorry area (imagine that area in 10/20/30 years' time with little investment *shudders*). However, I'm struggling to envision how it would be feasible and how the site would be big enough for any enabling development (retail/houses) plus community facilities. It does seem that PP is the only viable solution without a framework being put forward for Freemo that would allow people to see beyond the obvious obstacles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 55
mirrorballman
November 21, 2015, 7:17am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +552
Gold Stars: 8
The whole picture changes if we can replace the need for enabling development with funding from councill/government grants, FSIF, fans etc.
This is a great opportunity for the council to act on either Garth Lane or Freemo. Two town centre brownfield sites, and as immariner points out, Freemo desperately needs something. It shouldn't be forgotten also that Garth Lane topped the SLR survey.
Can you imagine the buzz around the town on a matchday at either site? Amazing. It would be a boost for the club during the week too, having the club shop, ticket office, bar, restaurant in a location with greater passing footfall.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 55
NorthseaMariner
November 21, 2015, 1:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,518
Gold Stars: 11
For me, I like the Morrisons scheme as you could build and sell houses there, as good a road links as yo get in Grimsby and room for car parks etc. I think. The down side is cost of the land. The GET said there would be complaints from Laceby, but I don't really think that should be a problem.
But at the end of the day I would just like to see a Stadium built somewhere
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 55
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust View on new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.