2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
The Yard Dog
November 29, 2015, 3:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 74
Cheltenham share Whaddon Road football ground with Gloucester City football club, what impact if any with it have on Cheltenham in the second half of the season?

If we have a bad winter, more likely to have games called off, especially with two teams using the pitch.

Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
November 29, 2015, 3:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Didn't know that and it's an interesting point but Cheltenham look like a side capable of grinding out results in a boringly efficient way. I think they will take some stopping now and we need to beat them in their own back yard to have a chance of the title IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
dapperz fun pub
November 29, 2015, 4:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
They have a very experienced manager someone who gets the best out of what he's got very similar to John still ,still think we are capable of a Mansfield type end of season run
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 29, 2015, 4:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
It's a right excrement hole of a ground! In fact it's one I hate going to (thanks Newell). I know it's a long time til April, but, I would say it'll be like playin on a cross of Donna nook bombing range and ploggers by then. Expect all pubs around Cheltenham to be closed to town fans again! Maybe I've been in gloucester too long but I really despise that Mickey Mouse outfit (no offence to anyone at the Disney corporation)

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
barralad
November 29, 2015, 6:49pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
It's a right excrement hole of a ground! In fact it's one I hate going to (thanks Newell). I know it's a long time til April, but, I would say it'll be like playin on a cross of Donna nook bombing range and ploggers by then. Expect all pubs around Cheltenham to be closed to town fans again! Maybe I've been in gloucester too long but I really despise that Mickey Mouse outfit (no offence to anyone at the Disney corporation)

Fortunately I missed Mr Newell's visit so have happy memories of two (consecutive?) league wins there-both at night I think. I hope they see the sense of giving us that new(ish) big stand.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 29, 2015, 7:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
The Friday night win (bonfire night/Halloween? Circa 2006) was great. Brilliant night out in Cheltenham after too. That game where we played like Brazil first half and a pack of rizlas second half has tainted things!

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
FishOutOfWater
November 30, 2015, 12:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
The Friday night win (bonfire night/Halloween? Circa 2006) was great. Brilliant night out in Cheltenham after too. That game where we played like Brazil first half and a pack of rizlas second half has tainted things!

I've said before, if we had won that one game ( and I know a massive IF bearing in mind 45 games followed it ) then it would have been Cheltenham relegated and not us.. arguably the most significant 6 pointer we've ever had

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 12
ginnywings
November 30, 2015, 6:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I've said before, if we had won that one game ( and I know a massive IF bearing in mind 45 games followed it ) then it would have been Cheltenham relegated and not us.. arguably the most significant 6 pointer we've ever had

This seasons 6 pointers could also be significant. They have already won the first meeting and i think we may have to win the second at theirs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
KingstonMariner
November 30, 2015, 10:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I seem to remember us winning both normal games against them in 2005-06. Just the play off final that let us down.

Like Barra, I remember seeing us win (Friday?) night games at Whaddon Road in 04-05 and 05-06. Both by big scores. 3 or 4 goals each including a couple of lightning fast breakaways by Michael Reddy. And was the chap allegedly with the 3rd leg who scored from a long way out (ooh er missus) in the first game?

Thought the ground was a bit crap then, but subsequent experience has shown it to be typical of the grounds we've become accustomed to since those days.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
GYinScuntland
November 30, 2015, 11:27pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 97
It's a proper tip and a pain to get to and away from. Cracking boozers in town though so a good away one in my eyes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Whaddon Road

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.