4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Zmariner
February 9, 2016, 10:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,115
Gold Stars: 44
Firstly, great result as I could not see a winner coming.
Ground sodden and so Town played the ball in the air a lot.Wind did not help. Not a great plan as they were bigger and stronger.
First half they scored from their first attack, only when their fans cheered I worked out where they were. We pushed and Nolan's goal was a great shot from just outside the box. Neither side was creating anything and so a bit out of the blue. Nolan got pushed around for the first 20 mins but got better and I was quite impressed. He adds something to the team and was the pick of the midfield. Up to half time we were pushing and looking good with Amond stinging the goal keepers hands, we also hit the post.
After half time we started slowly and Bromley shaded it , again a few corners but no real chances, Bogle off limping I think but he and Amond did not have good games. Arnold offered more from the wing. Winner came out of the blue and made for a great finale. They nearly equalised from a close range header. They were very poor but we were not much better and in my opinion cry out for a striker who can hold the ball. Tait was decent, Nolan played well, Toto solid but MOM for me was Gowling. Outstanding in difficult conditions. To be honest this review would have been harsh but for the winner as we were not great but winning is everything and so a great night
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Garth
February 9, 2016, 10:58pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Thanks for that, it looks like we will get another body in up front after this weekend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 31
ginnywings
February 9, 2016, 11:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,097
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Zmariner
Firstly, great result as I could not see a winner coming.
Ground sodden and so Town played the ball in the air a lot.Wind did not help. Not a great plan as they were bigger and stronger.
First half they scored from their first attack, only when their fans cheered I worked out where they were. We pushed and Nolan's goal was a great shot from just outside the box. Neither side was creating anything and so a bit out of the blue. Nolan got pushed around for the first 20 mins but got better and I was quite impressed. He adds something to the team and was the pick of the midfield. Up to half time we were pushing and looking good with Amond stinging the goal keepers hands, we also hit the post.
After half time we started slowly and Bromley shaded it , again a few corners but no real chances, Bogle off limping I think but he and Amond did not have good games. Arnold offered more from the wing. Winner came out of the blue and made for a great finale. They nearly equalised from a close range header. They were very poor but we were not much better and in my opinion cry out for a striker who can hold the ball. Tait was decent, Nolan played well, Toto solid but MOM for me was Gowling. Outstanding in difficult conditions. To be honest this review would have been harsh but for the winner as we were not great but winning is everything and so a great night
UTM

We've needed this for a while, someone who can score from range and i totally agree on the striker to hold up the ball, especially away from home. LJL was a very good at being the spearhead. Pity we didn't have Podge alongside him last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
Caesar
February 9, 2016, 11:59pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Well that was a great result without anything else great at all except maybe the Bovril.  

Any atmosphere from a large Town following was sucked away instantly with their opening goal that seemed to come from a nothing ball into the box.  I cannot really justify why I think this but I want Pearson back in the team, I don't know that anything different would of happened with their goal as I couldn't make enough out to see if anyone was to blame, and I think it is somewhat unfair as Toto played well and Gowling was immense, probablly MOM (friend who came along commented on how Gowling put his head on everything) but I just feel Shaun would bring more confidence to those situations.

After that we played reasonably in the first half with Arnold looking dangerous again, but apart from Nolans wonder strike and a good Podge effort from range we didn't really test them too much.  Second half was really poor from both sides and looked to be going to a dull 1-1 when we won a free kick that was put in with real quality and nicked that vital win.  It was not the performance we wanted but we got the result and hopefully can continue doing that until we improve and start playing better football again.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 31
davmariner
February 10, 2016, 12:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,910
Gold Stars: 78
Interesting insight Caesar. Ta for sharing.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 31
Theimperialcoroner
February 10, 2016, 12:24am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,138
Gold Stars: 102
My toes are still frozen. Heart warmed by a he result though.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
Davec
February 10, 2016, 12:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
That speaker in the corner behind the goal near the catering van was so so loud until a young lad pulled the wires out, that gave us some peace and quiet.

Good job the wires weren't live otherwise he could have given himself an electric shock
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2016, 12:59am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Mariner summed it up pretty well.

New lads looked good. Very well taken goal by Nolan ("there is your goal and there are your posts"*). Side better balanced. Buckleyballish. But we kept lobbing high balls in which their big blokes dealt with comfortably all night. We had that many goes that eventually something would go in and JP got it.

Not convincing from a promotion seeking side, but what do I know. I probably read the Sun, watch Sky and am obsessed with the managerial merry go round and berate our goalkeeper when he's recovering from Meningitis. Same goes for the bloke I was talking to who has a season ticket and has been watching since he was a kid in the 50s. He knows fack all and doesn't care about the game, much less Grimsby Town.

Bromley missed a bigger pay day by not letting us get through to the bar. Was mightily relieved when their speaker "died"  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
Theimperialcoroner
February 10, 2016, 1:02am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,138
Gold Stars: 102
We got a late goal against a side trying to impress a new manager. Just what Chelts have been doing. Banana skin avoided.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
Davec
February 10, 2016, 1:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Kingstonmariner a young guy disconnected it,

And a small chant went out which seemed to mention that the infamous Aaron Rattray disconnected it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.