Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 17, 2013, 4:53pm
Same old story for me.  Listened on Radio and sounded dire.  Still a problem with the midfield (there has been for years and years). Players not motivated (seemingly) and tactics not good.

How long do we give the deadly duo before we get rid.

Just for the record I stuck up for them before in the interest of continuity. But FFS  :(
Posted by: Garth, August 17, 2013, 4:56pm; Reply: 1
Midfield poor, defence minus Miller and Pearson poor, bad luck that we lost two players through injury but it shows how weak we are in depth, time to look at the loan market
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 17, 2013, 5:01pm; Reply: 2
It sounded dreadfull
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 17, 2013, 5:02pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Garth
Midfield poor, defence minus Miller and Pearson poor, bad luck that we lost two players through injury but it shows how weak we are in depth, time to look at the loan market

Three games in and we are looking at the loan market. FFS
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 17, 2013, 5:04pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
It sounded dreadfull

I bet being there was even worse....at least I can turn off the radio and try to forget but when you've got to get back home after witnessing a poor performance, it sticks with you more

Wonder who will be out for the post match interview trying to defend themselves and the players today eh? :-/
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 17, 2013, 5:04pm; Reply: 5
Burnsy said a set piece with 2 mins to go and we leave our giant at the back?? Early doors but like he also said a promotion team needs a promotion squad :( sounds good logic to me
Posted by: Sigone, August 17, 2013, 5:18pm; Reply: 6
I fear for J.T safety having to interview Shouty.  Maybe they will send up Shorty instead.
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 17, 2013, 5:20pm; Reply: 7
Burnsy was there.  Why not go the full monty and send him to do the post match interview.  He could also ask if JF wants a word as well  ;)
Posted by: GrimRob, August 17, 2013, 5:35pm; Reply: 8
The match deserved to be 0-0 really. Welling only really looked dangerous in the last few minutes when they started to run at Town and realised the game was there for the taking. Town looked the more likely to win before that.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 17, 2013, 5:48pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from GrimRob
The match deserved to be 0-0 really. Welling only really looked dangerous in the last few minutes when they started to run at Town and realised the game was there for the taking. Town looked the more likely to win before that.

So when they realised how poor we are they upped their game and beat us  :'(
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 17, 2013, 5:49pm; Reply: 10
The worrying fact is that Town failed to score. It is all very well for Scott & Hurst to say there is a great choice of class strikers at the club but only 2 of them are genuine goal poachers and neither was fit today.

The other thing is that if you play 4-3-3 you must have a front 3 where all of them are a genuine goal threat and have pace. If there's an injury and you can't replace like with like then your best bet is a switch to 4-4-2. If you don't then the midfield just gets pushed back and you are left with a lone striker.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 17, 2013, 6:36pm; Reply: 11
I see Miller and Cambridge are top of the league,

If only eh !
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 17, 2013, 7:05pm; Reply: 12
It is still early doors but it is the lack of enthusiasm from the kick off, lack of fire in the belly for a fight and none of the players grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck stamping their authority on the game that is pish.
Posted by: gobby, August 17, 2013, 7:10pm; Reply: 13
Note to ones self: Stop taking the enthusiasm from an improved performance the game before into the next game, it only leaves you fustrated. 8)
UTMM
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 17, 2013, 7:27pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from gobby
Note to ones self: Stop taking the enthusiasm from an improved performance the game before into the next game, it only leaves you fustrated. 8)
UTMM

Echo that sentiment Gobby....all it does is leave you feeling flatter than you would have done if your expectations hadn't been upped

Posted by: GrimRob, August 17, 2013, 7:37pm; Reply: 15
Slade used to play with 3 up front and it really worked well for a while. Stan, Reddy and Parky all could score and were basically strikers. We're only playing with one out and out striker and 2 wide players, and he's got a very poor goals ratio as I recall. It's more like 4-5-1 to me than 4-3-3.
Posted by: Bovine, August 17, 2013, 8:11pm; Reply: 16
The biggest disappointment from today was the performance. After 15 minutes we seemed to be well in control with lots of possession and balls delivered into the box. From there we ran out of ideas, then Welling realised we had nothing else to offer and came at us.

After 90 minutes we didn't have a meaningful effort on goal. It's early days but it's hard to see us scoring enough with the tactics as they are to be promoted. The shop was busy while on but had no clear cut chances and little support.
Posted by: GrimRob, August 17, 2013, 8:22pm; Reply: 17
I don't really understand why we changed the tactics in the summer. Last season was a success by anyone's standards and we came close to the ultimate prize. Attendances were up, so the public were happy too - the usual moaners aside, but they still come. I'd take finishing fourth every year, eventually you'll get promoted.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 17, 2013, 8:39pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from GrimRob
I don't really understand why we changed the tactics in the summer. Last season was a success by anyone's standards and we came close to the ultimate prize. Attendances were up, so the public were happy too - the usual moaners aside, but they still come. I'd take finishing fourth every year, eventually you'll get promoted.

I thought the managers had more savvy. The way out is down to hard work and pace in the side no matter what system you use plus you need one or two proven goalscorers. If Hearn had been fit last year I am 90% sure we would have gone up so why change everything?

Posted by: Ruston AT, August 17, 2013, 10:56pm; Reply: 19
I've been a supporter of the dynamic duo over the last couple of years but listening to the match today leaves me wondering! How much more of this awful football can I stand, this has been going on since last Christmas and from what I've seen it will not improve!
More than us losing, how irritating was a certain Mr Burns making inane comments, he really does need to go back over the river and suck up to the targers. I really hate the fact that when DB did make a reasonable comment he was right!
Sorry dynamic duo time to go!
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 17, 2013, 11:02pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Ruston AT
I've been a supporter of the dynamic duo over the last couple of years but listening to the match today leaves me wondering! How much more of this awful football can I stand, this has been going on since last Christmas and from what I've seen it will not improve!
More than us losing, how irritating was a certain Mr Burns making inane comments, he really does need to go back over the river and suck up to the targers. I really hate the fact that when DB did make a reasonable comment he was right!
Sorry dynamic duo time to go!

I think burnsy today was just on one big urine take but facts are the game was fooking rubbish and gtfc being a big club in this league its simply not good enough. Btw i hope chelsea slam ten past the mud rat tomoz and steve bruce chins burnsy for asking after the game what happened their steve
Posted by: barralad, August 17, 2013, 11:45pm; Reply: 21
Been back an hour trying to make some sense out of what I witnessed-especially in the second half. To be fair we shaded the first half although our only attempt worthy of the description was a header from "Old" MacDonald which hit the top of the bar. Macca didn't have a save of note to make in the entire half.
I don't pretend to be a master tactician but my aged aunt could identify that whatever it purports to be our formation ISN'T 4-3-3. No end of times "The Shop" was ploughing a lone furrow. The wide men are inconsistent-especially Colbeck who unerringly manages a good cross followed by a very poor one.
Once John-Lewis went off injured (one of the very few who appears to be willing to die for the cause) any attacking "nous" went with him.
I'm making the assumption that our "formation" requires the midfield three to get forward in support. Today it just didn't happen. Disley (although one of the brighter players) is playing far too deep. Kerr doesn't appear to have "the legs" for what is required and McLoughlin reminds me of Frankie Artus at his most ineffective.
Perhaps I'm over simplifying the issues but there are a lot of teams in this league who put themselves about in midfield. We appear woefully inadequate in dealing with them. Both Kerr and Paddy were guilty of dabbing a foot in on several occasions.
Defensively Aswad was the pick of the bunch for me. MacDonald appears to be unable to jump. Presumably he thinks he doesn't need to given that he's 6 feet 7.
Macca lacks confidence in those in front of him.
The goal although very well taken was ridiculous in it's construction. The scorer was allowed to come inside and fire an unstoppable shot without a Town defender getting within five yards of him.
Southwell had an interesting cameo role for the last few minutes and could have got us a point but shot straight at the keeper.
A 14 player melee saw the referee bottle it when the main protagonist-Wellings number 5 was allowed to go head to head with the shop and ALLEGEDLY make unsavoury comments without any form of punishment.
Just like Aldershot last Saturday Welling refused to let Town settle enough to play their new found "pretty football"-a situation that I suspect will be played out again and again over the coming weeks. The issue for Messrs Scott and Hurst is do they have a Plan B?
Posted by: 75 (Guest), August 18, 2013, 12:16am; Reply: 22
I was there, sadly. Only a short one from me as I've been on it all day but it was absolutely dreadful, shocking in fact. They couldn't pass, tackle and they seemed clueless against the worst opposition I can remember although to be fair to Welling, the gave it everything they had. But they were so limited I almost pitied them, all they had was direct balls and pick up the pieces. The only time they ran at us, they scored. It was terrible, horrific. I wish I had the words to convey how bad we were. NO shots on goal, their keeper should have kept his glove off and had a picnic.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 18, 2013, 12:35am; Reply: 23
Desperately sorry for those who did go today going on their reports of the game

It's not often I go on other fans sites but thought I would tonight just to see if they are all on cloud nine about taking our scalp but to be fair they've given their own honest assessments of what they saw

It's more like an acceptance that they've beaten a bad team rather than their own guys rising to the occasion and playing out of their skins, which to me is more an indictment of how poor we were than any other reason as to why we came away with nothing

http://wellingunited.activeboard.com/t54681289/wings-vs-grimsby-thread/?page=2&sort=oldestFirst

Back to the drawing board for next week then....
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 18, 2013, 12:58am; Reply: 24
From reading their board it seems that a Town fan has punched one of the dressing room windows through.  That'll be an expensive trip back down for the banning order  :-/
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 18, 2013, 8:45am; Reply: 25
[quote=228The issue for Messrs Scott and Hurst is do they have a Plan B?[/quote]

In order for a plan "B" Barra, there has to be a plan "A" :-/
Posted by: rancido, August 18, 2013, 10:27am; Reply: 26
Quoted from grimsby pete
I see Miller and Cambridge are top of the league,

If only eh !

But Miller didn't want to stay because his wife didn't like the area.I was informed of this by a reliable source within the club ( who's identity, for obvious reasons ,I won't divulge ).
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 18, 2013, 11:03am; Reply: 27
Quoted from rancido

But Miller didn't want to stay because his wife didn't like the area.I was informed of this by a reliable source within the club ( who's identity, for obvious reasons ,I won't divulge ).

The cheeky cow...
Posted by: Garth, August 18, 2013, 1:06pm; Reply: 28
From having a somewhat successful team last season we have now signed players who`s egos seemed to be larger than their ability to compete to win, why the need for such drastic changes befuddles me, can we honestly say that our back four are now  better than the water tight defence of last season, are the so called quality players from York playing the opposition off the park and feeding the strikers telling passes, IMO we now have strikers when fit to make a fist of scoring within  this league if given the right service, and don`t talk to me about plan B when there is no A.
We seem to be going backwards when after three games the performances in two of them are diabolical  
Posted by: Alfie, August 18, 2013, 1:36pm; Reply: 29
[img]http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/60584000/jpg/_60584387_60584386.jpg[/img]
Posted by: GrimRob, August 18, 2013, 6:18pm; Reply: 30
4 points from 3 games all against probable bottom feeders, another bottom feeder to follow. Failure to get 3 points against a side we have stuffed at home the last two years would be a mini-disaster.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 18, 2013, 7:08pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from rancido

I agree, Miller said he would like to stay but he already had a better offer from Cambridge,

Mrs Miller is from Bury St Edmunds the same as Ian,

So there was no chance of us keeping him unless we paid over the odds,

I expect her little business in Darlington will soon be moving back home to Bury St Edmunds.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 18, 2013, 8:49pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from grimsby pete

I agree, Miller said he would like to stay but he already had a better offer from Cambridge,

Mrs Miller is from Bury St Edmunds the same as Ian,

So there was no chance of us keeping him unless we paid over the odds,

I expect her little business in Darlington will soon be moving back home to Bury St Edmunds.

Ding dong...Avon calling Pete?  ;)
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 18, 2013, 9:02pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Why did the Avon lady get pregnant ?

because Max Factor !!

(First heard at St Mary's Juniors circa 1974)  ;)
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 18, 2013, 9:53pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Civvy at last

Why did the Avon lady get pregnant ?

because Max Factor !!

(First heard at St Mary's Juniors circa 1974)  ;)

Shame that wasnt your 7000 th post. Such a classic ;D

Posted by: grimsby pete, August 19, 2013, 6:29pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Close,  Hair and beauty salon. :)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 19, 2013, 7:25pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from grimsby pete

Close,  Hair and beauty salon. :)

Bet you're looking forward to her sorting you out with a short back & sides then eh?  :P
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 4:45pm