Posted by: Les Brechin, December 11, 2013, 2:36pm
Saturday 4 January 2014
Blackburn Rovers v Manchester City (12.45pm) – Live on BT Sport
Arsenal v Tottenham Hotspur (5.15pm) – Live on ITV

Sunday 5 January 2014
Nottingham Forest v West Ham United (12.00) – Live on ITV
Derby County v Chelsea (2.15pm) – Live on BT Sport
Manchester United v Swansea City (4.30pm) – Live on BT Sport

Man Utd v Swansea!!!!! Why? 2 average mid-table Premiership sides who have been on TV loads of times this season already. I'd much rather watch a game such as Rochdale v Leeds or a similar game such as ours where one of the lowest ranked sides left has a chance of a cup upset.

Whatever happened to the romance of The FA Cup.
Posted by: psgmariner, December 11, 2013, 3:00pm; Reply: 1
No real surprise is it?

This means ours is a 3pm kick off then yeah? Shame about the money but pleased if so.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 11, 2013, 3:05pm; Reply: 2
It's annoying they always pick Man U but to be expected by now. Maybe BBC having the cup rights back will change this? (I doubt it!)
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, December 11, 2013, 3:06pm; Reply: 3
BT Sport will have made a pretty simple commercial decision over which games available to them will get the highest viewing figures. More people will watch Man Utd vs Swansea than would watch Rochdale vs Leeds or Grimsby vs Huddersfield. This will mean more people are likely to take out new subscriptions and advertising revenue will be greater.
Posted by: psgmariner, December 11, 2013, 3:06pm; Reply: 4
Would be funny if we draw Man U next round and they decide not to pick it!
Posted by: psgmariner, December 11, 2013, 3:08pm; Reply: 5
Are Al Jazeera showing any games?

I heard we made quite an impression over in the Gulf...
Posted by: mike502, December 11, 2013, 3:53pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Les Brechin

Man Utd v Swansea!!!!! Why? 2 average mid-table Premiership sides who have been on TV loads of times this season already. I'd much rather watch a game such as Rochdale v Leeds or a similar game such as ours where one of the lowest ranked sides left has a chance of a cup upset.

Whatever happened to the romance of The FA Cup.

Because Man Utd are ALWAYS on. See http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jan/23/manchester-united-fa-cup-live-tv - the last Man Utd FA Cup game not to be on live TV was their 0-0 draw with Exeter, 9 years ago.

One interesting question is whether having a "live broadcast fee" is sensible.  Why do 10 clubs - picked at the whim of TV executives - pick up an extra £144k each?  Wouldn't it be more equitable to share the £1.44 million, either between all the clubs competing in the round, or between all the winners - effectively adding it to the prize money?   What exactly are these 10 clubs being rewarded (or remunerated) for?

Posted by: Les Brechin, December 11, 2013, 3:53pm; Reply: 7
Apparently Man Utd have now had 42 successive FA Cup games live on TV. The last Man Utd FA Cup game that wasn't televised live was in 2005 when they played then, non league Exeter City at home!!!
Posted by: highcliff mariner, December 11, 2013, 4:03pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from mike502

Because Man Utd are ALWAYS on. See http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jan/23/manchester-united-fa-cup-live-tv - the last Man Utd FA Cup game not to be on live TV was their 0-0 draw with Exeter, 9 years ago.

One interesting question is whether having a "live broadcast fee" is sensible.  Why do 10 clubs - picked at the whim of TV executives - pick up an extra £144k each?  Wouldn't it be more equitable to share the £1.44 million, either between all the clubs competing in the round, or between all the winners - effectively adding it to the prize money?   What exactly are these 10 clubs being rewarded (or remunerated) for?

Perhaps Man utd need the money ?
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, December 11, 2013, 4:31pm; Reply: 9
Maybe they should share it equally between everybody who makes the fourth qualifying round. Just to be sure.
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 11, 2013, 4:36pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from highcliff mariner

Perhaps Man utd need the money ?

If they are paying Rooney over £200,000 per week,

AND

Others £100,000 per week,

They need all the money they can get.(anger3)
Posted by: nico, December 11, 2013, 4:42pm; Reply: 11
might get FiveLive coverage or talksport for live commentary which would be good to get national coverage, I know its not the money, but good publicity.
Posted by: GrimRob, December 11, 2013, 5:14pm; Reply: 12
Sadly it's all about attracting advertisers to part with vast sums of money. We'd probably have to get to the semis before they'd stoop to show us live.

The best we can hope for is that buffoon Matt Smith and recorded highlights.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 11, 2013, 5:46pm; Reply: 13
I know he seemed to lose the power of reading during the draw but I usually think Matt Smith's pretty good.
Posted by: cleemaddog, December 11, 2013, 6:51pm; Reply: 14
As far as I'm away the reason clubs get TV money is to compensate for all the fans staying at home to watch and not put money through the turnstiles?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 11, 2013, 7:33pm; Reply: 15
Thought we actually had a chance! Am sure they had Luton v millwall last season
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, December 11, 2013, 7:50pm; Reply: 16
Typical greed, money goes to money yet again.
Posted by: supertown, December 11, 2013, 8:02pm; Reply: 17
that's a truly amazing statistic
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 11, 2013, 9:06pm; Reply: 18
"Just in news" shows 5th Jan as the date for the Huddersfield game....think it's the 4th unless there's something I've missed?  :-/

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/justin.php?id=605
Posted by: Abdul19, December 11, 2013, 9:30pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Thought we actually had a chance! Am sure they had Luton v millwall last season

They did, but I think that was the 5th round, so only 8 ties to choose from (instead of 32).
Posted by: chaos33, December 11, 2013, 10:51pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Typical greed, money goes to money yet again.

This
Posted by: BIGChris, December 12, 2013, 1:39pm; Reply: 21
Town one of the games chosen for extended highlights so another £6750 in the bag!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 12, 2013, 3:16pm; Reply: 22
Can't really grumble. How much is that so far bc?
Posted by: moosey_club, December 12, 2013, 3:44pm; Reply: 23
I for one am glad, quite like not getting the coverage and the circus with it, should we beat Huddersfield that will change however.....we will then be inundated with media, interviewing any half witted scrote they can find in Freeman St who still thinks Lawrie Mac is the manager, additional coverage will create hundreds of thousands of worldwide plastic fans wanting us to win.....before you know it....you will have to buy a five year season ticket bond to stand a chance of seeing the team you have grown up with, prawn sandwiches and champagne replace hot dogs and bovril, the whole matchday experience will be sold to corporate giants who give tickets away to visiting Japanese businessmen in an attempt to woo their business, the club becomes an even bigger play thing of unnamed offshore consortium who hike up ticket prices to unimaginable levels of proposterous money all with a promise of seeing the two time semi finalists and Old Trafford record attendance holding club attempting to win a match against higher opposition and in an attempt to become even more financially rich an application to the FA for a name change to Grimsby Underdogs to capture the hearts and cash of every underdog out there.. ...is that what you want? Cos thats what will happen!*

Terms and conditions;
*may not actually happen
Posted by: barralad, December 12, 2013, 3:52pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from moosey_club
I for one am glad, quite like not getting the coverage and the circus with it, should we beat Huddersfield that will change however.....we will then be inundated with media, interviewing any half witted scrote they can find in Freeman St who still thinks Lawrie Mac is the manager, additional coverage will create hundreds of thousands of worldwide plastic fans wanting us to win.....before you know it....you will have to buy a five year season ticket bond to stand a chance of seeing the team you have grown up with, prawn sandwiches and champagne replace hot dogs and bovril, the whole matchday experience will be sold to corporate giants who give tickets away to visiting Japanese businessmen in an attempt to woo their business, the club becomes an even bigger play thing of unnamed offshore consortium who hike up ticket prices to unimaginable levels of proposterous money all with a promise of seeing the two time semi finalists and Old Trafford record attendance holding club attempting to win a match against higher opposition and in an attempt to become even more financially rich an application to the FA for a name change to Grimsby Underdogs to capture the hearts and cash of every underdog out there.. ...is that what you want? Cos thats what will happen!*

Terms and conditions;
*may not actually happen

Brilliant!!  ;D
Posted by: moosey_club, December 13, 2013, 10:36am; Reply: 25
Quoted from barralad

Brilliant!!  ;D

(thanks)
Posted by: gary_elton, December 13, 2013, 10:40am; Reply: 26
That was good Moosey... you almost had me going along with that... almost...

it was the thought of prawn sarnies that brought me back to Earth... Haddock an' Chips wi'
a healthy dollop of mushy peas... now we're talkin...  :)
Posted by: Caesar, December 13, 2013, 11:02am; Reply: 27
Concur with others although scrawling through I almost missed the T&C!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 13, 2013, 12:27pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from moosey_club

Terms and conditions;
*may not actually happen

Can you still get Bovril at BP??

I tried I don't know how many times to buy it but was told it was "out of stock"...no pun intended by the "sales" staff  ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, December 13, 2013, 1:33pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I tried I don't know how many times to buy it but was told it was "out of stock"...no pun intended by the "sales" staff  ;)

Plenty of Bovril in the Main Stand, in both the Family and Players lounges. Only a quid in the Family Lounge and profits go to the Yoot.

Persoanlly, i don't drink boiled beef bones. ;)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 13, 2013, 1:46pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from ginnywings

Plenty of Bovril in the Main Stand, in both the Family and Players lounges. Only a quid in the Family Lounge and profits go to the Yoot.

Persoanlly, i don't drink boiled beef bones. ;)

Bit like Marmite I guess....you either love it or you hate it (thumbup)(thumbdown)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 14, 2013, 3:04pm; Reply: 31
Mmmmmmmmm Bovril, marmite, and all those meat type things!

In fact, just give me a cup of gravy!

Northern boys love gravy
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 14, 2013, 3:08pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Mmmmmmmmm Bovril, marmite, and all those meat type things!

In fact, just give me a cup of gravy!

Northern boys love gravy

Remember the Bisto boys..... ;)

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2irkb5f.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by: grimsby pete, December 14, 2013, 5:38pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

You can always take some in with your flask Tim. :) :)
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 8:44am