Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: crusty ole pie, February 1, 2014, 1:57pm
Apart from the obvious anyone now what our super duper score board is going to do will it be able to show instant replays I wonder
Posted by: Mariner21, February 1, 2014, 4:03pm; Reply: 1
Fenty snapping flags on loop!!
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, February 1, 2014, 6:06pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Apart from the obvious anyone now what our super duper score board is going to do will it be able to show instant replays I wonder

No, as the PA box has no way of editing the live gantry feed,
It will show hopefully replays at half time and maybe the live pre kickoff game if allowed
Posted by: acko338, February 1, 2014, 6:23pm; Reply: 3
Instant replay - no, please .... no Dan Hartman music videos !!
Posted by: Green27, February 1, 2014, 6:30pm; Reply: 4
So it will be a proper screen? Very impressive.
Posted by: LH, February 1, 2014, 6:32pm; Reply: 5
I'm a bit worried about the placing of it (Osmond/Findus corner). I've seen some of LJL's shooting this season!
Posted by: Youngy, February 1, 2014, 6:43pm; Reply: 6
I hope we see the return of the cowboys shooting guns with 'make some noise boys' and David Burys Scoreflash
Posted by: tashee69, February 1, 2014, 7:03pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from LH
I'm a bit worried about the placing of it (Osmond/Findus corner).

So am I, I can't see it !! Boo, Grimsby Boo !!
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, February 1, 2014, 8:49pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Green27
So it will be a proper screen? Very impressive.

I was wondering that, probs be 1900s big pixel blocks score board
Posted by: psgmariner, February 2, 2014, 6:32am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Youngy
I hope we see the return of the cowboys shooting guns with 'make some noise boys' and David Burys Scoreflash

Lolzzzzz.

I liked the fishing line and then the 'sing when we're fishing' text. Great times.
Posted by: grimps, February 2, 2014, 8:23am; Reply: 10
Let's hope it can still give us a wave
Posted by: grimps, February 2, 2014, 8:23am; Reply: 11
Posted by: Mariner21, February 2, 2014, 10:02am; Reply: 12
So they are expecting it to arrive this week? Fitted in time for next home game?
Posted by: crusty ole pie, February 2, 2014, 10:12am; Reply: 13
It's already here. Boy Scouts are in training understand it's going to be a bit retro with the lads hanging numbers on hooks at half time like in the 60s
And if your too young to know what I mean ask your dad
Posted by: hook line and sinker, February 2, 2014, 10:20am; Reply: 14
seriously is it going to have replays and highlights? cant see that happening myself. i assumed it will be the same as the last one with score and time on it
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 2, 2014, 10:42am; Reply: 15
Quoted from grimps

;D

Brilliant

***scoreflash***
Posted by: lobsterpot, February 2, 2014, 9:09pm; Reply: 16
So it hasnt been established yet...IS IT A PROPER POSH SCREEN THINGY?? Someone told me it is from Blackpool ???
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, February 2, 2014, 9:24pm; Reply: 17
seriously is it going to have replays and highlights? cant see that happening myself. i assumed it will be the same as the last one with score and time on it

is that not the idea of a score board, every thing else is a bonus
Posted by: Poojah, February 2, 2014, 10:50pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from lobsterpot
So it hasnt been established yet...IS IT A PROPER POSH SCREEN THINGY?? Someone told me it is from Blackpool ???

There could be something in that. They used to have one in the corner but have taken it and replaced it with a smaller one when when they filled that corner in with seats:

[url]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wY4mshr0MaM/TOl91iI-XII/AAAAAAAABds/eFZpdoSPeG0/s1600/DSC01231.jpg[/url]

The steel frame at BP looked about the right size to house something like that anyway.
Posted by: oldun, February 3, 2014, 10:47am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Poojah

There could be something in that. They used to have one in the corner but have taken it and replaced it with a smaller one when when they filled that corner in with seats:

[url]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wY4mshr0MaM/TOl91iI-XII/AAAAAAAABds/eFZpdoSPeG0/s1600/DSC01231.jpg[/url]

The steel frame at BP looked about the right size to house something like that anyway.

Well we bought their floodlights once so there is a precedence and it will be used to the sea air. Maybe a tangerine machine will brighten things up. As for displaying the score, I find I actually know the score during the game and as for the time, well my watch does a pretty good job. Score flashes from other games would be good, but then the guy near me keeps us all informed via his iPhone . Come to think of it, why do we need a scoreboard?
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 3, 2014, 10:57am; Reply: 20
Quoted from oldun

Well we bought their floodlights once so there is a precedence and it will be used to the sea air. Maybe a tangerine machine will brighten things up. As for displaying the score, I find I actually know the score during the game and as for the time, well my watch does a pretty good job. Score flashes from other games would be good, but then the guy near me keeps us all informed via his iPhone . Come to think of it, why do we need a scoreboard?

Apart from advertising money, we don't.
Posted by: pizzzza, February 3, 2014, 11:24am; Reply: 21
Quoted from grimsby pete

Apart from advertising money, we don't.

I think the scoreboard is more useful for showing the game time than the actual score. Saves looking at your watch every few minutes.

As you say there is advertising potential there, especially if it is a 'big screen' with moving pictures, etc.
Posted by: RoboCod, February 3, 2014, 12:15pm; Reply: 22
Will it be big enough to show the televised Wembley playoff finals when we're in them ?  :)
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, February 5, 2014, 8:45am; Reply: 23
The new score board will be fitted today ready for Saturdays game.
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, February 5, 2014, 10:34am; Reply: 24
Excellent, looking forward to being bowled over by it! I'm sure I'm not alone, reckon it'll put another four or five on the gate...
Posted by: Hagrid, February 5, 2014, 10:37am; Reply: 25
how are us upper findites gonna see it!?
Posted by: ackomariner, February 5, 2014, 10:44am; Reply: 26
Quoted from Hagrid

Pass  :-/
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, February 5, 2014, 10:47am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Youngy

Lovely stuff! I remember one year they stuck text commentary of the Grand National on it whilst the game was playing, pretty exciting stuff.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, February 5, 2014, 10:58am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Hagrid

Large mirror on the Main Stand roof.  ;D ;D ;D

Posted by: gaz57, February 5, 2014, 11:25am; Reply: 29
Quoted from Hagrid

Their to busy watching captain birdseye go by.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 5, 2014, 12:48pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Hagrid

By turning your head to the right.  ;)
Posted by: moosey_club, February 5, 2014, 12:57pm; Reply: 31
[quote=771]Excellent, looking forward to being bowled over by it! I'm sure I'm not alone, reckon it'll put another four or five on the gate...[/quote]

is that the electricians on standby to fix it ?
Posted by: BPMariner, February 5, 2014, 1:13pm; Reply: 32
It's going up

http://wall.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/Event/Mariners_Wall
Posted by: BIGChris, February 5, 2014, 1:14pm; Reply: 33
I asked the question but after seeing the framework it looks to be perfectly visible from my seat in the central upper Findus
Posted by: RoboCod, February 5, 2014, 1:33pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from BPMariner

Shame they didn't post a pic of the screen with something else to give us some scale. Looks square though,was expecting a wide board for some reason.

Posted by: highcliff mariner, February 5, 2014, 1:35pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from ginnywings

By turning your head to the right.  ;)

:) perhaps we should install a mini screen in the back of Hagrids seat ?
Posted by: Hagrid, February 5, 2014, 1:41pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from highcliff mariner

:) perhaps we should install a mini screen in the back of Hagrids seat ?

you have no idea how much i would love that;)!- but preferably the seat in front of mine!
Posted by: gaz57, February 5, 2014, 2:40pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Hagrid

you have no idea how much i would love that;)!- but preferably the seat in front of mine!

;D
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, February 5, 2014, 2:49pm; Reply: 38
Well that's it, no more free views from the upstairs windows in Neville Street!
Posted by: highcliff mariner, February 5, 2014, 4:44pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Hagrid

DOH :)
Posted by: Mariner21, February 5, 2014, 5:19pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Well that's it, no more free views from the upstairs windows in Neville Street!

;D

Gutted mate!
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, February 5, 2014, 5:57pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from RoboCod

Shame they didn't post a pic of the screen with something else to give us som.e scale. Looks square though,was expecting a wide board for some reason.

The picture is of one panel. The board is roughly 4meters wide by 3 meters high ( 12 panels)
There is an outside chance it will not be ready though for Sat due to the complexity of the install also hindered by the weather
Posted by: RoboCod, February 5, 2014, 6:10pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

The picture is of one panel. The board is roughly 4meters wide by 3 meters high ( 12 panels)
There is an outside chance it will not be ready though for Sat due to the complexity of the install also hindered by the weather

Right, sounding better all the time. I just bet the first time it's used we get a nil-nil though.
Posted by: Meza, February 5, 2014, 6:59pm; Reply: 43
[url]http://images.scribblelive.com/2014/2/5/48753e2c-b3cb-4d3f-9d44-ec732f6306b2_300.jpg[/url]

[Img]http://images.scribblelive.com/2014/2/5/48753e2c-b3cb-4d3f-9d44-ec732f6306b2_300.jpg[/img]
Posted by: Meza, February 5, 2014, 7:02pm; Reply: 44
Thats one piece fitted plenty more but its been postponed due to weather.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 5, 2014, 7:04pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Meza
Thats one piece fitted plenty more but its been postponed due to weather.

Phew - thought that was it until you said  ;)
Posted by: Meza, February 5, 2014, 7:13pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Phew - thought that was it until you said  ;)

That would be funny as lol
Posted by: RoboCod, February 5, 2014, 8:05pm; Reply: 47
It's like a giant game of Tetris.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, February 6, 2014, 10:57am; Reply: 48
Quoted from RoboCod
It's like a giant game of Tetris.

Inter fan tetris competitions at half time ?

Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, February 6, 2014, 11:10am; Reply: 49
It will has the potential to show replays which suggests to me its a proper screen.
Posted by: RoboCod, February 6, 2014, 11:18am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Inter fan tetris competitions at half time ?

We could decide the outcome of postponed games this way, much more exciting than the old pools panel.

Posted by: sutton mariner, February 6, 2014, 11:57am; Reply: 51
Quoted from RoboCod

We could decide the outcome of postponed games this way, much more exciting than the old pools panel.

Hahaha
Posted by: moosey_club, February 6, 2014, 4:33pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Meza
[url]http://images.scribblelive.com/2014/2/5/48753e2c-b3cb-4d3f-9d44-ec732f6306b2_300.jpg[/url]

[Img]http://images.scribblelive.com/2014/2/5/48753e2c-b3cb-4d3f-9d44-ec732f6306b2_300.jpg[/img]

Thats one hell of an aerial for a TV that size !!
Posted by: crusty ole pie, February 6, 2014, 4:54pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from moosey_club

Thats one hell of an aerial for a TV that size !!

Lol
Went past this pm and the second piece was being fitted fear we might have to wait a little longer to know the score
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 6, 2014, 4:57pm; Reply: 54

Lol
Went past this pm and the second piece was being fitted fear we might have to wait a little longer to know the score

Or at least all of it.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 6, 2014, 5:53pm; Reply: 55
It's like a sh1t version of catchphrase!!

Say what you see mr chips
Posted by: moosey_club, February 6, 2014, 10:40pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
It's like a sh1t version of catchphrase!!

Say what you see mr chips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJQdEY82zs0

Classic !
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 7, 2014, 1:02pm; Reply: 57
Still makes me cry after all these years
Posted by: LH, February 7, 2014, 1:21pm; Reply: 58
Wasn't much if any progress on the scoreboard at 0930 this morning.
Posted by: RoboCod, February 7, 2014, 1:56pm; Reply: 59
If it's only half finished and can only show the home teams score should we turn it on anyway? Will the other half be needed tomorrow? ( (icon_mrgreen)
Posted by: GTFCNick, February 7, 2014, 5:08pm; Reply: 60
Technical issues have prevented the installation. We are hoping to have this resolved in time for Cambridge however nothing in life seems to go easily or be straight forward!!

Once up the board will have substantial capability that far exceeds its predecessor however again the software that runs the board has several complex issues that means small bite sized steps need to be taken. By the end of the season we hope to have something rather special in place that supporters can be proud of.

The company that we have purchased the board from are in the process of designing new software, this means that operational control of the new board will be simplified. As with any software design progress is always slow.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 7, 2014, 5:25pm; Reply: 61
To be honest nick, a calculator would far exceed its predecessor
Posted by: Mariner21, February 7, 2014, 5:53pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
To be honest nick, a calculator would far exceed its predecessor

Lol!
Posted by: GTFCNick, February 7, 2014, 6:32pm; Reply: 63
Can anyone work out how to use a scientific one?
Posted by: topuphere666, February 7, 2014, 6:40pm; Reply: 64
Ready by the end of the season. Brilliant news! It'lll get a lot of use then! Haha
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 7, 2014, 9:58pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from GTFCNick
Technical issues have prevented the installation. We are hoping to have this resolved in time for Cambridge however nothing in life seems to go easily or be straight forward!!

Once up the board will have substantial capability that far exceeds its predecessor however again the software that runs the board has several complex issues that means small bite sized steps need to be taken. By the end of the season we hope to have something rather special in place that supporters can be proud of.

The company that we have purchased the board from are in the process of designing new software, this means that operational control of the new board will be simplified. As with any software design progress is always slow.

Well to be fair - if you couldn't / wouldn't change the battery in the clock, or heaven forbid replace it, then we didn't have much confidence in a whole new super duper scoreboard working this side of Christmas.

I sometimes think it would be a complete waste of time and money for a new stadium if the same hit and miss attitude prevails.
Posted by: Sigone, February 7, 2014, 11:49pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from GTFCNick
As with any software design progress is always slow.

Hey what do you mean, as a former programmer i resemble that remark.  It only took me 3 years to write the poll tax system(bloody thatcher and major constantly changing the rules) and just as i got it working perfectly the council binned it and bought a new package. doh! :B
Posted by: Meza, February 8, 2014, 9:07am; Reply: 67
Im currently a software tester and data analyst so I know these things can take time all software contains bugs but sometimes fixing the bugs can have a knock on effect and create more bugs.  Anyway im just happy we have a new scoreboard but not just that bigger and better (well im hoping it is).  Can anyone remember when the old scoreboard was done?
Posted by: GTFCNick, February 8, 2014, 9:27am; Reply: 68
Quoted from topuphere666
Ready by the end of the season. Brilliant news! It'lll get a lot of use then! Haha

Sorry you misunderstand, it will be functioning as a scoreboard however the additional functions like previous match highlights, animations for goals, substitutions and many other functions will take time to build. This is a full colour scoreboard that also offers commercial opportunities for the club.
Posted by: StiggsGTFC, February 8, 2014, 9:40am; Reply: 69
Hmmm, why on earth is new software required? Surely there must be existing packages out there that do what is required, without the need for significant testing. Seems utter madness and expensive to develop new....
Posted by: jamesgtfc, February 8, 2014, 9:42am; Reply: 70
Quoted from GTFCNick

Sorry you misunderstand, it will be functioning as a scoreboard however the additional functions like previous match highlights, animations for goals, substitutions and many other functions will take time to build. This is a full colour scoreboard that also offers commercial opportunities for the club.

Despite the club losing money hand over fist every year I think we are very lucky to have such a modern scoreboard and GTFC should be commended. Hopefully it is ready in time to stream the FA Trophy and Play-Off Final for those who can't make it!

Will that be possible or is there absolutely no chance of the scoreboard providing live coverage of matches?
Posted by: wigworld, February 8, 2014, 9:50am; Reply: 71
How about movies? The club should show a film during a game, to keep us entertained if the match is rubbish!  :P
Posted by: GTFCNick, February 8, 2014, 10:57am; Reply: 72
Quoted from StiggsGTFC
Hmmm, why on earth is new software required? Surely there must be existing packages out there that do what is required, without the need for significant testing. Seems utter madness and expensive to develop new....

New software has no financial implication on the club and is being provided for free!
Posted by: cmackenzie4, February 8, 2014, 11:03am; Reply: 73
Thanks for the updates Nick.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 8, 2014, 12:13pm; Reply: 74
Surely in time the new scoreboard will pay for itself,

Advertising revenue etc,

Or some silly person asking his girlfriend to marry him. 8)
Posted by: Dan, February 8, 2014, 12:23pm; Reply: 75
Will it have the fishing animation? And the cowboy firing his pistols?
Posted by: Meza, February 8, 2014, 12:50pm; Reply: 76
So is the new scoreboard damage proof from footballs?  As im sure one will hit it at some point.
Posted by: rancido, February 9, 2014, 1:31pm; Reply: 77
So there is no truth in the rumour that the fixing holes for the panels had all been drilled in the wrong positions?
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 9, 2014, 2:19pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Meza
So is the new scoreboard damage proof from footballs?  As im sure one will hit it at some point.

I'm going to hope that when a football scoreboard is designed that the engineers tend to put 'footballs' high on their list of things that it should be damage proofed from.
Posted by: Mariner21, February 9, 2014, 2:40pm; Reply: 79
Well they can do tests etc and proof it as much as they like but surely a football going 50 mph+ is going to do some damage?
Posted by: StiggsGTFC, February 9, 2014, 5:17pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from GTFCNick

New software has no financial implication on the club and is being provided for free!

Fair enough and thanks for responding..

Posted by: Garth, February 9, 2014, 6:44pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from wigworld
How about movies? The club should show a film during a game, to keep us entertained if the match is rubbish!  :P

WE can only afford black and white B movies ;D
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 10, 2014, 9:30am; Reply: 82
Quoted from Meza

No it will be OK,

We will just tell John Lewis not to shoot at that end. ;)
Posted by: crusty ole pie, February 10, 2014, 11:00am; Reply: 83
Quoted from grimsby pete

No it will be OK,

Paint a set of goal post round it and it will be safe
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 10, 2014, 11:36am; Reply: 84
Quoted from grimsby pete

No it will be OK,

Thought someone had already  :-/
Posted by: rancido, February 10, 2014, 2:12pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from Meza

At least we don't have Tom Newey in the side takeing free kicks anymore  ;)
Posted by: ackomariner, February 10, 2014, 2:17pm; Reply: 86

Paint a set of goal post round it and it will be safe

Classic  ;D
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 10, 2014, 2:41pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from rancido

At least we don't have Tom Newey in the side takeing free kicks anymore  ;)

With his ridiculous beard!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 10, 2014, 9:25pm; Reply: 88
Last Sat, from the infrastructure (built so far), I thought that the scoreboard looked a bit on the low side and was not easy to see from some seats in the UF.  

The previous scoreboard  was easy to see for home fans.  Although the "time played" shown and even the opposing team were not always accurate. Maybe this was just old age and "character" developing?   :)
Posted by: gtfc98, February 11, 2014, 7:18am; Reply: 89
Never see so much fuss over something so irrelevant. Just watch the game, as long as you can see how long's gone who cares?
Posted by: Garth, February 11, 2014, 8:50am; Reply: 90
Quoted from gtfc98
Never see so much fuss over something so irrelevant. Just watch the game, as long as you can see how long's gone who cares?

Some of us used to go just to watch the scoreboard, it was better entertainment
Posted by: sonik, February 11, 2014, 11:25am; Reply: 91
Quoted from gtfc98

I agree.  UTM!   ;D ;D
Posted by: crusty ole pie, February 11, 2014, 1:17pm; Reply: 92
Is that the party line sonic must be costing brother a couple of bob thought all the exposure it was getting would be good for the advertising income you don't know might even put an extra 10 on the gate to see it working
Posted by: crusty ole pie, February 17, 2014, 10:51am; Reply: 93
Just been to purchase Cambridge tickets and the first piece was just being lifted into place at this rate we might have it working for next season lol
Posted by: RoboCod, February 17, 2014, 11:31am; Reply: 94
Just been to purchase Cambridge tickets and the first piece was just being lifted into place at this rate we might have it working for next season lol

Let's hope we're planning on actually putting it to use  ::)
Print page generated: May 5, 2024, 6:18pm