Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Laddy89, May 26, 2015, 12:50am
Just read on his Twitter congradulating Dizza on signing that new deal.

Someone has commented asking him if hes signing up aswell...

Magnay replied ...

"Trying to find a way, if only it was that easy"

Makes me wonder what sort of contracts we have offered out to the players.
Posted by: Kymariner12, May 26, 2015, 1:48am; Reply: 1
I think we all know the contracts offered won't be an extension on last season and key players like Magnay may think they deserve better and know they could move onto even the league above. They won't reject the contracts due to opinion of the club, money talks.
Posted by: chaos33, May 26, 2015, 6:49am; Reply: 2
Quoted from Laddy89
Just read on his Twitter congradulating Dizza on signing that new deal.

Someone has commented asking him if hes signing up aswell...

Magnay replied ...

"Trying to find a way, if only it was that easy"

Makes me wonder what sort of contracts we have offered out to the players.

Oh dear. I do hope this isn't about the terms offered.
Posted by: topuphere666, May 26, 2015, 7:34am; Reply: 3
That tweet has since been deleted.

I really hope he will sign on and give it another year with us!
Posted by: LH, May 26, 2015, 7:34am; Reply: 4
He probably means that when he came to sign his contract him and Fenty couldn't find a pen or something. I hate it when that happens.
Posted by: blasty, May 26, 2015, 7:48am; Reply: 5
The tweet is still there.....
Posted by: davmariner, May 26, 2015, 8:20am; Reply: 6
Yes, certainly reads as if he's not satisfied with what he's been offered.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, May 26, 2015, 8:29am; Reply: 7
I really hope this isn't another Coulson scenario... Surely he's worth another £50-£100 per week to keep. Easy to say I know when it's not your money you're spwnding. Is this where our donations would help?
Posted by: HotToddy, May 26, 2015, 8:37am; Reply: 8
Despite Town making around 250k from Wembley Fenty has made all the players take a pay cut. How short sighted is that. We'll be lucky if 2 or 3 who have been offered new deals sign for Town. If Fenty thinks im renewing my season ticket.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, May 26, 2015, 8:42am; Reply: 9
Quoted from HotToddy
Despite Town making around 250k from Wembley Fenty has made all the players take a pay cut. How short sighted is that. We'll be lucky if 2 or 3 who have been offered new deals sign for Town. If Fenty thinks im renewing my season ticket.

Talk about jumping to conclusions.  There is no evidence that Magnay has been asked to take a pay cut and certainly not 'all the players'.
Posted by: davmariner, May 26, 2015, 8:45am; Reply: 10
If that's true, then can completely understand if any of them would want to move on. Having got us to Wembley and having gone that one step further from previous seasons, we should be building on what we have.

We need to start will a complete team next season and not be scrabbling around in January for those extra players.
Posted by: Daz460, May 26, 2015, 8:47am; Reply: 11
A good player and will be great if he signs, but we've managed before.
Let's just wait and see before throwing our scarfs at a burning effigy of Fenty.
Posted by: Daz460, May 26, 2015, 8:49am; Reply: 12
Quoted from davmariner
If that's true, then can completely understand if any of them would want to move on. Having got us to Wembley and having gone that one step further from previous seasons, we should be building on what we have.

We need to start will a complete team next season and not be scrabbling around in January for those extra players.

One person claims it and it's suddenly a fact? Calm down
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, May 26, 2015, 8:50am; Reply: 13
Quoted from HotToddy

No disrespect meant but you've not made many posts on here so I'll need to see some evidence of this elsewhere before I believe it, you could be Brodie in disguise :-)
Posted by: DocTower, May 26, 2015, 8:52am; Reply: 14
Still relatively early , most will still be on holiday and contracts not up till the end of the month.   In Hurst we trust .
Posted by: LondonMariner43, May 26, 2015, 8:54am; Reply: 15
There could be any number of reasons why a player doesn't accept a contract.  A player might accept a one year contact and his missus says, no way am I living in Grimsby.  He says, don't worry, its just a one year contract and I'll only stay if we get promoted cos i'll get a good pay increase.  One year later...  I can think of all sorts of variations on this which are related to a players' own situation and not connected to the club.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, May 26, 2015, 8:57am; Reply: 16
We didn't win promotion so we are not exactly going to be giving pay rises are we ?

We are conference club paying conference wages , if a player wants to move to a league club and higher pay then it's a no brained but the grass ain't always greener.

If they want to stay at a club were they are wanted and play regularly at a big club then they will stay and will have wanted to stay if not then so be it.

I can't see any of our players leaving for another conf club if any leave it will be league clubs and football league money.

Nothing we can do its down to the player but we have to be realistic we can't be giving pay rises when we never achieved the objective we set out to do.
Posted by: Garth, May 26, 2015, 8:59am; Reply: 17
Quoted from DocTower
Still relatively early , most will still be on holiday and contracts not up till the end of the month.   In Hurst we trust .

Exactly, at least seventy percent will sign fairly early but the others will take their time, if they don't we will sail again under our skipper and some new hands
Posted by: Rick12, May 26, 2015, 9:02am; Reply: 18
Quoted from jonnyboy82
We didn't win promotion so we are not exactly going to be giving pay rises are we ?

We are conference club paying conference wages , if a player wants to move to a league club and higher pay then it's a no brained but the grass ain't always greener.

If they want to stay at a club were they are wanted and play regularly at a big club then they will stay and will have wanted to stay if not then so be it.

I can't see any of our players leaving for another conf club if any leave it will be league clubs and football league money.

Nothing we can do its down to the player but we have to be realistic we can't be giving pay rises when we never achieved the objective we set out to do.
I would say though we are paying near the top end of conference wages though. Appreciate the players will be under more pressure than other clubs in this league but that's what make it challenging and ultimately potentially more rewarding eg fighting for league status at the end of it all

Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, May 26, 2015, 9:04am; Reply: 19
If the worst comes to he worst and Carl doesn't sign is like to see us go for ex Kiddy right back Lee Vaughan. Transfer listed at Cheltenham so would mean a fee but can't imagine it would be that much.
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, May 26, 2015, 9:10am; Reply: 20
250k if true would be a great amount but we have probably lost money all season so that will just go against that. Fenty like us all is not a bottomless pit.
Posted by: gary_elton, May 26, 2015, 9:12am; Reply: 21
For goodness sake... there are quite a few wild assumptions going on here.... as has been said...

let's hold up on silly comments and who we want to replace so and so if he leaves.... all good things
come to he who waits.....  I'm with Doctower....
Posted by: chaos33, May 26, 2015, 9:15am; Reply: 22
Much of the content of this thread underlines the points on the 'two signings in a week' thread. Some folk have leapt ahead with assumptions and oversimplifications.
Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, May 26, 2015, 9:29am; Reply: 23
Quoted from HotToddy

Town made less that 100k on the Wembley trip, I got that from someone who works at the club, If this is true it does not start to plug the gap in our losses, Also what's to say we did not offer him the same amount as last season but Magnay believes as he is player of the season and the fans favourite  he deserves more,
Posted by: 97 (Guest), May 26, 2015, 9:35am; Reply: 24
Laffo. In one thread it's been decided that on the basis of an understandably non-committal tweet Magnay isn't signing, Fenty has made £250,000 from the play off final (I'd be surprised if we made anywhere near half that), Fenty has made them all take a pay cut and not only that, we no longer need Magnay and indeed someone has suggested his replacement.

Calm down people.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 26, 2015, 9:43am; Reply: 25
Be gutted to see him go as he is a top player and also a good lad who is close to the fans and the fabric of the club............ If he goes good luck to him and we wish him well.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, May 26, 2015, 9:48am; Reply: 26
Didn't take long for the feel good factor to wear off with some did it?
Posted by: LH, May 26, 2015, 9:49am; Reply: 27
Can't believe he's gone.  :'(
Posted by: Maringer, May 26, 2015, 10:07am; Reply: 28
We can't afford to lose our best player from last season. I certainly hope Pearson signs a new contract!  ;)
Posted by: RoboCod, May 26, 2015, 10:08am; Reply: 29
Quoted from LH
Can't believe he's gone.  :'(

And to Lincoln of all places..... :o :o
Posted by: Garth, May 26, 2015, 10:17am; Reply: 30
Quoted from RoboCod

And to Lincoln of all places..... :o :o

His first choice was Scunny but they could not afford him
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 26, 2015, 10:23am; Reply: 31
I think he's maybe torn between signing for us and signing for someone else. I'm not worried. I suspect he will sign and if it is wages, just give him an extra £250 a week Hurst. Please!
Posted by: GiveUsAG, May 26, 2015, 10:46am; Reply: 32
There's some crap posted on this forum at times.  ;D

But I love the banter and sarcasm.

I see a couple of 'anti Fenty' 'nimbys' are stirring things up with negative bull excrement.  :o

I personally think Magnay and most of them, if not all them, will stay and sign a new contract. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a few that have signed already and that the club are trying to pull off a PR stunt, with only announcing one or two at a time, as some have mentioned.

If this is so, I think it's a bad move in the short run, as the 'anti Fenty' brigade have already started with the negativity and excrement stirring. Hopefully these fools will have their speculations (bull excrement) proven to be nothing more than just, crap.  :P
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 26, 2015, 10:51am; Reply: 33
Well never mind Coulson (who is still doing a good job for York), what about a bigger fish that got away  when we did not offer a few pennie more:   Danny Butterfield.
Posted by: acko338, May 26, 2015, 10:52am; Reply: 34
Lincoln ex Mariners - not got much of a ring to it, but could be where some may end up if they go - hopefully only the 2nd string who don't come back to haunt us in the future !

I really want the back four / five including Gowling to commit so that we are solid at the back from game one of next season.

A really low goals against could restore Fortress Blundell Park, which has gone awol for several seasons !
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 26, 2015, 11:08am; Reply: 35
Would be a good signal from the club to re-sign one of the most popular and consistent players in our recent history. On the contrary, it would send out a big effing negative if he decides to move on for financial reasons. Let's get it sorted!
Posted by: jungleland, May 26, 2015, 11:39am; Reply: 36
Quoted from HotToddy

This post for  me sums up the problem with forums in general anyone can post anything with true conviction stating absolute facts when it's all total bollox !!
Posted by: ackomariner, May 26, 2015, 12:07pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Would be a good signal from the club to re-sign one of the most popular and consistent players in our recent history. On the contrary, it would send out a big effing negative if he decides to move on for financial reasons. Let's get it sorted!

Exactly this, good post IMO
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, May 26, 2015, 12:24pm; Reply: 38
Am I the only one that thinks magnays already signed to stay with us ?? And that its going to be announced tomorrow.
Posted by: Mikey_345, May 26, 2015, 12:35pm; Reply: 39
I think some people are getting a little carried away here.

If you read the whole exchange. Someone had asked if he had signed a new deal whilst drunk. To which he said "I wouldn't need to be drunk"

Quite clearly the guy wants to sign. Until we hear any official news nothing that has been said here has much relevance. It's no good trying to second guess a blokes tweet.....We will just have to wait and see.
Posted by: barralad, May 26, 2015, 2:01pm; Reply: 40
Not for the first time I'm glad "Twatter" is a mystery to me.  I think we should go back to the days where an expectant crowd gathered outside of the Blundell Park gates eagerly awaiting a typed bulletin to be placed there listing who had signed. It had to be done quickly before the players went off to their various summer jobs (Dave Boylen-ice cream man). Once read we went off to toast our favourites in Hewitt's Dark Mild at the nearest local hostelry.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 26, 2015, 2:47pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from barralad
Not for the first time I'm glad "Twatter" is a mystery to me.  I think we should go back to the days where an expectant crowd gathered outside of the Blundell Park gates eagerly awaiting a typed bulletin to be placed there listing who had signed. It had to be done quickly before the players went off to their various summer jobs (Dave Boylen-ice cream man). Once read we went off to toast our favourites in Hewitt's Dark Mild at the nearest local hostelry.

Me too - it would mean we were still in the Football League and we could afford to get players in on a longer term basis rather than this revolving door situation.
Posted by: barralad, May 26, 2015, 3:11pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Me too - it would mean we were still in the Football League and we could afford to get players in on a longer term basis rather than this revolving door situation.

I readily take your point but wonder if back then (meaning late 60s early 70s) it was actually much different. The fact the players (well some of 'em at least) had to have summer jobs suggests all year long contracts were a thing for much higher up the leagues! :o
Posted by: RichMariner, May 26, 2015, 4:46pm; Reply: 43
Just think, in the good old days we didn't know about anything that happened at the club on non match days.

We turned up at 3pm on Saturdays, went home at 5 and read about the match in the paper the next day. That was about your lot.

We were blissfully ignorant, and a part of me would like to return to those days. Football has become all consuming in this modern age. First the internet and then social media has changed all that. It's exhausting.

I'd quite like to switch off and return in a few weeks to see what's happened. But I can't, because I can't help myself!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 26, 2015, 7:01pm; Reply: 44
I remember when I would watch the scores on teletext/ceefax. Page 312 (news in brief) was the lifeline to the footballing world
Posted by: grimps, May 26, 2015, 7:05pm; Reply: 45
I've always been in the pro Fenty camp but if he lets this squad fall apart for the sake of a few bob then he's just making a rod for his own back
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 26, 2015, 7:22pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from grimps
I've always been in the pro Fenty camp but if he lets this squad fall apart for the sake of a few bob then he's just making a rod for his own back

Whether you're pro-Fenty, anti-Fenty or in the middle, I think we'd all agree that the dismantling of the squad that a) came so close and b) would have 'won the league had we had it all season' (PH May 2015), would be pretty reckless all things considered.
Posted by: rancido, May 26, 2015, 7:43pm; Reply: 47
For a start I don't think JF or PH would personally expect a player to take a pay cut on the back of what happened last season. The way it works , as I understand it , is that JF tells PH what his total playing budget is for the season and he works with that amount. PH might decide on a squad size and then allocate what he thinks is a fair wage for each player. He might decide on 20 players and split the pot accordingly or he could decide on a 24 man squad with a general reduction in what each player gets. We are not privy to any of this and all attempts to try are just pure speculation.
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 26, 2015, 8:07pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from barralad

How ironic that you have posted this via tinterweb 😉

But Twatter is and Facefuck are indeed the work of the Devil herself.
Posted by: Meza, May 26, 2015, 8:28pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from rancido
For a start I don't think JF or PH would personally expect a player to take a pay cut on the back of what happened last season. The way it works , as I understand it , is that JF tells PH what his total playing budget is for the season and he works with that amount. PH might decide on a squad size and then allocate what he thinks is a fair wage for each player. He might decide on 20 players and split the pot accordingly or he could decide on a 24 man squad with a general reduction in what each player gets. We are not privy to any of this and all attempts to try are just pure speculation.

If that is the case then i would certainly be giving those that deserve it a little extra and then work with what is left. Having said that 2 absolute quality players are needed in Key areas, Midfield and Striker.  Wait i'm getting carried away we need them to re-sign first lol.  

Posted by: Cod Cheeks, May 26, 2015, 9:13pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from HotToddy

I heard from someone within the club that this the case

Terrible if it's true
Posted by: chaos33, May 26, 2015, 9:16pm; Reply: 51
I should think Big Chris could tell us if that's true or not.

Unfortunately, now Steve Croudson and Paddy have gone, I've got no inside track any more.  :-/
Posted by: BIGChris, May 26, 2015, 9:16pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Cod Cheeks

I heard from someone within the club that this the case

Terrible if it's true

These blatant lies do not do anybody any credit least of all those that pedal them.

Name names. You won't of course but I would love for you to surprise me
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, May 26, 2015, 9:21pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from BIGChris

These blatant lies do not do anybody any credit least of all those that pedal them.

Name names. You won't of course but I would love for you to surprise me

Oh Chris
of course we can't and neither can you yours
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, May 26, 2015, 9:23pm; Reply: 54
Can we stop with the damaging speculation on things like pay levels please?  

No evidence has been presented, only hearsay and a lie is half-way round the world before the truth has its boots on.

Unless of course, people are angling for Getyourfactsright to come on here and start rebutting the claims himself?
Posted by: BIGChris, May 26, 2015, 9:39pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Cod Cheeks

Oh Chris
of course we can't and neither can you yours

I haven't claimed I am getting insider information from within the club. You have
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 26, 2015, 9:40pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
Can we stop with the damaging speculation on things like pay levels please?  

No evidence has been presented, only hearsay and a lie is half-way round the world before the truth has its boots on.

Unless of course, people are angling for Getyourfactsright to come on here and start rebutting the claims himself?

PH indicated post Wembley that he would have to work within a budget. As I posted earlier, now would not be the time to dismantle a squad that came so close so I do think we should have some indication as to whether the budget is going to allow PH to improve the squad in the necessary areas without losing other key players. If cost reduction is the aim then JF can forget promotion and a new stadium - it just won't happen - let's not forget that the Mullens part funded the existing squad and that we have started slowly the last two years because of major squad reconstruction.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 26, 2015, 9:45pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner
Am I the only one that thinks magnays already signed to stay with us ?? And that its going to be announced tomorrow.

Exactly, the period we are going through at the moment is the football equivalent of foreplay. If we build it they will come.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 26, 2015, 9:47pm; Reply: 58
Personally think that if we want to finally get out of this league then we have to keep this squad together. The team spirit is great and if we can put together a cup run too I'm sure it will be money well spent.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 26, 2015, 9:51pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from MuddyWaters

PH indicated post Wembley that he would have to work within a budget. Surely every manager has to do that? As I posted earlier, now would not be the time to dismantle a squad that came so close so I do think we should have some indication as to whether the budget is going to allow PH to improve the squad in the necessary areas without losing other key players. One of the directors confirmed that the budget would definetly not be cut If cost reduction is the aim then JF can forget promotion and a new stadium - it just won't happen - let's not forget that the Mullens part funded the existing squad and that we have started slowly the last two years because of major squad reconstruction.

I have no idea whether we are operating on a similar budget to last season, but I assume we are.
There has certainly been no indication of a reduced budget so I would expect there to be enough to at least match current deals and the savings made on the released players will be freed up to bring in replacements.
Many have suggested that Hannah would have been towards the top of the earners list.
I think the Mullens money was largely used to bring in/ retain the loanees.
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, May 26, 2015, 9:59pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from BIGChris

I haven't claimed I am getting insider information from within the club. You have

OK I'll tell you
We walked down to the cider festival on Sunday and after few pints of apple juice bumped into my mate Big K who told me key players had been offered reduced terms, in fact he went as far as naming Pearson as being offered £100 less a week to stay
Big K sits in the main stand
BTW
How do you know it's blatant lies?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 26, 2015, 10:00pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from BIGChris

I have no idea whether we are operating on a similar budget to last season, but I assume we are.
There has certainly been no indication of a reduced budget so I would expect there to be enough to at least match current deals and the savings made on the released players will be freed up to bring in replacements.
Many have suggested that Hannah would have been towards the top of the earners list.
I think the Mullens money was largely used to bring in/ retain the loanees.

Am I wrong in thinking that some squad members actually deserve a pay rise?
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 26, 2015, 10:10pm; Reply: 62
If we've offered players reduced terms we'll be lucky if any of others sign.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 26, 2015, 10:14pm; Reply: 63
Do footballers actually get paid per week?

(I doubt it)
Posted by: FFS, May 26, 2015, 10:16pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from Cod Cheeks

OK I'll tell you
We walked down to the cider festival on Sunday and after few pints of apple juice bumped into my mate Big K who told me key players had been offered reduced terms, in fact he went as far as naming Pearson as being offered £100 less a week to stay
BTW

FFS

Posted by: BIGChris, May 26, 2015, 10:20pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Am I wrong in thinking that some squad members actually deserve a pay rise?

Possibly but without knowing who is on what it's hard to judge. Magnay was a free agent and maybe ( this is a wild guess) we got him a bit cheaper than if he had been offered a deal by Gateshead?
Posted by: BIGChris, May 26, 2015, 10:23pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from SamTheMariner
If we've offered players reduced terms we'll be lucky if any of others sign.

Depends if there are others willing to pay more? I'd imagine we won't be far off the top payers in this league, I would guess FGR, Tranmere and Eastleigh have the ability to pay more with a couple of others on par??

If our players are offered deals in the Football League then it may not be about money but playing at a higher level?
Posted by: BIGChris, May 26, 2015, 10:25pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Abdul19
Do footballers actually get paid per week?

(I doubt it)

Previously Town players were paid fortnightly. I think that went back to mostly playing at home every fortnight and players largely getting paid out of gate receipts. This may have changed but was still the case 15 years or so ago
Posted by: GrimRob, May 26, 2015, 10:29pm; Reply: 68
Big K sits in the Main Stand so he must know what he's talking about
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 26, 2015, 10:29pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from BIGChris

Possibly but without knowing who is on what it's hard to judge. Magnay was a free agent and maybe ( this is a wild guess) we got him a bit cheaper than if he had been offered a deal by Gateshead?

Bottom line is this - penny pinching will not deliver promotion. This is not being negative, if Fenty wants a legacy ( ie a new stadium) it will be worthless unless we are back in the Football league.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 26, 2015, 10:31pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Bottom line is this - penny pinching will not deliver promotion. This is not being negative, if Fenty wants a legacy ( ie a new stadium) it will be worthless unless we are back in the Football league.

alleged penny pinching.

The stadium would still be worth having in the National League. Even if we get back in the FL we could get relegated again, anyone in League 2 is only one bad season away from the worst drop in football.
Posted by: jock dock tower, May 26, 2015, 10:33pm; Reply: 71
I smell sh1te! :)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 26, 2015, 10:37pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from GrimRob

alleged penny pinching.

The stadium would still be worth having in the National League. Even if we get back in the FL we could get relegated again, anyone in League 2 is only one bad season away from the worst drop in football.

Didn't allege anything. Merely stating that if we don't reward the good then expect them to go elsewhere whilst we rebuild and start again. Regarding relegation, don't you think we've suffered enough in the last 10 years - see our under achievement rating in the Sky league thread.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 26, 2015, 10:41pm; Reply: 73
RH reporting another player has signed and all will be revealed in the morning
Posted by: ackomariner, May 26, 2015, 10:45pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Cod Cheeks

OK I'll tell you
BTW

We're copulated with info like this
Posted by: ackomariner, May 26, 2015, 10:46pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from BIGChris

LJL is my guess, but lads at work today said something about Wimbledon and LJL
Posted by: KK_DOG, May 26, 2015, 10:47pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from BIGChris

You beat me to it Chris, however unless it's Magnay I reckon you have put it on the wrong thread.

Posted by: chaos33, May 26, 2015, 11:02pm; Reply: 77
JPP my guess.
Posted by: pizzzza, May 26, 2015, 11:03pm; Reply: 78
Big K? More like Special K.
Posted by: LH, May 26, 2015, 11:48pm; Reply: 79
That LJL to Wimbledon rumour was off twitter. The tweet suggested a fee would be involved. Go in the kitchen and find the salt....
Posted by: supertown, May 26, 2015, 11:54pm; Reply: 80
Rumours are exactly that . And big k is full of excrement
Posted by: Meza, May 27, 2015, 1:34am; Reply: 81
Why would a fee be involved he out of contract and older than 24.

Maybe the mods should start deleting some of these stupid posts.

Id much rather get the facts/truth when its released.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, May 27, 2015, 7:00am; Reply: 82
I'd imagine if the overall budget were to be reduced, PH would have a smaller squad on similar individual wages, thus keeping the team spirit. The other option is the same number of players, all on less wages, all drunk off. PH isn't stupid.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 27, 2015, 7:53am; Reply: 83
This thread is hilarious.

I was at the cider festival on Sunday and heard nowt. Perhaps it was because i was drinking beer and missed the board meeting at the cider bar.  ;D
Posted by: gary_elton, May 27, 2015, 8:09am; Reply: 84
Was the cider bar brought in from Millfields and had Robby behind the bar ???
Posted by: oldun, May 27, 2015, 8:11am; Reply: 85
No facts in any of this as far as ?I can see. In the past PH has said there is a pay structure for the squad and he sticks to that. None of us know what that is all talk is rumour and speculation.
Posted by: Garth, May 27, 2015, 8:32am; Reply: 86
All preseason balderdash, with a grain of truth here and there
Posted by: excusebeef, May 27, 2015, 8:43am; Reply: 87
I take absolutely no notice the the rubbish rumours on these threads at times. I recall a few seasons back we were signing Robbie Fowler, Chelsea interested in Liam Hearn etc. Would rather let the manager do his thing and then be pleasantly surprised when he comes up with a signing (like Magnay last season) that we knew nothing about and vote them as POTY
Posted by: LH, May 27, 2015, 8:56am; Reply: 88
In fairness the Liam Hearn to Chelsea rumour was in a respected, highly regarded newspaper - The Daily Sport.  ;)
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 27, 2015, 9:21am; Reply: 89
Would have been good if we had signed Robbie Fowler and Liam Hearn had signed for Chelsea for £2 million.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 27, 2015, 9:26am; Reply: 90
Quoted from Meza
Why would a fee be involved he out of contract and older than 24.

Maybe the mods should start deleting some of these stupid posts.

Id much rather get the facts/truth when its released.

So why are you reading the Fishy?

Posted by: psgmariner, May 27, 2015, 9:41am; Reply: 91
What's all this about Robbie Fowler? Is he signing?
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 27, 2015, 9:43am; Reply: 92
Quoted from psgmariner
What's all this about Robbie Fowler? Is he signing?

He was going to sign for us 10 years ago according to this forum.
Posted by: LH, May 27, 2015, 9:47am; Reply: 93
No way! Surely that would have been better known?!
Posted by: psgmariner, May 27, 2015, 9:52am; Reply: 94
I can't see us getting Fowler but it would be a fantastic signing if it comes off.

Come on Fenty push the boat out.
Posted by: Meza, May 27, 2015, 10:13am; Reply: 95
Quoted from arryarryarry

So why are you reading the Fishy?

Eh??

Why not am I allowed aren't I  :P
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 27, 2015, 10:14am; Reply: 96
Quoted from Meza

Eh??

Why not am I allowed aren't I  :P

Oh dear.

Posted by: Meza, May 27, 2015, 10:18am; Reply: 97
Quoted from arryarryarry

Oh dear.

Grow up FFS
Posted by: RoboCod, May 27, 2015, 10:21am; Reply: 98
We just need Newell to have a friendly chat with his mate Robbie and he'd be ours. Hopefully Newell left on friendly terms with our Major Shareholder and this could happen !!1!!
Posted by: RichMariner, May 27, 2015, 12:34pm; Reply: 99
Had to laugh at the rumour of Pearson being offered £100 a week less.

So let's take one of our best players of the season - and of the past four seasons - and, knowing he'll probably be interesting other (possibly league) clubs, offer him a WORSE deal than he was on.

Because penny pinching.

I have no idea who Pearson would be talking to about the intricacies of his new contract offer.

I think it's worth stating now that I know nothing about the current contract offers. I have no inside knowledge. But I do have a bit of common sense. And I don't go around seeking attention on forums like this.

So I highly doubt that Pearson is being offered significantly less than what he was on. At worst I'd imagine he was offered a very similar deal - and that he's possibly been offered more by another club, but that could mean moving home and starting afresh at a club where he has no stature and no relationship with the fans.

Lots to consider, which would explain why not all of our out-of-contract players are rushing to sign on the dotted line.

People will always make up rumours in the absence of news. That's the way it's always been. Voids get filled with something, because it's better than nothing.

I actually prefer nothing.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, May 27, 2015, 12:47pm; Reply: 100
Just seen Robbie Fowler enter the rear entrance of Nicoles with a can of fosters in his hand.

Posted by: livosnose, May 27, 2015, 12:48pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from RichMariner
Had to laugh at the rumour of Pearson being offered £100 a week less.

So let's take one of our best players of the season - and of the past four seasons - and, knowing he'll probably be interesting other (possibly league) clubs, offer him a WORSE deal than he was on.

Because penny pinching.

I have no idea who Pearson would be talking to about the intricacies of his new contract offer.

I think it's worth stating now that I know nothing about the current contract offers. I have no inside knowledge. But I do have a bit of common sense. And I don't go around seeking attention on forums like this.

So I highly doubt that Pearson is being offered significantly less than what he was on. At worst I'd imagine he was offered a very similar deal - and that he's possibly been offered more by another club, but that could mean moving home and starting afresh at a club where he has no stature and no relationship with the fans.

Lots to consider, which would explain why not all of our out-of-contract players are rushing to sign on the dotted line.

People will always make up rumours in the absence of news. That's the way it's always been. Voids get filled with something, because it's better than nothing.

I actually prefer nothing.

"all is nothing therefore nothing must end " Christy Brown My left foot !  ;)
Posted by: Sigone, May 27, 2015, 12:54pm; Reply: 102
Pearson will re-sign. Trust me ;)
Posted by: gtfc98, May 27, 2015, 12:59pm; Reply: 103
Magnay's going to look a bit daft if he doesn't stay after saying we're the "best club outside the championship". Confident he will sign on again.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, May 27, 2015, 1:14pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from Sigone

Would be the best news of the summer for me .

UTM
Posted by: psgmariner, May 27, 2015, 2:02pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from gtfc98
Magnay's going to look a bit daft if he doesn't stay after saying we're the "best club outside the championship". Confident he will sign on again.

When did he say that?! Ridiculous claim considered we finished 3rd in the Conference.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, May 27, 2015, 2:19pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from psgmariner

Ridiculous claim considered we finished 3rd in the Conference.

Boooooo!

*points at PSG and make noise like Donald Sutherland at the end of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers*

#believe #forgetFacts
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 27, 2015, 3:02pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

Boooooo!

*points at PSG and make noise like Donald Sutherland at the end of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers*

#believe #forgetFacts

Now that did make me laugh :)

Thinking about it maybe we could grow another Magnay from some of those alien pods and then we'd be sure to have one here for next season one way or another
Posted by: gtfc98, May 27, 2015, 3:15pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from psgmariner

When did he say that?! Ridiculous claim considered we finished 3rd in the Conference.

Said it in a radio interview a couple of months ago. Bizarre claim to make given that there's Sheff United, Portsmouth etc all in those leagues!
Posted by: psgmariner, May 27, 2015, 3:18pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from gtfc98

Said it in a radio interview a couple of months ago. Bizarre claim to make given that there's Sheff United, Portsmouth etc all in those leagues!

Gone off him now. Get rid.
Posted by: Daz460, May 27, 2015, 3:24pm; Reply: 110
Wow now 109 comments about what has or hasn't been said!
Could we just wait and see what happens
Patience is a virtue
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 27, 2015, 3:52pm; Reply: 111
Yes maybe it is but Magnay, must sign, I repeat must!!!
Posted by: Stew0_0, May 27, 2015, 5:02pm; Reply: 112
No players would have been asked to take a pay decrease. If anything then the squad will be smaller to allow for Hurst to bring the players back that he wants to keep with maybe 5 or 6 more to add to that. Hence the reason 9 have gone
Posted by: livosnose, May 27, 2015, 5:02pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Now that did make me laugh :)

Thinking about it maybe we could grow another Magnay from some of those alien pods and then we'd be sure to have one here for next season one way or another

ooh thats a really good scene that .............
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, May 27, 2015, 7:39pm; Reply: 114
interviewed on radio humbs tonight
https://audioboom.com/boos/3222761-grimsby-town-s-player-of-the-year-carl-magnay-talks-about-his-future#t=12m1s
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 27, 2015, 7:43pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

Ok so what did he say?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 27, 2015, 7:51pm; Reply: 116
Says he was one of the lowest paid last year and he's had a rise in the contract but it's not too great. Considering his options at the moment and is giving us as much time to try and add extras to his contract that will help him such as his transport and location issue.

He's had Football League offers. He will make the decision in the next week or so.
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, May 27, 2015, 7:59pm; Reply: 117
Travel costs an issue for him, start the ball rolling, I'll put a tenner in the pot.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 27, 2015, 7:59pm; Reply: 118
The last minute or so indicates to me that he is off and we will be surprised that the club he is going to as we will consider them smaller. Seems his travel costs and location is key. He car shared with Hannah, Paddy & Parslow last season and with all them gone he can't afford the travel costs to training everyday!

He is a skilled operator on and off the pitch ( maybe trained in such at Chelsea?). Says lots about the fans and size of club. Has been offered a decent pay rise but wanted/expected more.

IMO going public is the end of negotiation.

Thanks Carl, a cracking and consistent performer BUT like every player, replaceable (somehow)
Posted by: KK_DOG, May 27, 2015, 8:00pm; Reply: 119
Sounded to me that as much as he wants to stop, the money is not good enough and he will go elsewhere for the cash even though the club is not so big. After hearing that I think he won't be stopping. Shame
Posted by: austinmitchell, May 27, 2015, 8:00pm; Reply: 120
Very honest interview about the current state of play. He's '50/50' on whether he'll remain a Town player, with issues like car sharing (he used to share with Hannah, McLaughlin and Parslow) being a problem that has to be addressed.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 27, 2015, 8:01pm; Reply: 121
Sign Parslow and that would solve the problem ...........
Posted by: H19P1, May 27, 2015, 8:01pm; Reply: 122
We best start investing in our club to help nail down this squad. Fingers crossed the mariners trust will roll something out super quick so we can all put the money in we've committed in previous posts.

UTM
Posted by: LondonMariner43, May 27, 2015, 8:01pm; Reply: 123
Anyone work for a company that could provide a sponsored car??
Posted by: LH, May 27, 2015, 8:03pm; Reply: 124
Can't see the board being too happy that he's used the media to create a bit of fan disappointment to lever a few extra quid for petrol. That said though it's what 80ish miles to Leeds? Roughly 5 litres on fuel at £1.09/litre ish. It's not a lot is it really per journey?
Posted by: Alfie, May 27, 2015, 8:05pm; Reply: 125
Sounds like he doesn't want to leave but that was a wake-up call for the club need to pull their finger out to keep him.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, May 27, 2015, 8:09pm; Reply: 126
Isn't this exactly what we could be using the £100 pledges for.... It is absolutely vital in my opinion that we keep the likes of Carl. I understand the trust wanting to collate this money together but we've been talking about this for over a week and had pledged totalling over £3000.... That would be a start in covering travel costs for a season surely!

We simply cannot lose key players for the sake of a few hundred pounds. I don't buy into the thinking that they are replaceable.... Positionaly of course they are.... But what they give in passion, commitment, drive and hunger cannot be in my opinion. This is the best, closest knit squad we have had in years and we're going to dismantle that over a couple of adds bonuses!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, May 27, 2015, 8:09pm; Reply: 127
Based on the fact he lives near Leeds, maybe York in for him? Or Hartlepool if he moves closer to home?
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, May 27, 2015, 8:09pm; Reply: 128
I think unfortunately that will be the end of Magnay in a town shirt. Gutted as I think more than any other player he connected players and fans. Wish him all the best.
PS I hope that I am wrong
Posted by: ginnywings, May 27, 2015, 8:12pm; Reply: 129
False economy for me. Another £100 is about 6 fans through the turnstiles and losing our best players could stop the fickle fans from attending.
Posted by: Fishfinger, May 27, 2015, 8:12pm; Reply: 130
I can see him signing for York, based on what he has said. Do hope I am wrong as he is such a key player.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 27, 2015, 8:12pm; Reply: 131
Sounds like maybe smaller clubs have offered him more money with their financial clout of being in league 2, York, Mansfield?

Commuting from Leeds, I guess he doesn't want to move.  I wonder how long a deal we have offered.
Based on the fact he lives near Leeds, maybe York in for him? Or Hartlepool if he moves closer to home?
Yeah Hartlepool could be another option, being close to where he's actually from.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 27, 2015, 8:15pm; Reply: 132
Playing devils advocate but what if others all want the same?

Give it to one but not others? Would we then have the team spirit/unit we witnessed last season?
Posted by: H19P1, May 27, 2015, 8:16pm; Reply: 133
I hate the thought of sitting tight and watch Magnay leave over a few extra costs. We need the incentives and fast
Posted by: chaos33, May 27, 2015, 8:17pm; Reply: 134
Quoted from BIGChris
The last minute or so indicates to me that he is off and we will be surprised that the club he is going to as we will consider them smaller. Seems his travel costs and location is key. He car shared with Hannah, Paddy & Parslow last season and with all them gone he can't afford the travel costs to training everyday!

He is a skilled operator on and off the pitch ( maybe trained in such at Chelsea?). Says lots about the fans and size of club. Has been offered a decent pay rise but wanted/expected more.

IMO going public is the end of negotiation.

Thanks Carl, a cracking and consistent performer BUT like every player, replaceable (somehow)

I agree BC. It makes me sad and angry because I think he'd stay if he was offered the deal he surely deserves. If Town let their player of the year leave over these issues then they open themselves up to criticism IMO. If you take him at his word, and I judge him absolutely sincere, he wants to find a way to stay. We MUST make that happen if it's in our power IMO.

What's more worrying for me is that I don't think it bodes well in terms of several other key players signing on again.  :-/
Perhaps we will not be going 'all out' for the title next season as hoped, but, more than ever, trying to do it on the cheap and hope for the best.
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, May 27, 2015, 8:20pm; Reply: 135
If he does go to York then at least we can sign him back the season after....
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 27, 2015, 8:20pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from LH
Can't see the board being too happy that he's used the media to create a bit of fan disappointment to lever a few extra quid for petrol. That said though it's what 80ish miles to Leeds? Roughly 5 litres on fuel at £1.09/litre ish. It's not a lot is it really per journey?

£15 minimum in diesel each day. Suspect there is at least 5 commutes a week which is 800 miles. £75 a week fuel, plus devaluing his vehicle. Add to that wear and tear on his vehicle plus any repairs, it soon adds up. I'm sure there is a reason why he's based Leeds way on such as family work commitments. Anyone know what Mrs Magnay does for a living? Let's get her a job in Grimsby!
Posted by: LH, May 27, 2015, 8:20pm; Reply: 137
Quoted from BIGChris

Give it to one but not others? Would we then have the team spirit/unit we witnessed last season?

Offer them either a place in digs or a fixed rate contribution per mile? It is their choice to live away after all. Surely he has an accountant to sort his short term contract fuel duty refund too?
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, May 27, 2015, 8:21pm; Reply: 138
I get the impression he will leave now, come on town we must try keep these players ffs so frustrating when you  hear him going on about a smaller club but offering him a bit more.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 27, 2015, 8:23pm; Reply: 139
Hartwells sponsor the club don't they. I am sure they have a 2yr old mondeo they could use to sponsor the clubs player of the year in return for a few extra hospitality seats per game?
Posted by: Meza, May 27, 2015, 8:23pm; Reply: 140
Not sure this is the right approach, sometimes things like this are best left to oneself.  I also think its goodbye Magnay  (most POTY do tend to leave).  My only concern is if players like Magnay, Pearson LJL are also in the same boat this feel good factor will be.....well ruined.
Posted by: TAGG, May 27, 2015, 8:25pm; Reply: 141
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Well never mind Coulson (who is still doing a good job for York), what about a bigger fish that got away  when we did not offer a few pennie more:   Danny Butterfield.

If i remember right it wasnt the money it was Fenty saying he wasnt good enough for us 😂
Posted by: ginnywings, May 27, 2015, 8:26pm; Reply: 142
Quoted from BIGChris

Didn't he state that he was one of the lower paid players? Perhaps he just wants parity.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 27, 2015, 8:27pm; Reply: 143
These lads do cars for about £150 a week including tax, servicing etc... and when you don't want to use it you give it back for a bit and stop paying. When you want it you get it back and start paying again. They call it flexible hire. All the club would need to do is insure it and add a bit of diesel, not massive over a year. All they would need to do is sell an extra 100 programmes, a load more pies or keep the bar open longer.    

http://www.northgatevehiclehire.co.uk/
Posted by: sparkles, May 27, 2015, 8:28pm; Reply: 144
Just to offer another point of view....

We only have a finite budget, with or without the boost. If he has been offered what PH thinks he is worth and he isn't prepared to stay for it then maybe we have to accept that he doesn't want to play here.
We can't afford to shift heaven & earth for every player, so if a couple believe they are worth more than they are being offered then I think we need to have faith that they will be replaced with strong players and let them go.
Posted by: ackomariner, May 27, 2015, 8:34pm; Reply: 145
He also stated that he feels the budget has been cut again. Doesn't sound to good IMO
Posted by: BIGChris, May 27, 2015, 8:35pm; Reply: 146
Quoted from ginnywings

Didn't he state that he was one of the lower paid players? Perhaps he just wants parity.

He wants 'add ons' to assist with his travel costs for next season.

Last season he was one of the lower paid players having been released by Gateshead and without a club. Town offered him a chance then and he bit their hand off.
Now he has proved himself he has been offered more but obviously not enough in his eyes
Posted by: ginnywings, May 27, 2015, 8:37pm; Reply: 147
Quoted from ackomariner
He also stated that he feels the budget has been cut again. Doesn't sound to good IMO

Indeed. The feel good factor could start to diminish quickly.
Posted by: grimps, May 27, 2015, 8:42pm; Reply: 148
This is just the same old , we let our best players go every season and start again .
What's the point of buying a season ticket when are fenty dosen't bother opening his cheque book until January ?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 27, 2015, 8:42pm; Reply: 149
Sad to say but you could see this coming. For the first time in years, we get a squad that wants to be a success and we fail to register the fact that some squad members give their all both on and off the pitch. Carl Magnay is a very good footballer at our level but on top of that good with the media, good with the fans and the sort of character who could well have become club captain post Diz.

Failure to re-sign players like Carl Magnay will cost on the pitch and also in season ticket revenue. Period.
Posted by: Meza, May 27, 2015, 8:44pm; Reply: 150
I hope the budget hasn't been cut losing key players will certainly dis-encourage more fans to purchase ST they need to use this feel good factor thats around at the min.  I fear the season ahead and JF who I've supported and admired will lose some of my support if the season ends in misery.

C'mon John don't let this feel good factor die just because you need to keep an extra few hundred notes.  Trust in the fans im sure ST salea will be up this year. .....in terms of waynes world...if you sign them they will come
Posted by: Hagrid, May 27, 2015, 8:45pm; Reply: 151
Be very very surprised to see him in a town shirt again. Big blow
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 27, 2015, 8:46pm; Reply: 152
Not sure I can accept a player demanding extras to deal with travel. Anyone else doing a regular job would be expected to foot their own travel costs or relocate to somewhere closer to their workplace. Seems somewhat selfish and egotistical for a footballer to try and demand extra wages when your average person would never expect an employer to foot similar costs. If he loved playing for town as much as he claimed he'd either move closer or just deal with the travel costs. If he's unhappy with the terms offered then he can go chance his hand with another club paying higher wages (where he obviously won't be as appreciated by the supporters and can't guarantee he'll be part of a squad with a great sense of team spirit)
Posted by: BIGChris, May 27, 2015, 8:50pm; Reply: 153
Quoted from Chrisblor
Not sure I can accept a player demanding extras to deal with travel. Anyone else doing a regular job would be expected to foot their own travel costs or relocate to somewhere closer to their workplace. Seems somewhat selfish and egotistical for a footballer to try and demand extra wages when your average person would never expect an employer to foot similar costs. If he loved playing for town as much as he claimed he'd either move closer or just deal with the travel costs. If he's unhappy with the terms offered then he can go chance his hand with another club paying higher wages (where he obviously won't be as appreciated by the supporters and can't guarantee he'll be part of a squad with a great sense of team spirit)

Wherever he goes they will be 'great' fans at a 'big club'
Posted by: fleabag1970, May 27, 2015, 8:53pm; Reply: 154
Scunny would sign Mags and Pearson .... Boycie is now their first choice CB and he isn't better than either of them .........
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 27, 2015, 8:54pm; Reply: 155
Quoted from Carl Magnay
"Not sure of the exact figures, but pretty sure the budget has been cut, knowing what the other players have been offered."
:(

[url=https://audioboom.com/boos/3222761-grimsby-town-s-player-of-the-year-carl-magnay-talks-about-his-future#t=6m0s]https://audioboom.com/boos/3222761-grimsby-town-s-player-of-the-year-carl-magnay-talks-about-his-future#t=6m0s[/url]
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 27, 2015, 8:56pm; Reply: 156
Quoted from BIGChris

Well he is a savvy operator when it comes to the media!
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, May 27, 2015, 8:58pm; Reply: 157
Should Carl be saying the budget has been cut, I don't think it's up to him to be saying that tbh. If he wants to go then that's up to him I just dint get why he would say that though  
Posted by: LH, May 27, 2015, 9:01pm; Reply: 158
I'm not sure it's that unusual for contractors to get travel costs - especially if you can convince the employer that you are the best person for the job. It's definitely something I've been advised to try and push for if possible before.
Posted by: Meza, May 27, 2015, 9:02pm; Reply: 159
Its disappointing to say the least.  A bit unprofessional from him and if true disappointed in Town.

Oh well thanks Maggers hope you have a great season.

Long live GTFC
Posted by: Hagrid, May 27, 2015, 9:02pm; Reply: 160
From the interview, i think he's upset with his offer, but it isnt his place to be discussing the budget in public, i hope this isnt how the rest are thinking!!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 27, 2015, 9:05pm; Reply: 161
I don't think that cutting the budget will improve our promotion chances whichever way you dress it up.
Posted by: CambsMariner, May 27, 2015, 9:06pm; Reply: 162
He may also be building up the hype. Other than Pearson he is the one player the fans would like to see sign a new contract. I think that we will see one or two players announcing they have signed new contracts every day over the coming weeks with Magnay and Pearson being the last two. I am more concerned about who the new players might be.
Posted by: psgmariner, May 27, 2015, 9:06pm; Reply: 163
He's left.
Posted by: psgmariner, May 27, 2015, 9:07pm; Reply: 164
https://twitter.com/mattdeanradio/status/603653320117506048
Posted by: grimps, May 27, 2015, 9:07pm; Reply: 165
Quoted from Chrisblor

He hasn't made extra travel demands ,he just said that alL the people he car shared with have been released.
I expect it's more the amount of driving each week than actual petrol money
Posted by: ackomariner, May 27, 2015, 9:08pm; Reply: 166
Quoted from Hagrid
From the interview, i think he's upset with his offer, but it isnt his place to be discussing the budget in public, i hope this isnt how the rest are thinking!!

I fear it could be how the lads feel....crying shame with how well things were going since January
Posted by: ackomariner, May 27, 2015, 9:12pm; Reply: 167
Quoted from psgmariner

LJL or Pearson  :-/
Posted by: Sigone, May 27, 2015, 9:21pm; Reply: 168
Maybe Toto
Posted by: RichMariner, May 27, 2015, 9:30pm; Reply: 169
If he's been offered more elsewhere, and he doesn't need to travel as far, then you just have to say fair enough and wish him all the best.

That's the reality of being a Conference club, and the price for missing out on promotion.

I always had the impression (don't know why) that last season's budget was a bit more than usual, and that if we didn't go up we'd have to tighten the purse strings a little this season.

We're going to feel it now more than ever before - especially as we had one of the best squads in a long time.
Posted by: chaos33, May 27, 2015, 9:43pm; Reply: 170
I guess so mate. We knew we had to get promoted last season. We just had to.
Posted by: Vance Warner, May 27, 2015, 9:51pm; Reply: 171
Quoted from ackomariner

As much as I love him it's not for him to be discussing the club's budget on the radio. He's very good at using the media to his advantage and to get the fans onside. At the end of the day if he loves it here as much as he keeps saying he'll re-sign. If not we'll move on.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 27, 2015, 9:53pm; Reply: 172
I'd have loved him to stay but the way he's conducted himself leaves a bit to be desired. Maybe we've all been sucked in by another badge-kisser. I'll still be here next season.
Posted by: chaos33, May 27, 2015, 10:00pm; Reply: 173
I don't get that. How has he conducted himself badly ?
Posted by: LH, May 27, 2015, 10:05pm; Reply: 174
I wouldn't say it was bad conduct - more poor form.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 27, 2015, 10:05pm; Reply: 175
Quoted from chaos33

Agreed. He has spoken honestly and candidly all season and been lauded for it.
Posted by: chaos33, May 27, 2015, 10:13pm; Reply: 176
Exactly. He's just spoken sincerely and given everyone an insight they wouldn't have had.
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 27, 2015, 10:13pm; Reply: 177
Quoted from chaos33

It may be the cynic in me but it feels like he's trying to leverage his position with the fans into getting a bigger offer from the club for next season. Kinda underhand if that is the case.

Posted by: Vance Warner, May 27, 2015, 10:16pm; Reply: 178
Quoted from chaos33

He's made an assumption about the budget and broadcast it on the radio when it's not his place to do so. Any employee in any job who did the same would be conducting themselves badly IMO. He's also using the media to try and get more money for himself which I can't really be ar sed with.
Posted by: chaos33, May 27, 2015, 10:17pm; Reply: 179
Fair enough if that's your view chrisblor, but I don't get that impression. Let's assume it's true though - to what end? So he can stay! If it was just a financial ruse, he would simply sign for one of the league clubs offering him more money, closer to where he lives.
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 27, 2015, 10:26pm; Reply: 180
Quoted from chaos33
Fair enough if that's your view chrisblor, but I don't get that impression. Let's assume it's true tough - to what end? So he can stay! If it was just a financial ruse, he would simply sign for one of the league clubs offering him more money, closer to where he lives.

Yeah and that's what I'm expecting him to do. He's basically saying to us "well I can earn more elsewhere, so offer me more money to stay". We've got a budget and we shouldn't allow ourselves to be held to ransom. I'd love him to stay, but we shouldn't have to break the bank and offer over and above what we can afford to make that the case.

Posted by: Garth, May 27, 2015, 10:27pm; Reply: 181
Quoted from BIGChris

Cynical but so true of badge kissers
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 27, 2015, 10:41pm; Reply: 182
Quoted from chaos33

By giving an interview to local radio where he discusses private discussions between himself and the club and the clubs budget. If he feels the offer is not good enough that's fine. Try to negotiate something better and if he still has a better offer elsewhere then I completely understand why he would leave and look after his family and himself. I'd do the same. The interview just sits uneasily with me.
Posted by: chaos33, May 27, 2015, 10:47pm; Reply: 183
Quoted from Chrisblor

Yeah and that's what I'm expecting him to do. He's basically saying to us "well I can earn more elsewhere, so offer me more money to stay". We've got a budget and we shouldn't allow ourselves to be held to ransom. I'd love him to stay, but we shouldn't have to break the bank and offer over and above what we can afford to make that the case.

I invariably agree with you mate, so fair enough, you're probably right. One or two assumptions in there though maybe mate.

This kind of thing goes on in business all the time though, and successful companies often renegotiate to keep their best staff.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 27, 2015, 11:21pm; Reply: 184
Always the case here even in the league we will always be a step up to bigger and better things for a decent player even more so at non league level.

Knew it would all end in tears for our fans face masks,banners an all seen it happen so many times here remember Stevie Kabba just one example of the top of my head,  
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 27, 2015, 11:28pm; Reply: 185
Quoted from chaos33

I invariably agree with you mate, so fair enough, you're probably right. One or two assumptions in there though maybe mate.

This kind of thing goes on in business all the time though, and successful companies often renegotiate to keep their best staff.

I get what you're saying, but I wish my employer would offer me the same terms!
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 27, 2015, 11:35pm; Reply: 186
Good player definitely . Irreplaceable no .

And he's got a dodgy knee that could go pop at any time .
Posted by: thefish, May 27, 2015, 11:38pm; Reply: 187
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Always the case here even in the league we will always be a step up to bigger and better things for a decent player even more so at non league level.

Knew it would all end in tears for our fans face masks,banners an all seen it happen so many times here remember Stevie Kabba just one example of the top of my head,  

George Santos!
Posted by: Tinymariner, May 28, 2015, 12:04am; Reply: 188
IMO he hasn't said anything wrong. He has said that the club have increased last years offer but that isn't an issue. The travelling situation and fuel costs are the stumbling block. I say sod it, loan him a motor and give him a fuel card. If we sign anyone else from up north, he can car share. Sorted.
Posted by: Youngy, May 28, 2015, 6:09am; Reply: 189
To me, he's playing the martyr a little here. He's basically intending to leave the club, he's had an offer elsewhere but is blaming the club when he probably had no intentions of staying therefore he doesn't lose any face with supporters.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, May 28, 2015, 7:10am; Reply: 190
Fennnnnnnnnnnnnnnty !!
Posted by: gytone, May 28, 2015, 9:42am; Reply: 191
Maybe, if Magnay loves the town and the area so much he should move here, I work in Leeds and know that houses are loads more expensive there as opposed to here in Grimsby,  he could pocket maybe 50k and he wouldn't have any travelling costs, jobs a gudun and everybody's happy  :)
Posted by: aldi_01, May 28, 2015, 9:45am; Reply: 192
Travelling isn't a great excuse though, may be he just fancies a challenge elsewhere?

I travel 500+ miles a week to work and earn less. The only way lower league players earn money is to move, signing on fees etc. They look at things different to many of us. 3+ years earning decent money at one club or a few pounds more every year by moving...
Posted by: BIGChris, May 28, 2015, 10:34am; Reply: 193
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Fennnnnnnnnnnnnnnty !!

I bet he will not be pleased at that interview!  :)
Posted by: horsforthmariner, May 28, 2015, 11:07am; Reply: 194
I reckon he really wants to stay and will if the club put a bit more cash in.

Why would you give an interview if you didn't want to stay - you would just sign for someone else and put up on twitter that "it's a great club but I've got to put my family first."

It's clearly a negotiating strategy and I hope it succeeds.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 28, 2015, 11:12am; Reply: 195
Maybe he's just a tosser.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 28, 2015, 11:14am; Reply: 196
Quoted from horsforthmariner
I reckon he really wants to stay and will if the club put a bit more cash in.

Why would you give an interview if you didn't want to stay - you would just sign for someone else and put up on twitter that "it's a great club but I've got to put my family first."

It's clearly a negotiating strategy and I hope it succeeds.

I'm with you till the last bit. I don't believe John Fenty is the sort of person who would like to be browbeaten into giving a pay rise to a disgruntled employee. Just my opinion mind.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), May 28, 2015, 11:20am; Reply: 197
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'm with you till the last bit. I don't believe John Fenty is the sort of person who would like to be browbeaten into giving a pay rise to a disgruntled employee. Just my opinion mind.

No he isn't.

[img]http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01514/russell_slade2_1514429c.jpg[/img]
Posted by: ackomariner, May 28, 2015, 11:20am; Reply: 198
Maybe he's just a tosser.

Like some on here
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 28, 2015, 11:23am; Reply: 199
Quoted from 97

No he isn't.

[img]http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01514/russell_slade2_1514429c.jpg[/img]

Yes. Thanks WLM - I just couldn't be arsed to find a pic of Sladeisace.  ;)
Posted by: gtfc98, May 28, 2015, 11:30am; Reply: 200
Player who spends one season at a club kissing the badge, tells us we're the best club outside the championship leaves. Shocker. Didn't see that one coming.

Move on.
Posted by: Sigone, May 29, 2015, 5:04pm; Reply: 201
Quoted from Sigone

I always had faith  ;)
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, May 29, 2015, 8:21pm; Reply: 202
Thank you Big K
Obviously you letting it out of the bag about Pearson pay cut forced Fenty into a U turn and offer him a better deal :P
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 29, 2015, 8:31pm; Reply: 203
Think the interview was part of an exit strategy designed not to make him look like the bad guy............Not sure why he did it TBH.  
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 29, 2015, 11:30pm; Reply: 204
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yes. Thanks WLM - I just couldn't be arsed to find a pic of Sladeisace.  ;)

Forget Sladeisace

We've now got Hurstiserse

Posted by: Les Brechin, May 30, 2015, 9:03am; Reply: 205
Everything in place for Carl to sign if he really wants to be a Grimsby Town player again next season according to PH in the paper today.

Quoted Text
PAUL Hurst says if Carl Magnay genuinely wants to be a Grimsby Town player next season, everything is in place for him to do so.

After seeing nine of the 12 players who were offered new contracts sign up, the Mariners boss is working hard to convince Magnay (left) and Toto Nsiala to do the same.

Magnay has this week spoken publicly of his concerns about his offer to stay at Blundell Park, but speaking to the Telegraph, Hurst says the club is 'moving forward' in attempting to resolve those issues.

"We're trying with Carl," he said. "He's obviously made public some of his concerns and we're trying to appease those.

"What I can't do is say who our signings are going to be, where they're coming from and where they're going to live. I'm not going to make any false promises – that's not how I work.

"But we've certainly moved forward in terms of trying to help ease some of Carl's concerns.

"My honest view is that if he genuinely wants to be at this football club, then he can be.

"There are some issues and concerns to address, but ultimately, the deal that he's been offered is a good one and we can sort everything else out.

"If he hand on heart wants to play for this football club, he'll re-sign.

"If he doesn't, then he'll leave with our best wishes and a very high and warm rapport with the fans.

"The opportunity for him to stay is there if he wants to stay."

"With Toto, I need to catch up with him because he went away on holiday very quickly after the final.

"I want him here, make no bones about it.

"His situation is one where, given his age and that he's been offered a deal, the club slightly has the upper hand, which makes a nice change in truth.

"For him to leave, it would take a team who's willing to pay a fee or risk going through a tribunal, unless he's moving abroad and so the ball is in Toto's court.

"But from the season that he's had, he'll now that he's improved and, with the environment we've created here, he'd be in a good place. I hope that's how he sees things and that he's happy to stay.

"He'd be another major part of this squad."

Posted by: BIGChris, May 30, 2015, 9:24am; Reply: 206
Firstly want to say I really want Magnay to stay.

I don't particularly like the negotiation by media. When that happens I don't think it will end well.

By going public I think Carl was paving the way to move on. PH has called his bluff in a way by saying improved terms have been offered and that the club are flexible to sorting out his issues.

The ball is now in Carl's court and I'd stress again I want him to stay but if he chooses to move on then so be it. We will cope!

The statement on here a few days ago is so true; "The badge on the front of the shirt is much more important than the name on the back"
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, May 30, 2015, 10:17am; Reply: 207
Quoted from BIGChris

By going public I think Carl was paving the way to move on.

I read it slightly differently. The travelling costs are not insignificant so why not try to get the club to cover them? The worst that can happen is they say no. I've no doubt that one or two other clubs are interested in him so that's in his favour and it makes sense for him to point it out. All just part of the negotiating. Hurst has now said the club have listened and the best offer he's going to get is on the table, take it or leave it.

I think the way Carl has made himself popular shows that he quite a shrewd chap. That's not to say he's false, I honestly think he loved it last season, but I think he made sure that people saw his best side. I think these negotiations are just the actions of a man with his head screwed on and who is playing the cards he's got well.

I think it's fair to say Hurst isn't daft either. His "if he truly wants to stay" remark puts the ball well and truly back in Carl's court and takes the pressure off the club should the POTY not re-sign.
Posted by: Rick12, May 30, 2015, 10:30am; Reply: 208
Quoted from BIGChris

The statement on here a few days ago is so true; "The badge on the front of the shirt is much more important than the name on the back"
Fans make the club players don't. Hence why I have so much respect and love for everyone attached to the club. Keeping it real as opposed to supporting the glamour boys eg Man Utd and the like. Says something about the person as well when you follow a team based on allegiance of some sort and locality  as opposed to wanting to be associated with success at the top.
Posted by: wigworld, May 30, 2015, 10:59am; Reply: 209
I'm not sure he'll remain such a fans favourite if he does stay. Certainly for me, this negotiating through the media doesn't make me think highly of him at all.
Posted by: Maringer, May 30, 2015, 11:50am; Reply: 210
Bear in mind that those saying we should just bung him another 100 quid a week to cover his travelling costs, that's over 5 grand extra over the next year (I'm assuming he's being offered a 2 year contract here). Not an insignificant amount at this level.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, May 30, 2015, 10:15pm; Reply: 211
I'm not sure that Magnay is as key as everyone thinks he is. Sure, he's a great full back at this level, but full back is not the most important area on the pitch. I think McKeown, Pearson, the illusive goal scorer we must sign and Diz are more important to the side than Magnay.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 30, 2015, 10:38pm; Reply: 212
I'm not sure that Magnay is as key as everyone thinks he is. Sure, he's a great full back at this level, but full back is not the most important area on the pitch. I think McKeown, Pearson, the illusive goal scorer we must sign and Diz are more important to the side than Magnay.

If full backs are not important why don't we play a couple more up front or in midfield?
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 30, 2015, 10:40pm; Reply: 213
Some good stuff on this clip, was posted on YouTube yesterday.

[youtube]DgBqnZlTwuQ[/youtube]
Posted by: CambsMariner, May 30, 2015, 10:44pm; Reply: 214
Every position in a team is as important as the next.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 30, 2015, 11:47pm; Reply: 215
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I remember when I would watch the scores on teletext/ceefax. Page 312 (news in brief) was the lifeline to the footballing world

Page 312 was in the glory days of the Second/new First Division. Sigh.

Took bloody ages for those pages to scroll round. But still cheaper than ringing Clubcall.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 31, 2015, 12:10am; Reply: 216
Quoted from Vance Warner

He's made an assumption about the budget and broadcast it on the radio when it's not his place to do so. Any employee in any job who did the same would be conducting themselves badly IMO. He's also using the media to try and get more money for himself which I can't really be ar sed with.

Well currently he isn't an employee. I'm sure the club wouldn't be averse to justifying their position in the media if asked questions like why they didn't manage to keep key players.

Sharing an assumption about a budget reduction is hardly using inside information either. Paul Hurst hinted the budget may be lower in his interview post-Wembley.

Nothing wrong with it in my opinion.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 31, 2015, 12:33am; Reply: 217
I agree how important Magnay would be next season but this thread is becoming tiresome, and for all them licking his derrier you will soon change your opinion if he leaves, it's time for an answer, yes it's time.
Posted by: RichMariner, May 31, 2015, 1:09am; Reply: 218
Full back might not be the most important area on the pitch, but it must be pretty important if the fans recognise that the full back deserves to be crowned Player of the Season.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 31, 2015, 6:05am; Reply: 219
Sorry but I don't buy Maggers excuse of distance and transport issues he as had an improved offer which he admits he has no issue with
It's make ya mind up time same with Toto.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 31, 2015, 7:25am; Reply: 220
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Page 312 was in the glory days of the Second/new First Division. Sigh.

Took bloody ages for those pages to scroll round. But still cheaper than ringing Clubcall.

I remember getting a right boll0cking for using club call. Well, I think it was club call anyway!  :-/
Posted by: lobsterpot, May 31, 2015, 8:18am; Reply: 221
Quoted from promotion plaice
I agree how important Magnay would be next season but this thread is becoming tiresome, and for all them licking his derrier you will soon change your opinion if he leaves, it's time for an answer, yes it's time.

Time for an answer? Sweet Jesus the guy aint even had time to take a post Wembley $hit yet! If I was him I'd be off on my jollies 1st. Sure, Hurst can set him a deadline to decide, he goes off feeling wanted and has time to think things through with a clear head. He will do a Pearson and see that the grass may not be greener and he's onto a good thing. Patience is a virtue!
PS Feel free to quote this when he fooks off to a league club 8)

Posted by: H19P1, May 31, 2015, 8:20am; Reply: 222
We Love you Maggy Maggy Maggers
Posted by: oldun, May 31, 2015, 10:30am; Reply: 223
Seems easy just to say here you are Carl money for your travel costs, but we need to remember team spirit is key and I am sure other players travel at their own cost so could upset the apple cart. Not worth upsetting the team to satisfy him. If he is not happy with the offer then I thank him and wish him well wherever he ends up. He is not bigger than the team.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, May 31, 2015, 10:36am; Reply: 224
After listening to Paul's interview on Friday I'm quietly confident both Carl and Toto will re-sign!
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, May 31, 2015, 11:46am; Reply: 225
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
After listening to Paul's interview on Friday I'm quietly confident both Carl and Toto will re-sign!

I am too.

I think Carl may regret discussing things in public as it's rubbed a few people up the wrong way but I don't think what he's actually asked for is a problem. The club can say yes, no, meet you half way, or whatever. I think (well, hope) that he'll sign up soon and he will be the fans favourite again.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), May 31, 2015, 11:51am; Reply: 226
He says length of contract is an issue so I assume he's looking for two years. I've been critical of the clubs policy of allowing key players contracts to expire but to be fair, would a relatively long term deal be a danger in this case? I worry about Carl's knee. He suffered an ACL injury a few years ago and had to be nursed through games last season, he couldn't play two games in a week and I think towards the end of the season his form dropped a little bit. Is there a problem with his knee?
Posted by: gobby, May 31, 2015, 12:14pm; Reply: 227
Quoted from 75
He says length of contract is an issue so I assume he's looking for two years. I've been critical of the clubs policy of allowing key players contracts to expire but to be fair, would a relatively long term deal be a danger in this case? I worry about Carl's knee. He suffered an ACL injury a few years ago and had to be nursed through games last season, he couldn't play two games in a week and I think towards the end of the season his form dropped a little bit. Is there a problem with his knee?

Carl Magnay 2014-2015 Games
Date     Opposition     Minutes     Goals     Card     Sub
09/08/2014     Bristol Rovers     90     0     None     No
12/08/2014     Nuneaton     90     0     None     No
16/08/2014     Dover     88     0     None     No
23/08/2014     Gateshead     90     0     None     No
25/08/2014     Alfreton     78     0     Yellow     No
30/08/2014     Aldershot     90     0     None     No
06/09/2014     Welling     90     0     None     No
09/09/2014     Lincoln     90     0     None     No
13/09/2014     Torquay     90     0     None     No
16/09/2014     Halifax     90     0     None     No
20/09/2014     Kidderminster     90     0     None     No
27/09/2014     Chester     90     0     None     No
30/09/2014     Southport     90     0     None     No
04/10/2014     Dartford     90     0     Yellow     No
07/10/2014     Altrincham     90     0     None     No
11/10/2014     Wrexham     90     0     None     No
18/10/2014     Torquay     90     0     None     No
25/10/2014     Guiseley     90     0     None     No
01/11/2014     Dartford     90     1     None     No
04/11/2014     Braintree     95     0     Yellow     No
11/11/2014     Halifax     55     0     None     No
15/11/2014     Altrincham     90     0     None     No
22/11/2014     Kidderminster     90     0     None     No
25/11/2014     Woking     90     0     None     No
29/11/2014     Telford     90     0     None     No
13/12/2014     Nuneaton     90     0     None     No
19/12/2014     Forest Green     93     0     Yellow     No
28/12/2014     Lincoln     46     0     Yellow     No
10/01/2015     Gateshead     90     0     None     No
17/01/2015     Barnet     90     0     None     No
21/01/2015     Gateshead     90     0     None     No
24/01/2015     Nuneaton     90     0     None     No
27/01/2015     Eastleigh     90     0     None     No
07/02/2015     Forest Green     90     0     None     No
14/02/2015     Bristol Rovers     90     0     Yellow     No
21/02/2015     Barnet     90     0     None     No
24/02/2015     Telford     90     0     None     No
28/02/2015     Braintree     90     0     None     No
07/03/2015     Woking     90     0     None     No
14/03/2015     Chester     90     0     None     No
21/03/2015     Eastleigh     90     0     Yellow     No
24/03/2015     Dover     90     0     None     No
28/03/2015     Welling     90     0     None     No
04/04/2015     Gateshead     90     0     None     No
11/04/2015     Wrexham     90     0     None     No
18/04/2015     Southport     90     0     None     No
30/04/2015     Eastleigh     90     0     Yellow     No
01/04/2015     Eastleigh     90     0     None     No
17/04/2015     Bristol Rovers     90     0     Yellow     No

I think you need to check his stats before saying he could not play 2 games in a week!  but then again he did miss a couple of games around New Year.8)
UTMM
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 31, 2015, 12:31pm; Reply: 228
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I remember getting a right boll0cking for using club call. Well, I think it was club call anyway!  :-/

You had to be careful with those 0898 numbers. One wrong digit and instead of finding out about Alan and the boys you got Busty Barbara from Bromley and it's amazing how long it took her to find the Town score. That was my excuse and I'm sticking to it.  ;)
Posted by: rancido, May 31, 2015, 4:35pm; Reply: 229

Every position is important and all the components together make a team. The advantage Magnay has is that he can play either right or left back. As well as this flexibility it also means we possibly need one less back-up defender.

On another point I cannot understand some of the hypocrisy in this thread. The Board and JF have been constantly slated in the past for not running the club correctly as regards the finances. A lot don't like our dependence on JF being a " financial crutch " to ensure the clubs survival. He and the Board bring out a playing budget for the year - ie one that is affordable. Then, as soon as it seems that one player can't be accommodated within that structure then there are demands for JF to dig in his pockets or change the arrangement to suit that player. Now I want promotion just as much as the next supporter and I also don't want to lose one of our best players but how far do you go to achieve this ?
Posted by: rancido, May 31, 2015, 4:42pm; Reply: 230
Quoted from gobby

Carl Magnay 2014-2015 Games
Date     Opposition     Minutes     Goals     Card     Sub
09/08/2014     Bristol Rovers     90     0     None     No
12/08/2014     Nuneaton     90     0     None     No
16/08/2014     Dover     88     0     None     No
23/08/2014     Gateshead     90     0     None     No
25/08/2014     Alfreton     78     0     Yellow     No
30/08/2014     Aldershot     90     0     None     No
06/09/2014     Welling     90     0     None     No
09/09/2014     Lincoln     90     0     None     No
13/09/2014     Torquay     90     0     None     No
16/09/2014     Halifax     90     0     None     No
20/09/2014     Kidderminster     90     0     None     No
27/09/2014     Chester     90     0     None     No
30/09/2014     Southport     90     0     None     No
04/10/2014     Dartford     90     0     Yellow     No
07/10/2014     Altrincham     90     0     None     No
11/10/2014     Wrexham     90     0     None     No
18/10/2014     Torquay     90     0     None     No
25/10/2014     Guiseley     90     0     None     No
01/11/2014     Dartford     90     1     None     No
04/11/2014     Braintree     95     0     Yellow     No
11/11/2014     Halifax     55     0     None     No
15/11/2014     Altrincham     90     0     None     No
22/11/2014     Kidderminster     90     0     None     No
25/11/2014     Woking     90     0     None     No
29/11/2014     Telford     90     0     None     No
13/12/2014     Nuneaton     90     0     None     No
19/12/2014     Forest Green     93     0     Yellow     No
28/12/2014     Lincoln     46     0     Yellow     No
10/01/2015     Gateshead     90     0     None     No
17/01/2015     Barnet     90     0     None     No
21/01/2015     Gateshead     90     0     None     No
24/01/2015     Nuneaton     90     0     None     No
27/01/2015     Eastleigh     90     0     None     No
07/02/2015     Forest Green     90     0     None     No
14/02/2015     Bristol Rovers     90     0     Yellow     No
21/02/2015     Barnet     90     0     None     No
24/02/2015     Telford     90     0     None     No
28/02/2015     Braintree     90     0     None     No
07/03/2015     Woking     90     0     None     No
14/03/2015     Chester     90     0     None     No
21/03/2015     Eastleigh     90     0     Yellow     No
24/03/2015     Dover     90     0     None     No
28/03/2015     Welling     90     0     None     No
04/04/2015     Gateshead     90     0     None     No
11/04/2015     Wrexham     90     0     None     No
18/04/2015     Southport     90     0     None     No
30/04/2015     Eastleigh     90     0     Yellow     No
01/04/2015     Eastleigh     90     0     None     No
17/04/2015     Bristol Rovers     90     0     Yellow     No

I think you need to check his stats before saying he could not play 2 games in a week!  but then again he did miss a couple of games around New Year.8)
UTMM

I think the statement about being unable to play twice a week came from the club or Magnay himself. I also seem to recall it said " consistently " playing twice a week.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 31, 2015, 5:03pm; Reply: 231
Could one of you Twitterers post this for Magnay:

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?b-cs/
:)
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, June 1, 2015, 10:14am; Reply: 232
Hartlepool fan has said he is close to agreeing a deal with them. Again all here say but he did make a point of ringing me this morning saying will happen early this week. Time will tell
Posted by: 935 (Guest), June 1, 2015, 10:25am; Reply: 233
Seems odd as Hartlepool is about the same distance from Leeds as GY...
Posted by: psgmariner, June 1, 2015, 10:41am; Reply: 234
Quoted from 935
Seems odd as Hartlepool is about the same distance from Leeds as GY...

He could move back to the North East where his family are though.
Posted by: pizzzza, June 1, 2015, 10:49am; Reply: 235
Quoted from 75
I worry about Carl's knee. He suffered an ACL injury a few years ago and had to be nursed through games last season, he couldn't play two games in a week and I think towards the end of the season his form dropped a little bit. Is there a problem with his knee?

Quoted from gobby

UTMM

He said he needed an extra days rest after each game. Playing twice a week Sat/Tue is fine, but his problem was in playing twice in three days such as at Easter when he played the Saturday game against Gateshead but had to sit out the game on the Monday against Alfreton.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, June 1, 2015, 11:05am; Reply: 236
I'm starting to look at this slightly different now.

We have had the majority of our core players sign up very quickly which shows imo the wage being offered seems to be rather decent for our level.

Take Scott Brown he is from liverpool which is alot further than Leeds and he signed without much hesitation.

When you take into account the distance is Leeds really that far ? An hour and a quarter or so is not much in commuting miles nowadays.

If he signs he signs but as Paul said its all in place for him to do so if he wants to, its now coming to the question does he really want to ?

Good player and one I would want to keep but the novelty soon wears off and I'm sure if he leaves we will find someone else to show our appreciation to.

The grass ain't always greener Carl.
Posted by: gtfc98, June 1, 2015, 11:10am; Reply: 237
Quoted from jonnyboy82
I'm starting to look at this slightly different now.

We have had the majority of our core players sign up very quickly which shows imo the wage being offered seems to be rather decent for our level.

Take Scott Brown he is from liverpool which is alot further than Leeds and he signed without much hesitation.

When you take into account the distance is Leeds really that far ? An hour and a quarter or so is not much in commuting miles nowadays.

If he signs he signs but as Paul said its all in place for him to do so if he wants to, its now coming to the question does he really want to ?

Good player and one I would want to keep but the novelty soon wears off and I'm sure if he leaves we will find someone else to show our appreciation to.

The grass ain't always greener Carl.

Couldn't agree more! If he signs then great, if he doesn't then he'll just look like another one in a long line of badge kissing phoney's.

Over to you Carl...
Posted by: jonnyboy82, June 1, 2015, 11:31am; Reply: 238
Wait...

We agree ?  ;D
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 1, 2015, 11:31am; Reply: 239
Brown shares one of fentys houses in this area...
Posted by: gtfc98, June 1, 2015, 11:53am; Reply: 240
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Wait...

We agree ?  ;D

I know, I nearly fell off my chair!

Hotdog's to celebrate.....
Posted by: jonnyboy82, June 1, 2015, 12:00pm; Reply: 241
Wilkingers all round  ;D
Posted by: StickfordMariner, June 1, 2015, 12:33pm; Reply: 242
Brown and Mackreth house share I believe there was a video on the OS a few months ago a day in the life of with them to sharing , it was a smart place swimming pool as well
Posted by: gtfc98, June 1, 2015, 2:52pm; Reply: 243
Signed for Hartlepool.

What a buffoon.
Posted by: Strandty, June 1, 2015, 2:54pm; Reply: 244
Well that's plenty of people's good mood from today shot!
Posted by: headingly_mariner, June 1, 2015, 2:55pm; Reply: 245
Quoted from gtfc98
Signed for Hartlepool.

What a buffoon.

All that badge kissing, oh well he's only a right back!
Posted by: BIGChris, June 1, 2015, 2:56pm; Reply: 246
Quoted from Strandty
Well that's plenty of people's good mood from today shot!

Honestly dont think Carl Magnay can derail this train!!!
Posted by: 75 (Guest), June 1, 2015, 2:56pm; Reply: 247
Hartlepool, what a knobhead. We'll see him on the way past them.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), June 1, 2015, 2:56pm; Reply: 248
We move on... Nothing more to say on the matter.
Posted by: mariner91, June 1, 2015, 2:57pm; Reply: 249
We move on. Thanks for your work last season Carl, you were a very good player but you're not irreplaceable. In Hurst We Trust.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, June 1, 2015, 2:58pm; Reply: 250
Quoted from BIGChris

Honestly dont think Carl Magnay can derail this train!!!

Have to agree. If it had happened a week ago it would have been a real blow. The fact that so many players have already re-signed and the immediate success of operation promotion means I'm not actually that bothered. Would have liked him to stay but if anyone can find a good full back it's PH.
Posted by: Chrisblor, June 1, 2015, 2:58pm; Reply: 251
Footballers really do love talking out of their arses when bigging up supporters don't they...
Posted by: MawsleyMariner, June 1, 2015, 2:58pm; Reply: 252
It could have been the best day ever.......

Stay positive and move on.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, June 1, 2015, 3:00pm; Reply: 253
He bloody loves Hartlepool. Best supporters in the world.
Posted by: Maringer, June 1, 2015, 3:04pm; Reply: 254
Ah well, he's from the north east isn't he? I'd imagine that moving closer to home, the lure of the Football League and perhaps a bit more cash must have been enough to tempt him.

A pity he hasn't signed for us again but I think the signings of Pearson and Gowling were of more importance. I trust Hurst to find a capable replacement.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 1, 2015, 3:05pm; Reply: 255
Had the shop and naggers on my screen saver at work (along with Futch and super clive), any suggestions on replacements??
Posted by: cmackenzie4, June 1, 2015, 3:05pm; Reply: 256
Very surprised at this, bit miffed off but like others have said he's replaceable, we move on.
Posted by: psgmariner, June 1, 2015, 3:06pm; Reply: 257
Could the big His Name is Carl Magnay banner be added as a reward to the crowdfunding site now?!

Shame he has gone but was always on the cards.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, June 1, 2015, 3:07pm; Reply: 258
Bye then.
Posted by: Freemoash88, June 1, 2015, 3:07pm; Reply: 259
It's his choice closer to home and offered more money who can blame him really oh forgot to add there in the football league.
Posted by: Caesar, June 1, 2015, 3:08pm; Reply: 260
If this had happened before Pearson signed I would of been gutted, but loss though it is the great sucess of today and last Friday means I really don't mind.  Slightly annoyed by the obvious false platitudes he seemed to give off but we have a great bunch that have stayed here and I care far more about them!

UTM
Posted by: Kymariner12, June 1, 2015, 3:08pm; Reply: 261
We achieved the playoffs twice before without Carl and can at least do so again. A move back to his native north east isn't surprising, rather hartlepool than a league rival
Posted by: psgmariner, June 1, 2015, 3:09pm; Reply: 262
Quoted from Freemoash88
It's his choice closer to home and offered more money who can blame him really oh forgot to add there in the football league.

Quite.

Don't blame him at all. I never bought in to the badge kissing nonsense. Those who do it tend to be the least loyal!

Posted by: 120790 (Guest), June 1, 2015, 3:09pm; Reply: 263
I have a feeling that the reason this isn't on the website is because we are about to announce it at the same time as a new signing today.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 1, 2015, 3:10pm; Reply: 264
people calling him names is bit harsh.

but what i will say, is why don't the fans take to the loyal players more ?

McKeown, Disley, Pearson - these 3 have been here 4+ years if i am correct ? and all 3 can play at least a league above, these are the kind of players we want at this club !
Posted by: Lumpsleftbreast, June 1, 2015, 3:10pm; Reply: 265
Can't blame him for said reasons but we move on and hope no 'fans' turn on the club over this.

I think Magnay should donate to Operationpromotion as a parting gift ;)
Posted by: gobby, June 1, 2015, 3:11pm; Reply: 266
Good luck to the lad, closer to home in the North East, more money and football league, no brainer for me 8)
UTMM
Posted by: LH, June 1, 2015, 3:12pm; Reply: 267
He learned his badge kissing and media shite talking from some of the best in the game. Can't blame him for moving on though. An outstanding performer last season and deserves his step up. Good luck Carl. Now spend this Op Promo money wisely Paul!
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, June 1, 2015, 3:13pm; Reply: 268
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
people calling him names is bit harsh.

but what i will say, is why don't the fans take to the loyal players more ?

McKeown, Disley, Pearson - these 3 have been here 4+ years if i am correct ? and all 3 can play at least a league above, these are the kind of players we want at this club !

I think we can expect Pearson to become a true Town hero. An absolute class act on and off the pitch, and the fact he turned down more money elsewhere to (hopefully) lead us to promotion has perhaps reminded us all how lucky we are to have him.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, June 1, 2015, 3:15pm; Reply: 269
Source?

Never mind....just seen it
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 1, 2015, 3:16pm; Reply: 270
Calling him a buffoon for signing for a Football League side closer to home is a touch harsh. Put in a superb shift for us last season and was a big part of the positive 'togetherness' between players and fans last season.

He's done what all of us would do in the same situation, he's gone for the deal that makes most sense for him and his family. Good luck to him.
Posted by: ska face, June 1, 2015, 3:19pm; Reply: 271
There's been 27 pages of weeping & wailing, let's crack on with #operationpromotion.

Hopefully this might help convince Toto to stop if he's to be first choice RB.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 1, 2015, 3:21pm; Reply: 272
Good player, had a very good season and has moved up a notch nearer to home. Football is a short career and he has gone with what is best for him. Good while it lasted but he aint Town, we are.
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 1, 2015, 3:22pm; Reply: 273
Quoted from ska face
There's been 27 pages of weeping & wailing, let's crack on with #operationpromotion.

Hopefully this might help convince Toto to stop if he's to be first choice RB.

I reckon we could do better in the RB department than have Toto there. Don't get me wrong he's an excellent center back but he's a pretty average right back.
Posted by: MawsleyMariner, June 1, 2015, 3:23pm; Reply: 274
Quoted from Lumpsleftbreast
Can't blame him for said reasons but we move on and hope no 'fans' turn on the club over this.

I think Magnay should donate to Operationpromotion as a parting gift ;)

He should chuck in that petrol money he is now saving.....
Posted by: Maringer, June 1, 2015, 3:23pm; Reply: 275
Toto isn't nearly good enough on the ball to play right-back regularly. He invariably manages to pick out an opposition player whenever he tries to pass it out from the back. OK as cover, but no more.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 1, 2015, 3:24pm; Reply: 276
the name on the front is more important than the one on the back. Carls History,  and utm for next season, we can go up without him
Posted by: ginnywings, June 1, 2015, 3:26pm; Reply: 277
Hurst forte is signing good defenders, so i'm not worried about a right back, who does have a dodgy knee remember. He'll get a suitable replacement in.

Not concerned at all about the defence, it's the strikers we have to get right.
Posted by: Chrisblor, June 1, 2015, 3:27pm; Reply: 278
Quoted from pontoonlew
Calling him a buffoon for signing for a Football League side closer to home is a touch harsh. Put in a superb shift for us last season and was a big part of the positive 'togetherness' between players and fans last season.

He's done what all of us would do in the same situation, he's gone for the deal that makes most sense for him and his family. Good luck to him.

If he'd said that was the case instead of blowing smoke up our arses about petrol money being the main reason he was stalling on signing a new contract and making baseless and factually incorrect assertions about a reduced playing budget this season then I think we'd be more accepting of his decision. Trying to manipulate the club and supporters after spending the whole season banging on about us being the best supported club outside the championship doesn't sit well with me.

If he loved it that much here then he'd have moved closer. It's not like north east Lincs is the costliest place in the world to live.
Posted by: BIGChris, June 1, 2015, 3:27pm; Reply: 279
No problem whatsoever with Magnay moving into the Football league as i think we ll agree he is at least League 2 quality.

A little peeved about the travelling excuse,as from his home (i wont post exactly were that is) it is 64.1miles from BP and 76.1 Miles from Hartlepools ground! (and 18mins longer according to AA route planner)  ;)

We move on.

Carl Magnaycannot de-rail the momentum of this promotion train!!!!
Posted by: forza ivano, June 1, 2015, 3:28pm; Reply: 280
Quoted from ginnywings
Good player, had a very good season and has moved up a notch nearer to home. Football is a short career and he has gone with what is best for him. Good while it lasted but he aint Town, we are.

this
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, June 1, 2015, 3:29pm; Reply: 281
http://www.hartlepoolunited.co.uk/news/article/hartlepool-sign-carl-magnay-from-grimsby-town-2477655.aspx

Had to be Ronnie Moore the old yorkie shithead always hated Grimsby.

Time to ditch the masks and Banners guys and move on send them to Jeff Sterling.

Leeds to Hartlepool 80 mile Leeds to GY 70 mile.
yeah the distance must have been the clincher  Carl ......................................lol
Posted by: sonik, June 1, 2015, 3:30pm; Reply: 282
Quoted from BIGChris
No problem whatsoever with Magnay moving into the Football league as i think we ll agree he is at least League 2 quality.

A little peeved about the travelling excuse,as from his home (i wont post exactly were that is) it is 64.1miles from BP and 76.1 Miles from Hartlepools ground! (and 18mins longer according to AA route planner)  ;)

We move on.

Carl Magnaycannot de-rail the momentum of this promotion train!!!!

This! With bells on.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), June 1, 2015, 3:31pm; Reply: 283
I still think the reason it isn't on the OS is because they are also about to release news on a new signing today. Shoot me if I'm wrong
Posted by: ginnywings, June 1, 2015, 3:33pm; Reply: 284
It may be further to Hartlepool but he is no doubt being paid more and he has gone up a division, so you can't really blame him. He's also a N.E. lad.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, June 1, 2015, 3:38pm; Reply: 285
Same average gates as Hartlepool, but League 2 clubs receive an extra around 300K youth funding grant and at least 240K (2013/14 figures) for being in the league.

Average League 2 wages in 2013 was between £1,300 to £1,500 a week, how much do our players earn? Maybe £800 a week max?

I don't know about you lot, but I would love a nice £500 a week pay rise!
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, June 1, 2015, 3:38pm; Reply: 286
Quoted from BIGChris

A little peeved about the travelling excuse,as from his home (i wont post exactly were that is) it is 64.1miles from BP and 76.1 Miles from Hartlepools ground!

Currently drawing circles with the appropriate radii centred on the two grounds. Where they intersect is where his house is. I'm coming for you Maggers.

It appears to be out in the North Sea which is odd but my circles logic is sound so I'm sorting a boat out.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 1, 2015, 3:40pm; Reply: 287
Quoted from ginnywings

Absolutely.

I mentioned on another thread that we have to accept football is a professional game and players have to make the same decisions that the rest of us about their futures.

This bloke has enjoyed being here but everyone has their own situation and ambition to consider. I wouldn't bad mouth him at all. He played well for Town and gave value for money. This season isn't last season. He moves on. We move on.

Someone will fill his space. The ability across the squad, the overall balance and the team spirit are the most important things.
Posted by: grimps, June 1, 2015, 3:40pm; Reply: 288
Delete this thread and all other threads , photos and memories of him and lets move on.
Lets face it he was only a full back anyway and we all know that was the crap players position at school with the instructions of 'if in doubt kick it out'
Posted by: pizzzza, June 1, 2015, 3:41pm; Reply: 289
It was more the cost than the distance, if he is able to car share then its cheaper if a bit longer or maybe, perhaps, they offered him more money!
Posted by: Trawler, June 1, 2015, 3:42pm; Reply: 290
He was class but his knee always gave me worries.

As Meanwood Mariner says - if anybody can find a Full Back it's Paul Hurst.
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, June 1, 2015, 3:42pm; Reply: 291
Sod him, no player is bigger than GTFC.

Whoever we sign through the Boost the Budget campaign will be an instant hit... Carl who?
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 1, 2015, 3:43pm; Reply: 292
Not sure why some fans are getting abusive, it's not that long ago he was the fans favourite and POTY.

I think you will find in most cases a player's favourite club is the one he is currently playing for.

I'm sure the opportunity to play at a higher level and more than likely higher wages are the reason behind his move.

Thanks for his performances last season and let's look to his replacement.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 1, 2015, 3:44pm; Reply: 293
Unfortunately, this is how football is these days.  Ok with him moving on.  I just don't like all the "loyalty banter, and comments about travel costs etc".

We will progress with the players who really want to be here.
Posted by: MARINERSMAN22, June 1, 2015, 3:46pm; Reply: 294
It is a terrible shame, as he was a key gem and an amazing player recreated by Hurst: from Gateshead reject to easily the best RB in the league.

He was so instrumental last term and worked well with the squad, but who is to say Hurst wont pluck another reject for free, and do the same?

UTM
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), June 1, 2015, 3:47pm; Reply: 295
We can probably wave to him coming the other way in May as we go up and Hartlepool come down. Because they are most definitely relegation fodder this time around.
Posted by: immariner, June 1, 2015, 3:48pm; Reply: 296
As Hurst said, if he'd have really wanted to be a part of the club next season he'd have signed. Not saying I hope he doesn't regret it! Hard to replace but not impossible.
Posted by: mariner91, June 1, 2015, 3:49pm; Reply: 297

I think we can expect Pearson to become a true Town hero. An absolute class act on and off the pitch, and the fact he turned down more money elsewhere to (hopefully) lead us to promotion has perhaps reminded us all how lucky we are to have him.

Quite. Pearson was the irreplaceable one, he is head and shoulders above the other centre backs in this league IMO and the fact he's stayed so loyal for so long after so many disappointments is incredible. Add in to that the work he does off the pitch and we are exceedingly lucky to have him.
Posted by: 935 (Guest), June 1, 2015, 3:51pm; Reply: 298
Still not on the OS... Theyre clearly  not too bothered ....
Posted by: KK_DOG, June 1, 2015, 4:01pm; Reply: 299
Very disappointed, great player, good look to him. We move on.
Posted by: Caesar, June 1, 2015, 4:02pm; Reply: 300
Just seeing on twitter that he is moving back to the North East so will significantly reduce his commute.  

Kind of want to kill this thread now as it has all been said, can understand him moving, shame he gave it the big mouth about us being the greatest but I will still him wish him luck going forward, espically as he has gone to a club in a different league to us.  I want to focus on those who are staying as they are the ones who will take us forward!
Posted by: gytone, June 1, 2015, 4:02pm; Reply: 301
Can we have our player of the year award back and give it to a real Town legend in the making, Shaun Pearson  :)
Posted by: RoboCod, June 1, 2015, 4:03pm; Reply: 302

Currently drawing circles with the appropriate radii centred on the two grounds. Where they intersect is where his house is. I'm coming for you Maggers.

It appears to be out in the North Sea which is odd but my circles logic is sound so I'm sorting a boat out.

Are you multiplying with  Pi to calculate  the circumference of your circle to its diameter? GrimRob will help you with Pythagoras (thumbup)
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, June 1, 2015, 4:04pm; Reply: 303
[img]http://i.imgur.com/vXLZWJ5.png[/img]
[url=https://twitter.com/carlmagnay_icon]https://twitter.com/carlmagnay_icon[/url]
Posted by: cjbill, June 1, 2015, 4:04pm; Reply: 304
Disappointed he has left. Had a great season with us and so has deserved a step up to the league.

To me it makes the retention of Pearson even more significant. Albeit different positions but equally as key players imo.
Posted by: nightrider, June 1, 2015, 4:10pm; Reply: 305

Ahoy! Me too. Quickest boat gets the bait!
Posted by: nightrider, June 1, 2015, 4:16pm; Reply: 306
Im surprised he's left. As much as I didn't buy into all the badge kissing, I still thought he loved being at Gy. Obviously not or theyre breaking the bank
Posted by: StickfordMariner, June 1, 2015, 4:16pm; Reply: 307
end of the day he came played well went home , were bigger than any player as a club and like so many have stated for anyone in this division can find a full back its Paul Hurst.  #InHurstweTrust
Posted by: RichMariner, June 1, 2015, 4:19pm; Reply: 308
Quoted from gytone
Can we have our player of the year award back and give it to a real Town legend in the making, Shaun Pearson  :)

Well he got the All That and a Bag of Chips Fantasy Player of the Season award!

[url]https://richmariner.wordpress.com/2015/05/31/grimsby-towns-player-of-the-season-according-to-fantasy-football-points-is/[/url]
Posted by: Marinerz93, June 1, 2015, 4:37pm; Reply: 309
Good bye Magers and good luck, it's not going to be easy kissing the badge of a poor team set for the conference.
Posted by: Garth, June 1, 2015, 4:56pm; Reply: 310
Good player, gave his all while he was here and has now moved up the ladder so to speak, good luck Carl we move on
Posted by: rancido, June 1, 2015, 5:02pm; Reply: 311
Quoted from Marinerz93
Good bye Magers and good luck, it's not going to be easy kissing the badge of a poor team set for the conference.

It certainly looked like Hartlepool were destined for relegation for quite a while last season.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 1, 2015, 5:14pm; Reply: 312
Good luck Carl though I hope you apologised to PH and JF for doing that interview last week because, in the context of what's happened since, I think you were out of order.
Posted by: chicaneuk, June 1, 2015, 5:22pm; Reply: 313
Gutted :( All the best, Carl!
Posted by: springstomind, June 1, 2015, 5:29pm; Reply: 314
Hartlepool? Jesus. Must be about money.. Poor move Maggers, had a great thing here.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, June 1, 2015, 5:30pm; Reply: 315
Quoted from 75
Hartlepool, what a knobhead. We'll see him on the way past them.

:)
Posted by: springstomind, June 1, 2015, 5:33pm; Reply: 316
Pearson signed... And he shows same amount if not more promise as Magnay.. This baffles me.. It's hardly a reusable offer from an amazing club. Money grabbing illegitimate :P like him whilst he was here though .
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 1, 2015, 5:33pm; Reply: 317
I think we should credit Paul Hurst (never thought I'd find myself typing that).
He pretty much said 'take it or leave it' and Maggers left it. NO-ONE is good enough to hold this club to ransom. I don't particularly wish him well nor otherwise. One season does not make a legend in my eyes.
He's gone, He'll be replaced and we'll start again. A loss, but not a great loss. Players now know we don't pay silly money and team spirit will not be disrupted. I am still the most optimistic pre-season than I have been since joining this league.

Thanks Maggers. See ya.
Posted by: GrimRob, June 1, 2015, 5:36pm; Reply: 318
We only want 100% committed players. End of.
Posted by: tarka, June 1, 2015, 5:53pm; Reply: 319
I really don't understand the ill feeling on here - he is a very good player at this level who gave his all for the Club. He wasn't happy about the offer he received so he went elsewhere....footballers have families and commitments like the rest of us. Yes, he was wrong for talking to RH about it but he more than earned his money last season and I wish him well.  Both he, and Grimsby Town will move on!
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, June 1, 2015, 6:09pm; Reply: 320
Magnay has not done himself any favours he should have kept his big gob shut no player is bigger than the club.

Time to move on please.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 1, 2015, 6:12pm; Reply: 321
So much for the love of the club and fans,

He will not have the amount of fans loving him at Harlepool,

BUT

Good luck to him, we move on.
Posted by: jungleland, June 1, 2015, 6:17pm; Reply: 322
Carl who ? Forgotten him already  ;)
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, June 1, 2015, 6:19pm; Reply: 323
Shame, he did well for us so I wish him well.

Now where's that amazing new signing who's playing full back for us?!
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 1, 2015, 6:22pm; Reply: 324
Was the Lincoln full back Miller at the club the other day ?

Is he good enough to be 1st choice ?
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, June 1, 2015, 6:24pm; Reply: 325
Think he would be good enough and can play cb too. Could be a good replacememt and Lincoln fans seem v keen to keep him.
Posted by: Belfast Town, June 1, 2015, 6:42pm; Reply: 326
Quoted from grimsby pete
So much for the love of the club and fans,

He will not have the amount of fans loving him at Harlepool,

BUT

Good luck to him, we move on.

They're better supported than us.....at home at least.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, June 1, 2015, 7:06pm; Reply: 327
[img]http://img.humorsharing.com/media/images/1202/i_1352_overcrowded-overloaded-vehicles-017.jpg[/img]

maggers on his way up to Hartlepool milking that car share.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, June 1, 2015, 7:20pm; Reply: 328
Good luck playing for Ronnie Nomore !!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Marinerz93, June 1, 2015, 7:28pm; Reply: 329
Quoted from tarka
I really don't understand the ill feeling on here - he is a very good player at this level who gave his all for the Club. He wasn't happy about the offer he received so he went elsewhere....footballers have families and commitments like the rest of us. Yes, he was wrong for talking to RH about it but he more than earned his money last season and I wish him well.  Both he, and Grimsby Town will move on!

Some of the ill feeling has come from what he said to people outside of what has been reported.  Citing fuel / travelling and that he was desperate to stay to get Town promoted, when all along he would have been better keeping his mouth shut or being honest and say he has has to review his options.
Posted by: TAGG, June 1, 2015, 7:41pm; Reply: 330
Good luck to the bloke. Sure he gave his best whilst in a Town shirt so I for one wish him all the best.
He's done what is best for him and his family I'm sure everyone on here would do the same if they wouldn't they are idiots.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 1, 2015, 8:22pm; Reply: 331
Can't blame him for getting the best deal for himself and his career. If staying in/at Grimsby was the only honourable decision none of us exiles and former exiles would have left home.

Having said that, I can't help feeling that, like the Shop, he's taking a bit of a risk.

Good luck Maggers.
Posted by: fiveallive, June 1, 2015, 8:39pm; Reply: 332
Gutted came home from work when i found out he's left, been waiting to see if he has signed. I can't blame him moving closer with his family in the north east he will be a tough player to replace with the ease that he had played at RB and LB and could also play CB aswell real diamond of player.

I thought he was the best LB in the league when he played against us for Gateshead, and when he got released i thought we could do with him and PH signed him just a shame he never signed a extra year i know 2 year deals can fail like say a Joe Colbeck or Paddy with no disrespect to them but he's a huge loss.

But his RB position hopefully could be vacated by say Tom Miller if we where able to get him, but we still need cover for LB now.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 1, 2015, 10:14pm; Reply: 333
Quoted from jonnyboy82
[img]http://img.humorsharing.com/media/images/1202/i_1352_overcrowded-overloaded-vehicles-017.jpg[/img]

maggers on his way up to Hartlepool milking that car share.

Superb, sad to lose him but time to move on, that's football

Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 1, 2015, 10:21pm; Reply: 334
Actually thinking on he's better than Hartlepool is he "selling himself" short?
Posted by: Teestogreen, June 1, 2015, 11:54pm; Reply: 335
Bit of a strange one this - Carl has performed so well this season that the Town fans have voted him player of the year, and he is so well appreciated.

So to end up at Hartlepool (which to be fair) is a poor club, probably further away from Leeds than Grimsby - best of luck with that - sad for the lad.
Posted by: RalphFilthy, June 2, 2015, 12:49am; Reply: 336
well he did say the club he was talking to was so much smaller than Grimsby. He's gonna have an interesting time explaining that one away to his new fans.

Whatever happens, I wish him the best, unfortunate interview aside, he seemed to give everything he had to the cause, and you cannot ask more than that really
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 2, 2015, 7:19am; Reply: 337
Quoted from Teestogreen
Bit of a strange one this - Carl has performed so well this season that the Town fans have voted him player of the year, and he is so well appreciated.

So to end up at Hartlepool (which to be fair) is a poor club, probably further away from Leeds than Grimsby - best of luck with that - sad for the lad.

He did say that he was moving back to Durham to be near his family.
Posted by: Teestogreen, June 2, 2015, 7:35am; Reply: 338
Perhaps Durham City might sign him next season :) or Spennymoor / Bishop Auckland / West Auckland / Billingham S. If Premier League players thought like this, there would be no one in it.
Posted by: Maringer, June 2, 2015, 7:37am; Reply: 339
It's a no-brainer for him really. Moving back up to be nearer his family, pretty much no commuting involved at all, Durham is a nice area, the Pools are in the Football League and he'll probably be earning more than he would have done here.

Normally, I don't think anybody would do anything but wish him well, but the comments on the radio last week left a bit of a nasty taste for me as it seems to me he was trying to publicly manipulate the club to try and get more money elsewhere.

Don't care about what he does now as, unlike some former players, we'll not be playing against him next season.

Just hope that Hurst can sort us out a replacement as capable as Robertson has been on our left.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, June 2, 2015, 7:55am; Reply: 340
Having visited the place, Hartlepool is a poor North Eastern man's Cleethorpes!
Posted by: Maringer, June 2, 2015, 7:59am; Reply: 341
I bet our dog shite on the streets around the ground is better.  ;)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 2, 2015, 9:57am; Reply: 342
Can't blame the bloke for wanting to work 15 minutes from home and at a higher level. There have been several times in my working life when I've wished the same thing!

Well he's gone now and Hurst needs to find a replacement. I think what we will miss the most is Magnay's ability to play LB when needed. It was always an easy fix for a game or two. We have players who can slot in at RB but LB is always more tricky. For that reason I wouldn't be surprised if we see a utility defender arriving.
Posted by: livosnose, June 2, 2015, 11:12am; Reply: 343
it makes you ask the question was he living in Leeds when he played for Gateshead or was he living with his family ?????
Posted by: highcliff mariner, June 2, 2015, 11:34am; Reply: 344
Quoted from livosnose
it makes you ask the question was he living in Leeds when he played for Gateshead or was he living with his family ?????

Who cares ? Surprised to see this thread in the promo spots still 😉
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 2, 2015, 11:40am; Reply: 345
Quoted from Maringer
It's a no-brainer for him really. Moving back up to be nearer his family, pretty much no commuting involved at all, Durham is a nice area, the Pools are in the Football League and he'll probably be earning more than he would have done here.

Normally, I don't think anybody would do anything but wish him well, but the comments on the radio last week left a bit of a nasty taste for me as it seems to me he was trying to publicly manipulate the club to try and get more money elsewhere.

Don't care about what he does now as, unlike some former players, we'll not be playing against him next season.

Just hope that Hurst can sort us out a replacement as capable as Robertson has been on our left.

We'll get them in the First Round of the FA Cup next season.  :)
Posted by: Rick12, June 2, 2015, 11:47am; Reply: 346
Sad to see him go and thought he would of stayed
Posted by: Grimal, June 2, 2015, 1:43pm; Reply: 347
I liked Magnay and yes he was a good player in an excellent Town defence but he's gone and he's now history, After last weeks fiasco with the media I would imagine PH knew he would be gone and has already earmarked his replacement. There will be other defenders out there that will be more than happy to join Town.   UTM.
Posted by: barralad, June 2, 2015, 3:12pm; Reply: 348
Quoted from Teestogreen

I seem to remember something about them being taken over last season. At Christmas they were nailed on relegation favourites yet survived. Perhaps the financial clout of their backers showed through and they will be a force to be reckoned with next season. Magnay is a very good signing for them...
Posted by: Rik e B, June 2, 2015, 4:41pm; Reply: 349
All the best to him but to let the head rule the heart... always follow your heart! He says will be a well wisher following results, well not in a nasty way I hope him and LJL feel a sense of regret watching from afar the epic scenes as Operation Promotion unfolds and knowing they could have been a part of going down in the folklore of this famous old football club.

But like I say, all the best.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, June 2, 2015, 5:01pm; Reply: 350
Its the badge on the front that's important not the name on the back, hate when these players kiss the badge, clearly means nothing to them really.
Only James and Shaun have shown any loyalty to our club in recent years.

Be interesting to see who has the best average home attendance us or Hartlepool.

Posted by: mariner91, June 2, 2015, 5:06pm; Reply: 351
Quoted from The Yard Dog
Its the badge on the front that's important not the name on the back, hate when these players kiss the badge, clearly means nothing to them really.
Only James and Shaun have shown any loyalty to our club in recent years.

Be interesting to see who has the best average home attendance us or Hartlepool.

Attendances for us and Hartlepool are nearly identical. Disley has been here a long time!
Posted by: Teestogreen, June 2, 2015, 5:11pm; Reply: 352
Quoted from barralad

I seem to remember something about them being taken over last season. At Christmas they were nailed on relegation favourites yet survived. Perhaps the financial clout of their backers showed through and they will be a force to be reckoned with next season. Magnay is a very good signing for them...

Agree with that.
I suppose that the circumstances in which Carl was signed last August (was it Harrogate Town on the pitch?) and then didn't seem to live any nearer than Leeds allegedly, was probably a pointer to where his heart was.
But, having said that, to put in the sort of season that he did with the Mariners is a credit to him - all the best to Carl.
I have 2 colleagues, who are Hartlepool supporters, and they think they have just got out of jail, considering the 'Poolies' dire league position last Christmas.

Posted by: The Yard Dog, June 2, 2015, 5:51pm; Reply: 353
Quoted from mariner91

Attendances for us and Hartlepool are nearly identical. Disley has been here a long time!

How could I forget Disley, busy skipping between the thefishy and Crowdfunder
Posted by: rancido, June 2, 2015, 7:55pm; Reply: 354
He's obviously made what he thinks is the best decision for his family and his future. Nobody should slate him for that as we all would have done that in the same circumstances. He certainly will be missed but is not irreplaceable. The aspect of his game that is hard to replace is his versatility. Any player who can play both left and right back is of great benefit to any team whatever level and that is the bit that could prove difficult to replace. Good luck for the future Maggers and thanx for a good season.
Posted by: chaos33, June 2, 2015, 8:10pm; Reply: 355
Quoted from rancido
He's obviously made what he thinks is the best decision for his family and his future. Nobody should slate him for that as we all would have done that in the same circumstances. He certainly will be missed but is not irreplaceable. The aspect of his game that is hard to replace is his versatility. Any player who can play both left and right back is of great benefit to any team whatever level and that is the bit that could prove difficult to replace. Good luck for the future Maggers and thanx for a good season.

I agree with that. I think he has other qualities which we need to try to re-establish (won't be easy) - composure, concentration and massive enthusiasm. As you say; not irreplaceable but will be a hard act to follow. A great pro in my opinion.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 2, 2015, 8:40pm; Reply: 356
[quote=3898]

I agree with that. I think he has other qualities which we need to try to re-establish (won't be easy) - composure, concentration and massive enthusiasm. As you say; not irreplaceable but will be a hard act to follow. [b][A great pro in my opinion.[b]quote]

A great pro would not have negotiated through Radio Dull. But what is done is done.
Posted by: chaos33, June 2, 2015, 9:26pm; Reply: 357
Well that's your view, it's not fact. I don't see it that way. I think he was just giving an honest insight. He wasn't interested in signing for Town in the end, so if his plan was to negotiate, he didn't pull it off.
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 2:07am