Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: OllieGTFC, July 1, 2015, 1:02pm
Don't really know much about him really hopefully he does the job
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 1, 2015, 1:05pm; Reply: 1
From a Morecambe forum:

Some signing if use get him surprised he left us to be honest. Bags of pace, strong an holds the ball up well and will guarantee you 20 a season, see use in league 2 next season if use secure his services.

Hopefully his judgement of footballers is better than his spelling. Sounds promising!
Posted by: RoboCod, July 1, 2015, 1:09pm; Reply: 2
Is that 20 goal guarantee in writing??

Sounds exciting, looking forward to getting these friendlies under way and taking a look at these guys.

Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 1, 2015, 1:10pm; Reply: 3
They seemed to be generally disappointed when he was released:

http://giraffe.arvixe.com/~iomkeith/shrimpsvoices/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20006&p=219317&hilit=amond#p219317

Guess you have to ask why he didn't start more regularly but sounds like he has a bit about him.
Posted by: psgmariner, July 1, 2015, 1:16pm; Reply: 4
http://www.theconferenceforum.co.uk/thread/44096
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 1, 2015, 1:29pm; Reply: 5
His stats don't look too bad

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=55195

And here's a bit more of an insight in to his background

http://www.thescoops.ie/multi-talented-sport-stars-padraig-amond/

Welcome on board Padraig!  :)
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 1, 2015, 1:32pm; Reply: 6
Wow PH really does find some gems, this Padge sounds like a real classic striker who knows where the net is and as pace.

WELCOME ABOARD PADGE another cracking addition.
                                                                                  UTM.
Posted by: grimps, July 1, 2015, 1:33pm; Reply: 7
They say he can take a penalty too so that's Pitman off the hook :)
Also says he's a poacher and not very tall so it's the type of striker Hurst likes to leave on the bench and never play :/
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, July 1, 2015, 1:40pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from grimps
Also says he's a poacher and not very tall so it's the type of striker Hurst likes to leave on the bench and never play :/

Yeah, like Liam Hearn.... Oh wait.

Posted by: diehardmariner, July 1, 2015, 1:57pm; Reply: 9
Video of his goals on YouTube looks impressive, yeah it's only a video.  I know!

Scores a good mix of goals, fair few with his head.  Movement looks excellent and I like how he appears to drop deep often to get involved in the build up play.  Relatively quick and strong.

On paper/video, looks an excellent addition.
Posted by: devon mariner, July 1, 2015, 2:13pm; Reply: 10
A large welcome to Padraig.  Squad coming together nicely.  Maybe just 1 more striker needed, but wouldn't be surprised if this is the end of transfer dealings as at least 2 midfielders (Arnold and Monkhouse) could be played up front if needed
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 1, 2015, 2:14pm; Reply: 11
He could fit in well with a slightly adapted Omar Bogle (Tender) chant when they play together.

Podge and Bogle.
Podge and Bogle,
Amond, Omarrrr etc etc
Posted by: OllieGTFC, July 1, 2015, 2:18pm; Reply: 12
http://youtu.be/qv5xsKe0OGI
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 1, 2015, 2:19pm; Reply: 13
Just read the write up about his early days the guy is a natural athelete very impresive CV .
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 1, 2015, 2:20pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from grimps

5ft 11in  is not small unless you are 6ft 5 in. :)
Posted by: UTMariners, July 1, 2015, 2:21pm; Reply: 15
http://giraffe.arvixe.com/~iomkeith/shrimpsvoices/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20130

Promising comments from Morcambe fans..
Posted by: MarinersOnTheUp, July 1, 2015, 2:31pm; Reply: 16
Really happy with this signing. From what I can remember,  if the lads as good as last time I saw him play for Shamrock Rovers (going back a few years now so I'd think he'll be a better plaplay now) then we've got ourselves a real good player.  A front two of Padraig and Omar is potentially one of the  best we've had in years.  Not that im old enough to have been around when we had anything really good!  

Well done PH.  

Also,  im just as excited to hear peoples pronunciations of his name! 😂    
Posted by: GrimRob, July 1, 2015, 2:33pm; Reply: 17
His name is an anagram of Prima Dona Gad
Posted by: Rick12, July 1, 2015, 2:37pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
His stats don't look too bad

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=55195

And here's a bit more of an insight in to his background

http://www.thescoops.ie/multi-talented-sport-stars-padraig-amond/

Welcome on board Padraig!  :)
Thats what I thought when I checked out his stats on wikipedia.Certainly has showed some promise if a Portuguese premiership  side signed him up when young
Posted by: horsforthmariner, July 1, 2015, 2:56pm; Reply: 19
Suspect this will be it unless someone comes on trial that's a bit different/special.

Very happy with Hurst's dealings - feel like we've got a better squad than last time and we could well do it this season.
Posted by: oldun, July 1, 2015, 2:57pm; Reply: 20
Takes a good penalty and stays on side when timing his runs. Ross Hannah x 2
Posted by: TonyCrane, July 1, 2015, 3:34pm; Reply: 21
New song suggestion, I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

"Padraig Amond, we've seen your birds mammaries"
Posted by: TonyCrane, July 1, 2015, 3:35pm; Reply: 22
Well that didn't go to plan.
Posted by: mariner91, July 1, 2015, 3:41pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from TonyCrane
New song suggestion, I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

"Padraig Amond, we've seen your birds mammaries"

Have we?
Posted by: psgmariner, July 1, 2015, 3:55pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from mariner91

Have we?

She is a glamour model apparently. My mate told me or something....
Posted by: mariner91, July 1, 2015, 3:59pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from psgmariner

She is a glamour model apparently. My mate told me or something....

What did your mate say her name was? A mate of mine wants to know...
Posted by: psgmariner, July 1, 2015, 4:00pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from mariner91

I think he said he had gone on google images, removed the safe search filter and then typed CLARE TULLY and hit return or something or other.
Posted by: LH, July 1, 2015, 4:01pm; Reply: 27
My mate said she isn't his mrs any more.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 1, 2015, 4:02pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from GrimRob

Prima Gonad Ad
Posted by: chicaneuk, July 1, 2015, 4:06pm; Reply: 29
Sounds like another very decent signing. Welcome to the club Padraig!
Posted by: jock dock tower, July 1, 2015, 4:44pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from ginnywings

Prima Gonad Ad

or Gonad Pram Aid, the ultimate accessory for those tender moments when the nether regions are swollen and in need of support....... :'(

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 1, 2015, 4:52pm; Reply: 31
I hope us fans raise enough money to pay all these new players!   >:(
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 1, 2015, 5:40pm; Reply: 32
I wonder if he'll get lodgings in Harrington Street.  ;)
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, July 1, 2015, 5:41pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from GrimRob

A Prima Gonad?
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, July 1, 2015, 5:42pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from mariner91

Priceless :-)
Posted by: RoboCod, July 1, 2015, 5:46pm; Reply: 35
I do like the fact that the fans at the old club of these new players we're getting seem to be in various states pf gutted to see them go. We were excited over Baz Conlan despite the alarm bells ringing, and I even remember a countdown to Menno Willems signing....God things have improved recently :o
Posted by: KK_DOG, July 1, 2015, 6:20pm; Reply: 36
I needed to look this up, hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a64AeeKf43Y
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 1, 2015, 6:53pm; Reply: 37
LATEST NEWS,

Paul Hurst thanks all the fans that have donated any money to the fund,

He say, " I have spent all that now, can I have some more please ? "

I think he is enjoying this spending spree, or signing spree.

I know I am. :)
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 1, 2015, 7:02pm; Reply: 38
Watched all the videos, he's irish, he's quick, he knows where the goal is........

He's the lower league Shane Long AND he even looks like him!!

think he's left footed too
Posted by: AdamHaddock, July 1, 2015, 7:30pm; Reply: 39
With this signing we'll make amonds for not going up last year
Posted by: ginnywings, July 1, 2015, 7:44pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Stew0_0
Watched all the videos, he's irish, he's quick, he knows where the goal is........

He's the lower league Shane Long AND he even looks like him!!

think he's left footed too

Takes pens with his right. Looks two footed which is a bonus in a striker.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 1, 2015, 8:04pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from jock dock tower

or Gonad Pram Aid, the ultimate accessory for those tender moments when the nether regions are swollen and in need of support....... :'(

Perfect for when you've had the snip then ;)
Posted by: topuphere666, July 1, 2015, 9:29pm; Reply: 42
I'm a little bit excited. Girly wee time haha
Posted by: Brisbane Mariner, July 1, 2015, 9:34pm; Reply: 43
Another bit of good business PH, I must say I can't wait for the season to start got a feeling we will be stronger than last term. Lots of recent league experience brought in. This town knows !!!! UTM
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 1, 2015, 10:22pm; Reply: 44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csJ09QKEZo0
Hattrick in Irish Premier League

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv5xsKe0OGI
Compilation of goals

Amond has also played in Europe vs a Real Madrid side that include Ronaldo, Pepe, Marcelo and Gutierrez. Good experience for him.
Posted by: Laddy89, July 1, 2015, 11:34pm; Reply: 45
Top player. Him and bogle! Best strike force in the league
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, July 1, 2015, 11:40pm; Reply: 46
Did anyone catch his interview on Humberside tonight?
Posted by: Laddy89, July 2, 2015, 10:43am; Reply: 47
Ive watched it mariner player. Seems like a very good guy
Posted by: cmackenzie4, July 2, 2015, 10:57am; Reply: 48
Some great goals in that YouTube clip, he looks really good and will get us goals.

Roll on August!
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, July 2, 2015, 11:18am; Reply: 49
Great to hear Toto's influence in that interview. He really sold the club well to Padraig by the sounds of it and very much has his sights on winning the league. Shouldn't be a surprise I suppose but it's still very nice to hear. It also shows how much Toto must rate him. Throw in a very impressive highlights reel and I'm absolutely delighted with the signing.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 2, 2015, 11:37am; Reply: 50
I really like the look of this lad he has scored at FL level and Bogle who is aiming to come up a level will have to go some to match him I reckon.

I hope its not automatically Bogle's name on the team sheet because of all the over-hyped publicity surrounding his signing and goals record for Solihull - hopefully Amond will get a run in the side and he won't be like Hannah and bench warming all season - he looks a bit too good for that

Five good signings make it Town's strongest squad for years but it really is sh!t or bust this season, no excuses for Hurst, promotion or out you go. Coming second in what was a pretty poor play off final in which both sides could have played all night without scoring a second goal was really nowt to celebrate and won't be good enough next May
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 2, 2015, 11:38am; Reply: 51
The bond seems to be getting tighter between players, fans and the club
Posted by: DickBarton, July 2, 2015, 1:01pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Ipswin
I really like the look of this lad he has scored at FL level and Bogle who is aiming to come up a level will have to go some to match him I reckon.

I hope its not automatically Bogle's name on the team sheet because of all the over-hyped publicity surrounding his signing and goals record for Solihull - hopefully Amond will get a run in the side and he won't be like Hannah and bench warming all season - he looks a bit too good for that

Five good signings make it Town's strongest squad for years but it really is sh!t or bust this season, no excuses for Hurst, promotion or out you go. Coming second in what was a pretty poor play off final in which both sides could have played all night without scoring a second goal was really nowt to celebrate and won't be good enough next May

Paul Hurst and John Fenty are fantastic.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 2, 2015, 1:10pm; Reply: 53
^
;D
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 2, 2015, 2:19pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from DickBarton

Paul Hurst and John Fenty are fantastic.

Thanks John, nice to see you back on here.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, July 2, 2015, 2:34pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Stew0_0
Amond has also played in Europe vs a Real Madrid side that include Ronaldo, Pepe, Marcelo and Gutierrez. Good experience for him.
Played against Hulk, Falcao and James Rodríguez of FC Porto - around £146 million quid of transfer value talent there in total.  Provides the assist for the 3rd goal equaliser in the final game.

Not the best video quality, but you can see, click link to watch >> [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A78tkzoEhYQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A78tkzoEhYQ[/url]

[youtube]A78tkzoEhYQ[/youtube]
Posted by: OllieGTFC, July 2, 2015, 2:35pm; Reply: 56
Ipswin, why get rid of hurst if he doesn't get promotion ?? We need stability and we have finally found that in hurst and this squad
Posted by: 97 (Guest), July 2, 2015, 2:45pm; Reply: 57
Players are far more likely to sign for a club where the manager has been there for a few years. Stability is a rare commodity these days. No-one wants to move to a new job where the manager is sacked every 15 months. I do think this has been a factor in why this season's transfer activity has been so successful.
Posted by: brad_gtfc, July 2, 2015, 3:46pm; Reply: 58
After all the praise the players have given Hurst this summer we'd be mad to sack Hurst, unless we didn't make the play-offs at all.
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 2, 2015, 4:12pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Ipswin, why get rid of hurst if he doesn't get promotion ?? We need stability and we have finally found that in hurst and this squad

Considering how many on here keep banging on about how good our squad is for the coming season, if he fails to get us up this season will he ever be able to do it.

It's no good being stable but still floundering in this league, I would think this is promotion or bust for PH.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 2, 2015, 5:28pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from OllieGTFC

We need to stabilise our position in non-league football you mean? I thought we had done that in the last 5 years FFS

Are you content to bumble along in the Conference or do you want more than that - I know which I and most others prefer

Posted by: Ipswin, July 2, 2015, 5:29pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from brad_gtfc
After all the praise the players have given Hurst this summer we'd be mad to sack Hurst, unless we didn't make the play-offs at all.

Will you be happy with the play offs (yet again) then?

Posted by: Laddy89, July 2, 2015, 5:32pm; Reply: 62
I don't think we need to be discussing sackings when the season has not even started
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 2, 2015, 5:37pm; Reply: 63
Last season was the first in which many fans believed PH could deliver promotion. He's clearly astute in the transfer market but will ultimately be judged by results. I don't think the club can survive in its' current state at this level for much longer so it is a sh!t or bust season for PH for me.
Posted by: rancido, July 2, 2015, 5:46pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from arryarryarry

Considering how many on here keep banging on about how good our squad is for the coming season, if he fails to get us up this season will he ever be able to do it.

It's no good being stable but still floundering in this league, I would think this is promotion or bust for PH.

Of course it's promotion or bust for PH this season but I would hardly call being in the play-offs three seasons in a row culminating in a play-off final as " floundering ".
Posted by: friskneymariner, July 2, 2015, 5:53pm; Reply: 65
Last season P.H. was a whisker away from promotion,I have not always been his biggest fan,but getting out of this league is no easy task.Given the team he has assembled this year I think we are much better placed than last season.
However we need to be competitive from match one and develop the mental attitude of winners.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 2, 2015, 6:24pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from friskneymariner
Last season P.H. was a whisker away from promotion.

To quote an old, old saying that is still true - a miss is as good as a mile. ;)

Posted by: friskneymariner, July 2, 2015, 6:30pm; Reply: 67

To quote an old, old saying that is still true - a miss is as good as a mile. ;)

Some miss' are wider than a mile some are narrower than a mile I would say our miss was much smaller than say some random team,just for argument Lincoln.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, July 2, 2015, 6:45pm; Reply: 68

I actually think the last month shows how misleading that saying can be.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 2, 2015, 6:48pm; Reply: 69

Some miss' are wider than a mile some are narrower than a mile I would say our miss was much smaller than say some random team,just for argument Lincoln.

But does going closer than Lincoln satisfy you? Is that really the extent of our ambitions?

Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, July 2, 2015, 6:55pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Ipswin

But does going closer than Lincoln satisfy you? Is that really the extent of our ambitions?

I suspect he would like us to get promoted, like literally every other Town fan.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 2, 2015, 6:58pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

I suspect he would like us to get promoted, like literally every other Town fan.

I'm sure you are right but many seem to regard last season as a success just because we made it to the play off final - it wasn't - we lost and we are still out of the Football League - anything short of that is failure and a miss really is 'as good as a mile'

With the squad we have assembled for next season it appears it is probably our best chance (and possibly last chance) to get out of this league - it is all (sh!t or bust) on next season - players are either on just a one year or will come to the end of a two year contract next May and I don't see many wanting to re-sign if we have missed out again.

If this squad fails then Hurst too must go - if he can't do it with this set of players he is never gonna do it
Posted by: StaffsMariner, July 2, 2015, 7:06pm; Reply: 72
Ok. Hands up who turned this great new signing thread in to this drivel. some opinions should be kept to yourselves rather than adding ....but i hope im wrong or similar to the end it.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, July 2, 2015, 7:10pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Ipswin

I'm sure you are right but many seem to regard last season as a success just because we made it to the play off final - it wasn't - we lost and we are still out of the Football League - anything short of that is failure and a miss really is 'as good as a mile'

But you can't look at it all in such black and white terms. Well you can if you like but it requires overlooking all the things that make supporting a football team worthwhile.

Yes, we still in the same division we'd have been in if we'd finished 15th. But would there be this overwhelming sense of optimism most of us are feeling? We've got players turning down better deals elsewhere to have another crack at the title. The whole operation promotion phenomenon has been incredible. This just wouldn't be happening if we'd finished mid table.

Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 2, 2015, 7:13pm; Reply: 74
I think most people regarded last season as progress because we came closer to achieving what we all want. If we progress more this season we'll go up if we don't there will be a discussion to be had. Why anybody wants to have that discussion at the moment I have not a clue.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 2, 2015, 7:14pm; Reply: 75

But you can't look at it all in such black and white terms. Well you can if you like but it requires overlooking all the things that make supporting a football team worthwhile.

Yes, we still in the same division we'd have been in if we'd finished 15th. But would there be this overwhelming sense of optimism most of us are feeling? We've got players turning down better deals elsewhere to have another crack at the title. The whole operation promotion phenomenon has been incredible. This just wouldn't be happening if we'd finished mid table.

I agree of course but now they have to deliver, players and fans are not going to ride on this sense of optimism (brought about by losing a play off final)  for very long especially if the best squad for years misses out again

Posted by: friskneymariner, July 2, 2015, 7:32pm; Reply: 76
The thing is we may have lost the play off final,but we were not outplayed or beaten by a better team,we were  beaten in the lottery of a penalty shoot out.
Posted by: pontoonlew, July 2, 2015, 7:46pm; Reply: 77
I'm sure when push came to shove most people would say this is Hurst's last shot at it.

But why on earth is this getting mentioned in July for gods sake? I've never been his biggest advocate and I still have niggling doubts but he is seemingly learning from mistakes that he's made in the past. So just let it go until you actually see the side out on the pitch for a few months at least.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 2, 2015, 7:59pm; Reply: 78

I actually think the last month shows how misleading that saying can be.

Not really. The massive support we fans have shown in the last month may well be partly because Town were the better side at Wemberlee but the end result of a miss in terms of the division we are in is the same as if we were crap and lost 6-0. Unless I'm mistaken, in August we are still in the Conference aren't we? That's the yardstick of success, nearly is not nearly good enough now.

Posted by: acko338, July 2, 2015, 8:11pm; Reply: 79
Anyway we appear to have another forward who isn't scared to take a shot and seems quick thinking around tight penalty area situations, so let's give him some support on his news thread.

New forwards, new challenge, good times ahead, we hope !!!!
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 2, 2015, 10:27pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from rancido

Of course it's promotion or bust for PH this season but I would hardly call being in the play-offs three seasons in a row culminating in a play-off final as " floundering ".

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter how you describe it we are still here going into our 6th season, where we finished in the past is of no consequence now in relation to where we are.
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 2, 2015, 10:29pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from StaffsMariner
Ok. Hands up who turned this great new signing thread in to this drivel. some opinions should be kept to yourselves rather than adding ....but i hope im wrong or similar to the end it.

It's called discussions of opinions on a forum, keep logging in you might get the hang of it.
Posted by: friskneymariner, July 2, 2015, 10:38pm; Reply: 82
If anybody still remains pessimistic after the signings we have made,I give in.However i can never be accused of belonging to the rose tinted spectacle brigade and believe we have the right team in place.P.H has got to develop a less cautious approach especially at home and meaningless possession never won matches. .
Posted by: 137 (Guest), July 3, 2015, 12:16am; Reply: 83
The thing is we may have lost the play off final,but we were not outplayed or beaten by a better team,we were  beaten in the lottery of a penalty shoot out.

Yes, but...we were 7 points off automatic promotion, and lost 7 home games throughout the season. The only side who outplayed us at BP were Lincoln ( I hate to say). A lot of the squandered home points were due IMO to Hurst's overly defensive approach. Remains to be seen how he handles the current squad this season. My solution to visiting sides "parking the bus" would be to send Toto forward to win headers, and tell Bogle/Arnold/Pittman/whoever to stay in his general vicinity! Not rocket science admittedly - but LJL didn't win a header all match when we played Southport at home the season before (with Toto marking him).

I can see the case for signing a big target man for away matches, but the advantage BP gives us is that we can play a proper passing game on it...and start forwards who want the ball to feet (Bogle/Arnold/Pittman fit the bill). That should be Plan A. Toto up front is Plan B.
Plan C could be bring on Marshall and/or Mackreth for the last 20 minutes and hope their pace will deliver us something.

PH has done well, but only promotion is good enough. Now the squad looks good enough - one classy midfielder is all we need, I think - so PH has to show he can manage them to success. I believe he will, but I'm wrong about football matters at least as often as I'm right.

Posted by: ginnywings, July 3, 2015, 12:29am; Reply: 84
Toto up front? Heard it all now.

Why not just have a player up front to win headers who is say......................a target man striker for instance?
Posted by: 137 (Guest), July 3, 2015, 12:44am; Reply: 85
Quoted from ginnywings
Toto up front? Heard it all now.

Why not just have a player up front to win headers who is say......................a target man striker for instance?

Because then we play too much 'hoof-it' all match. Good target men who can finish are a rarity in our league. Sides 'parking the bus' give us a surplus defender. We have one we can use to win headers in the opposition box. So I'd do that.

Your solution to sides parking the bus at BB?

Posted by: LH, July 3, 2015, 1:09am; Reply: 86
Play three proper strikers? Why put a square peg in a round hole?
Posted by: 137 (Guest), July 3, 2015, 1:36am; Reply: 87
I'm not suggesting playing Toto as a striker....but moving him forward (for 10-15 minutes) to see if his strength in the air can be used in the opposition box to get us a goal against sides with a massed defence. That's all.
Posted by: cjbill, July 3, 2015, 5:39am; Reply: 88
Quoted from 137
I'm not suggesting playing Toto as a striker....but moving him forward (for 10-15 minutes) to see if his strength in the air can be used in the opposition box to get us a goal against sides with a massed defence. That's all.

Pearson has often taken that roll in the last few minutes of the match when we are fighting to get a late goal
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, July 3, 2015, 6:12am; Reply: 89
Quoted from arryarryarry

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter how you describe it we are still here going into our 6th season, where we finished in the past is of no consequence now in relation to where we are.

Apart from that time seven years ago when we finished in the relegation zone of course :-(
Posted by: LondonMariner43, July 3, 2015, 6:27am; Reply: 90
If we aren't top and 10 points clear at Christmas then Hurst out and Magnay must be appointed as manager.  He loves the Town and he is a tactical genius.
Posted by: Maringer, July 3, 2015, 6:55am; Reply: 91
Quoted from 137

Yes, but...we were 7 points off automatic promotion, and lost 7 home games throughout the season. The only side who outplayed us at BP were Lincoln ( I hate to say).

Southport outplayed us as well, as did Torquay, Kidderminster and Bristol Rovers. The fact that we may have played poorly in a few of those games is neither here nor there - we were outplayed.

The idea of slinging Toto up front is bizarre. This is a player who has scored just 1 goal throughout his whole career. To tell the truth, I wouldn't even send him up for corners as he is so little threat from them. Better to have him covering with his pace for the occasions when the opposition clear the ball and attempt to break.

It will be interesting to see if we now have the players to mix the formations up a bit more. 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1) is good as a basis for your season but it doesn't always work out and the ability to change to 4-3-3 or even 3-5-2 would be very useful.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, July 3, 2015, 7:06am; Reply: 92
Playoffs three years in a row for a division that has one automatic spot.. Some people are wishing for spectacles all the time, yes it would be good to go and smash it and win the league. What if we got rid of Hurst and then had a manager who didn't match up to Hurst? People would be calling for his head left right and centre. Give the bloke a break, the best manager we've had in a LONG time.
Posted by: gb, July 3, 2015, 7:23am; Reply: 93
Hurst out boo!!!! Not even won a game this season yet. He's useless. No quality signings brought in and the buzz around our football club is the lowest I can remember it. No one is buying season tickets and that crowd fund raiser has no legs as no one is willing to put any money in!

I rarely post on here but always have a read and my god some of you are the miserable people ever. Back your team and the manager and players (at least until they've kicked a ball in anger) :-/ :-/
Posted by: Garth, July 3, 2015, 8:16am; Reply: 94
Toto up front like Mike Lyons you mean, yeh that would work Mr tactician
Posted by: Tommy, July 3, 2015, 8:30am; Reply: 95
Hurst's made it clear he still wants to sign a physical striker to be another option. He will be the one to send on for 20 minutes as a plan b (if he hasn't started), not Nsiala up top.
Posted by: 935 (Guest), July 3, 2015, 8:53am; Reply: 96
Quoted from Garth

I remember Livvo playing centre back a few times, pretty interchangeable strong centre forwards and centre backs.. Ditto warhurst and Ian Henderson , perhaps we re onto something here...
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 3, 2015, 9:14am; Reply: 97
Quoted from gb
Hurst out boo!!!! Not even won a game this season yet. He's useless. No quality signings brought in and the buzz around our football club is the lowest I can remember it. No one is buying season tickets and that crowd fund raiser has no legs as no one is willing to put any money in!

I rarely post on here but always have a read and my god some of you are the miserable people ever. Back your team and the manager and players (at least until they've kicked a ball in anger) :-/ :-/

Who has actually said they want Hurst out, some of us have commented that if we don't go up this season then it may well be his last here, but that will be decided by the Board and they did have some discussions early last season when we had our poor start.

Posted by: arryarryarry, July 3, 2015, 9:16am; Reply: 98
Quoted from GtfcGarner
Playoffs three years in a row for a division that has one automatic spot.. Some people are wishing for spectacles all the time, yes it would be good to go and smash it and win the league. What if we got rid of Hurst and then had a manager who didn't match up to Hurst? People would be calling for his head left right and centre. Give the bloke a break, the best manager we've had in a LONG time.

Thanks but I already have mine, I did go to Specsavers.
Posted by: Garth, July 3, 2015, 9:38am; Reply: 99
Quoted from arryarryarry

Thanks but I already have mine, I did go to Specsavers.

Really I got two pairs for one from http://t.co/B5Aq4E1VFEthem both were crap, in the end cheaps expensive
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 3, 2015, 9:42am; Reply: 100
Quoted from Garth

I remember Alan Buckley throwing Mark Lever on upfront at Maidstone (well they played in Dartford at the time) when we were 2-1 down and we got a late equaliser.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 3, 2015, 10:11am; Reply: 101
Quoted from 137

Because then we play too much 'hoof-it' all match. Good target men who can finish are a rarity in our league. Sides 'parking the bus' give us a surplus defender. We have one we can use to win headers in the opposition box. So I'd do that.

Your solution to sides parking the bus at BB?

Sign better players, especially strikers. Seems Hurst has had the same idea, so time will tell.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 3, 2015, 10:16am; Reply: 102
Quoted from Les Brechin

I remember Alan Buckley throwing Mark Lever on upfront at Maidstone (well they played in Dartford at the time) when we were 2-1 down and we got a late equaliser.

It's not that unusual is it Les? Remember Jack Charlton was often given a trot up front and there have been a few cases of centre halves becoming centre forward very successfully. John Charles for one. But that was a year or two ago. ;)

Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 3, 2015, 10:19am; Reply: 103
Of all the criticisms of Paul Hurst that have been made, the suggestion that he isn't tactically astute enough to stick Toto up front and lump it might just be the most ludicrous.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 3, 2015, 10:25am; Reply: 104
New signing today am led to believe :o :o :o
Posted by: ginnywings, July 3, 2015, 10:29am; Reply: 105
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
New signing today am led to believe :o :o :o

Someone texted me we maybe signing someone today. The word 'maybe' stopped me from mentioning.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 3, 2015, 10:32am; Reply: 106
I would rather we played the ball up the field than lump it up to a target man,

BUT

For the odd occasion when we are under the hammer away from home and we need that outlet,

Any body remember Jackie Charlton going up for England, ?

Before the days of subs, Jackie got injured and could only hobble about,

So rather than leave England with 10 men with over 30 mins to play,

He played up front and scored twice,

So if he can could do it with his limited football skills,

I am sure Toto could do it in an emergency,

I would rather we played the ball up the field though,. we are good enough
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 3, 2015, 10:32am; Reply: 107
Maybe and led to believe. Very similar Ginny
Posted by: 97 (Guest), July 3, 2015, 10:40am; Reply: 108
Garry Birtles played a few games for Town as a centre half. He was (inevitably) very good too. I think when we signed him from Notts County he'd been playing there for a couple of seasons.

I will always love Garry Birtles
Posted by: LH, July 3, 2015, 10:42am; Reply: 109
Why the worried face Woz? It's not Akpro is it?! ??)
Posted by: Ipswin, July 3, 2015, 10:47am; Reply: 110
Personally I hope Hurst doesn't sign a big 'target' man.

Lumping the ball up to someone like LJL or Palmer doesn't work and I am afraid Amond will spent all season on the bench (as might JPP) if he does as he will no doubt couple the big lump whoever he is with Bogle.

I fully expect Bogle to be the first name on the team sheet every week given all the over hyped stuff surrounding his signing even if he isn't scoring ('give him time' or 'he will come good' - I can already hear it!)

Bogle and Amond playing it on the deck could just work very well - forget the hoofball
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 3, 2015, 10:52am; Reply: 111
I see somebody has just bought his signed shirt,

Now just  shy of £63,000 , great going guys.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 3, 2015, 10:56am; Reply: 112
Quoted from Ipswin
Personally I hope Hurst doesn't sign a big 'target' man.

Lumping the ball up to someone like LJL or Palmer doesn't work and I am afraid Amond will spent all season on the bench (as might JPP) if he does as he will no doubt couple the big lump whoever he is with Bogle.

I fully expect Bogle to be the first name on the team sheet every week given all the over hyped stuff surrounding his signing even if he isn't scoring ('give him time' or 'he will come good' - I can already hear it!)

Bogle and Amond playing it on the deck could just work very well - forget the hoofball

Would love us to play 'on the deck' but can't see it myself. Football at this level is fairly agricultural and a pretty level playing field, with the better sides having just that bit more footballing edge. I thought Barnet were an awful side but they found the right formula. Bristol weren't exactly Barcelona either.

I'll be happy if we maintain our great away record and score those few extra goals that will give us the extra points we were missing last season.

If we can up our conversion rate on last season, we will be there or thereabouts and i think we have the strikers to do that now.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, July 7, 2015, 8:16pm; Reply: 113
According to this, League of Ireland Premier Division champions Dundalk and NIFL Premiership runners-up Linfield were the clubs chasing him.
So he turned down the chance of UEFA Cup football to join us >> [url=http://www.punditarena.com/irish-football/league-of-ireland/nnewberry/dundalk-target-ex-sligo-striker-padraig-amond/]Link[/url]

Spent a few nights doing a revamp of his Wiki page, still need to verify his Shamrock and Kildare appearances / goals, but it's accurate after that.
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pádraig_Amond]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pádraig_Amond[/url]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/UyBcjLN.png[/img][img]http://i.imgur.com/MxjKIO1.png[/img]
Posted by: Alfie, July 7, 2015, 9:27pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
According to this, League of Ireland Premier Division champions Dundalk and NIFL Premiership runners-up Linfield were the clubs chasing him.
So he turned down the chance of UEFA Cup football to join us >> [url=http://www.punditarena.com/irish-football/league-of-ireland/nnewberry/dundalk-target-ex-sligo-striker-padraig-amond/]Link[/url]

Spent a few nights doing a revamp of his Wiki page, still need to verify his Shamrock and Kildare appearances / goals, but it's accurate after that apart from a goal missing for Sligo Rovers I'll find sooner or later.

Are you single by any chance?
Posted by: WetFlannel, July 7, 2015, 11:35pm; Reply: 115
How on Earth can some people not understand how the games changed since Jack Charlton played for England?
Posted by: IrishMariner, July 7, 2015, 11:50pm; Reply: 116
Article Amond wrote this week in our local paper The Nationalist

Grimsby's ambitions make it the right choice

"After what felt like a long summer's break I was happy to get back into pre-season training last Wednesday morning with my new club Grimsby Town. It was great to finally get my future sorted just in time for the start of pre-season and not to be going into a club a week behind the other player's fitness. I was delighted to sign for Grimsby town and I am really excited about the coming season with them and I feel it can be an extremely successful season for both the club and me too.
   Grimsby Town are a massive club and they are a Football League club in all but name. The club have great facilities and have a following that wouldn't look out of place in League One. So far everyone at the club has been very good to me and there is a real buzz in the area about the club and the players we have signed already.
I had a number of options during the summer in a few different countries but I think that joining Grimsby could be something special.
  The club were a kick of a ball away from being promoted to the Football League last season (they got beat in the play-off final on penalties by Bristol Rovers) and have been beaten in the playoffs for the past three seasons. There was a couple of things that really sold me on the idea of going to Grimsby. One was how much the management team wanted to sign me there. Another was how keen the manager Paul Hurst and assistant Chris Doig were. They were calling me at every possible chance they had to sign. They were both on holidays and calling me to convince me to sign and it probably would have been done earlier if it wasn't for the holidays getting in the way. The other thing was the style of play the manager has. He is a manager that wants to get the ball down and pass it out from the back too. You want to play for managers like that as they will always create chances and as a striker we thrive on things like that. I spoke to a couple of friends who used to play for Grimsby and they said to me sign there it's a great club which was very reassuring.
    When you join a new club your first day is always a very nervous day as you are the newbie and the chances are that you know nobody except from playing against them.
  Thankfully,I knew a couple of the players is who I used to play with at Accrington Stanley and Morecambe and that made it a lot easier for me. All the other lads were very welcoming to me and over the course of the first week I have got to know them fairly well and so far I love it. The first week was very tough with double sessions everyday but it's a great way to get a squad bonding and pushing each other through everything and we know that that will be key for us if we are to have a successful season.
  The quality of players we have is very good and I'm very impressed with a few players in particular. We have a couple of pre-season friendlies coming up this week which everyone is looking forward to. On Wednesday,we play a local team called Cleethorpes and then on Saturday I will get my first home game when we take on Derby County in what is going to be a massive test for us.
  Results aren't everything in pre-season as it is all about getting match fitness but it would be a nice boost if we were to get a positive result against Derby.
The fixtures for the season came out on Friday so we all know how hard we have to work in pre-season to be on the team sheet for the first day of the season. I have a feeling that this could be a really big season for me and the club. I had chances to sign for a couple of teams in League Two but none of them had the same ambitions as Grimsby Town and the manager Paul Hurst had so I hope that my decision will be proved right come the end of the season in May."
Posted by: Tommy, July 8, 2015, 12:16am; Reply: 117
Thanks for sharing that IrishMariner. Wouldn't have otherwise seen that I don't think, and it's s good read.

The bit about Hurst and Doing pestering him and calling him perusing him to sign is reminiscent of Slade harassing Reddy until he signed for us in 2004.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 8, 2015, 12:58am; Reply: 118
Cheers IM, a good and very encouraging read.
Posted by: chaos33, July 8, 2015, 4:51am; Reply: 119
Quoted from ginnywings

Would love us to play 'on the deck' but can't see it myself. Football at this level is fairly agricultural and a pretty level playing field, with the better sides having just that bit more footballing edge. I thought Barnet were an awful side but they found the right formula. Bristol weren't exactly Barcelona either.

I'll be happy if we maintain our great away record and score those few extra goals that will give us the extra points we were missing last season.

If we can up our conversion rate on last season, we will be there or thereabouts and i think we have the strikers to do that now.

I agree mate
Posted by: devon mariner, July 8, 2015, 10:13am; Reply: 120
Thanks for that Irish Mariner.  It made a good read.  really good to hear that Hurst and Doig really went after their man.  He sounds right up for the battle.  Not a bad scoring ratio either.  can't wait for the season to start now
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, July 16, 2015, 7:57pm; Reply: 121
Quoted from IrishMariner
Article Amond wrote this week in our local paper The Nationalist

Grimsby's ambitions make it the right choice

"After what felt like a long summer's break I was happy to get back into pre-season training last Wednesday morning with my new club Grimsby Town....
The Carlow Nationalist newspaper have now posted the article on their website today >> [url=http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/2015/07/16/padraig-amond-grimsbys-ambitions-make-it-the-right-choice/]http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/2015/07/16/padraig-amond-grimsbys-ambitions-make-it-the-right-choice/[/url]
Posted by: IrishMariner, July 16, 2015, 8:41pm; Reply: 122
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
The Carlow Nationalist newspaper have now posted the article on their website today >> [url=http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/2015/07/16/padraig-amond-grimsbys-ambitions-make-it-the-right-choice/]http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/2015/07/16/padraig-amond-grimsbys-ambitions-make-it-the-right-choice/[/url]

This would have save some typing for sure!  ;D I'll post links from now on if people would be interested?
Posted by: chaos33, July 16, 2015, 9:07pm; Reply: 123
At the risk of repetition, I'm really excited about Amond playing for us this season. I thought he was good anyway, but seeing him this week has cemented my opinion that he is a really good footballer. I think he posesses a great many of the attributes you'd want in a striker. I'm confiident he'll be amongst the top scorers in the division, with plenty of assists too. What I like about him most is that he's quick in thought and deed - his instinctive movement is really impressive and he also has an eye for a team mate in a good or better position. I really hope we keep him clear of injury, because I think he'll be a real threat for us this coming season. If Bogle fulfils his promise we are gonna score some goals!
Posted by: Abdul19, July 16, 2015, 9:59pm; Reply: 124
Yeah I agree. That's why he reminds me of Connell a bit - a footballer.

Hopefully Bogle is better than Charles Ademeno ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, July 16, 2015, 10:22pm; Reply: 125
Quoted from Abdul19
Yeah I agree. That's why he reminds me of Connell a bit - a footballer.

Hopefully Bogle is better than Charles Ademeno ;)

I'm better than Charles Ademeno.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 17, 2015, 8:51pm; Reply: 126
I am thinking of doing a jonnyboy with a difference,

If Bogle and Amond do not score 20 each this season,

I will run,  no walk ,  no hobble round Blundell Park in the nude,

BUT

I expect a big reward if they do manage 20 goals each,

Any offers ?
Posted by: bluebottle, July 17, 2015, 11:56pm; Reply: 127
What have you been drinking Pete?. 😁🍺🍻
Posted by: ginnywings, July 18, 2015, 8:05am; Reply: 128
Quoted from grimsby pete
I am thinking of doing a jonnyboy with a difference,

If Bogle and Amond do not score 20 each this season,

I will run,  no walk ,  no hobble round Blundell Park in the nude,

BUT

I expect a big reward if they do manage 20 goals each,

Any offers ?

Johnnyboy has a pack of unused sausages you could have.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 18, 2015, 11:17am; Reply: 129
Quoted from bluebottle
What have you been drinking Pete?. 😁🍺🍻

Yes,

You can not hold me to an offer made under the influence . ;D
Print page generated: May 5, 2024, 12:47pm