Posted by: Belfast Town, July 12, 2015, 4:20pm
This case comes to court tomorrow.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FSF_FairCop/status/620179427620728832

Posted by: codcheeky, July 12, 2015, 4:24pm; Reply: 1
where is it being heard?
Posted by: Belfast Town, July 12, 2015, 4:27pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from codcheeky
where is it being heard?

Hendon Magistrates Court, according to this.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Inflate-gate-Assault-charge-GTFC-fan-accused/story-26070811-detail/story.html
Posted by: ginnywings, July 12, 2015, 4:38pm; Reply: 3
FFS. What a complete and utter waste of time and money.
Posted by: BIGChris, July 12, 2015, 4:57pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from ginnywings
FFS. What a complete and utter waste of time and money.

As was the previous case brought against a Town fan for shouting 'get up you puff'. Charged with homeaphobic chanting!!!
Posted by: Marinerz93, July 12, 2015, 5:00pm; Reply: 5
Have you ever been hit so hard by an inflatable that you can remember being hit but not remember feeling the pain.  

That's right, we all know that pressurised air can cause all sorts of problems from hurricanes to tornadoes. The fact that this inflatable fish has air blown into it makes it just as dangerous.  That sound of bong bing bong you hear as you are hit is the result of compressed air making tiny brain cells explode in your head, that's why you can't remember the pain.

It's wonder this steward didn't die because of his injuries, I'm just glad this didn't happen at a football ground at least 1 atmosphere above sea level, his head could have exploded.

Kidding aside, this sad pathetic loser needs to man up and stop being such a pissy pants.
Posted by: moosey_club, July 12, 2015, 5:14pm; Reply: 6
i would sincerely hope that the judge laughs this out of court and tells whoever has brought it this far to stop wasting time and money.
Posted by: codcheeky, July 12, 2015, 5:16pm; Reply: 7
Don`t know what his solicitor has advised but hope he pleads not guilty the whole thing is a farce
Posted by: BIGChris, July 12, 2015, 5:17pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from codcheeky
Don`t know what his solicitor has advised but hope he pleads not guilty the whole thing is a farce

I hope Kenny has got the FSF to represent him?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 12, 2015, 5:23pm; Reply: 9
I hope he turns up in court with the Harry as Exhibit A to demonstrate how deadly his bite is. ;)
Posted by: poomehellt, July 12, 2015, 5:26pm; Reply: 10
If it was being heard here I'd go and watch.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 12, 2015, 5:37pm; Reply: 11
What a complete bag of self abuse!
Posted by: Abdul19, July 12, 2015, 6:07pm; Reply: 12
You'd have to be an incredibly cuntish individual to even think about doing this. Is he not embarrassed? Do other stewards/his missus/blokes down the pub not rip the piss out of him?

An inflatable. Assault.

Jesus.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 12, 2015, 6:14pm; Reply: 13
Maybe the steward is the brother of the thug at FGR. Same sort of knob headed behaviour.

If one of my girls came in and said another kid had hit them with a blow up shark I wouldn't give them any sympathy.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 12, 2015, 6:15pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from BIGChris

As was the previous case brought against a Town fan for shouting 'get up you puff'. Charged with homeaphobic chanting!!!

Ha ha! There but for the grace of God....!
Posted by: Tinymariner, July 12, 2015, 6:21pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from BIGChris

However, this is implying that homosexuals are not as tough as heterosexuals, ergo homophobic. As was the chanting toward Darren Bent, by the morons in the Ponny yesterday. Don't get me wrong, I too feel that the PC brigade go too far but we must stop calling people puff, queer, homosexual or whatever in a derogatory manner as it is 2015 and not 1915.
Posted by: RoboCod, July 12, 2015, 6:24pm; Reply: 16
Best thing to do would be to start up a crowd funder for a small childs first aid kit for the 'victim', £10 max.

Publicise it on the back of Operation Promotion and shame this idiot in the national press.

Would be funny if it wasn't such a serious issue, even worse you wouldn't guarantee a sensible outcome in this day and age.

Posted by: BIGChris, July 12, 2015, 6:29pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Tinymariner

However, this is implying that homosexuals are not as tough as heterosexuals, ergo homophobic. As was the chanting toward Darren Bent, by the morons in the Ponny yesterday. Don't get me wrong, I too feel that the PC brigade go too far but we must stop calling people puff, queer, homosexual or whatever in a derogatory manner as it is 2015 and not 1915.

But using a throw away line, said in the heat of the moment shouldn't result in anyone having their lives turned upside down, threatened with a banning order and face losing your job neither

Glad that the court saw it in a similar way and threw it out but not before many weeks of trauma
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, July 12, 2015, 6:37pm; Reply: 18
Ridiculous the whole thing
Posted by: barralad, July 12, 2015, 10:51pm; Reply: 19
It's a pity court cases cannot be filmed. The witness statement from the "injured" steward would go viral....
Posted by: KK_DOG, July 13, 2015, 12:19am; Reply: 20
It's embarrassing. Will be surprised if he gets convicted.
Posted by: marketrasenmariners, July 13, 2015, 12:51am; Reply: 21
The fact is the guy involved in the homophobic case mentioned above pleaded not guilty because he made no homophobic remark.The steward made the whole thing up simply because he thought it may aid his application to reobtain his doormans license which he had lost in the past, for which he wouldn't disclose the reason why .The judge threw it out of court and made his opinion clear what he thought of the steward involved. The whole case caused months of distress to the guy involved and even though he was found not guilty and awarded costs the money he received back didn't cover the costs of hiring a decent lawyer. The guy involved detests any homophobic or racial abuse, whether it be either at football matches or in the wider community.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 13, 2015, 9:20am; Reply: 22
Thank god it wasn't a squeaky hammer. He'd have hearing damage as well
Posted by: Cayman_mariner, July 13, 2015, 9:48am; Reply: 23
And to think they used to broadcast live assault on Childrens TV - 'Mallets Mallet' would have been banned if that steward had had his way :)
Posted by: RoboCod, July 13, 2015, 10:05am; Reply: 24
Quoted from Cayman_mariner
And to think they used to broadcast live assault on Childrens TV - 'Mallets Mallet' would have been banned if that steward had had his way :)

Good point actually. Those kids were hit intentionally and with some force, all in fun. So this case could have some strange outcomes:

Footage of Timmy Mallet 'assaulting' children shown to the jury.
Impact and trauma experts called in for their views.
Inflatable mallets/fish ect presented in court and demonstrated in evidence.
A backlog of compensation cases going right back to the 80's from the children caught up in these violent acts should the accused be found guilty.

Fookin' ridiculous, m'lud.

Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 13, 2015, 10:18am; Reply: 25
Ha Ha Timmy Mallet was mental with that hammer much worse than that steward getting battered with a fish lol pun intended.
Posted by: Grimal, July 13, 2015, 4:08pm; Reply: 26
Where does all this finish, If Kenny is found guilty of assault will the steward be advised by his lawyer to take this further and file for ABH . He will perhaps claim compensation for his terrible injuries he sustained in that ferocious attack with a mortal weapon.The law has gone crazy.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 13, 2015, 4:21pm; Reply: 27
I fully hope the steward is charged with bringing humanity into disrepute.  

What an utter farce.
Posted by: Mariner16, July 13, 2015, 4:55pm; Reply: 28
Found guilty of assault but no banning order given.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, July 13, 2015, 4:58pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Mariner16
Found guilty of assault but no banning order given.

absolutely unbelievable, that poor fella has to have a criminal record because of that!!!
Posted by: LH, July 13, 2015, 4:59pm; Reply: 30
Still has to live with a conviction for assault though. It was a bag of air ffs.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 13, 2015, 5:02pm; Reply: 31
Jesus Christ!

The world is broken.
Posted by: WetFlannel, July 13, 2015, 5:03pm; Reply: 32
And some people laugh when we say stewards/police treatment of football fans is despicable
Posted by: Hagrid, July 13, 2015, 5:26pm; Reply: 33
Our justice system is an absolute flipping farce. Assault by inflatable shark. Steward and Judge should be ashamed
Posted by: codcheeky, July 13, 2015, 5:46pm; Reply: 34
absolute disgrace
Posted by: lukeo, July 13, 2015, 6:08pm; Reply: 35
WOW. Just wow.
Posted by: ska face, July 13, 2015, 6:12pm; Reply: 36
That's the Met Police for you - guilty of murder on an almost industrial scale, human rights abuses, rape by their officers, fraud, blackmail, entirely complicit in the rape, torture and murder of countless children in various paedophile rings and countless other crimes.

Of course, they're too busy prosecuting people for nudging people with inflatable fish to get their house in order...
Posted by: BIGChris, July 13, 2015, 6:23pm; Reply: 37
I was brought up to respect the law and tried to do the same with my own children but whilst I don't know all the details of the alleged assault  it was an inflatable shark for christs sake! He was hit in effect by a balloon!!

It really does question my respect for the law especially when so many other crimes go unpunished.

I would warn every football fan to avoid Barnet. Altrincham fans were detained after a quantity of white powder was found in the bar. 50/60/70 year olds detained. Turned out the decorators had been sanding down and not cleaned up!
Posted by: RichMariner, July 13, 2015, 6:31pm; Reply: 38
The Magna Carta was created in 1215 to protect people of the land from illegal imprisonment and grant them access to a fair trial.

It wasn't invented to bring 'swift justice' to someone who bopped another person (with an astonishingly low pain threshold) on the head with a novelty shaped balloon.

King John of England would be turning in his grave if he knew how that charter was being applied 800 years on from its creation.

Frankly I'm embarrassed by this story - as should our police force and entire judicial system.
Posted by: GiveUsAG, July 13, 2015, 6:39pm; Reply: 39
I hope this steward is named, shamed and given stick at every game he attends. I hope he is humiliated publicly for his own stupidity and so too that judge.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 13, 2015, 6:45pm; Reply: 40
On look north in a minute.

Feckin hell 700 note fine plus a criminal record the  footage was funny they blocked out several inflatables lol

Seriously it's a bloody joke where does this leave "Harry?"
Posted by: Mariner16, July 13, 2015, 6:50pm; Reply: 41
Wow just watching that..the steward aint a kid..try 59
Posted by: ginnywings, July 13, 2015, 6:54pm; Reply: 42
If he was too old to withstand the impact of a balloon, then he might want to reconsider his choice of weekend job. Laughable if it wasn't so serious.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 13, 2015, 7:08pm; Reply: 43
How much compo did the steward milk I wonder?
Posted by: LH, July 13, 2015, 7:11pm; Reply: 44
Harry Haddock will be the first fish to receive a banning order. The world's most dangerous fish.
Posted by: mariner83, July 13, 2015, 7:24pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from GiveUsAG
I hope this steward is named, shamed and given stick at every game he attends. I hope he is humiliated publicly for his own stupidity and so too that judge.

Cgagi Gladyng
[url=http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/off-the-pitch/grimsby-town/news/grimsby-fan-guilty-of-shark-assault_233321.html]http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/off-the-pitch/grimsby-town/news/grimsby-fan-guilty-of-shark-assault_233321.html[/url]
Posted by: ginnywings, July 13, 2015, 8:16pm; Reply: 46
Meanwhile, somewhere in our great capital, one of the great and good is probably laid atop his bed, getting serviced by his Filipino maid, having spent a hard day avoiding paying his taxes. Don't you just love our judicial system.
Posted by: EY Mariner, July 13, 2015, 8:28pm; Reply: 47
While I would normally try not to comment on cases where I haven't seen or heard the evidence, there are several issues in this case that, from reading various social media accounts, deserve to be discussed.

According to the @FSF_Faircop Twitter account, which was tweeting from the case today, the bench deemed the evidence of the steward himself and a police officer more credible than that of "fans". It's not clear whether that just relates to Mr Meech himself (I don't know him personally) or any others that were called to give evidence on his behalf. But, if it simply relates to Mr Meech, that finding doesn't particularly surprise me, mainly as he has previously been reported in the media as saying he has no memory of the incident. In my job, I've spent enough time in courtrooms over the years to know that if a defendant can't remember an alleged incident, he or she is going to have a very hard time convincing magistrates of their innocence.

What concerns me more, however, is an earlier tweet from the same account which said the bench had ruled that CCTV evidence could not be shown. It's not clear which side was seeking to rely on it (though I presume it was the defence), but I'm concerned that key evidence which may have led to a different outcome has not been presented. Whatever the truth, I just hope that Mr Meech has been and is being properly advised and the FSF are supporting him as much as they possibly can.

Having been at the game, I find this whole case particularly difficult to accept because my overwhelming impression was of how sensibly the stewards fulfilled their duties. Following the testimony of this individual, in which he is reported to have said he was only working at his second match on that day, I think there have to be questions for his employers, be that Barnet FC or any third party, about how they handled their staff. Given what was being planned and the numbers expected to travel were known some days in advance of the match, it was surely unwise for such an inexperienced steward to be placed on duty in that section of the ground. I doubt that will ever be properly addressed, though. I just feel very sad that what was a great day for our club has been soured in such an unnecessary and costly manner.
Posted by: Quagmire, July 13, 2015, 8:43pm; Reply: 48
And yet this ....

[img]https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/ad_159318762-e1423583614738.jpg[/img]

isn't deemed as assault and was swept under the carpet .....

Posted by: vuvuzela_hater, July 13, 2015, 9:12pm; Reply: 49
Cgagi Gladyng...  Is that his actual name? Or the sound he made when he was being clouted by the inflatable selachimorpha? Being serious for a minute though,  we don't want lower league football to become diluted like the rest of football has become in the elite side of the game.  If you had the old millwall brigade (not glorifying the morons in any way) going there like we did, there would be a mile long queue down at Saul Goodman's place on a Monday morning.  You don't become a fireman and sue the fire brigade when you burn your hands on the station cooker.  If you don't like it then clock off and intercourse off top score scrabble man. Utm
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 13, 2015, 9:30pm; Reply: 50
PAIN AND FEAR!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/BBCLookNorth/videos/vb.118450564909230/877668505654095/?type=2&theater
Posted by: Green27, July 13, 2015, 9:33pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from RichMariner
The Magna Carta was created in 1215 to protect people of the land from illegal imprisonment and grant them access to a fair trial.

It wasn't invented to bring 'swift justice' to someone who bopped another person (with an astonishingly low pain threshold) on the head with a novelty shaped balloon.

King John of England would be turning in his grave if he knew how that charter was being applied 800 years on from its creation.

Frankly I'm embarrassed by this story - as should our police force and entire judicial system.

Agree with the sentiment but the pedantic history student in me wants to down vote the Magna Carta crap.
Posted by: Belfast Town, July 13, 2015, 9:38pm; Reply: 52
Currently the seventh most read story on the BBC News website!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-33509197
Posted by: ClarkyGTFC, July 13, 2015, 9:39pm; Reply: 53
To be fair the shark looked like the large bullet from super Mario he probably hadn't had his mushroom
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 13, 2015, 10:00pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Quagmire
And yet this ....

[img]https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/ad_159318762-e1423583614738.jpg[/img]

isn't deemed as assault and was swept under the carpet .....

Good call!!

BTW I loved it when Kenny said on the interview he was "deflated".......Top Man!  

Posted by: Hagrid, July 13, 2015, 10:04pm; Reply: 55
Its now on the daily mirror. my dinosaur also makes a cheeky appearance
Posted by: poomehellt, July 13, 2015, 10:12pm; Reply: 56
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/grimsby-town-fan-spared-jail-6061005

The Mirror reports that a copper told the court he saw the steward being struck with the inflatable toy with the defendant shouting: 'You can f***ing have it as well!" Which might make it a bit more serious than just a few taps with an inflatable, but then I don't know the full case.
Posted by: bax, July 13, 2015, 10:15pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from poomehellt

The Mirror reports that a copper told the court he saw the steward being struck with the inflatable toy with the defendant shouting: 'You can f***ing have it as well!"

We'd just scored...how did the copper hear that over the sound of 1,000 supporters celebrating???
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 13, 2015, 10:21pm; Reply: 58
The world has gone mad.

Tosspot stewards can throttle a bloke and get away with it, yet tap one on the head with a blow up toy....What next, being charged with entering a football ground with intent to enjoy yourself? 'king ludicrous.

Especially as Ska says, this case was brought by an organisation with the Met's record. The paedo protecting Met Police. The only people capable of challenging South Yorks Police for helping child abusers go free and bashing miners.

Meanwhile the self-confessed lying criminals that brought you the Hillsborough Disaster walk free.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, July 13, 2015, 10:33pm; Reply: 59
The whole thing is a farce, but couldn't it just have been dealt with out of court?  There is no way you are going to win in a Magistrate's court in London against the word of a Met Copper, especially if you're a football supporter from the North of England.  The only saving grace was that Mr Meech wasn't black, or he'd have been tazed or shot for his troubles.

The guy has shelled out £870 in fines, plus time off work, travel to London and probably had to pay a lawyer (unless he was no-win, no-fee).  I'd be amazed if he'd got away with change from £1500.  The "victim" only got £100 of it.  Couldn't he just have made a profuse apology, written to the steward and offered to buy the guy off for £1400?

The whole episode is moronic from all sides.  A truly British farce from start to finish.
Posted by: EY Mariner, July 13, 2015, 10:49pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from bax

We'd just scored...how did the copper hear that over the sound of 1,000 supporters celebrating???

I think we'd all like to know the answer to that question and, having just looked at the highlights of that game again, the officers who you do see move in before it cuts away to the attack for the third goal don't appear to be ladies, so that evidence seems rather questionable to me.

From the video, you can see an inflatable (hard to tell exactly what from the distance and angle at which it is filmed, but presumably a shark) being "wielded" for want of a better word in the seconds after Disley scores. But from that position, I'm not sure how the person on the other end of it could realistically have known what or who they were making contact with, if anything. That just adds to my concern about this verdict.
Posted by: GiveUsAG, July 13, 2015, 10:58pm; Reply: 61
I've had a couple or so fans ask if there's a collection towards helping the guy pay the fine?
Posted by: Teestogreen, July 13, 2015, 11:12pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from EY Mariner

I think we'd all like to know the answer to that question and, having just looked at the highlights of that game again, the officers who you do see move in before it cuts away to the attack for the third goal don't appear to be ladies, so that evidence seems rather questionable to me.

From the video, you can see an inflatable (hard to tell exactly what from the distance and angle at which it is filmed, but presumably a shark) being "wielded" for want of a better word in the seconds after Disley scores. But from that position, I'm not sure how the person on the other end of it could realistically have known what or who they were making contact with, if anything. That just adds to my concern about this verdict.

http://www.courtroomadvice.co.uk/magistrate-court-appeals.html

If there is doubt about this prosecution - notice of appeal must be made within 21 days.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 13, 2015, 11:24pm; Reply: 63
I know things are getting busy on the old electronic whip round front, with Op Promo and Phil/Larry, but I'd be more than happy to chuck some money in if someone could set something up.

This could easily happen to any one of us.
Posted by: codcheeky, July 13, 2015, 11:28pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from GiveUsAG
I've had a couple or so fans ask if there's a collection towards helping the guy pay the fine?

be more than happy to chip in with a few quid for this mockery of justice
Posted by: jaymariner, July 13, 2015, 11:31pm; Reply: 65
Set up a crowdfunder? I bet a fair few people would chuck a couple of quid in to cover the cost of this total shambles
Posted by: GiveUsAG, July 13, 2015, 11:41pm; Reply: 66
There's a growing interest in a collection, I've had a few more ask.

Could anyone set one up? I'm sure we could raise £800 pretty easily.
Posted by: codcheeky, July 13, 2015, 11:55pm; Reply: 67
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/13/man-arrested-charging-iphone-london-overground-train

Law enforcement here in the capital is getting embarrassing
Posted by: EY Mariner, July 14, 2015, 12:15am; Reply: 68
Not to mention this obscenity that the IPCC refused to do anything about.

[url]http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/apr/04/newspaper-challenges-metropolitan-police-harassment-warning-croydon-advertiser[/url]
Posted by: Abdul19, July 14, 2015, 12:33am; Reply: 69
Quoted from poomehellt

The Mirror reports that a copper told the court he saw the steward being struck with the inflatable toy with the defendant shouting: 'You can f***ing have it as well!" Which might make it a bit more serious than just a few taps with an inflatable, but then I don't know the full case.

Spared jail?! Jesus fucking Christ, who writes this shit?!

I can only speak for myself, but I've never celebrated a Town goal by hurling abuse at a steward. And as bax said, how would any abuse be audible. What a load of shite.

And yeah, I'd be more than willing to chuck a couple of quid in.
Posted by: Grimal, July 14, 2015, 12:39am; Reply: 70
Victim: Cgagi Gladyng at Willesden Magistrates' Court

Looking at the state of this steward Cgagi Gladyng in the mirror report ,It's a good job he wasn't hit with a feather, that surely would have knocked him out ,the bloody weed, wants to man up and change his weekend job, perhaps he could be a baby bouncer in mothercare.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 14, 2015, 6:04am; Reply: 71
Hit the Australian and New Zealand (And Gibraltar) press over night. This is going global !

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Non+League/Vanarama+Conference/Grimsby+Town
Posted by: Meza, July 14, 2015, 7:13am; Reply: 72
My concern about this, is that he is being punished for being a football fan rather than the actual offence.  I don't think Judges have much time for football fans.

Poor chap.  I can't even believe it went to court the prosecuter must have really laid it on thick.
Posted by: RoboCod, July 14, 2015, 7:22am; Reply: 73
Quoted from codcheeky

There was also the story running yesterday about the young student who gave a homeless man a quid in Liverpool, the police arrested him on other drug-related  grounds. Unluckily for this particular bunch of corrupted officers this lad was a law student who questioned the validity of the arrest while clicking his phone to audio record. He recorded;
‘I haven’t committed disorder. I’ve been polite. I’ve been respectful.’
Mr Wilson alleged the police officer then said: ‘That’s not how I’ll write it up, pal.’

The arrested guy was detained unlawfully and now has £5,000 from an OUT OF COURT settlement!
The useless officer? Warned not to use 'those words' again :B

Worrying times.

Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 14, 2015, 8:09am; Reply: 74
Stupid as it is I think we could turn this round to our advantage and sell the rest of the Harry's lol
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 14, 2015, 8:11am; Reply: 75
This story is now no 1 on the BBC News website.

I agree that if he had not been a football fan from the northern outpost of distant Grimsby, and part of a large "tribe", he would not have been charged or found guilty.  
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 14, 2015, 8:22am; Reply: 76
Yep set it up I went to matches in the 70's and 80's during the skinhead era more likely to get your head kicked in than hit on the head with a plastic toy shark. Pity it wasn't that giant knob could have been called a proper knobhead lol. That would have got a few chuckles in court. M'lud I now produce the assailant's weapon  exhibit 1.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 14, 2015, 8:28am; Reply: 77
With the amount of worldwide coverage the story is now getting I'd hope for this blokes sake some decent defence team will get involved to appeal this ridiculous decision .
Posted by: mariner91, July 14, 2015, 8:33am; Reply: 78
"Sharn Mardner, prosecuting, said the attack was the result of Meech's pent-up tension and aggression spilling out at the end of his team's impressive away win." What a load of shite that is.

As for the copper claiming she could hear what he was shouting. Generally, I find I can't hear what someone next to me is saying during a goal celebration let alone being able to hear word for word what a particular member of a large crowd is shouting whilst waving an inflatable shark.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, July 14, 2015, 8:58am; Reply: 79
Surely someone will take this up and get the conviction quashed. It,s absolutely ridiculous.
I'll put some money in if required, no problem.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 14, 2015, 9:01am; Reply: 80
Will Harry now be deemed an offensive weapon and have to have a health and safety warning printed on him?  :)

Will The Trust be prosecuted for supplying offensive weapons to the public?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 14, 2015, 9:09am; Reply: 81
I thought that it was routine (and frequent) away for Town against the league champions.  Where is the tension and agrression in that?  

I hope that he can sell his story and any background details for a few £K.  Wasn't his daughter there with him?  This implies a mature family dad, not some young hoolie, who is a loyal fan.  

How about a family photo in Town colours for the national press?  
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 14, 2015, 9:10am; Reply: 82
All stick together Les they can't arrest 1000 of us for having offensive weapons inflatable fish my harry will be going all round the grounds this season. Gonna be a interesting season me thinks.
Posted by: GrimRob, July 14, 2015, 10:07am; Reply: 83
Will go "tooled up" to Barnet next year with my most dangerous inflatable.
Posted by: jaymariner, July 14, 2015, 10:16am; Reply: 84
Quoted from GrimRob

Inflatable hammer?
Posted by: ska face, July 14, 2015, 10:23am; Reply: 85
Quoted from GrimRob

Yer missus?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 14, 2015, 10:44am; Reply: 86
I think that a large "inflatable shark" gives the wrong image and connotation to a Court. A shark does have a very aggressive and killer reputation. The magistrate may have been chased by one whilst on holiday.

We need something more placcid.  My daughters have grown up but I do remember "Pretty Kitty" toys.  

Imagine in court:  "The accused allegedly assaulted the steward with a very delicate, ladylike small "Pretty Kitty inflatable cat".

Case dismissed!  

Maybe a haddock is fine.  It does not generally swim around biting people's legs off.  
Posted by: thevera, July 14, 2015, 10:53am; Reply: 87
Where's Swanny from the Ponny when we need him?
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 14, 2015, 10:54am; Reply: 88
Thank feck Barnets not here this season FGR it is then what is it with us and inflatables lol
Posted by: gaz57, July 14, 2015, 11:06am; Reply: 89
Quoted from GrimRob

Hammer head shark?
Posted by: GiveUsAG, July 14, 2015, 11:14am; Reply: 90
[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/2whpnba.png[/IMG]
Posted by: GrimRob, July 14, 2015, 11:33am; Reply: 91
#Inflatablegate
Posted by: RichMariner, July 14, 2015, 11:36am; Reply: 92
What I've learnt so far:

Hitting someone with an inflatable shark: unacceptable

Putting someone in a headlock: acceptable
Posted by: Abdul19, July 14, 2015, 11:51am; Reply: 93
Quoted from Meza
My concern about this, is that he is being punished for being a football fan rather than the actual offence.  I don't think Judges have much time for football fans.

Yeah exactly. If someone from a hen do bopped you over the head with an inflatable nob in Wetherspoons, the police would just tell you to go away (and rightly so)
Posted by: RoboCod, July 14, 2015, 12:07pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from Abdul19

Yeah exactly. If someone from a hen do bopped you over the head with an inflatable nob in Wetherspoons, the police would just tell you to go away (and rightly so)

Or an inflatable strawberry at Wimbledon. Sue Barker would LOL, the police would stand around smiling, Cliff Richard break out into a song about it and it would all be seen as a lovely quaint old English humour thing.

Posted by: Ipswin, July 14, 2015, 12:09pm; Reply: 95
FFS what is that weedy tw@t doing even taking a job as a steward and who on earth decided not only to employ him but to put him on duty for only the second time at a high profile match like Barnet v Town?

He looks as if a strong puff of wind would blow him over and WTF is the £100 compo award all about? That has to be the most ridiculous part of it all. Compo for what FFS?  Fish slime on his baseball hat perhaps or is he now claiming to be so terrified of sharks that he daren't go to his local swimming pool ? Actually it doesn't look like he's seen water (or soap) for some time IMO.

Bet the skinny little sod is claiming benefits as well as stewarding
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 14, 2015, 12:34pm; Reply: 96
You would think a football steward should have a basic level of fitness, that guy looks so thin and frail he would struggle to guard shiit.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 14, 2015, 12:38pm; Reply: 97
For oldies, what about Emu ( with "Rod") repeated physical assaults on Michael Parkinson on his Sat night show?  That went on for ages.  Parrky was rightly annoyed and embarrassed.  No one charged of course.

The £100 compensation was not for any financial loss. None incurred.   Maybe for the indignity of a southerner  allegedly being hit by a northerner?  Our sharks are very ferocious.  
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 14, 2015, 12:42pm; Reply: 98
Announcement today:

"UK Inflation rate falls to 0%".

Is this to do with our Inflationgate case coming to a sorry end?  
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 14, 2015, 12:44pm; Reply: 99
That steward has made himself look utterly ridiculous, something that he will never live down, for £100.

As hilarious as that is, the poor accused (I use that term rather than guilty) party has now got a criminal record.
Posted by: ska face, July 14, 2015, 1:11pm; Reply: 100
I can almost forgive the divvy steward for having a fit and cacking his pants during the incident - if you're not expecting people to celebrate and are unaware of what the celebrations might be like on that situation, I'm sure it would have been somewhat of a surprise to be stuck in the middle of it. Not sure about his "out of body experience" like, but there's more meat on a flipping gnat's member so I'm sure he thought he was at some risk of injury. It's a shame he wasn't actually bludgeoned to death, in my opinion.

What I can't forgive is the police officer concocting a story purely to get one over on Mr Meech and, in my view, take a swipe at football fans in general. What was the quote she attributed to him again - "you can flipping have it as well"? Really? She was close enough to hear him say that as he unleashed a devastating physical attack on poor Mr Gladyng but didn't bother doing anything? I was in that crowd and I could barely hear myself shout, let alone what someone twenty yards away was saying.

That officer should be absolutely ashamed of herself. I have absolutely no doubt that she committed perjury yesterday, nothing out of the ordinary for the dibble - true, and it really does show what football fans are up against when a prosecutor can get someone convicted of assault having seen the evidence for just 20 MINUTES.

ACAB.
Posted by: Teds Lad, July 14, 2015, 2:21pm; Reply: 101
Surely there must be a commercially minded Solicitor out there who could pick this case up with all of it's publicity, both locally and nationally, run with the injustice of the decision and hopefully have the Judge's decision overturned on Appeal. This action would have huge benefits for the Solicitor (whose local standing would benefit greatly  -  what GTFC Fan would use any other Solicitor?), his National standing from the publicity and GTFC in general when the true facts are aired in an Appeal. Sadly as an Accountant I cannot help but would love to have the qualifications and skill to take this case on.  Is there anyone out there?
Posted by: mariner83, July 14, 2015, 2:34pm; Reply: 102
Not sure if this has already been posted?

[url=http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/grimsby-town-fan-convicted-for-assaulting-steward-with-inflatable-shark]http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/grimsby-town-fan-convicted-for-assaulting-steward-with-inflatable-shark[/url]
Posted by: Abdul19, July 14, 2015, 2:50pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from ska face

What I can't forgive is the police officer concocting a story purely to get one over on Mr Meech and, in my view, take a swipe at football fans in general. What was the quote she attributed to him again - "you can flipping have it as well"? Really? She was close enough to hear him say that as he unleashed a devastating physical attack on poor Mr Gladyng but didn't bother doing anything? I was in that crowd and I could barely hear myself shout, let alone what someone twenty yards away was saying.

I wonder if that question was raised in court? And if not, why not?

Or is it just a case of, 'she's the police, therefore it's fact'.  :-/
Posted by: Teds Lad, July 14, 2015, 2:55pm; Reply: 104
My apologies, I hadn't seen the article for which you kindly supplied the link.
Posted by: Quagmire, July 14, 2015, 3:39pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from mariner83
Not sure if this has already been posted?

[url=http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/grimsby-town-fan-convicted-for-assaulting-steward-with-inflatable-shark]http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/grimsby-town-fan-convicted-for-assaulting-steward-with-inflatable-shark[/url]

Linked in that article is another case mentioned .... Another GTFC fan arrested at .... Barnet
Posted by: mariner83, July 14, 2015, 3:47pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from Quagmire

Linked in that article is another case mentioned .... Another GTFC fan arrested at .... Barnet

I read that one as well, I wasn't aware of it until I read that article. It's ridiculous.

As is this one (non football)...
[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3159582/Rail-passenger-furious-arrested-stealing-electricity-plug-point-train-charge-phone.html]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3159582/Rail-passenger-furious-arrested-stealing-electricity-plug-point-train-charge-phone.html[/url]
Posted by: somersetmariner, July 14, 2015, 4:07pm; Reply: 107
May I understand something, was this the 'victims' second experience at a football match in England?
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 14, 2015, 4:12pm; Reply: 108
Guess what today is?

Co-incidence or what?  ;D

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/shark-awareness-day/
Posted by: RichMariner, July 14, 2015, 4:15pm; Reply: 109
Bopping someone on the head with an inflatable shark. Charging your phone on a train.

These minor indiscretions are being punished with an inappropriate level of force. You can tell the Tories are in power.

Does anyone remember that episode of Father Ted where someone's whistle got stolen and the whole island overreacted?

That was exaggerated for comic effect. Sadly this is real life.
Posted by: GiveUsAG, July 14, 2015, 6:23pm; Reply: 110
[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/o7n6ma.png[/IMG]

An idiotic Nimby having his say.
Posted by: GrimRob, July 14, 2015, 11:04pm; Reply: 111
It's a waste of time and money the police even being there in the first place. Town are never going to cause any problem at Barnet so they have to "find" crimes to justify their overtime.

The week we played Barnet three London schoolgirls went missing and and went to Syria to join ISIS. Obviously the police were too busy to intrecept them.
Posted by: Marinerz93, July 14, 2015, 11:34pm; Reply: 112
The overwhelming thoughts of the majority of people are against this case and similar petty charges that should never have been brought before the courts.

3 jumped up Magistrates which, I am guessing have no real legal background, have made a complete mockery of justice.

Had this gone to Crown, it would have been kicked out straight away.  You see the jury are made up from members of the public, who have more common sense than the charlatans who found Ken Meech guilty.

The Police used to be  a respected part of society but now they are little more than petty tax collectors and football fans are the cash cows.

I thin it's about time that we have a people's grand jury to over see these fcukers.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 15, 2015, 12:10am; Reply: 113
Quoted from EY Mariner
Not to mention this obscenity that the IPCC refused to do anything about.

[url]http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/apr/04/newspaper-challenges-metropolitan-police-harassment-warning-croydon-advertiser[/url]

This is all beginning to sound like Putin's Russia. But there's no frigging national media complaining about this loss of freedom.
Posted by: Teestogreen, July 15, 2015, 12:19am; Reply: 114
The case will go to Crown, if an appeal is made.

If Ken Meech wishes to try and rescind his conviction for assault (not battery) i.e. the threat of violence - not actual violence, then the same witnesses that spoke against him would need to attend again.

Would be interesting to see what collective videos - CCTV would show the possibility of the witnesses being correct.
Posted by: psgmariner, July 15, 2015, 2:03am; Reply: 115
Another steward comments

http://www.theconferenceforum.co.uk/thread/44374
Posted by: BIGChris, July 15, 2015, 7:29am; Reply: 116
Quoted from psgmariner

Some of his comments are correct BUT we are talking about Kenny Meechs case here. The majority of fair minded people would say being hit by a balloon either intentionally or not isn't something that should result in a criminal record and a huge waste of tax payers money.

I have no experience as a steward but IMO. Standing amongst the crowd is unnecessary they should be pitch side of the barriers.

The way so many things are organised at football is just to sanitise the experience. Fans, if they wish, should be allowed to sing, even be boisterous, within the confines of their 'end' provided they aren't doing criminal damage.
Posted by: WetFlannel, July 15, 2015, 7:50am; Reply: 117
As an aside to the Meech case,I'd say MOST Barnet stewards that day seemed fine, in fact the one near us (in a Charlton hat reversed) was dancing along to chants, having a laugh and generally keeping everything sensible near us. The few that were girl privates really were girl privates though. In particular the lead supervisor with his dictatorial stance did a good job of riling up everyone with one or two cronies (maybe including the lad who commented on the forum above?) and conveniently it was the small parts they where in where the issues occurred.
Posted by: Caesar, July 15, 2015, 11:26am; Reply: 118
Quoted from WetFlannel
As an aside to the Meech case,I'd say MOST Barnet stewards that day seemed fine, in fact the one near us (in a Charlton hat reversed) was dancing along to chants, having a laugh and generally keeping everything sensible near us. The few that were girl privates really were girl privates though. In particular the lead supervisor with his dictatorial stance did a good job of riling up everyone with one or two cronies (maybe including the lad who commented on the forum above?) and conveniently it was the small parts they where in where the issues occurred.

Got to agree.  In a move I now regret before the Meech case came to light I emailed Barnet to say how well and in what good humour I thought the Stewards had handled the occassion.  Everyone of the stewards I dealt with or interacted with were top class.  I thought that was a universal at the time tbh which is why this so shocked me.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 15, 2015, 11:32am; Reply: 119
Quoted from Caesar

Got to agree.  In a move I now regret before the Meech case came to light I emailed Barnet to say how well and in what good humour I thought the Stewards had handled the occassion.  Everyone of the stewards I dealt with or interacted with were top class.  I thought that was a universal at the time tbh which is why this so shocked me.

Me too, I didn't email them but I did make a point of saying to a couple how well they had handled the game, especially as some of our, shall we say, "more boisterous fans" were giving the stewards at the front more than enough reason at times to eject them.
Posted by: barralad, July 15, 2015, 11:58am; Reply: 120
Quoted from Ipswin
FFS what is that weedy tw@t doing even taking a job as a steward and who on earth decided not only to employ him but to put him on duty for only the second time at a high profile match like Barnet v Town?

He looks as if a strong puff of wind would blow him over and WTF is the £100 compo award all about? That has to be the most ridiculous part of it all. Compo for what FFS?  Fish slime on his baseball hat perhaps or is he now claiming to be so terrified of sharks that he daren't go to his local swimming pool ? Actually it doesn't look like he's seen water (or soap) for some time IMO.

As rants go that is up there..... :)
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 15, 2015, 1:59pm; Reply: 121
Even made the news in New Zealand now.

I bet Kenny is "basking" in all this limelight he's getting.  :)

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/sport/278707/shark-attack-earns-football-fan-$230-fine
Posted by: GrimRob, July 15, 2015, 3:11pm; Reply: 122
A man was killed last year after trying to save his girlfriend from being repeatedly hit with an inflatable

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/live-updates-robert-hart-dies-7256330
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, July 15, 2015, 3:25pm; Reply: 123
Quoted from GrimRob
A man was killed last year after trying to save his girlfriend from being repeatedly hit with an inflatable

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/live-updates-robert-hart-dies-7256330

Blown up out of all proportion
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 15, 2015, 3:30pm; Reply: 124
The story was somewhat inflated.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 15, 2015, 4:47pm; Reply: 125
This court conviction today in Germany is for a "real serious offence committed, not for someone being hit by a balloon.

"A German court has convicted a 94-year-old former guard at the Nazi death camp at Auschwitz of being an accessory to the murder of at least 300,000 Jews.

Oskar Groening, known as the "book-keeper of Auschwitz", was sentenced to four years in prison.
He was responsible for counting the belongings confiscated from prisoners and had admitted "moral guilt".

His lawyers said he did not facilitate genocide, but prosecutors argued that he had helped the camp run smoothly"..
Posted by: GYinScuntland, July 15, 2015, 4:59pm; Reply: 126
I find the whole saga very depressing. It upsets me greatly when I read that police and stewards can give that sort of evidence and not be laughed out of court. She heard what he said during all those celebrations, he left his body. I just hope there is a basis for appeal and the Gent gets the chance of presenting his case to a proper judge, hopefully sense would then prevail.  :(
Posted by: barralad, July 15, 2015, 5:34pm; Reply: 127
Magistrate "benches" are usually made up of three people one of whom must have a recognised legal qualification. I am astounded therefore that whoever was the legal representative on this panel didn't pick up on the "reasonable doubt" aspect given the circumstances detailed in the evidence. As far as I'm aware there is no scientific evidence to support the "out of body" experience idea and for the W.P.C. in question to have heard verbatim the comment amongst all the noise being generated stretches the boundaries of probability way beyond the norm. I was stood to the right of the goal and couldn't hear myself think never mind what someone feet away from me was saying.
I suspect the problem now will be that to launch an appeal would be costly with Legal Aid probably a "no-no".
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 15, 2015, 5:54pm; Reply: 128
As much as this case is a basket case, considering the guy was arrested, taken out of the ground, taken to court and found guilty he is pretty lucky he hasn't been handed a banning order.

He would have to take that into account if he was to appeal and still be found guilty they may decide to add that to his conviction.
Posted by: grimps, July 15, 2015, 6:02pm; Reply: 129
POST REMOVED
Posted by: ginnywings, July 15, 2015, 6:14pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from grimps

The fact that Barnet still have had a football intelligence copper despite all of the cuts to the police force we hear about is unbelievable .

REST OF POST REMOVED

Barnet themselves would have to foot the bill for that wouldn't they, whether they liked it or not?
Posted by: ginnywings, July 15, 2015, 6:19pm; Reply: 131
Quoted from barralad
Magistrate "benches" are usually made up of three people one of whom must have a recognised legal qualification. I am astounded therefore that whoever was the legal representative on this panel didn't pick up on the "reasonable doubt" aspect given the circumstances detailed in the evidence. As far as I'm aware there is no scientific evidence to support the "out of body" experience idea and for the W.P.C. in question to have heard verbatim the comment amongst all the noise being generated stretches the boundaries of probability way beyond the norm. I was stood to the right of the goal and couldn't hear myself think never mind what someone feet away from me was saying.
I suspect the problem now will be that to launch an appeal would be costly with Legal Aid probably a "no-no".

My other half was a serving Magistrate for a number of years and i'm pretty sure she would not have found Mr Meech guilty had she been on the panel. May have been outvoted by the others but not all Magistrates are social climbing twonks.
Posted by: GrimRob, July 15, 2015, 9:33pm; Reply: 132
Quoted from grimps
POST REMOVED

Please don't accuse others of contempt of court otherwise you might end up in court yourself. Annoying as this case is do we really want to prolong it further ?
Posted by: Meza, July 17, 2015, 8:00am; Reply: 133
A woman who assaulted a man with the heel of her stilettos (ans not the first time) got less than Mr Meech.
Posted by: barralad, July 17, 2015, 10:45am; Reply: 134
Quoted from ginnywings

My other half was a serving Magistrate for a number of years and i'm pretty sure she would not have found Mr Meech guilty had she been on the panel. May have been outvoted by the others but not all Magistrates are social climbing twonks.

Spot on mate. The magistrate system is and should remain one of the pillars of the British judicial system. I'm just surprised that there was wasn't a more rigorous examination of balance of probability in this case...
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 17, 2015, 11:14am; Reply: 135
I would just like to add that I was sat in the seats on the side of the pitch,

Which was a lot quieter than behind the goal,

When we scored I could not hear what people around me were saying,

So how that police officer could hear what the defendant said from that distance is amazing.

I am sure this case would be thrown out of court if he appealed.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 17, 2015, 12:36pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from grimsby pete
I would just like to add that I was sat in the seats on the side of the pitch,

Which was a lot quieter than behind the goal,

When we scored I could not hear what people around me were saying,

So how that police officer could hear what the defendant said from that distance is amazing.

I am sure this case would be thrown out of court if he appealed.

The Hillsborough inquiry (and many others) has shown how police officers are able to see and hear certain pieces of evidence that us mere mortals cannot.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 17, 2015, 2:05pm; Reply: 137
Quoted from Ipswin

This name can't be a coincidence...‎Owner at MMMMM Creative

https://www.linkedin.com/vsearch/f?type=all&keywords=cgagi+gladyng&orig=GLHD&rsid=&pageKey=oz-winner&trkInfo=tarId%3A1437136268946&search=Search

More like  MMMMM very creative indeed!

Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 17, 2015, 7:27pm; Reply: 138
Quoted from Quagmire

Only noticed that thanks to you. Another example of the ridiculous double standards of the CPS.
Posted by: friskneymariner, July 17, 2015, 7:31pm; Reply: 139
Quoted from barralad

Spot on mate. The magistrate system is and should remain one of the pillars of the British judicial system. I'm just surprised that there was wasn't a more rigorous examination of balance of probability in this case...

Balance of probability only applies in civil cases.In criminal cases it is the much higher degree of proof i.e' of beyond reasonable doubt.'
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 17, 2015, 7:43pm; Reply: 140
Quoted from friskneymariner

Balance of probability only applies in civil cases.In criminal cases it is the much higher degree of proof i.e' of beyond reasonable doubt.'

Did he hit the steward with a inflatable shark -----   yes

Did he do it on purpose   -----------  no / yes ?  unable to prove

Did the police officer 20 yards away hear him speak above a crowd of shouting cheering fans_____ no,but she said yes

Did the steward have an out of body experience  ------- can not be proven

It does not matter anyway , he is a football fan so he must be guilty,

British justice at its best.

He should appeal and take 500 fans to court with him to say he never spoke only to say sorry. :)
Print page generated: May 19, 2024, 12:59pm