Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Poll Data Not Available with Printable Version
Posted by: sutton mariner, July 28, 2015, 1:32pm
Interesting poll posted on the OS. For the first time in my memory I can't with reason think of any position we need to strengthen in. Last year I'd definately have gone for up top, in previous seasons midfield.

Not a clue.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 28, 2015, 1:38pm; Reply: 1
ive clicked up front, just because that's the department we are shortest in,
Posted by: 75 (Guest), July 28, 2015, 1:58pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
ive clicked up front, just because that's the department we are shortest in,

I'm happy with our forwards. We have three out and out forwards in Pittman, Bogle and Amond who will all ask different questions of oponents. Nathan Arnold, while primarily a winger IMO can step in if needed as we have players to play wide left (Monkhouse, Marshall) so plenty of options there.

I always think you should be looking to improve on the weakest part of your team. While I am happy with the whole squad, I wonder if we could do with a little more physicality in the middle of the park? That said, we have Scott Brown, Craig Clay, Craig Disley who are all good players. Personally, I'm expecting big things from the underrated Craig Clay this season.

I've talked myself out of the central midfield thing, our squad is looking well balanced. Sometimes you can have too many players vying for places. If there is a budget surplus, keep it for later on in the season if we need to go into the market due to injuries etc so we aren't shopping in the bargain basement store.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, July 28, 2015, 2:05pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from 75

I'm happy with our forwards. We have three out and out forwards in Pittman, Bogle and Amond who will all ask different questions of oponents. Nathan Arnold, while primarily a winger IMO can step in if needed as we have players to play wide left (Monkhouse, Marshall) so plenty of options there.

I always think you should be looking to improve on the weakest part of your team. While I am happy with the whole squad, I wonder if we could do with a little more physicality in the middle of the park? That said, we have Scott Brown, Craig Clay, Craig Disley who are all good players. Personally, I'm expecting big things from the underrated Craig Clay this season.

I've talked myself out of the central midfield thing, our squad is looking well balanced. Sometimes you can have too many players vying for places. If there is a budget surplus, keep it for later on in the season if we need to go into the market due to injuries etc so we aren't shopping in the bargain basement store.

Completely agree with this - why waste cash on a player who isn't going to play for 3 months? Save the cash if we need a player later in the season we can go for that.
Posted by: BIGChris, July 28, 2015, 2:07pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from 75

Sometimes you can have too many players vying for places. If there is a budget surplus, keep it for later on in the season if we need to go into the market due to injuries etc so we aren't shopping in the bargain basement store.

Agree with this. Can only have eleven starting and maybe those that dont start become a bit unsettled. Then the temptation is to chop and change to keep everyone happy.

MAYBE (?) a small compact squad with room in budget for short term loans IF needed isnt the worst position to be in?
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 28, 2015, 2:14pm; Reply: 5
I'm happy with our attacking options but would like to see another central midfielder to come in to challenge Disley, Clay and Brown. Venny and Clifton look decent prospects but not really ready to challenge for a regular first team spot I don't think.
Posted by: Garth, July 28, 2015, 2:19pm; Reply: 6
Ive gone for up front only because its a problem at this time to add anything to the defence or midfield, we are also OK up front but maybe just maybe a large target man would give alternatives against stubborn meathead defenders
Posted by: acko338, July 28, 2015, 2:37pm; Reply: 7
I just hope he uses the subs bench more wisely this year, to keep the team going for a full 90 minutes, especially when winning by a thin margin, as he definitely has a better choice from the current squad than in previous seasons.

We don't want any more Chester 2-0 up trip ups this year, and this squad looks like they could handle that sort of situation in a better manner.

The style that Town have adopted in the friendlies will hopefully bring in more spectators, because scoring goals brings results over a long season - Barnet proved that even with their blips against us - their goals for was formidable and proved decisive in the run in.

We still don't have a proven Pouton / Cunnington / Cumming replacement in a powerhouse position, so perhaps either getting Brown fully fit or looking at central midfield is the only slight weakness?
Posted by: buckstown, July 28, 2015, 2:40pm; Reply: 8
With Brown being out for most of pre-season I think we're light in midfield. If either Dis or Clay get injured it's down to the kids
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 28, 2015, 2:51pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Les Brechin
I'm happy with our attacking options but would like to see another central midfielder to come in to challenge Disley, Clay and Brown. Venny and Clifton look decent prospects but not really ready to challenge for a regular first team spot I don't think.

if they don't get a chance this year they will get released, lets not waste 2 prospects like we did with 3 prospects last season
Posted by: northbankmariner, July 28, 2015, 4:13pm; Reply: 10
I guess I am the only one to tick defence. Nothing wrong with our defence, 3 quality center backs and 2 good additions in east and tait (looks quality) and Gregor to come back in when fit, and there lies the problem he has injured his knee again, if he continues to have knee troubles we lack cover at full back. Yes toto can fill in at right back but he is far too valuable a center back to play out right leaving us with no cover at center back. Josh Sumter is not up to scratch just yet so one more defender for me to cover injuries and suspensions. We have excellent defenders but one more loan signing in that area would make me feel happier.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 28, 2015, 6:40pm; Reply: 11
We do not need anybody at the moment,

The good thing is we have a bit of money to bring a quality player in,

If or when we need him.

I am very happy with what we have got and who we have got coming through.

I am always positive but this season I am super positive. 8)
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, July 28, 2015, 7:07pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

if they don't get a chance this year they will get released, lets not waste 2 prospects like we did with 3 prospects last season

Clifton on a two year deal mate
Posted by: rancido, July 28, 2015, 7:29pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Les Brechin

I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities for either of these to come of the bench in the coming season. Now we have a reserve team they will get plenty of match time which is bound to improve their chances to stake a first team place at the club.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 28, 2015, 10:14pm; Reply: 14
Defence looks good, possibly a striker short but with Nathan coming inside we have 4 with Bugle, JP and Amond. Centre mid looks a bit light with Brownie being crocked but if we get short throw the young lads in as there are goals in this Town team which would compensate for any mistakes in mod field or at the back.
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 4:56pm