Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, August 29, 2015, 5:20pm
To car. Dont understand anyone slagging off Hurst for this, only reason we didnt win this game is shoddy finishing 1st half and a sending off ( which i didnt see). Great character from players to get a draw- lincoln absolutely dire, led by that fat sharp object Rhead. Fans amazing. As per normal- it is dissapointing to be so far behind the leaders but today is not the day to be blaming PH. UTM for monday
Posted by: MarinerGaz, August 29, 2015, 5:25pm; Reply: 1
Kinda glad Hearn wasn't playing though, sending off could've cost us even more...great character following Gowling's stupidity, and deserve the ever present great support on Monday! UTM
Posted by: blasty, August 29, 2015, 5:26pm; Reply: 2
That won't stop sausage boy and his crew calling for his head I'm afraid.

That said, results have got to start being achieved quickly. We have not started well again.
Posted by: Tommy, August 29, 2015, 5:40pm; Reply: 3
Not seen anyone blaming Hurst at all.

A good point in the circumstances after going down to 10 men. I can't remember us ever doing well after going down to 10.

And the performance sounded decent so hopefully that will give us a bit of confidence and positivity to take into Monday.

But, it's now 3 games without a win and we're 9 points off the leaders. I think Monday is a massive game and almost a "must win".
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 29, 2015, 5:49pm; Reply: 4
I'm still not concerned. We've drawn the last two in which last year we'd have lost. Last week was a shite managerial decision and this week was Gowling flipping up. But both times we've shown the character to pull it back and be unlucky not to actually win.

I feel that when we get a bit of luck and a bit of form going we'll be very very hard to stop.
Posted by: Marinerdan, August 29, 2015, 5:53pm; Reply: 5
Rhead's just been interviewed on Radio Lincs and said something along the lines of 'we had a bit of a hug in the box then their player went to grab me around the neck so I dropped to the floor like the ultimate professional'. Seemed to be openly admitting to simulation to get a player sent off.
Posted by: chaos33, August 29, 2015, 5:54pm; Reply: 6
I agree with Ginny, as usual.

A positive to get a result when going down to 10 men, but it's the same old problems and excuses - wasted chances, individual errors, poor refereeing, failing to beat average to poor teams and falling behind the leaders who have won every game and barely conceded a goal. Sometimes we seem to learn nothing season on season. Our fantastic support deserves the kind of levels being shown by FGR, Eastleigh and Wrexham. 6 games in and generally speaking, not good enough. No getting away from that.

Very disappointing to be this far behind the leaders and it is already starting to look like yet another play off chase.

Mixed emotions, but mostly p1ssed off.
Posted by: MarinerGaz, August 29, 2015, 5:58pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from pontoonlew
I'm still not concerned. We've drawn the last two in which last year we'd have lost. Last week was a shite managerial decision and this week was Gowling flipping up. But both times we've shown the character to pull it back and be unlucky not to actually win.

I feel that when we get a bit of luck and a bit of form going we'll be very very hard to stop.

2 comebacks against the odds, a very dodgy ref (and tiring team short of changes to make) at Alty, with a number of mistakes that haven't helped us...I feel the character in the last 2 games will help us turn the corner now, maybe we'll get some luck and decisions in our favour! An early penalty for us today (rather than playing 'advantage') and the result could've been far different! We do have a squad (players back from fitness - pity about the suspension) and manager who can take us to the top of this league, that's what I still firmly believe! I hope they get the support on Monday, I'm sure they will...
Posted by: Mariners_15, August 29, 2015, 6:00pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from chaos33

A positive to get a result when going down to 10 men, but it's the same old problems and excuses - wasted chances, individual errors, poor refereeing, failing to beat average to poor teams and falling behind the leaders who have won every game and barely conceded a goal. Sometimes we seem to learn nothing season on season. Our fantastic support deserves the kind of levels being shown by FGR, Eastleigh and Wrexham. 6 games in and generally speaking, not good enough. No getting away from that.

Very disappointing to be this far behind the leaders and it is already starting to look like yet another play off chase.

My thoughts too! I know there's plenty of games to go but we're already chasing despite having a fairly easy-ish start. Frustrating but looks like we're following a similar path to recent seasons.

Posted by: jimgtfc, August 29, 2015, 6:01pm; Reply: 9
9 points off the pace though  :-/
Posted by: DocTower, August 29, 2015, 6:06pm; Reply: 10
Just seems that other teams and managers are far more street wise than us , and have been for several years . If you can't beat them join them ,  whether we like it or not .  Gaining an advantage by cheating seems very acceptable in this division.
Posted by: oldun, August 29, 2015, 6:12pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from DocTower
Just seems that other teams and managers are far more street wise than us , and have been for several years . If you can't beat them join them ,  whether we like it or not .  Gaining an advantage by cheating seems very acceptable in this division.

I don't care, never want to see a team I support resort to cheating as a tactic. Maybe being a bit cleverer and professional, for example wasting a bit of time if we are in a winning positions, preventing free kicks being taken quickly, but not diving or trying to get someone sent off by faining injury. Unacceptable.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 29, 2015, 6:15pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from oldun

I don't care, never want to see a team I support resort to cheating as a tactic. Maybe being a bit cleverer and professional, for example wasting a bit of time if we are in a winning positions, preventing free kicks being taken quickly, but not diving or trying to get someone sent off by faining injury. Unacceptable.

Well said oldun

If we are to go up then I want us to be remembered for being the team that deserved it on merit for football...not some devious bunch of opportunists taking professionalism to its limits à la Crawley, Fleetwood etc
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 29, 2015, 6:38pm; Reply: 13
Appologies for poor spelling or grammar i'm using my tablet and it doesn't do as its told sometimes.

ust back to my hotel and if only we had 11 men we would of hammered Lincoln the way we were playing. Could easily of scored 2 or 3 before the penno but for a mix of poor finishing and some great goalkeeping.

Didn't see Rheads dive im calling it that till I see otherwise having read a few things and from his simulation leading to the dive. If Macca had gone the right way he would of saved it but thats football.

They could of finished us off a couple of times when they caught us on the break but didn't.

Can't believe the way we played though especially down to 10 men we could of won it with some better finishing again. Bogles goal was fantastic the lead up from Robertson chipping their right back to Bogles control on his chest and hit on the volley. If only Disley had gotten propper contact on his effort he would of won it for us.

To come back from behind twice is impressive we wouldn't of done that last season, our luck has to turn soon but the point gap is getting worrying aleready.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 29, 2015, 6:39pm; Reply: 14
Sausage boy  ;D ;D
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 29, 2015, 6:42pm; Reply: 15
Thought we were brilliant today, joke sending off!! Great brave tactic from Hurst to leave two up top and we battered them with 10 men. Have to laugh at the losers who have sat at home and slagged off a really gutsy performance, we have a team that is entertaining and well worth watching, some folk should give it a go 😉
Posted by: LH, August 29, 2015, 6:45pm; Reply: 16
A good point gained again. Sending off pivotal and it would have been a different story with 11 vs 11. Gowling should not have been drawn into that and he knows it but luckily for him we stepped it up and got a point from a really poor Lincoln side.

No poor performances from any of our players today and a really well taken goal from injury prone Bogle.

A message to Town fans: Pantomime villain type players thrive off abuse - even if they have the mobility of an anvil.
Posted by: MarinerGaz, August 29, 2015, 6:50pm; Reply: 17
Come on, we must surely be happier than our beloved rivals, we don't have to resort to near enough cheating and can still outplay them with 10 men! This town knows?
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 29, 2015, 6:52pm; Reply: 18
I have heard it all now.

Talk about clutching at straws.

I must say some "losers" on here are either deluded or have a very boring life to say being tenth in non league is entertaining.
Posted by: mariner91, August 29, 2015, 6:53pm; Reply: 19
Good character and I think we deserved to win ultimately. Should have been about 3 up before the penalty. Didn't see the incident but did hear Rhead on the radio, what a cheating girl private. Gowling shouldn't have got involved and he knows it but I'd rather stay in this league forever than have someone like Rhead play for us. Lincoln are just all round a shite club. Shite fans, shite players, shite tactics and incredibly shite "display" at the start of the game. I'd rather take out my own eyes than be involved with them.

Some very good individual performances today particularly from Arnold and Toto when he came on. But Disley was MOTM, that was a captain's performance if ever I've seen one. Anyone who questions why he is played every week should have seen him today. Great goal from Bogle but he needs to learn that he has team mates and to release them rather than shooting from crazy positions.

Brave and correct decision from Hurst to leave 2 up top but I think he should have introduced Pittman much, much earlier. So a point won in circumstances where we were unfortunate and had it stayed eleven versus eleven we would have comfortably beaten them as they offered nothing other than that penalty, despite us having ten men for most the game.

It is worrying that we're 9 points off but our luck will turn and we'll go on a run sooner rather than later.
Posted by: Rik e B, August 29, 2015, 6:53pm; Reply: 20
Well said oldun and I agree wholeheartedly Healingley.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, August 29, 2015, 6:57pm; Reply: 21
One thing this side has in spades is bags of character we kept at them even when down to ten men. We need the thing everybody needs at any level a bit of luck. Our fans were absolutely magnificent today.Josh owes a few apologies me thinks.
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, August 29, 2015, 6:57pm; Reply: 22
Much improved performance from last week and should have been 2 up in the first five minutes. As someone has said elsewhere I don't think luck is on our side at the minute but that will change. Good to see us keeping the ball on the floor a lot more and switching it from side to side. Only criticism is that we could do this quicker across the back four. Thought Dizza was excellent today and can't say I was too unhappy in him getting a yellow for scraping his studs down Rhead's achilles - quid illud circuit venit circum as Vinny Jones used to say. Didn't see the Gowling incident but as alluded to above it seems like he's reacted to something which for a guy like him is pretty stupid. The back four looked a lot more stable even with the enforced change and nice to see us covering the back post!
I think the sending off may have worked against Lincoln as the extra time and space it gave them seemed to confuse them into thinking they could play football rather than just hoofing it up to fat boy.
Bogle's goal shows he is a natural finisher, connected beautifully and curled it right into the corner. Still has work to do on his decision making but more games will see that improve. Amond and Arnold ran they're socks off and won balls they never got near last week.
Very unlucky not to take all three points in the end - not sure how their keeper kept Dizza's effort out late on.
Crowd was excellent - I think there were some Lincoln fans their as well so well done to them for turning up knowing you have to watch that long ball shite every week.
Posted by: barralad, August 29, 2015, 7:04pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from chaos33

Well I class myself of being a part of the "Fantastic Support" and I'm quite happy with the way things have gone today given the circumstances. I don't know if you were there or not but I'm struggling to see which part of today wasn't good enough. You simply cannot legislate for decisions like the sending off (although I'll readily concede I expected more nous from Gowling). The reception the gallant 10 men received at the end suggests that I'm not alone in my thoughts
Posted by: mariner tommy, August 29, 2015, 7:05pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt
Much improved performance from last week and should have been 2 up in the first five minutes. As someone has said elsewhere I don't think luck is on our side at the minute but that will change. Good to see us keeping the ball on the floor a lot more and switching it from side to side. Only criticism is that we could do this quicker across the back four. Thought Dizza was excellent today and can't say I was too unhappy in him getting a yellow for scraping his studs down Rhead's achilles - quid illud circuit venit circum as Vinny Jones used to say. Didn't see the Gowling incident but as alluded to above it seems like he's reacted to something which for a guy like him is pretty stupid. The back four looked a lot more stable even with the enforced change and nice to see us covering the back post!
I think the sending off may have worked against Lincoln as the extra time and space it gave them seemed to confuse them into thinking they could play football rather than just hoofing it up to fat boy.
Bogle's goal shows he is a natural finisher, connected beautifully and curled it right into the corner. Still has work to do on his decision making but more games will see that improve. Amond and Arnold ran they're socks off and won balls they never got near last week.
Very unlucky not to take all three points in the end - not sure how their keeper kept Dizza's effort out late on.
Crowd was excellent - I think there were some Lincoln fans their as well so well done to them for turning up knowing you have to watch that long ball shite every week.

Great write up, and some good turns of phrase !!.
Made me chuckle !

UTM
Posted by: barralad, August 29, 2015, 7:09pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from jonnyboy82
I have heard it all now.

I must say some "losers" on here are either deluded or have a very boring life to say being tenth in non league is entertaining.

Yeah fair point...we could all just sit behind a keyboard and get our entertainment from slagging off people we don't agree with.
Posted by: Perkins, August 29, 2015, 7:09pm; Reply: 26
Lions v Donkeys. Strength of character showed today. Team selection about right, and good on Hurst for keeping two strikers on after the sending off, which was a joke in itself. Bogles goal was superb piece of skill, and Disley was very unlucky not to nick it late on., No complaints about the way we played today, Lincoln were very ordinary and I certainly wouldn't want to watch that week after week. Probably a few changes for Monday as I guess nearly all players will be knackered after that effort today.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 29, 2015, 7:14pm; Reply: 27
Do your homework barra.

The "slagging off" always always comes from the happy clappers first  :P

As for sitting behind a keyboard i have been to enough matches this season to qualify an opinion.
Posted by: oldludensian, August 29, 2015, 7:16pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Thought we were brilliant today, joke sending off!! Great brave tactic from Hurst to leave two up top and we battered them with 10 men. Have to laugh at the losers who have sat at home and slagged off a really gutsy performance, we have a team that is entertaining and well worth watching, some folk should give it a go 😉

This ^^

Well said, that man.
Posted by: nickmariners, August 29, 2015, 7:18pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from jonnyboy82
I have heard it all now.

Yeah, but -- today's match WAS entertaining, and it was a great performance.  I'm glad I went and supported my team
Posted by: LH, August 29, 2015, 7:20pm; Reply: 30
Why do people feed the trolls? The rational thinkers amongst us will know a draw from 1-0 down with an hour with ten men is a good result.
Posted by: barralad, August 29, 2015, 7:24pm; Reply: 31
I got my wish of seeing the back four that finished the Torquay game being the one which started today. I don't think I've ever seen Robertson get forward so much so often since he's been at Town. East could be a real find this season-bags of energy and the ability to pick a pass/make a decent cross. Hurst deserves massive credit for the way he approached the task after the sending off. To keep two up top was a master stroke. What will be of great benefit to us over the season is the strength in depth we have in key positions. Toto slotted comfortably into the back four and for me barely put a foot wrong. We were saying at the start of the second half that Bogle looked a little casual and that Pittman would be a better bet and then the lad pops up with a fantastic goal..you cannot coach that sort of skill in my opinion. I was one of the 500 or so who actually thought that Disley's half volley had gone in. If it hadn't been for Farman Town would have been out of sight.
This team WILL come good. The spirit is there in spades and the football being played is at times exactly what I want to see from a Town team.
Must admit to feeling quite pleased when I saw Hearn wasn't playing. Having witnessed the way Rhead plays you can see the two of them being a pretty prolific partnership. Having said that I'd hate to watch Lincoln every week..they couldn't even keep the ball when they were trying to run us into the ground.
Both sets of fans were absolutely superb around the minutes silence...
Posted by: barralad, August 29, 2015, 7:29pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Do your homework barra.

The "slagging off" always always comes from the happy clappers first  :P

As for sitting behind a keyboard i have been to enough matches this season to qualify an opinion.

I'm not particularly fussed about matches you've been to but IF you were there today I'd be interested in your opinion about what exactly wasn't entertaining about the way the team played today given the circumstances. Perhaps it's just me but I don't necessarily just consider myself to only have been entertained if we win...
Posted by: chaos33, August 29, 2015, 7:39pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from barralad

Well I class myself of being a part of the "Fantastic Support" and I'm quite happy with the way things have gone today given the circumstances. I don't know if you were there or not but I'm struggling to see which part of today wasn't good enough. You simply cannot legislate for decisions like the sending off (although I'll readily concede I expected more nous from Gowling). The reception the gallant 10 men received at the end suggests that I'm not alone in my thoughts

It should be fairly self evident what I mean Barra, after six games, two wins and a league position of 10th. I wasn't there today and would in no way slag off the performance, which was evidently fantastic, even if the result against yet another middling to poor team wasn't great. I'm talking about the overall position after six games and the fact that we talk about the same things season after season. No getting away from the fact that, once again, we are also talking about individual errors costing us, as well as not taking chances - an all too familiar tale.

Losers make excuses, and every dropped point this season so far has seen a fair share. I just wish our results would speak for themselves, just like FGR's, Eastleigh's, Wrexhams etc.
I'm sure we'll come good and climb into the promotion race, but losing so much ground on the leaders after such a short time is a a big worry IMO, especially as they are just crushing every opponent without trouble (and without having to find excuses).
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 29, 2015, 7:40pm; Reply: 34
Yes its just you.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), August 29, 2015, 7:41pm; Reply: 35
Wasn't there today. Feared the worst after the 30th minute. Sounds like another great fight back.

Will be back on Monday. Still enjoying this season more than I have in years. Still believe they'll go on a run and get the results they deserve.

UTM
Posted by: BIGChris, August 29, 2015, 7:43pm; Reply: 36
Season is over!
Posted by: barralad, August 29, 2015, 8:02pm; Reply: 37

Quoted from jonnyboy82
Yes its just you.

Fair enough I'm glad I have the ability to accept that my team-even with the money raised by Operation Promotion-aren't going to win every match. It makes it so much easier for me to come on here and laugh out loud at you...
Posted by: denni266, August 29, 2015, 8:08pm; Reply: 38
keep seeing the phrase  entertaining..mmmmmm    does that get you promoted ??????
Posted by: davmariner, August 29, 2015, 8:09pm; Reply: 39
Just back myself. Was sat in the Lincoln end unfortunately, but the incident was in my line of sight. Clear red card I'm afraid and let us down by reacting to that fat tw@t Rhead. Was a clear push in the face.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 29, 2015, 8:10pm; Reply: 40
Win every match ?

Err just hang on there barra , here you go again making stuff up.

I never said to win every match , i said the start we have made has not been good enough and gowling reacting today  making us go down to ten men isnt good enough.

2 wins out if 6 isnt quite league winning material.

Oh and btw do you live in barrow because i do so if you do why dont we meet and you can laugh as loud as you want to my face and not behind a keyboard as you like to put it so often  ;D
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 29, 2015, 8:15pm; Reply: 41
A quick mention for Disley who was brilliant today. His passing and vision was great and kept the team ticking over, and his defensive effort was top class. I remember a little spell were he made a couple of challenges and really got stuck in to them when they were just having a bit of possession, really led from the front today
Posted by: barralad, August 29, 2015, 8:21pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Win every match ?

Err just hang on there barra , here you go again making stuff up.

I never said to win every match , i said the start we have made has not been good enough and gowling reacting today  making us go down to ten men isnt good enough.

Oh and btw do you live in barrow because i do so if you do why dont we meet and you can laugh as loud as you want to my face and not behind a keyboard as you like to put it so often  ;D

Pop into the Trust Bar before any home game I'm always in there. Mind you if you look like B.A. Baracus then I might have to beat a retreat or agree to meet you on a plane. I was hoping to meet you at the great sausage insertion "funday" but it seems like that isn't going to happen now..By the way I don't live in Barrow. The username is a reference to a job I had as a student down dock 40 odd years ago when we still had a fishing industry..
Posted by: gb, August 29, 2015, 8:25pm; Reply: 43
Hurst made a decision today that won us points by being positive. Mind you that Robinson is so poor he shouldn't be anywhere near our team. Omar apart from goal for me was poor but guess that's why he's in the team. Pearson is a class act and anyone who's ever questioned Disley, have a look at today's performance and tell his legs are gone incredible today
Posted by: EY Mariner, August 29, 2015, 8:30pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Perhaps not but, if one chooses to be more positive about these things, we've only lost once and there is no way the likes of FGR are going to maintain this start. If we look at the whole picture, I think we would see that things are nowhere near as bad as some would like to portray.

We've done extremely well today, were by far the better side before the penalty, the better side in the second half and arguably deserved to win it. Town sides of not that long ago would have folded and got stuffed after having a man sent off in those circumstances. This team didn't and that says a lot for me. With the firepower we have, we will challenge. Patience is a virtue.
Posted by: Hagrid, August 29, 2015, 8:36pm; Reply: 45
Post on Lincolns forum- Disley bossed the midfield todsy for Grimsby, doing the work of 2 men.  
Posted by: mariner91, August 29, 2015, 8:37pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from denni266
keep seeing the phrase  entertaining..mmmmmm    does that get you promoted ??????

But last year when we were going on our good run, we still had people (who, incidentally, seem to be the ones moaning still) saying that despite winning we weren't very entertaining and that they wouldn't go watch us because of it.
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 29, 2015, 8:40pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from barralad

Pop into the Trust Bar before any home game I'm always in there. Mind you if you look like B.A. Baracus then I might have to beat a retreat or agree to meet you on a plane. I was hoping to meet you at the great sausage insertion "funday" but it seems like that isn't going to happen now..By the way I don't live in Barrow. The username is a reference to a job I had as a student down dock 40 100 odd years ago when we still had a fishing industry..

;)

If you are going to take Barra on jonnyboy82 you need wikipedia, google, a couple of geniuses off TV's Chase quiz challenge and a big bag of Werther's Original and certainly no dance off's  ;)
Posted by: chaos33, August 29, 2015, 8:41pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from gb
Hurst made a decision today that won us points by being positive. Mind you that Robinson is so poor he shouldn't be anywhere near our team. Omar apart from goal for me was poor but guess that's why he's in the team. Pearson is a class act and anyone who's ever questioned Disley, have a look at today's performance and tell his legs are gone incredible today

Hurst's decision won us a point, not points, and what else was he going to do other than leave 2 up front? I'm in no way slagging Hurst off because he does deserve recognition for the way the team played, but I've read several posts calling him brave and claiming a tactical masterstroke. We were a goal down FFS, what else was he gonna do?!
Posted by: barralad, August 29, 2015, 8:42pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from mariner91

But last year when we were going on our good run, we still had people (who, incidentally, seem to be the ones moaning still) saying that despite winning we weren't very entertaining and that they wouldn't go watch us because of it.

Indeed-the 1800 or so who clapped and cheered the team off today didn't look as though they hadn't been entertained.
All I want from any GTFC team is to try to play the game as it should be played and commitment to the cause. This team have both in spades. Hurst deserves credit for making that happen.
Posted by: Garth, August 29, 2015, 8:42pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from EY Mariner

Perhaps not but, if one chooses to be more positive about these things, we've only lost once and there is no way the likes of FGR are going to maintain this start. If we look at the whole picture, I think we would see that things are nowhere near as bad as some would like to portray.

We've done extremely well today, were by far the better side before the penalty, the better side in the second half and arguably deserved to win it. Town sides of not that long ago would have folded and got stuffed after having a man sent off in those circumstances. This team didn't and that says a lot for me. With the firepower we have, we will challenge. Patience is a virtue.

WHS, my flabber was absolutely gasted today at Disley`s performance, should have won MOM twice, we are going to start a winning run soon not to worry
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 29, 2015, 8:46pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from BIGChris
Season is over!

I fear you may be right at best looking at the first 6 games a play off place would be an achievement  .............. But I think we should still be optimistic and it feels like the fans are determined to stay behind the lads.  

Posted by: Mariner16, August 29, 2015, 8:47pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from gb
Mind you that Robinson is so poor he shouldn't be anywhere near our team.

So, you're judging him on playing after one training session AND 30 minutes in another game? Very short sighted and I hope he makes you eat your words after a proper run in the side.

Posted by: barralad, August 29, 2015, 8:48pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from chaos33

Hurst's decision won us a point, not points, and what else was he going to do other than leave 2 up front? I'm in no way slagging Hurst off because he does deserve recognition for the way the team played, but I've read several posts calling him brave and claiming a tactical masterstroke. We were a goal down FFS, what else was he gonna do?!

Well you may have a point but he could have played Bogle up front on his own and packed the midfield with them coming through for the lay offs. Thinking about it he could have played three at the back and pushed East into midfield as well.. :)
Posted by: mariner91, August 29, 2015, 8:48pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from barralad

Indeed-the 1800 or so who clapped and cheered the team off today didn't look as though they hadn't been entertained.
All I want from any GTFC team is to try to play the game as it should be played and commitment to the cause. This team have both in spades. Hurst deserves credit for making that happen.

Yep agreed. Nobody is saying that we've had a good start and we'd all rather be closer to FGR than we are. However, there is clearly potential for this side to do well and once our luck turns, I truly believe we'll be there or there abouts. As for the entertainment, the team gave their all and played the game in the right way. What more can you ask for in terms of entertainment from your own side?
Posted by: barralad, August 29, 2015, 8:49pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I fear you may be right at best looking at the first 6 games a play off place would be an achievement  .............. But I think we should still be optimistic and it feels like the fans are determined to stay behind the lads.  

Knowing Big Chris quite well I'd say there was more than a hint of irony in his well thought out incisive post...
Posted by: chaos33, August 29, 2015, 8:56pm; Reply: 56
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit  :)
Actually, it's quite amusing to see BC's remark treated as though he actually meant it  :)
Posted by: Abdul19, August 29, 2015, 8:57pm; Reply: 57
Rhead is a known wind up merchant (ie cheat), but without seeing it I don't know whether to be angry at Gowling for reacting or Rhead for going down like he'd been shot! I can't say for sure that he was overreacting, but Lincoln players congratulating him after the card came out suggests so. That incident aside, we were comfortably the better team and should still have won, 10 men or not. Disley was fantastic in the middle and Bogle's goal was the finish of a man who once a bit more polished, will play higher.

But my man (or child) of the day goes to the 7 stone Lincoln fan who got really angry at something or other, just after someone else had been kicked out. It was fucking hilarious. If only there was a vine of it!
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 29, 2015, 8:57pm; Reply: 58
Spot on chaos.

"Masterstroke" is just a fishy word for he could do intercourse all else.
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 29, 2015, 8:57pm; Reply: 59
How points over the seasons have Lincoln cheated us out of?
Posted by: Rik e B, August 29, 2015, 9:25pm; Reply: 60
Patience is a virtue and I have been thoroughly entertained thus far. Guess I must be nothing but a loser though then.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 29, 2015, 9:31pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from barralad

Knowing Big Chris quite well I'd say there was more than a hint of irony in his well thought out incisive post...

Ha ha ha ha ha .............. very good!

Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, August 29, 2015, 10:17pm; Reply: 62
But for a moment of madness we'd have hammered them. Proud to be a town fan tonight, played the game the right way, scored a fine goal, showed Lincoln up for what they are.
All been said about Disley, but he was a class above anything out there today. Arnold ran his little legs off too.
The Bogle song is ace as was the "we've only got ten men"
UTFM
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 29, 2015, 10:20pm; Reply: 63
Has to be said it did take them 70 minutes to test Macca.
Posted by: chaos33, August 29, 2015, 10:21pm; Reply: 64
We'll if it's ok with barralad if I have a critical view, I'd say that we've had rather too many 'moments of madness' in the opening games and it has cost us quite a few vital points already. If we can improve our decision making, concentration and composure, then we can expect to see an upturn in fortunes because we've got some great players.
Posted by: mariner91, August 29, 2015, 10:24pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from chaos33
We'll if it's ok with barralad if I have a critical view, I'd say that we've had rather too many 'moments of madness' in the opening games and it has cost us quite a few vital points already. If we can improve our decision making, concentration and composure, then we can expect to see an upturn in fortunes because we've got some great players.

I'd agree with that. But I would add that it isn't necessarily Hurst's fault that we've been dropping points. He was to blame against Torquay but he didn't get Gowling sent off today and he didn't make Macca drop the ball against Alty.
Posted by: Brazilnut, August 29, 2015, 10:26pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from gb

Football a game of opinions ....was sat in the Echo stand the lad behind me a lincoln fan said to his mate near end of first half " that big black lad (his words) up front hasnt put a foot wrong he wont be at this team for long !!!!!!

everyone sees things different .........
Posted by: chaos33, August 29, 2015, 10:28pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from mariner91

I'd agree with that. But I would add that it isn't necessarily Hurst's fault that we've been dropping points. He was to blame against Torquay but he didn't get Gowling sent off today and he didn't make Macca drop the ball against Alty.

Yeah good points
Posted by: barralad, August 29, 2015, 10:34pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from chaos33

I'll forgive your childish comment. I actually agree with that view when applied to Gowling today. I expected far better from someone with his experience of not only football but this league in particular. Alas we are in tier 5 and players at our level are generally susceptible to "moments of madness".
Posted by: gb, August 29, 2015, 10:34pm; Reply: 69
Sorry mariner16 but clay has been class all pre season one poor game at Altrincham and dropped for Robinson who for me offers nothing. He scored an og last week because he couldn't get of the ground he was that unfit he was blowing after 5 mins. He doesn't come looking for the ball enough and shouldn't be in the team!
Posted by: barralad, August 29, 2015, 10:35pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Brazilnut

Football a game of opinions ....was sat in the Echo stand the lad behind me a lincoln fan said to his mate near end of first half " that big black lad (his words) up front hasnt put a foot wrong he wont be at this team for long !!!!!!

everyone sees things different .........

Got exactly the same response from two Lincoln fans walking back to our respective cars.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 29, 2015, 10:43pm; Reply: 71
I do suppose that being entertained is more of a priority if you actually attend the game. I echo the thoughts on Disley, he was excellent. Thought Bogle showed some real quality and some inexperience on occasions but I'm convinced will sell him on for a big fee eventually.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, August 29, 2015, 11:16pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from barralad

Pop into the Trust Bar before any home game I'm always in there. Mind you if you look like B.A. Baracus then I might have to beat a retreat or agree to meet you on a plane. I was hoping to meet you at the great sausage insertion "funday" but it seems like that isn't going to happen now..By the way I don't live in Barrow. The username is a reference to a job I had as a student down dock 40 odd years ago when we still had a fishing industry..

I use to be a barralad too Ian on the pontoon 30 years ago (Rodgers and wignal) I think that's how it was spelt.
Posted by: RichMariner, August 30, 2015, 1:17am; Reply: 73
A word for McKeown too, who's made a couple of errors this season. Thought he made a couple of important saves when called upon. Hopefully that's him back on form.
Posted by: Daz460, August 30, 2015, 1:25am; Reply: 74
Quoted from gb
Sorry mariner16 but clay has been class all pre season one poor game at Altrincham and dropped for Robinson who for me offers nothing. He scored an og last week because he couldn't get of the ground he was that unfit he was blowing after 5 mins. He doesn't come looking for the ball enough and shouldn't be in the team!

He doesn't come looking for the ball enough and shouldn't be in the team!
Many said the same of Clay last year, let's give him more time!
Posted by: gb, August 30, 2015, 7:35am; Reply: 75
I'm not saying he couldn't be good or a useful addition from the bench but ge shouldn't be in the team! Clay is better he's a permanent member if the squad and dropped for someone on loan who isn't up to the pace/job
Posted by: Garth, August 30, 2015, 8:17am; Reply: 76
Thing is Robinson will start Monday alongside Clay IMO, I think all of the bench will start due to the effort put in by the ten men warriors
Posted by: TAGG, August 30, 2015, 8:18am; Reply: 77
Quoted from RichMariner
A word for McKeown too, who's made a couple of errors this season. Thought he made a couple of important saves when called upon. Hopefully that's him back on form.

Hurst is always banging on about competition for places but never gets anyone in to push McKeown, why is this???
He has gone from being the top keeper in non-league to being an also ran since Croudson left IMO
Posted by: ska face, August 30, 2015, 8:19am; Reply: 78
Quoted from RichMariner

Agree with this. Just watched the highlights on MP and I'd forgotten how well McKeown did in the second half, making a few very good saves, his distribution was great throughout and made the right decisions when Lincoln were pumping throws and dead balls into the box. Great to see after a few shaky games.
Posted by: barralad, August 30, 2015, 8:29am; Reply: 79
Quoted from TAGG

Hurst is always banging on about competition for places but never gets anyone in to push McKeown, why is this???
He has gone from being the top keeper in non-league to being an also ran since Croudson left IMO

I think it is a luxury Hurst cannot afford. Personally I'd rather what money we have is spent on providing competition at the other end of the pitch. It's not like you would regularly make a substitution of a goalkeeper during a match. Town like most other teams assess the risks of not even having a keeper on the bench and find it worth doing. It's a lot of money to spend to keep one of your keepers in the reserves. I suspect that particularly with the keeper role managers make a judgement call pre-season of all or nothing. Hurst has obviously decided McKeown is up to the task and apart from the odd error it is difficult to disagree. He was very good yesterday IMO.
Posted by: TAGG, August 30, 2015, 8:42am; Reply: 80
Quoted from barralad

I think it is a luxury Hurst cannot afford. Personally I'd rather what money we have is spent on providing competition at the other end of the pitch. It's not like you would regularly make a substitution of a goalkeeper during a match. Town like most other teams assess the risks of not even having a keeper on the bench and find it worth doing. It's a lot of money to spend to keep one of your keepers in the reserves. I suspect that particularly with the keeper role managers make a judgement call pre-season of all or nothing. Hurst has obviously decided McKeown is up to the task and apart from the odd error it is difficult to disagree. He was very good yesterday IMO.

Glad he had a good game yesterday because we all know he's got it in him but think every one on here agrees that he's not been up to his usual standards back end of last season/start of this one.
Hurst can find money to bring in a not very good midfielder so why not bring in a Keeper in for a month or two. This may focus McKewans mind a bit.
Posted by: RoboCod, August 30, 2015, 9:45am; Reply: 81
Having slept on it I'm of the opinion that...I don't know what to think. We almost need a new set of footballing terminology for this club, a new way of addressing our problems that are so different to those problems of other normal clubs.
We'e shot ourselves in the foot so many times before the season was even a quarter of the way through we've surely got no feet left.
Yesterday, taken as a one-off game would have been a decent point if we'd not committed so many stupid-Grimsby things already. Despite constant reminders that we were only 1/2/3 or games in, things would settle etc I wasn't impressed with the seasons start at all. TWO injury time goals in the first two games, silly, stupid tiny errors to gift the opposition goals when they'd barely troubled us...to me we'd already shown our weaknesses to the rest of the division 2 games in.

As a one-off game yesterday I think we take much much more from the game than our rivals. Lots of disquiet here in Lincoln from those who think about the game a little, the Hearn problem gathering pace and the fact that Rhead is the biggest pile of cheating human tissue and bones in the country. Anyone want Rhead on the back of their shirt?

Meanwhile we take the positives, 10 men were better than their 11, better support etc...then to the problems of scoring. Can't see how Hurst can take any blame for yesterday. Would have been Toto and Shaun for me but that's splitting hairs.
We had a family outing later in the afternoon so didn't go, but I even debated even listening to the commentary, so miserable am I listening to the same old tune every week. Tuned in after 5 minutes or so, just as Town had the ball pinging around in their box. Head in hands, I didn't even get excited and waited for it...'and the ball inches over the bar..' yep here we go.
Then the dreaded words 'Town should be winning this by at least two..'...my head sinks further into my hands as that is the signal for a stupid-Grimsby thing to happen in the net 20-30 minutes. What could it be this time??
We've done the overhit back pass, the cross to the far post/unmarked man has been a little overdone, no debutants to stick the ball in their own net...so step forward Josh G.

Rambling here a little but my point...it struck me that had a fan of another team, almost any other team, been in the room with me my behaviour would have looked odd. Ball in their box, mounting pressure, that's a good sign? Should be 2 up, dominating play, you'll go on to win this comfortably, they'd say.

NO. This is Grimsby and they do stupid things and score what seems to be 1 in every 10 chances.
As a one-off game, good result, as one in a sequence of games, more dropped points.
And apart from the one moment of stupidity we can't even lay into any of the players and demand they be dropped/replaced or call for 3 up front/4 in the middle or any normal footballing things.

Sadly, I have no answer to any of this, we just do stupid things just once or twice in a game, miss too many chances, and when these things aren't happening we're being a touch unlucky.

I honestly feel like I've aged a few years because of this bunch.
Enjoy your GTFC-free Sundays everyone.
Posted by: Ipswin, August 30, 2015, 9:57am; Reply: 82
Quoted from TAGG

Glad he had a good game yesterday because we all know he's got it in him but think every one on here agrees that he's not been up to his usual standards back end of last season/start of this one.
Hurst can find money to bring in a not very good midfielder so why not bring in a Keeper in for a month or two. This may focus McKewans mind a bit.

Thing is what keeper worth his salt and good enough to challenge Mac would want to come to a mid table Conference (or whatever grandiose title they have given it to try to make people like us feel better) club?

Posted by: friskneymariner, August 30, 2015, 10:03am; Reply: 83
We need a leader on the pitch,that is what we are lacking and have been lacking for years.
Posted by: mariner91, August 30, 2015, 10:05am; Reply: 84
Quoted from friskneymariner
We need a leader on the pitch,that is what we are lacking and have been lacking for years.

Take it you didn't see Disley yesterday then? The epitome of a captain's performance.
Posted by: rancido, August 30, 2015, 10:39am; Reply: 85
Quoted from 130[b
]Rhead is a known wind up merchant (ie cheat), [/b]but without seeing it I don't know whether to be angry at Gowling for reacting or Rhead for going down like he'd been shot! I can't say for sure that he was overreacting, but Lincoln players congratulating him after the card came out suggests so. That incident aside, we were comfortably the better team and should still have won, 10 men or not. Disley was fantastic in the middle and Bogle's goal was the finish of a man who once a bit more polished, will play higher.

But my man (or child) of the day goes to the 7 stone Lincoln fan who got really angry at something or other, just after someone else had been kicked out. It was fucking hilarious. If only there was a vine of it!

I recall Rhead playing for Mansfield at BP the last time we met. He came on as a second half sub and the first thing he did when he walked onto the pitch was to elbow Pearson in the ribs on the blindside of the ref and linno. This was before play had even resumed and was obviously an attempt to wind up and intimidate Sean. Rhead is an animal with limited ability but he has a function in battering opposing centre backs and being a target man. I'm pleased PH has a different approach to our game and I would hate to have to rely on playing the likes of Rhead in our team and adopting those tactics.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 30, 2015, 12:12pm; Reply: 86
I bet rhead is Damon's best customer the fat cuunt
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 30, 2015, 12:34pm; Reply: 87
Just seen the highlights and we outplayed them with only 10 men,

We have got a team that never gives up,

We will get the results and shut the moaners up very soon,

Can't wait to see us beat Boreham Wood next week,

I wish I could get to more home games but that is not possible.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, August 30, 2015, 1:21pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from grimsby pete
Just seen the highlights and we outplayed them with only 10 men,

We have got a team that never gives up,

We will get the results and shut the moaners up very soon,

I wish I could get to more home games but that is not possible.

Do the highlights show what went on before Gowling grabbed fatty?
Posted by: Hagrid, August 30, 2015, 1:23pm; Reply: 89
No they dont, they follow the ball
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, August 30, 2015, 1:46pm; Reply: 90
Re-enacted below

[img]http://amarkedman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Choke-the-Chicken.jpg[/img]
Posted by: GrahamH, August 30, 2015, 2:33pm; Reply: 91
thinks it needs a bit more meat on it though LOL
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 30, 2015, 3:04pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Do the highlights show what went on before Gowling grabbed fatty?

No the camera followed the ball which was near the corner flag,

Then you saw fatty laying flat on the floor,

Must have been hell of a push to knock him down ( the cheating bas tard)
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 30, 2015, 3:27pm; Reply: 93
I saw what happened gowling pushed him in the face, fat boy dived to the floor and gowling was offffff. I blame gowling he got what he deserved for reacting to the fat bass stard which ultimately cost us 2 more points.Lincoln were predictable and ordinary without the sending off we win the game.
Posted by: Ipswin, August 30, 2015, 3:49pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from grimsby pete

Don't put you old age pension on it Pete, they are a much better side than everyone expected, bet we don't win 2-0 at Tranmere

See you there mate

Posted by: gaz57, August 30, 2015, 5:27pm; Reply: 95
On the way home from Anglesey I was listening on line to the wife's phone but the battery went flat just after the sending off. I had to wait until I was in range of radio Lincolnshire prepared for the biased commentary. It was not that great to listen to they almost never mentioned town's players but it was very clear that they thought we  were by far the better team and sounded disappointed with the way Lincoln played especially against 10 men.
Posted by: ackomariner, August 30, 2015, 6:03pm; Reply: 96
https://mobile.twitter.com/irelandharry7/status/637707371729551360/video/1

Hope it works , best I can find
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 30, 2015, 6:07pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from Ipswin

Don't put you old age pension on it Pete, they are a much better side than everyone expected, bet we don't win 2-0 at Tranmere

See you there mate

After all those away wins last season Swin,

We are due one for this so why not start next Saturday. :)
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, August 30, 2015, 6:07pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from Ipswin

See you there mate

By thr time we play at Tranmere hopefully it won't matter we will already be up  :) :) :)

Posted by: grimsby pete, August 30, 2015, 6:18pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

By thr time we play at Tranmere hopefully it won't matter we will already be up  :) :) :)

Plus that result was more down to Tranmere being rubbish than Boreham Wood being good.imo
Posted by: Ipswin, August 30, 2015, 6:42pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from grimsby pete

After all those away wins last season Swin,

We are due one for this so why not start next Saturday. :)

I sincerely hope we do Pete but then we should have three away wins and 9 away points under our belt already after all they were all against lower clubs and we are favourites to win the thing aren't we?

I dread to think what might happen when we play the better sides away

Posted by: mariner tommy, August 30, 2015, 6:54pm; Reply: 101
Just been on the Vital Lincoln forum and copied this post-

Grimsby are on their way to promotion; everything about them screams champions from the individual players, the team ethic and the fans; confidence is tangible, today it was visible; miles better than us.

I sincerely hope He's right.

UTM
Posted by: AndyGTFC, August 30, 2015, 7:32pm; Reply: 102
We absolutely dominated Lincoln, wasn't impressed with them at all. Very little pace or quality and were time wasting and kicking the ball away trying to keep a lead against ten men. If we had kept eleven men on the pitch then I suspect it would've been a comfortable win.

That is what made Gowling's sending off and penalty so infuriating, they'd done absolutely nothing up to that point. Shouldn't have let himself get involved.

Credit to Paul Hurst for the change though, he got it wrong against Torquay but got it right here and there was only ever one team looking to win it. A point is good considering the circumstances but we've dropped too many already so a win tomorrow is definitely needed
Posted by: nightrider, August 30, 2015, 10:48pm; Reply: 103
Town fans in full voice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNztTNlrh3o

When you think about it, what Town player didn't run their socks off yesterday?
Pearson was a rock, Nsiala did well, full backs were great, Disley was outstanding, the front two never stopped and Nathan Arnold, what can you say.... what a player. Never stopped running.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, August 30, 2015, 10:52pm; Reply: 104
Not seen any more vids of yesterday, felt like it was rocking in there.
Posted by: TAGG, August 31, 2015, 5:29pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from barralad

Are you still of the opinion that we don't need competition at the Goalkeeping position????
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 6:27pm