Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Belfast Town, October 6, 2015, 11:48pm
Flights booked. Can't wait. My first - and last - time there. Wonder what the odds are on us winning 5-0!!!
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, October 7, 2015, 1:04am; Reply: 1
Quoted from Belfast Town
Flights booked. Can't wait. My first - and last - time there. Wonder what the odds are on us winning 5-0!!!

we do need to exorcise that night!
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, October 7, 2015, 6:57am; Reply: 2
Train booked from Bristol at 9am. Bristol Mariners on tour....
Posted by: lukeo, October 7, 2015, 7:18am; Reply: 3
am I the only 1 a bit nervous about this one?  they always seem to do good against the 'sodomist clubs'
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, October 7, 2015, 8:44am; Reply: 4
sodomist clubs!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 7, 2015, 8:49am; Reply: 5
On the 07:35 train from York, via Peterborough and Ipswich.
Posted by: coxy, October 7, 2015, 11:09am; Reply: 6
Wish I was going although am sure Bristol mariner will be representing us! Very vocally 😂.

This could be the big turning game of the season a win there and a few draws as team around us playing each other could really me the table look favable to
Us.

Utm
Posted by: barralad, October 7, 2015, 11:21am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Les Brechin
On the 07:35 train from York, via Peterborough and Ipswich.

You must have got a cheap fare for that route mate? ;D
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 7, 2015, 11:26am; Reply: 8
Quoted from barralad

You must have got a cheap fare for that route mate? ;D

Yeah it was quite a bit cheaper than the way it wants you to go (ie into London and out again). Doesn't take that much longer either and we have an hour in Peterborough about 9ish which will be ideal for a spot of brekkie at the Wetherspoons near the station there. It was £37.45 return with my railcard which is pretty good I think.
Posted by: MawsleyMariner, October 7, 2015, 12:58pm; Reply: 9
I take it were ok to pay on the gate?
Posted by: Welwynmariner, October 7, 2015, 1:29pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from MawsleyMariner
I take it were ok to pay on the gate?

It was last time we went (last match of the 203/14 season) and we're going on Saturday.

Finding the ground can be a challenge - it's in the middle of a run down housing estate. It's probably the worst pitch I've ever seen us play on too, so don't have too many hopes.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 7, 2015, 1:54pm; Reply: 11
I got a horrible feeling that there will be flash floods in Braintree on Saturday and the game will be called off.

Things have always conspired against me and this will be my first visit to Braintree. The season of the 5-0 defeat I was all booked on a minibus to go but was rushed into hospital the day before and spent that day in the operating theatre having my head cut open! The following season, again I was all booked to go on the Saturday, but the game was postponed and my brother had bought me tickets for a Christmas present to see Milton Jones at The Auditorium on the evening it was rearranged for. The next season when we drew 0-0 last game I was on a stag do in Nottingham (although if there had been anything riding on that game, then I would have gone) and last season it was when I was away on holiday!
Posted by: Magsinrio, October 7, 2015, 1:57pm; Reply: 12
Just hope the ref is better than the one last season!! Re the odds for 5 0 to town, I can tell you it was 40/1 last night!!
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 7, 2015, 2:25pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Magsinrio
Just hope the ref is better than the one last season!! Re the odds for 5 0 to town, I can tell you it was 40/1 last night!!

On Oddschecker I can only see 3 bookies offering correct score odds. 5-0 is 66/1 with Bet365, 90/1 with Ladbrokes and 100/1 with Betfair.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/non-league/national-league/braintree-town-v-grimsby/correct-score
Posted by: Belfast Town, October 7, 2015, 8:44pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Les Brechin

On Oddschecker I can only see 3 bookies offering correct score odds. 5-0 is 66/1 with Bet365, 90/1 with Ladbrokes and 100/1 with Betfair.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/non-league/national-league/braintree-town-v-grimsby/correct-score

Tempting!!
Posted by: Magsinrio, October 7, 2015, 8:44pm; Reply: 15
There are a few more giving the odds now including Paddy Power and William Hills giving 125/1
Posted by: chaos33, October 7, 2015, 9:24pm; Reply: 16
I think one or two are living in a dream world if they think there's much chance of it being 5-0. The odds are as big as that for a reason.
Probably our toughest away game this season so far after Wrexham.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 7, 2015, 9:30pm; Reply: 17
Think they're a big strong outfit. Got some big unit called Akinola up front who is supposed to be a handful. Agree with chaos it'll be tough but see no reason we can't go and get a result. Sounds like a Tomlinson-JPP kind of game to me.
Posted by: Tommy, October 7, 2015, 9:38pm; Reply: 18
Braintree have got the best defensive record in the division.

But they're record at home isn't great (W2 D2 L3).
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 7, 2015, 9:39pm; Reply: 19
I was thinking that that first time at Braintree needed exorcising, until I read Les' reason for not attending. Strewth, talk about perspective.

But still, it'd be nice to come full circle. ;)
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 7, 2015, 9:42pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I was thinking that that first time at Braintree needed exorcising, until I read Les' reason for not attending. Strewth, talk about perspective.

But still, it'd be nice to come full circle. ;)

I thought the same. Always thought how horrendous and terrifying having to go through an operation like that must be and then you find out it got him out of going to THAT game at Braintree  ;)
Posted by: Hagrid, October 7, 2015, 10:26pm; Reply: 21
My 16th birthday present was a trip to braintree. Could have been better!!😂
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 8, 2015, 7:16am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I thought the same. Always thought how horrendous and terrifying having to go through an operation like that must be and then you find out it got him out of going to THAT game at Braintree  ;)

I can remember coming round from the operation in the evening and hearing Braintree 5 Grimsby Town 0 on the radio and thought that I must still be in theatre until I heard the result again the next morning.

This is something that I will never forget though, is that I was sat in my chair next to my bed the following morning with my head bandaged up, feeling sorry for myself when I heard that Matty Dawson (Mariner Matty) had died overnight. I'm not ashamed to say it reduced me to tears.Now THAT really puts things into perspective.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 8, 2015, 10:46am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Les Brechin

I can remember coming round from the operation in the evening and hearing Braintree 5 Grimsby Town 0 on the radio and thought that I must still be in theatre until I heard the result again the next morning.

This is something that I will never forget though, is that I was sat in my chair next to my bed the following morning with my head bandaged up, feeling sorry for myself when I heard that Matty Dawson (Mariner Matty) had died overnight. I'm not ashamed to say it reduced me to tears.Now THAT really puts things into perspective.

I'd forgotten that came out the next morning. Amazing to think it's already more than 4 years ago. Youre right about perspective. We all love that Shankly quote but hopefully nobody actually belives it.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 8, 2015, 12:48pm; Reply: 24
This will be a difficult game I've seen them on the highlights show and they look very strong, I also thought Cheltenham looked good too. Let's hope we can be victorious at Braintree!
Posted by: southernmariner, October 8, 2015, 6:45pm; Reply: 25
That game !! Was the only time we've ever walked out on a game, on around 65mins that was it couldn't take no more. And that's going back to watching town from the 70's
Posted by: Mrbump53, October 9, 2015, 3:28pm; Reply: 26
Think the home fans are worried about being outnumbered as they have been out in the town trying to get people to attend. Think (like others) it will be tough but if the ball gets passed around like it was on Tuesday then the chances should come.

Booting the ball up to a single person will probably play into their hands and they will control the game instead of GTFC doing so.

Lets be positive though and look to take the 3 points. :)
Print page generated: May 8, 2024, 3:57am