Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 9, 2015, 8:51am
14 years ago today. One of the best results/evening in Mariners history.

[youtube]bRt1KMGYTe8[/youtube]
Posted by: Badger57, October 9, 2015, 9:03am; Reply: 1
I get message,  A plugin is needed to display this content.
Doesn't say what plugin I need though. Can anyone help please? I'm using a Samsung tablet.
Posted by: Maringer, October 9, 2015, 9:05am; Reply: 2
It will be flash which you won't be able to get on a tablet. Dolphin browser used to have a flash plug in (I think) but I'm not sure if this still works or not.

Best use a PC to view it.
Posted by: pizzzza, October 9, 2015, 9:08am; Reply: 3
Watching that still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, everytime  :)
Posted by: Badger57, October 9, 2015, 9:12am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Maringer
It will be flash which you won't be able to get on a tablet. Dolphin browser used to have a flash plug in (I think) but I'm not sure if this still works or not.

Best use a PC to view it.

Ok, thanks.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 9, 2015, 9:42am; Reply: 5
Quoted from pizzzza
Watching that still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, everytime  :)

Me too, one of the most memorable goals I've seen since supporting Town in the mid 70s, I was actually at this game too, what a night!
Posted by: Badger57, October 9, 2015, 9:49am; Reply: 6
Brings a tear to my eyes....quite literally!  :o
Will we ever see the likes again?  :-/
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 9, 2015, 9:53am; Reply: 7
Time stood still momentarily until everyone realised what had actually happened.

Only been a couple of other times like that in my time supporting Town. The other times were when Shaun Taylor hit the post with a header late on when we beat Exeter 2-1 last game of the 90/91 season, and Wayne Burnetts goal at Wembley.
Posted by: jaymariner, October 9, 2015, 10:46am; Reply: 8
Wow! Always puts a smile on my face. I remember listening to it on my radio in bed as it was a school night and ended up running round the house screaming like an idiot
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 9, 2015, 10:59am; Reply: 9
Quoted from jaymariner
Wow! Always puts a smile on my face. I remember listening to it on my radio in bed as it was a school night and ended up running round the house screaming like an idiot

I was at the game and I don't think Ive ever heard the radio commentary of the goals - particularly of course the winner. Is it available anywhere to listen to?
Posted by: Maringer, October 9, 2015, 11:07am; Reply: 10
I was at the game but was really poorly at the time and can't say I enjoyed the experience too much. I remember shivering through extra time, wrapped up in about ten layers of clothing and barely having the energy to celebrate Jevons' winner!
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 9, 2015, 11:16am; Reply: 11

I was at the game and I don't think Ive ever heard the radio commentary of the goals - particularly of course the winner. Is it available anywhere to listen to?

They played the commentary of the winner on Radio Humberside after the Gateshead game when Jevvo was interviewed about it and I listened to it whilst drving home. First time I had heard it too. I'm sure it will be somewhere on the Humberside website.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, October 9, 2015, 11:20am; Reply: 12

After the game against Gateshead on Tuesday, they interviewed Phil Jevons and the commentary of the goal was played.

Might still be available to 'listen again'. Sorry I can't check on my work PC.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 9, 2015, 11:37am; Reply: 13
The downside that night was that we only beat another tinpot club that had never won anything.

I persauded 2 Liverpool fans from work to go.  They knew the pubs and parking etc.  They were not bothered about going as to them it was only a game against a lower league team.  

As I drove home, I had the "3 day fixed grin" and was so happy.  They both sat there with glum faces and did not say a word all the way back to York.

Just to cheer them up, I did mention again that an ex-Evertonian  had scored the last minute winner.  (This made up for their joke about the preparations for the moon landings being carried out at Goodison Park:  "no atmosphere there").

Oh such a happy and successful night.
Posted by: forza ivano, October 9, 2015, 11:51am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Les Brechin
Time stood still momentarily until everyone realised what had actually happened.
y.

DIDN'T FOR ME  :) i was right behind the flight of it and we were up and jumping a split second before it hit the net. just one of the best nights ever
Posted by: Heisenberg, October 9, 2015, 12:18pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Les Brechin

Only been a couple of other times like that in my time supporting Town. The other times were when Shaun Taylor hit the post with a header late on when we beat Exeter 2-1 last game of the 90/91 season, and Wayne Burnetts goal at Wembley.

Yep, I'd agree with all 3 of those.  I also remember from that Exeter game my mate's dad shouting to Gordon Hobson "you wouldn't f#cking dare!" when he pulled the trigger to shoot at one point!  Thank god he didn't score either.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 9, 2015, 12:22pm; Reply: 16

As stated it was repeated on Tuesday night and will be on I-player for a month, sometime around or after the 10 o'clock mark.
Posted by: bax, October 9, 2015, 1:58pm; Reply: 17
I wrote this four years ago now, but interview with Jevons and David Beharall (who gave away their penalty) looking book on the game. Sorry if you've seen it before.

https://toogoodtogodown.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/liverpool-1-grimsby-2-10-years-on-the-night-the-mariners-toppled-the-cup-holders/
Posted by: ackomariner, October 9, 2015, 2:11pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from forza ivano

DIDN'T FOR ME  :) i was right behind the flight of it and we were up and jumping a split second before it hit the net. just one of the best nights ever

Didn't for me either, I was just right of the goal, 3rd row from the front....brilliant  8)

Also got my new Subaru impreza in the morning and paid a little lad a tenner to look after it in a little car park behind the kop, and when I got back to the car the lad was sat against my front wheel still keeping an eye on it, so gave him another tenner  :)
Posted by: mighty_mariners, October 9, 2015, 3:58pm; Reply: 19

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p032tqhj#play[/url]

Interview with Jevons starts around 2 hours 43 mins with commentary of his goal about 50 seconds later.
Posted by: Teestogreen, October 9, 2015, 4:05pm; Reply: 20
When that goal went in, I was listening to the radio commentary, and I cracked my head on the kitchen ceiling.
Posted by: MarinerMart, October 9, 2015, 4:05pm; Reply: 21
I was there and I too was in line with it when he hit it......OMG......it's going in  ;D ;D ;D lol...never forget that night!!!
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 9, 2015, 4:13pm; Reply: 22
Thanks for your help - I have now heard Burnsy's commentary. It was good, but not as good as the TV commentator or better still live at the ground of course. Hard to believe we were just about to start plummeting down the leagues, but nights like that give us hope that a proper football club like ours will see glory days again.
Posted by: barralad, October 9, 2015, 6:06pm; Reply: 23
I had an appointment at DPOW hospital on the morning of the game where I was told I had heart disease. My Mrs asked if Id be able to go to the game and the doc said it was OK so long as I didnt get too excited. I will never forget the moment that goal went in. Best single moment in 47 years of watching The Mariners.
Posted by: SpudUDontLike, October 9, 2015, 11:30pm; Reply: 24
I showed the goal to my kids (8 & 5) a few months back. Even now got too choked up to speak. They looked at me puzzled and wandered off. They'll get it one day.
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 12:50pm