2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Stew0_0
September 4, 2018, 11:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,199
Gold Stars: 35
Ok guys will take one for the team and admit i went and £5 well spent.
1st half we gave Notts too much respect, started with what looked like a 4-4-2 with Robles inaffective up front, we were outnumbered in midfield and Fox really struggling against there big signing winger from Crawley. Hendrie keeps backing off against there winger Alexandra who slots in. We change with a 451 with Robles constantly turning up at right back and Thomas having to work alone forray up front.
Half time thank god.

Second half although initially same 11 we come out with new vigur.
Fox has worked the winger get out and starts to outmark him and we finally find out the Notts slow defence has a turning circle of a tanker so start dinking some balls into the corners and in behind to hurt them. Then introducing Hess for Robles and we get a grip of the game.  A clever ball round the back sees a clogger hack down Vern and penalty.  Rose completes the formalities then game on. Akheem and cook add extra nuisance and we push on. The superb front leader,  Thomas smashes the bar then with 5 to go from a corner the keeper spills a shot and Hess completes the turnaround. Town see out the strange 6 minutes injury time and complete a moral boosting win.

In conclusion we need Thomas back from suspension and in the team flanked by cook and Vernum as he links an otherwise small frontline superbly. We are generally solid at the back and strong in middle with still Pringle to add.

We played well enough in the second half to deserve to win, we gave some fringe players some minutes and bagged the win against a strong 11 from County that would have been keen to impress the new boss Kewell. Only 764 there but glad i went in the end.

Hope we take momentum to Bury on Saturday now.
Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
hheh2
September 5, 2018, 12:05am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Thomas seems promising cant wait until he starts banging in some goals UTM

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
arryarryarry
September 5, 2018, 12:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Stew0_0
Ok guys will take one for the team and admit i went and £5 well spent.
1st half we gave Notts too much respect, started with what looked like a 4-4-2 with Robles inaffective up front, we were outnumbered in midfield and Fox really struggling against there big signing winger from Crawley. Hendrie keeps backing off against there winger Alexandra who slots in. We change with a 451 with Robles constantly turning up at right back and Thomas having to work alone forray up front.
Half time thank god.

Second half although initially same 11 we come out with new vigur.
Fox has worked the winger get out and starts to outmark him and we finally find out the Notts slow defence has a turning circle of a tanker so start dinking some balls into the corners and in behind to hurt them. Then introducing Hess for Robles and we get a grip of the game.  A clever ball round the back sees a clogger hack down Vern and penalty.  Rose completes the formalities then game on. Akheem and cook add extra nuisance and we push on. The superb front leader,  Thomas smashes the bar then with 5 to go from a corner the keeper spills a shot and Hess completes the turnaround. Town see out the strange 6 minutes injury time and complete a moral boosting win.

In conclusion we need Thomas back from suspension and in the team flanked by cook and Vernum as he links an otherwise small frontline superbly. We are generally solid at the back and strong in middle with still Pringle to add.

We played well enough in the second half to deserve to win, we gave some fringe players some minutes and bagged the win against a strong 11 from County that would have been keen to impress the new boss Kewell. Only 764 there but glad i went in the end.

Hope we take momentum to Bury on Saturday now.
Utm

Wouldn't disagree with most of that apart from giving County too much respect, I just thought they looked far better than us and we were basically rubbish, I don't think Hendrie is a right back, looked poor against their winger.

Second half, not sure if they had a bollocking but we were a different team, played much better and could have scored a few more however Russell in goal had to be on his toes and made three very good saves. I think Thomas may make a big difference up front.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
Mighty_Mariner
September 5, 2018, 1:02am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Posted on the 'Tomorrow Evening' thread but probably more relevent on here.

My take on tonight.... It's interesting how differently we all see the same game.

I don't mind admitting I was there tonight, albeit in a working capacity.

First Half: Thought Notts County started brightly and bossed it for the first 20-25 minutes and deservedly took the lead through a decent Amesandra goal. Town came back into it and played some decent stuff leading up to half time and finished the stronger. Could have equalised through a well-crafted Wes Thomas effort that just bounced wide when he hit over the keeper. 

Second half: Much like the first half early on, Notts had a good 5 or 10 minute spell but Town took control from there on out. Mitch Rose had a stormer of a second half and played some top class balls over the top, one of which led to Thomas hitting the bar on the half-volley and the other leading to Vernam being fouled for the penalty. Was very impressed with Towns energy, creativity and endeavor, they pressed County high up the pitch and forced them into either making a mistake or punting it high upfield which Whitmore and Famewo ate up!

What impressed me most second half was some of the interplay between the players, its clear they've been working on their technical attributes in training. There was one moment in the second where Town went from defending a corner to having a shot on goal with 3 or 4 quick incisive passes, would have been a terrific goal. 

For what it's worth:

Russell: Couldn't do much about the goal. Made some good saves, commanded his area well and distribution very good at times. 7/10

Hendrie: I really like this lad. Seems to get better with each appearance, strong, mobile, gets forward very well and good on the ball. RHJ will have a job getting back in IMO. 7.5/10

Whitmore: Impressive again. Won everything in the air, rarely loses out in a tackle and very positionally aware. A rock solid, no nonsense centre half. 7/10

Famewo: More cultured that Whitmore but equally as impressive. Very assured in the ball, at one point beating two men to bring the ball out of defence to set up a Town attack. Fast, athletic and an excellent foil for Whitmore. 7.5/10

Fox: Eased into the game, sensibly so given his recent return from injury. Provided a nice balance on the left and got forward well. Seemed to communicate well with Hendrie in knowing when to bomb forward and when to hang back. If he can stay fit then we've got 2 very good full backs for this level. 7/10

Rose: Quiet first half but probably his best display in a Town shirt second half. Controlled the ball well, some excellent, accurate first-time balls forward and seemed to thrive with the armband. Really liked how he filled in a full back when Hendrie went forward and created some good chances from deep. 8/10

Clifton: Typical Harry performance, full of energy and running, created some decent chances and worked well with Rose. I'd just like to see him start to effect games a little more but that will come with experience. 6.5/10

Vernam: Good display, quick, skillful, creative and hard working. Deserved a goal tonight but they'll come. Has to be in the starting XI regularly for me. 7.5/10

Hooper: One decent run first half but other than that pretty anonymous. When Town were attacking first half, a ball was played into JJ but he was so static it was intercepted easily and County broke upfield, it only needed him to be on his toes and move toward the ball but it seemed he backed out when he realised it was a 50/50. For me he has to show a lot more to justify a starting berth. He gets nowhere near the starting XI when everyone is available IMO. A weak link. 5/10

Robles: Full of pressing and endeavour and actually showed some good strength, pace and technique first half, better when he moved out to the right. A raw talent but certainly something there to work with and develop without doubt. More impressed than I thought I would be but still a way of the starting XI for me. 6.5/10

Thomas: Had a good game tonight. Showed some excellent positional sense and movement to beat the offside trap first half, chip over the on-rushing keeper and was unlucky to see it bounce narrowly wide. More good movement to get on the end of a Rose ball over the top, got in front of his market and only the crossbar stopped him opening his GTFC account with a great half-volley. You can see his experience, his movement and hold up play is excellent at times and he brings others into play well. If he gets decent service he will get goals this season, of that I have no doubt. 8/10

Subs:

Cook: Some bright moments and decent interplay but didn't have the impact I thought he might against a tiring defence. Interesting that he played on the left which is where I can see him fitting in best once Thomas is over his suspension and up to speed. 6/10

Hessenthaler : Another cracking display from the young lad and for me has been one of the best players this season. Has all the attributes to be an excellent midfielder for us. Provided energy, drive and creativity. I can only see him going from strength to strength. Deserved his goal. 7/10

A Rose
: Got 10 minutes at the end and did well. Looked nervous initially and showed his inexperience by putting the ball out of play when under no pressure. Grew in confidence though and almost scored with a terrific turn and shot from 20 yards that the keeper did well to turn around the post at full stretch which led the corner in which we scored the winning goal. Will be interesting to see what part he plays this season but I get the impression we'll see him in the squad more often than not and could start to get some minutes the more the season wears on. All the attributes to do very well but will need time to develop, you can't teach pace and this lad has it in abundance. He will terrify league 2 defenders. Under the right coaching team to develop into a really exciting player for us. 6.5/10

I know this competition is detested by most and I wholeheartedly respect everybody's opinion, but as others have said it could be just the right format to develop attributes within the team. We either throw in the towel and play the kids or use it to our advantage & utilise the competition to develop the team and I feel that's what we did tonight. 

All in all, It was a very good run out against a strong, experienced Notts County side that were all out to impress their new manager. 

A lot of positive to take from tonight in my opinion and you could see from the goal celebrations from the players, subs, management /coaching  team the value they place in building a winning mentality, regardless of the competition.... League 2, FA Cup, Checkatrade Trophy, Lincs Senior Cup etc etc.... A win is a win and we have a good platform to build upon. 

#UTM

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
Garth
September 5, 2018, 4:37am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Agree with Mighty, whatever the hate surrounding this competition I thoroughly enjoyed the evening.
Stand outs for me we're Vernon,Rose, Thomas and Russel,

Actually had some decent atmosphere in the Ponny tonight whipped up by the few and it seemed to transfer itself to the team.

Should give confidence to the team for a win on Saturday, good to see we have two strong keepers and a tactically astute manager.

Two yellow cards to the County bench,what was that all about lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
Garth
September 5, 2018, 4:54am

Season Ticket Holder
Just to add, what promising players we have in Clifton and A Rose, tonight both were a credit whereas JJ looked weak in comparison and to me at the moment does not deserve to start games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
lukeo
September 5, 2018, 5:52am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
£10k in our back pockets, a win and we move on with our heads held high. I hate the format and would never go to a game but winning is still important as £10k has basically paid the club what the attendance has lost and a bit more (does that make sense?) I hope we do well in the competition as aslong as we make a profit from it, it can only be a good thing.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
LondonMariner43
September 5, 2018, 7:27am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
All sounds very encouraging.  I feel confident that when the full squad is available and fit and working in the right formation, we could put together a decent run.

So far we have had injuries to key players, suspensions and new players who need to get match fiit.

For me the key thing is to avoid a drop in morale by fans or players in the next 2-3 weeks until Jolley can play the best 11 from the squad he has signed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
grimsby pete
September 5, 2018, 12:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from Garth

Two yellow cards to the County bench,what was that all about lol

Do the yellow count towards the league total and if anybody got sent off do they just miss this compietion or are they suspend for league games,?

Seeing as Thomas could play while suspended you would think it would work the same way

Does anybody know ?

OR

Does anybody care ?  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
Garth
September 5, 2018, 1:54pm

Season Ticket Holder
Kewell said on his post match interview that it was just two Aussies arguing as Aussies do (Anthony Limbrick) I presume.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.