4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
March 16, 2019, 5:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Listened to Jolly earlier in the week and he was talking of Summer targets and plans. ....looks like the plans included starting the holidays early....no real drive today...no real passion on the pitch, in the stands or on the sidelines.....over 70 mins at home without a shot on target or any real chances before he chooses to make a sub.

If we have given up on this season now then at least start giving Rose a good blooding and Pollock and maybe step up other members of the youth squad to the first team squad

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Gtfc8279
March 16, 2019, 5:23pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +23
IMHO they don’t look like they’re on the beach. They battled today until the end, in horrendous conditions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
Cod Cheeks
March 16, 2019, 6:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
Working hard and getting stuck in through those conditions doesn't suggest so to me.

Weather was ugly, Northampton were uglier and we dug out an ugly draw, clean sheet and stopped the bad run.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
mrsd
March 16, 2019, 6:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +144
MJ had a right paddy on the touch line so I don’t think there was a lack of passion there either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
MuddyWaters
March 16, 2019, 6:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
I thought that was one of our better home performances in recent weeks - playing an ugly team in ugly conditions with incompetent officials.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
mariner tommy
March 16, 2019, 6:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,869
Gold Stars: 12
In those conditions it was never going to be memorable but every one stuck to their task and we’re good for a point.
Scrappy from start to finish but I enjoyed it to be honest.
Can’t fault anyone for effort today.
My stand out players today, Collins, Öhman and Hess. They never put a foot wrong all game.
UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
jamesgtfc
March 16, 2019, 7:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
I thought Collins answered his critics superbly today. Commanding performance from him. First half especially, Öhman missed a few headers but he won the important battles.  Ring appeared a bit rattled from the early challenge (which I didn't see so can't comment on) but certainly grew into the game.

We put a few good balls into the box but against another big, physical team I thought we lacked someone up front to compete with that physicality.

I thought the last 20-30 minutes was crying out for the pace of Akheem today and Dennis seemed to spend most of his 10 minutes on the pitch tying his laces.  Just as Embleton was starting to have an effect on the game, we brought him off so for me, the substitutions were wrong today.

Still, it stopped the rot in conditions that favoured the more physical team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
HertsGTFC
March 16, 2019, 8:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I thought Collins answered his critics superbly today. Commanding performance from him. First half especially, Öhman missed a few headers but he won the important battles.  Ring appeared a bit rattled from the early challenge (which I didn't see so can't comment on) but certainly grew into the game.

We put a few good balls into the box but against another big, physical team I thought we lacked someone up front to compete with that physicality.

I thought the last 20-30 minutes was crying out for the pace of Akheem today and Dennis seemed to spend most of his 10 minutes on the pitch tying his laces.  Just as Embleton was starting to have an effect on the game, we brought him off so for me, the substitutions were wrong today.

Still, it stopped the rot in conditions that favoured the more physical team.

If there was a MOM for Town I think Collins would have been a good candidate, I thought he played well today.

I don’t get Jolley’s changes sometimes putting Dennis with less than 10 mins to go meant he could have little impact in reality. The game needed some pace to open it up and Rose on for the last 20 would have made sense.

What also grinds my gears is before a sub comes on they have to spend 5 f&@ing minutes looking at a plan in a file with Limbrick. If he needs a diagram to explain what he wants a player to do it makes me wonder how good a coach he actually is.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 16, 2019, 8:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
What is the story with Welsh? This hamstring seems to be taking a very long time to get over. I know they can be difficult but the bloke hasn’t figured much even before this. Is he still part of Jolley’s long term picture?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
Maringer
March 16, 2019, 8:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Ring wasn't at all hurt by the challenge. It was obvious he was going to get body checked and he knew it so he went down without any great injury. I don't think the challenge was anywhere near his face, though he was holding his head. A booking the correct decision, I reckon.

The defenders played well in general and dealt with the dozens of long throws into the box very well. However, it was very much a 5-3-2 rather than a 3-5-2 much of the time and this showed in our lack of attacking threat. They were bigger and stronger throughout the team and found much too much easy possession in midfield in the second half. Luckily, they were as toothless up front as we were.

I can't really see the point in playing 3-5-2 the way  we're doing it at present as we're effectively ending up with 5 defenders yet still finding ourselves short in midfield. If we're going to ultra defensive, might as well pack the midfield with a 4-5-1 to keep possession in that area (or have a 4-1-4-1). My concern is that you'd expect Hendrie and Ring to be our wing-backs next year and neither has exactly revelled in the role yet. Perhaps some different players in the back 3 might make a difference, but I'm not convinced.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.