5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Malta_Mariner_90
September 7, 2019, 5:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Oof that was tough to watch.

Credit to Crewe though played some lovely football as opposed to our version of it. Would be kind to call it agricultural.
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
September 7, 2019, 5:25pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

The penalty miss by us was a game changer, it was a chance to put them under pressure and unfortunately we didn't take it.

We move on now, still a great start to our season.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 44
sonofmadeleymariner
September 7, 2019, 5:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
Beaten by a better team today, that is it really. They passed the ball round us while we were limited this week to just kicking it long. I do think we got our tactics wrong we should of pressed higher and forced them to play more long balls I thought their CBs were a little suspect on the ball the few times we did press them but it is what it is, when you miss a peno in the first half you know its going to be a hard day don't you.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 44
MuddyWaters
September 7, 2019, 5:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Generally behind Crewe in all aspects of the game. That said the penalty would have changed their mindset but too many individuals not at the races, particularly Ohman, Green and Ogbu.

Also wondering why Vernam only got five minutes and we never seemed to try and stifle their midfield. No doubt Crewe are decent and we go again.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 44
Perkins
September 7, 2019, 5:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
No complaints, not up to our usual standard today but beaten by a side that really know how to pass a ball.
Probably the best footballing side we will see at BP all season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 44
AussieMariner
September 7, 2019, 5:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
2 very different styles - their patient build up vs our more direct approach. They had us chasing shadows but we had our chances and it was one of those days s when wit just didn’t fall for us.
Hanson got to everything first but hardly ever found a Town player.
Still looking effective and if the penalty had gone in would have been a very different second half.
Crewe definitely one of the better sides but I feel the stats reflected the different styles rather than being outclassed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 44
AdamHaddock
September 7, 2019, 5:45pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,803
Gold Stars: 25
Crewe looked a slick passing side, using width to good effect, especially down the right. The first goal was a good move but disappointed that it went straight through McKeown at the near post. The second was a well executed counter attack (6 on 2?) , well finished. The other thing Crewe did was to be one of the few opponents so far to nullify Hanson, exposing how little else we have going forward.
The penalty was tame and an easy height for the keeper although the save probably looked good for the cameras.

An off day against a good side. No need to go overboard with criticism (except to say that Ogbu, for all his endeavour and energy has the ball control of a Dalek).

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 44
Spatchcock
September 7, 2019, 5:47pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +32
Gold Stars: 10
We were very pedestrian with shades of couldn't be arsed.

They were better, we were poor, they took their chances and we fluffed a penalty.

Can't believe how cold it was in the Ponny.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 44
Gaffer58
September 7, 2019, 5:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
Whether this is a criticism of Jolley or not but, shouldn't he have been aware of their style, they've been playing it for the last 20 years, and had a plan to stop them. Or do we make the opposition worry about us more then us about them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 44
golfer
September 7, 2019, 6:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,417
Gold Stars: 115
Oh dear.-that was schoolboy football. With the wind and at home we played too defensive -don't think Hess or Cook entered their box in the first half. They played 2 skilful wingers who stayed out wide thus their midfield had all the time in the world to be creative. Basic football - keep ball on ground against the wind.They showed us how to do it-so what did we do-up and under but with no under. What tactics did we use except big boot to Hanson-so predictable. One bad game-let it be the last one. Jolly get a plan B sorted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 44
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.