6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
January 25, 2020, 6:21pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Well cannot help but think that we committed the football equivalent of hara kiri today.
First half definitely the better side. Unlucky to go behind. Some excellent football-good use of width and two really well worked goals. The first was all about Vernam's drive and a clever strikers finish from Whitehouse after the Keeper couldn't deal with Vernam's power. The second gave us a glimpse of what Hanson will do if he gets the service from the flanks. Great header then reacted quickest when the Keeper parried.
Second half..nigh on inexplicable. We get the ball three yards from their corner flag. Glennon plays a nothing pass and ten seconds later it's in our net.
Under the cosh then and Clifton's gives the ball away resulting in a great finish by their  number 10.
Furious last ten minutes shots blocked appeals for penalties but like last week nothing stuck.
It's definitely better to watch but need to cut out unforced errors. Not equipped to "score one more than you"

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
headingly_mariner
January 25, 2020, 6:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Let’s not forgot we recently went on a long run without winning or scoring. Did alright first half, but we’re largely second best in the second half.

I’m sure we will get better.

I really think it’s a shame we couldn’t secure Gibson and robson for the season. Feel they will really be missed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 57
Mariner16
January 25, 2020, 7:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +478
Gold Stars: 4
The 2nd wasnt down to Glennon, we were excrement scared of Nadesans pace, as we have none at the back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 57
KingstonMariner
January 25, 2020, 7:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Definitely threw that game away. Lost count of the number of times we turned an attacking position into defence by players not taking responsibility to be positive. Under pressure!? Pass the ball back to put a teammate in the same position, and he does the same. Rather than risk losing the ball in the final quarter we risk losing it near our penalty area. Olly’s got to get that train of thought cut out amongst the players. Good work wasted.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 57
forza ivano
January 25, 2020, 7:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,136
Gold Stars: 265
Schizophrenic performance.when we were good we were very good, but when we were bad, which was for far too long, we were rubbish.kept giving the ball away and were looking rocky every time they attacked. They were quick skilful and clever a nd we just couldn't deal with it. Dont think me holloway will be very pleased with what he saw. Glennon had a nightmare and the other lad from burnley wasnt much better. Whitehouse was a revelation, whilst Hanson's return was s massive plus.venam looked really good again.
Ohman and Clifton summed up the performance, made good tackles and interceptions but made some really dangerous mistakes and were blody awful when they tried to pass it. Very frustrating and it makes tuesday a must win again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 57
MuddyWaters
January 25, 2020, 7:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,882
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from forza ivano
Schizophrenic performance.when we were good we were very good, but when we were bad, which was for far too long, we were rubbish.kept giving the ball away and were looking rocky every time they attacked. They were quick skilful and clever a nd we just couldn't deal with it. Dont think me holloway will be very pleased with what he saw. Glennon had a nightmare and the other lad from burnley wasnt much better. Whitehouse was a revelation, whilst Hanson's return was s massive plus.venam looked really good again.
Ohman and Clifton summed up the performance, made good tackles and interceptions but made some really dangerous mistakes and were blody awful when they tried to pass it. Very frustrating and it makes tuesday a must win again

I’m staggered that Benson is being slagged off for three minutes plus injury time.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 57
Rik e B
January 25, 2020, 7:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Yeah the papers wouldn't even give a rating for that short a cameo to be fair.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 57
HertsGTFC
January 25, 2020, 9:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Feel a bit frustrated that we keep passing it backwards when we’ve done well to get in a good position to hurt the opposition TBH but happy to accept that this is a team in complete transition but we are trying to play football and the period from their first goal to half time gave us a glimpse of what the future will hold hopefully.

It still feels we lack a bit of belief and confidence but that will come especially with IH in charge.

Some comments about individual players but digging out the likes of Glennon in his 3rd senior game Clifton who thankfully is learning a stable role and Benson who has only had a few minutes is really harsh.

The positives Chas... really dangerous , Whitehouse..... my MOM, Hanson..... for just being Hanson, Billy..... so good on the ball.... Glennon always looking to make a difference and we got back into the game and took the lead. I also thought Macca’s distribution looked ok too.

We’ll learn how to keep the ball better, we’ll learn to clear it rather than play it and we’ll learn to hold a lead and all being well build on it.

Just think back to how poor we where at the end of Jolley’s tenure....... context is everything when a side is in such transition.

Though on a personal note now Hanson is back I’d like to see us play 4-4-2

UTMM!!

P.S. ...... when did FIFA take trying to rip the shirt off a players back when he’s trying to get to the ball off the list of what could be considered a foul? Clearly the Crawley defenders are ahead of everyone on that rule change.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 57
sam gy
January 25, 2020, 9:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
If anyone is blaming Clifton for that goal they need their eyes testing. Glennon had plenty of options and chose to play a bad ball to Harry in the middle of the park.

Anyway, strange game. We looked brilliant for most of the 1st half and terrible in the 2nd.

I know Holloway has said he wants to see his players before bringing anyone in but today we literally had no strikers on the bench and to be honest no defenders either. We’re light on numbers and we need more impact players. Most of our supposed front 3 are either not good enough or injured a lot.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 57
TownSNAFU5
January 25, 2020, 10:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
We were also better in the first half against Exeter.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 57
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back On The Train

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.