Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jerseymariner, April 24, 2013, 7:03pm
From OS

Town: McKeown, Hatton, Thomas, Pearson, Miller, Disley, Hearn, Cook, Devitt, Naylor, Taylor.

Subs; Wood, Southwell, Thanoj, Hannah, Marshall.

Looks 442

Newport County: Pidgeley, Pipe, James, Yakubu, Marshull, Crow, Sandell, Flynn, Anthony, Jolley, Gilbey.

Subs: Julian Hughes, Willmott, Washington, Donnelly.

No O'Connor
Posted by: smokey111, April 24, 2013, 7:06pm; Reply: 1
No excuses tonight......that is a very strong team

UTFM
Posted by: Codswede, April 24, 2013, 7:12pm; Reply: 2
Naylor and Disley running the show in midfield... the mouth waters!!! UP THE MARINERS!
Posted by: Wembley 08, April 24, 2013, 7:18pm; Reply: 3
No Artus? Bit of a surprise
Posted by: GtfcGarner, April 24, 2013, 7:18pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Wembley 08

Injured is what I heard.
Posted by: Codswede, April 24, 2013, 7:19pm; Reply: 5
Also just seen one of the best tweets for a while:

to CodAlmighty: "I live in Belgium. Make sure they don't make an bottom of it would you?"

Haha. PLEASE don't make an bottom of it town!!!  ??)
Posted by: cod.gtfc, April 24, 2013, 7:24pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Wembley 08

JT says he is ill

has Niven had a set back in his injury as well?
Posted by: lukeo, April 24, 2013, 7:26pm; Reply: 7
Am I the only 1 not nervous? I've a feeling we'll cruise it
Posted by: TAGG, April 24, 2013, 7:32pm; Reply: 8
Good side but would have had a keeper on the bench for these games UTM
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, April 24, 2013, 7:42pm; Reply: 9
I'm ready, hope the players are!
Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, April 24, 2013, 7:45pm; Reply: 10
Come on Town, lets go for it tonight but keep it very tight at the back.

Up the Mariners
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, April 24, 2013, 7:51pm; Reply: 11
Power cut in central Cheltenham just as the game coverage was about to start!!!

Now they don't have sky FFS!

Is it on Taff tv tonight?
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 24, 2013, 7:53pm; Reply: 12
I'm at game, brilliant atmosphere, Good start by Town.
Posted by: tashee69, April 24, 2013, 8:05pm; Reply: 13
Think we need Naylor in defence to pass the ball out and need to go 4 1 2 2 1 like we started on Saturday.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, April 24, 2013, 8:06pm; Reply: 14
Shocking at keeping the ball we are.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, April 24, 2013, 8:07pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from GtfcGarner
Shocking at keeping the ball we are.

good to know Yoda supports Town
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, April 24, 2013, 8:11pm; Reply: 16
Currently sounds we are second best at the moment: our time will come, they don't seem to be taking advantage of our poor start.
Posted by: Laishers, April 24, 2013, 8:14pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from MyDogsThoughts
Currently sounds we are second best at the moment: our time will come, they don't seem to be taking advantage of our poor start.

I think the referee beats us to second right now. That's how bad we are.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, April 24, 2013, 8:20pm; Reply: 18
Not one for putting players down but Sam Hatton is absolutely f*cking terrible and don't see what he offers whatsoever.
Posted by: tashee69, April 24, 2013, 8:21pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Laishers

I think the referee beats us to second right now. That's how bad we are.

Up to now our second touch is a tattle (copyright Snods)
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, April 24, 2013, 8:22pm; Reply: 20
working away in london and in the worst hotel of all time, typing from my canoe sized bed, on 56k dialup wireless, but at least it sounds like town are doing amazing (i can't stream RADIO in 2013, yessss)
Posted by: tashee69, April 24, 2013, 8:25pm; Reply: 21
working away in london and in the worst hotel of all time, typing from my canoe sized bed, on 56k dialup wireless, but at least it sounds like town are doing amazing (i can't stream RADIO in 2013, yessss)

Are you still on Saturdays match ?  ;D
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 24, 2013, 8:26pm; Reply: 22
C,Mon Town.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, April 24, 2013, 8:26pm; Reply: 23
Working in the North Sea, cannot get the radio (would have to download something and the company firewall wont let me. So have to follow this. Pretty slow.
Posted by: Devonmatt, April 24, 2013, 8:27pm; Reply: 24
Scrappy, nervous.  Newport with much the better of things.  Desperate for half time.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, April 24, 2013, 8:29pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
Working in the North Sea, cannot get the radio (would have to download something and the company firewall wont let me. So have to follow this. Pretty slow.

Group hug, we'll get through this
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 24, 2013, 8:30pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from lukeo
Am I the only 1 not nervous? I've a feeling we'll cruise it

You are kidding if you think we will cruise it they are a better side than last saturday

Posted by: Devonmatt, April 24, 2013, 8:30pm; Reply: 27
No one able to put a foot on it for Town. Newport on top.  McKeown not a lot to do though.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 24, 2013, 8:31pm; Reply: 28
Fenty agro Fenty agro hello,hello.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, April 24, 2013, 8:31pm; Reply: 29
Thanks. Just so you know there's always someone worse off than you. :)
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, April 24, 2013, 8:32pm; Reply: 30
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Hung on for 0-0 at Half-time: now lets be the better side and win this.
Posted by: Devonmatt, April 24, 2013, 8:33pm; Reply: 31
1st real shot on target of the match goes to Grimsby as Devitt cuts inside and unleashes.  
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 24, 2013, 8:33pm; Reply: 32
Jeez that was close by Town..
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, April 24, 2013, 8:34pm; Reply: 33
nery opening 25 mins. Best players have been our defenders so far, happy enough so far.

Need to get our front players in the game more
Posted by: Codzilla, April 24, 2013, 8:34pm; Reply: 34
Newport by far the better team. Their midfield dominant, may need to go 5 in midfield and match them. Although the back 4 do seem solid despite a shaky start from Hatton. Jolley is a very good player.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, April 24, 2013, 8:35pm; Reply: 35
Is that a goal, or just close?
Posted by: Devonmatt, April 24, 2013, 8:35pm; Reply: 36
Happy to get in 0-0 at HT.  Hoping the management go 4-5-1.  Newport should have left a lot on the park first half - hopefully!!

UTM
Posted by: tashee69, April 24, 2013, 8:35pm; Reply: 37
A little bit of football and passing results in our best chance.
All started with a pass by Hatton out of defence. See lads you don't have to clog it up in the air out of defence all the time.
Posted by: Codzilla, April 24, 2013, 8:35pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Fenty agro Fenty agro hello,hello.

What happened with Fenty?
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, April 24, 2013, 8:36pm; Reply: 39
Not a goal, just Half time. Doh.
Posted by: northbankmariner, April 24, 2013, 8:36pm; Reply: 40
newport slightly edged the first half for me, we need to keep hold of the ball better, but newport are pressing all over the pitch to be fair.   we ill get chances we just have to be patient.   newport have ability and a front line that does scare me but so far we have kept them to mainly efforts from distance, lets hope it stays that way. they look a better organised and balanced side right now, but while it remains 0-0 owt can happen,  c'm on town step it up if oyou can and lay in their half for a bit of sustained pressure please.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, April 24, 2013, 8:36pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
Thanks. Just so you know there's always someone worse off than you. :)

Worse off? You're nice and safe in the north sea, im in a hotel reminiscent of something you'd stay at at a butlins or a pontins in east london somewhere.
Posted by: northbankmariner, April 24, 2013, 8:37pm; Reply: 42
question, are we giving them too much respect in the middle of the park?
Posted by: oldludensian, April 24, 2013, 8:38pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from tashee69
A little bit of football and passing results in our best chance.
All started with a pass by Hatton out of defence. See lads you don't have to clog it up in the air out of defence all the time.

Exactly. Get in on the deck into Hearn's feet, not round his fuckingneck.
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, April 24, 2013, 8:39pm; Reply: 44
We put them to bed in the first half on Saturday: let's put them to bed in the second half tonight.
Posted by: Devonmatt, April 24, 2013, 8:40pm; Reply: 45
Disley has been booked early doors which doesn't help.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 24, 2013, 8:41pm; Reply: 46

Worse off? You're nice and safe in the north sea, im in a hotel reminiscent of something you'd stay at at a butlins or a pontins in east london somewhere.

Fawlty towers.
Posted by: wodewick, April 24, 2013, 8:41pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from northbankmariner
newport slightly edged the first half for me, we need to keep hold of the ball better, but newport are pressing all over the pitch to be fair.   we ill get chances we just have to be patient.   newport have ability and a front line that does scare me but so far we have kept them to mainly efforts from distance, lets hope it stays that way. they look a better organised and balanced side right now, but while it remains 0-0 owt can happen,  c'm on town step it up if oyou can and lay in their half for a bit of sustained pressure please.

slightly you are obviously watching a different game to me.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, April 24, 2013, 8:41pm; Reply: 48

You obviously haven't been here. :0

Posted by: bobbyturtle, April 24, 2013, 8:47pm; Reply: 49
flipping come on town!
Posted by: Devonmatt, April 24, 2013, 8:53pm; Reply: 50
Much better start to the second half for Town.  Strung a few passes together already.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, April 24, 2013, 8:54pm; Reply: 51
its gotten better because the internets finally sped up slightly so I can listen, they only perform for me
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 24, 2013, 8:55pm; Reply: 52
1 goal will win this game, Newport are a decent team.
Posted by: Laishers, April 24, 2013, 9:05pm; Reply: 53
Finally, some flare near the Newport box!

I'm here all night folks   ;D
Posted by: Devonmatt, April 24, 2013, 9:09pm; Reply: 54
Newport visibly unable to put in the same kind of effort off the ball as in the first half.

UTM
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, April 24, 2013, 9:10pm; Reply: 55
a goal would be nice (for us)
Posted by: Devonmatt, April 24, 2013, 9:14pm; Reply: 56
Taylor looks knackered.  Another change soon perhaps?
Posted by: Devonmatt, April 24, 2013, 9:21pm; Reply: 57
Town hit the post!
Posted by: chaos33, April 24, 2013, 9:24pm; Reply: 58
Marshall on for Taylor. Attendance just over 5400. 364 from Newport. So much for a sell-out, and for Newport bringing 800!!
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, April 24, 2013, 9:26pm; Reply: 59
blaaaaaaah gonna end 0-0 not the end of the world but kinda sucks
Posted by: topuphere666, April 24, 2013, 9:33pm; Reply: 60
intercourse intercourse intercourse girl privates
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 24, 2013, 9:33pm; Reply: 61
oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
Posted by: northbankmariner, April 24, 2013, 9:33pm; Reply: 62
dont believe it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!     but sadly i do  ??)
Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, April 24, 2013, 9:33pm; Reply: 63
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Newport score 90 seconds from time - shite!

UTM
Posted by: BrMarin, April 24, 2013, 9:35pm; Reply: 64
should have played bradley wood
Posted by: northbankmariner, April 24, 2013, 9:36pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from BrMarin
should have played bradley wood

youve been drinking mate, hatton very solid at the back, bradders would have dived in and been skinned several times tonight i feel.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, April 24, 2013, 9:36pm; Reply: 66
Typical. We won't go and win at their place, no actual hunger in the team.
Posted by: mr b, April 24, 2013, 9:37pm; Reply: 67
Why can't we take a corner or free kick we are shocking at delivering a good ball seen better in div 7 on a Sunday morning !
Posted by: mariner91, April 24, 2013, 9:37pm; Reply: 68
Was never a free kick in a million years.
Posted by: Laishers, April 24, 2013, 9:38pm; Reply: 69
Grimsby 0-1 Newport, and I'll tell you what: GOOD ON THEM. They deserve it.

Our striking the woodwork and the double-shot at the end of the first half can't disguise what's been a thoroughly AWFUL performance. I absolutely love Town and I'm gutted.

We've become a team who just can't handle pressure. The last day of the season in Division Two, bottling it at Cardiff, losing our way after MK Dons, and even this season with the complete loss of form in the run-up to Wembley... these last ten years have been so, so depressing.

Sorry for the rant guys, I'm not losing hope, I'm just furious with the performance tonight, which is nothing short of dire. I'm just glad it's not 2-0... which it deserves to be.
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, April 24, 2013, 9:39pm; Reply: 70
We aren't out yet: plenty of football before that.
Posted by: Codswede, April 24, 2013, 9:40pm; Reply: 71
Wasn't a free-kick. I'm angry at a lot of things right now. Worse performance than at Wembley I reckon, certainly should have been better.
Posted by: topuphere666, April 24, 2013, 9:40pm; Reply: 72
girl privates on the pitch
Posted by: northbankmariner, April 24, 2013, 9:41pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Laishers

Our striking the woodwork and the double-shot at the end of the first half can't disguise what's been a thoroughly AWFUL performance. I absolutely love Town and I'm gutted.

We've become a team who just can't handle pressure. The last day of the season in Division Two, bottling it at Cardiff, losing our way after MK Dons, and even this season with the complete loss of form in the run-up to Wembley... these last ten years have been so, so depressing.

Sorry for the rant guys, I'm not losing hope, I'm just furious with the performance tonight, which is nothing short of dire. I'm just glad it's not 2-0... which it deserves to be.

are you telling me we have been out played? never mckewon hasnt had a serious shot to save.  we havent been spectacular but apart from a lucky own goal newport wouldn't have scored if they had played all night.  no we didnt do enough to win it in my opinion but AWFUL   no never , dont know what you mean buddy, i think you are speaking out of frustration only, after a while you will realise we didnt deserve to lose. a draw would have been a fair result. UTM
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, April 24, 2013, 9:42pm; Reply: 74
well for 89 minutes the best part of Town's performance was the defending, so sickening to concede a goal like that.  

But in reality could someone tell me what Devitt/C Taylor/M Marshall brought to that game, because that's were we was so dissapointing.

Hearn carried a threat, but doing too much on his own.

Its a cruel defeat, but Im sat here bitterly dissapointed in our play in the final third.    We didnt actually create anything did we?
Posted by: GtfcGarner, April 24, 2013, 9:42pm; Reply: 75
Defending was flipping awful for the set-piece. All that work they've done and thrown it away and left a bigger task on hand for the away leg at Rodney Parade.
Posted by: tashee69, April 24, 2013, 9:43pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Laishers

And how many times was McKeown even slightly tested. One......from Miller
Cook was very poor and we should have started 451/433.
As for the free kick that led to their goal....what a joke both players just fell over and I've replayed it several times.
Posted by: topuphere666, April 24, 2013, 9:44pm; Reply: 77
team for Sunday

Macca

Hatton
Miller
Pearson
Thomas

Naylor
Disley
Niven/Thanoj

Colbeck
Hearn
Cook
??
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, April 24, 2013, 9:45pm; Reply: 78
:(Not seen as much of the Mariners as I would like, but from what I have seen we have overachieved this season.
Great defence. Midfield usually over-run unless we play 5, forwards hit and miss.

However all is not lost and dont rule out an away win on Sunday.

Nite nite and dont drink too much-champagne still on ice.
Posted by: northbankmariner, April 24, 2013, 9:46pm; Reply: 79
am not down beat tonight, town did nothing wrong in my book and dont deserve to be behind in the tie. we will need to be better in the second leg, but its not impossible to get a result there, i saw nothing tonight that frightened me at all.   but we have to be more creative in the final third with better service to our strikers, although not a bad performance i would drop cook for the second leg and play hearn and hannak up front. they were comfortable in the air so why not nip in behind them,. worth a try, nothing to lose now.   UTM

i would have been more unhappy if we were outplayed and had been sh!te but w werent.   UTM
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, April 24, 2013, 9:46pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Laishers

at 0-0 we were still in the game, they got a lucky break at the end, we were not awful. but we were dissapointing in the final third.

A mountain to climb, and I just dont think we carry enough threat down the sides to get the goals from Hearn/Cook/Hannah.
Posted by: Laishers, April 24, 2013, 9:48pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from northbankmariner

are you telling me we have been out played? never mckewon hasnt had a serious shot to save.  we havent been spectacular but apart from a lucky own goal newport wouldn't have scored if they had played all night.  no we didnt do enough to win it in my opinion but AWFUL   no never , dont know what you mean buddy, i think you are speaking out of frustration only, after a while you will realise we didnt deserve to lose. a draw would have been a fair result. UTM

I dunno. Certainly the first half. Okay, I'll grant you, McKeown didn't have much to do, but it's not like their keeper had much more. They always looked SO much more comfortable than we did, and that first half was just depressing. Was hoping the double-save at the end heralded the start of a change, but y'know, not really; the second half WAS improved, but not greatly.

If we'd had five/six decent chances and lost, I'd say fair enough, unlucky, but that's not really the case.
Posted by: GrimRob, April 24, 2013, 9:56pm; Reply: 82
Credit to Newport they stopped us playing in the first half. Too many Town players like Cook and Taylor were not in the game at all, We were defensively sound as usual but the result isn't a disaster we're good away from home anyway when the pressure is off.
Posted by: Doctor Sanchez, April 24, 2013, 9:58pm; Reply: 83
It's disappointing but it's only half-time.  We've come back to win from behind before, we can do it again.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, April 24, 2013, 9:59pm; Reply: 84
Disappointed to lose but remember - we've been very good away from home in the last month
Posted by: Devonmatt, April 24, 2013, 10:02pm; Reply: 85
Aside from being 1-0 down at HT I see nothing from Newport that should dictate that we can not recover the tie in the 2nd leg.  Newport as a whole and Jolley in particular were very good for 35mins.  I thought after that they showed nothing and visibly dropped off the pace the longer the 2nd half went on.  Hearn will improve again for tonights start and Colbeck will be back to improve our options.

UTM
Posted by: supertown, April 24, 2013, 10:08pm; Reply: 86
it was junk, no way will we get out of this league playing like that. Not a single decent cross in the game
Posted by: Badger57, April 24, 2013, 10:13pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from Laishers

Agrees. We were DREADFUL!!!!  When playing at home and your best players by a million miles are the two central defenders it tells you everything. WOEFUL!
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, April 24, 2013, 10:14pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from supertown
it was junk, no way will we get out of this league playing like that. Not a single decent cross in the game

i think this is a fair point, Ive made my criticism of our wingers performances tonight, never involved
Posted by: Spiritater, April 24, 2013, 10:24pm; Reply: 89
Unlucky boys. Hope you turn it around and stuff the Welsh cheats on Sunday.
Posted by: ncfcr, April 25, 2013, 11:08am; Reply: 90
As you say, only half time. Unspectacular from both teams really. Sunday is going to be tense. We're both equally as good at home and away so I don't really see us having that much of an advantage.
Print page generated: May 8, 2024, 2:48pm