Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ginnywings, October 20, 2018, 5:41pm
Think we have the makings of a half decent side there now. We were the better team in the first half, without threatening their keeper too often. The Vernon shot that hit the post was our only real chance created, and they put one just past the post. Second half, they were the better side as i thought they would be, but i think their better was a bit better then our better, if you see what i mean.

They looked a tad more fluid and threatening when on top than we did in the first half, which considering their league position, was not surprising. A combination of McKeown and the wood work kept them at bay, but they pushed us back and made us stretched, which forced us to hit the ball long a lot more than the first half. Our defence looks a lot more balanced now, with proper full backs. Hendrie impresses me more with time and i thought he was our best player.

We look much better than we did earlier in the season, and didn't look second best to a side at the top end of the league. Think we will be fine this season, but need one or two more signings in Jan to progress more as a team.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 20, 2018, 5:44pm; Reply: 1
Fair result. Mitch Rose outstanding but would just give MoM to Alex Whitmore who played Stockley really well. For the life of me I can't work how Vernam gets subbed and Hooper stays on.
Posted by: Hagrid, October 20, 2018, 5:45pm; Reply: 2
Because vernam fades. He just seems to run out of steam. Hooper is there for his defending also.   Good point against a good side
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), October 20, 2018, 5:49pm; Reply: 3
I really enjoyed the game some really good football. Two good teams. The best ref so far this season.
I think all Town players did well but Mitch Rose was awesome.
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 20, 2018, 6:01pm; Reply: 4

Great confidence boosting performance by Town but if I had to nitpick.....we need to get more streetwise....when their player recklessly took our player out (forget who it was) and got a yellow...... our player got straight up and possibly saved him from getting a red.
Little things change games and the likes of Lincoln would certainly have been rolling around and surrounding the ref asking for a red.
Posted by: oldun, October 20, 2018, 6:06pm; Reply: 5
Agree Mitch is joy to watch at times. Harry Clifton also did well but looked tired 75mins on. Thought Hess might have come on in his place. Collins  and Whitmore were excellent against a potent strike force.
Posted by: chaos33, October 20, 2018, 6:08pm; Reply: 6
Good point against a good team and a lot of credit to several individuals as well as the whole team and management. Much more like it and well done.
Gives us a little bit of momentum and that's massive in football. Home game Tuesday night and our players should feel confident.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, October 20, 2018, 6:09pm; Reply: 7
If this team can get in the groove, then Jolley’s 2 and 3 year contracts could be really valuable.  Get the core of this young squad in the side next season, some promise in the youth team and it might just be the start of an era.

Posted by: headingly_mariner, October 20, 2018, 6:15pm; Reply: 8
Good performance, just lacking the quality to really hurt them. It was a genuinely enjoyable experience as was the last home game.

Our subs didn’t really work for us today and I felt Vernam was looking the most likely to create something.

Looking forward to Tuesday
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 20, 2018, 6:26pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Good performance, just lacking the quality to really hurt them. It was a genuinely enjoyable experience as was the last home game.

Our subs didn’t really work for us today and I felt Vernam was looking the most likely to create something.

Looking forward to Tuesday

I thought our subs were safe options today, which given the fact Exeter were looking the better team was the best thing to do.
Posted by: Cloudy, October 20, 2018, 6:28pm; Reply: 10
Decent game and I agree with Ginny in that we were better team 1 st period and they were after h-t.
Mitch Rose was outstanding and Whitmore, Collins and Hendry not far behind.

One area of criticism and that is Hooper. The level of abuse he gets for a guy wearing a black n white shirt is out of order imo. One guy behind me was bellowing to get him off in the first few minutes, ( despite it being Thomas who lost the ball!). He isn’t a world beater but one thing we have with Hooper is balance, and we tend to pick up points when he starts!

On to Tuesday and hopefully 3 points to keep the run going.

UTM
Posted by: LondonMariner43, October 20, 2018, 6:33pm; Reply: 11
Call me old fashioned but I don’t want any Town player being audibly criticised by ‘fans’ during a game.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 20, 2018, 6:34pm; Reply: 12
Biggest problem for me is our lack of goals. Only 9 scored in 13 is not good enough and we are the only team in Div 2 not to reach double figures yet. Doesn't matter how well you play if you can't score, because you will always be one chance or bad bit of defending away from a defeat. I think Thomas is excellent at this level, but we need someone who can stick the ball in the net regularly up there with him. Hopefully, Vernam will be that man eventually, or we need to invest in a goalscorer in Jan.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 20, 2018, 6:47pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from ginnywings
Biggest problem for me is our lack of goals. Only 9 scored in 13 is not good enough and we are the only team in Div 2 not to reach double figures yet. Doesn't matter how well you play if you can't score, because you will always be one chance or bad bit of defending away from a defeat. I think Thomas is excellent at this level, but we need someone who can stick the ball in the net regularly up there with him. Hopefully, Vernam will be that man eventually, or we need to invest in a goalscorer in Jan.

Careful Ginny saying invest might give our non chairman a heart flutter, ;)

Posted by: AussieMariner, October 20, 2018, 7:02pm; Reply: 14
Big positive for me was that we weren’t turning the ball over when not under pressure nearly as much as we have been - even in the recent wins.
For me that was a decent game between two evenly matched sides neither of which got that little bit of luck to finish the other off.
Some really good football played, much more like I was hoping to see from a Michael Jolley team.
Only disappointment was (according to BBC site) no shots on target, and I certainly can’t remember any but then again they only had 2 and one of those was the pen.
I’m pretty confident that we’re heading in the right direction and those chances will start being taken.
And yes, I agree get off Hooper’s back. He’s one of ours, still young, and any shortcomings are not from a lack of effort
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), October 20, 2018, 7:23pm; Reply: 15
Only just back myself (via the off licence). Christ I enjoyed that game.
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, October 20, 2018, 7:46pm; Reply: 16
given our league pos, we've only been losing at half time once this season. it's the second half we seemed to fade, but it looks as our fitness levels are creeping up. we have missed hall Johnson at the back due to injury and we look so much better with him there, his got a bit of pace so get us out as well and Whitmore looks solid atm. we are a team in transition another 3-4 solid signings and offload some others and we will be ok.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 20, 2018, 8:18pm; Reply: 17
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned McKeown's penalty save.

It wasn't really a poor penalty and McKeown did superb to get down and save it.

That in itself really won us the point.
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), October 20, 2018, 8:21pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Les Brechin
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned McKeown's penalty save.

It wasn't really a poor penalty and McKeown did superb to get down and save it.

That in itself really won us the point.

I enjoyed McKeown’s mind games just before it was taken. Worked beautifully.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, October 20, 2018, 8:59pm; Reply: 19
I’m a big fan of Mitch Rose but it thought he was better in the first half today than he’s ever been for us before. He did all the physical stuff but I thought he did some great things with the ball as well. I also thought Harry Clifton complimented him perfectly, he’s strung 3 good performances together in the middle and adds great energy. Clifton will develop into a fine box to box midfielder as he grows in confidence, experience and gets stronger. He just seems to be getting his foot or his head in all over the place and then moves the ball on.
Posted by: Tommy, October 20, 2018, 9:07pm; Reply: 20
Good game of football that was.

1st half we were the better team although Exeter still got in some decent positions (mainly from crosses). We played some really nice football at times. Hendrie looking to play into people's feet, RHJ the same on the other side.

Rose very composed on the ball and some excellent long switches of play from him. The number of times we got into the middle third but instead of forcing it forward, calmly went back to start again, changed the point of attack and then went forward in another area was pleasing to see. So often in the past we've recycled the ball only for a defender to just lump it down the channel for a percentage ball. Was much better to watch today.

Boateng for them was lucky to only get a yellow. As soon as I saw it I though "red card" but as another post I've just seen said, I think our reaction to it saved him. Clifton stayed down for a second but then got straight up. And no-one seemed to make anything of it. I'm not suggesting or advocating surrounding the ref or anything like that, that's another debate to have, but I bet we'd have been down to 10 there if the boot was on the other foot as they'd have made the ref feel like he had a decision to make. As it was, the ref got away with not having to make a controversial call and I bet he was relieved.

Lovely passage of play leading to Vernams chance and that's an inch away from hitting the post and going in.

2nd half we had our best chance of the game (which I'm surprised no-one had mentioned yet) when Thomas did really well to turn the defender but failed to hit the target when he really should've scored.

Then Exeter got more and more into the game. We sat off and sat deeper, probably ran out of steam a bit in key areas and stopped playing football the way we were in the first half. Clifton and Rose worked their socks off but probably tired a bit after being first to everything in the first half.

I stopped following the ball when the foul for the pen happened but really good save from Macca. He's really got the hang of these penalties now hasn't he after what felt like years of not saving one  ;)

Thought Cook took too long to get up to the pace of the game and failed to make it stick when it went up to his feet the first 3/4 times.
Good to see Akheem Rose get on and continue his development even if he barely had a touch.
7pts from 9 and 3 consecutive clean sheets definite signs of progress.

I thought a point a fair result.
Posted by: LH, October 20, 2018, 9:34pm; Reply: 21
I’d have taken a point before the start today and I’m very pleased with how it was won. I think both teams will be sat at home tomorrow thinking they might have won it. Exeter were quite good when they got forward and I definitely think if we’d scored first they would have had another gear to go up to get one back as they did seem to sit back off us at times today to let us ask the questions.

Special mention for Mitch Rose who was brilliant. Great penalty save from McKeown - who I noted was also keen to get it going again quickly whenever he caught it today which was a nice change.

We’ve played some nice stuff in the last couple of games and that’s helping me to start enjoying going to BP again. Looking forward fo Tuesday - let’s back it up with a win.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 20, 2018, 9:57pm; Reply: 22
I'm quite excited about what we "could" be on the basis of today we look fitter, passed the ball better, and most importantly tried to make things happen rather than waiting for things to happen to us which was underlined by the performances of a number of Town players today. I can't understand where the new found confidence had come from maybe a couple of decent wins, an energetic youthful side coupled with 3 clean sheets might just be the difference.

Both sides eased into the game for the first 10 to 15 mins but then Town looked the more likely with great energy and a few good ideas, the move where Verman hit the post was really good and just underlines how much the passing has improved. I also thought  that in his approach play Wes was unlucky that the ball just didn't drop to him despite him being in the right place at the right time. I like Wes he reminds me of Amond (not as clinical though) in that he has some craft which we have been missing since Podge left.

It could be said that in the second half Exeter where the better team which I'd agree with as they pulled us about a fair bit and with better finishing should have killed the game but then it could be argued that Town dealt with another challenge and ticked the box, I'll plumb for the latter but I'm bias. Big shout out for Macca though as that was a really good penalty save. When MJ made the changes you can see the recent improvement has come from as removing the pace of Verman and creativity of Embeleton (he's a great prospect) arguably meant that we didn't have what we needed to snatch the game, though Cooke and Hess did OK to be fair.  

The lads,

Macca - Despite his slip after the kick off looked confident and the pen save was excellent.
Hendrie - A bit guilty of over playing but as he gets fitter he gets better
RHJ - Not his best day but did o.k. and I'm glad he's back
Whitmore - Best game for Town and looked really confident in possession, careful and brave.  
Collins - Looks like DC is back, the arm band suits him.
Rose - The footballer is coming out, I though he was excellent today, a real holding midfielder who "kept us shape".
Clifton - Did well worked hard, his energy is the difference in his natural position, needs his 1st goal
Embeleton - If we can sign this kid for the rest of the season we won't struggle, good today but offers much more and is always available and wants the ball.
Charlie - This kids pace excites me and scares the sh!t out of defenders, good today and felt for him when he hit the post, a good signing and potentially a good investment
Thomas - See above, the youngsters can learn from his guile, a goal or two will get him firing for sure.
JJ - Someone said on RH he looked lazy and disinterested i don't agree but he had a lot of possession and needs to do more with it, that said he's clearly a "confidence player" and had enough to back himself on a number of occasions which the optimist on me thinks will come good.    

One thing to note Town got more players into their box when attacking, this bodes well.

Anyway in summary a good and relatively entertaining 0 - 0, one where we got out of jail a few times? definitely! One that has me looking forward to and willing to do the 300 mile round trip on a Tuesday night? Yup without a doubt.

UTM!      

Posted by: 140381 (Guest), October 20, 2018, 10:07pm; Reply: 23
I think the confidence has come from a settled side and more importantly a settled defence with a right and left back.
Posted by: Tradjazz, October 20, 2018, 10:09pm; Reply: 24
Cannot get my head around the fact that Verman, Thomas and Embleton are subbed leaving Hooper still on!

For goodness sake don't pass the ball back to Macca from kick off again. Nearly cost us a goal.
He is a great shot stopper but needs to work on his kicking and patrolling of the penalty area.

UTM, roll on Tuesday!
Posted by: Pontooner, October 20, 2018, 10:36pm; Reply: 25
For 0-0 draw, I thought it was an enjoyable game to watch. Town came out and as in the previous home game, showed they can actually play some nice pass and move football. Confidence looked very high and it's  just a shame we couldn't find a goal in that period.

Second half, Exeter were a better side and started to dominate play. Although it was disappointing the see our more creative players leaving the field, I think on balance it was probably the right thing to do. Overall, quite a few positives for Town to take from this.

Good team performance all round, but stand outs for me were a really good 90 min performance from Rose and the impressive Hendrie at LB.
Posted by: Poojah, October 20, 2018, 10:47pm; Reply: 26
0-0 games are normally pretty boring but this was a game that could just have easily have ended 3-3. Either side could’ve taken the game but I think they’ll feel more disappointed than us on account of the missed penalty and their current league position.

I thought that we played so well in the first half that it shocked them. They looked to be expecting an easy game and when they didn’t get it they didn’t seem to know what to do in the first 45 minutes.

They were always going to improve in the second half, and they did, but while we weren’t quite as slick as we had been we were at least resolute. I’m not sure it’s been called out, but three clean sheets in a row is a massive improvement on the defensive shambles we’d been for much of the early part of the season.

If we can sort the goal scoring side out, we’ll be ok.
Posted by: mariner tommy, October 20, 2018, 11:33pm; Reply: 27
I agree with marinerdazza, the two full backs made all the difference to me, Hendrie and Hall Johnson were everything you could ask for, defending when required and overlapping at every opportunity.
Thoroughly enjoyed it today and really looking forward to Tuesday

UTM
Posted by: Mariner_09, October 20, 2018, 11:59pm; Reply: 28
Certainly a lot better than what was produced against Oldham, Morecambe etc. We were clearly the better side in the first half but our lack of cutting edge and quality is still a big concern as we could easily have gone in behind when that shot just trickled past the post that I thought was going in. Vernam always looked the liveliest and most threatening of our players but his final ball needs to improve. He does get defences worried and going towards their own goal which is a sodding sight more than most of our attacking players do.

I agreed with Macca as MOM, the penalty save was really good and a vital moment in the game and nobody else contributed such a big helping hand.

Whitmore and Collins look to have built a decent partnership as the much coverted Stockley was largely irrelevant barring some ridiculous play acting. I thought their No. 44 was their best player. He had RHJ on the ropes in the 2nd half and that culminated in the penalty, 4-5 times he beat RHJ or got goal side of him.

Rose and Clifton both worked hard and we never looked like getting overrun or out battled in midfield as those two both put the graft in. I’m still not part of the Rose love in mind, he rarely effects games in an ostensibly positive manner, he looks quite clever and pretty with fancy flicks and sprayed passes but I’d question his overall effectiveness. Not questioning his work ethic but he can be a liability in possession and when he’s trying to win balls he’s got no chance of winning.

The side looks much more balanced now as barring Hendrie everyone appears to be playing in their best position and he’s doing a good job at LB I feel. It would be good to have a left footer down that side though. On 2-3 occasions we were bursting forward on that side and it needed someone to whip in a cross but both Hendrie and JJ always looks to cut back.

Thomas worked hard to little effect. Feel the ball needs to drop for him as he clearly has some quality on the ball and some guile.

The only genuine concern is our fitness levels. We looked absolutely knackered for the last half hour and our propensity to concede goals in the 2nd half can’t be coincidence. Is Jolley working them too hard in training and they’re knackered by matchday or is it not enough fitness training or are they simply using the wrong methods to keep them fit? Whatever it is it needs solving fast as other teams won’t miss the raft of chances Exeter did today and we’ll lose those matches more often than we pinch a point.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 21, 2018, 7:55am; Reply: 29
Quoted from Mariner_09
Certainly a lot better than what was produced against Oldham, Morecambe etc. We were clearly the better side in the first half but our lack of cutting edge and quality is still a big concern as we could easily have gone in behind when that shot just trickled past the post that I thought was going in. Vernam always looked the liveliest and most threatening of our players but his final ball needs to improve. He does get defences worried and going towards their own goal which is a sodding sight more than most of our attacking players do.

I agreed with Macca as MOM, the penalty save was really good and a vital moment in the game and nobody else contributed such a big helping hand.

Whitmore and Collins look to have built a decent partnership as the much coverted Stockley was largely irrelevant barring some ridiculous play acting. I thought their No. 44 was their best player. He had RHJ on the ropes in the 2nd half and that culminated in the penalty, 4-5 times he beat RHJ or got goal side of him.

Rose and Clifton both worked hard and we never looked like getting overrun or out battled in midfield as those two both put the graft in. I’m still not part of the Rose love in mind, he rarely effects games in an ostensibly positive manner, he looks quite clever and pretty with fancy flicks and sprayed passes but I’d question his overall effectiveness. Not questioning his work ethic but he can be a liability in possession and when he’s trying to win balls he’s got no chance of winning.

The side looks much more balanced now as barring Hendrie everyone appears to be playing in their best position and he’s doing a good job at LB I feel. It would be good to have a left footer down that side though. On 2-3 occasions we were bursting forward on that side and it needed someone to whip in a cross but both Hendrie and JJ always looks to cut back.

Thomas worked hard to little effect. Feel the ball needs to drop for him as he clearly has some quality on the ball and some guile.

The only genuine concern is our fitness levels. We looked absolutely knackered for the last half hour and our propensity to concede goals in the 2nd half can’t be coincidence. Is Jolley working them too hard in training and they’re knackered by matchday or is it not enough fitness training or are they simply using the wrong methods to keep them fit? Whatever it is it needs solving fast as other teams won’t miss the raft of chances Exeter did today and we’ll lose those matches more often than we pinch a point.

You're seriously questioning the Mitch Rose 'love-in'? Watch the game again and tell me when he lost possession yesterday because I can't remember it.
Posted by: speedy, October 21, 2018, 8:19am; Reply: 30
For the penelty save Macca was staring towards the touchline waiting for instruction. Sam Russell told him which way to dive and the bench celebrated as if he saved the penelty aswell. Great research done by him to know the way the attacker was going to put it!
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, October 21, 2018, 9:18am; Reply: 31
Quoted from speedy
For the penelty save Macca was staring towards the touchline waiting for instruction. Sam Russell told him which way to dive and the bench celebrated as if he saved the penelty aswell. Great research done by him to know the way the attacker was going to put it!

From Macca's interview in the telewag.

“It’s something that I’ve tried before when I don’t really know what I’m doing!” McKeown told the Telegraph.

“To be honest, when he got it, I couldn’t remember where he went before or what I’d seen, so I just thought I’m going to point that way and try and double bluff him"

Posted by: lobsterpot, October 21, 2018, 10:20am; Reply: 32
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You're seriously questioning the Mitch Rose 'love-in'? Watch the game again and tell me when he lost possession yesterday because I can't remember it.

Credit where credit is due. Mitch had a great game yesterday and you could not single him out for losing the ball BUT i must add that, more often than not, in other games we do tend to concede goals when he tries to perform turns on the ball that he isnt capable of and loses posession. No negativitivity here though. I'm hoping he's learned from his faults and improved and carries it through and becomes our new trojan leader! Just pointing out he has been very guilty early doors of the season. Maybe he needs a few penos to get back on the front foot  ;) UTM

Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 21, 2018, 10:30am; Reply: 33
Quoted from lobsterpot

Credit where credit is due. Mitch had a great game yesterday and you could not single him out for losing the ball BUT i must add that, more often than not, in other games we do tend to concede goals when he tries to perform turns on the ball that he isnt capable of and loses posession. No negativitivity here though. I'm hoping he's learned from his faults and improved and carries it through and becomes our new trojan leader! Just pointing out he has been very guilty early doors of the season. Maybe he needs a few penos to get back on the front foot  ;) UTM

Which games are you on about?
Posted by: rancido, October 21, 2018, 11:48am; Reply: 34
I thoroughly enjoyed the game and, for a 0-0 draw it certainly wasn't boring. It's still early days but there are signs of improvement and it would appear that the players are beginning to grasp how MJ wants them to play. A settled ( or basically settled ) side is starting to exhibit continuity and confidence with  strong evidence of understanding between the players.

I thought the match showed both sides of Maccas play - and don't interpret this as a slating of him. On the plus side he pulled off a brilliant penalty save and exhibited a lot of confidence. Whereas on the negative side his kicking left a lot to be desired at times and his slip from the kick-off for the second half could have so easily cost us a goal. In his defence I thought the pass back to him was totally unnecessary but these things happen.I also question Hoopers extended run as first team choice. He seems to be in a world of his own at times and seems slow to react to changes in play - he certainly appears more reactive than proactive in his play. Also, contrary to a previous poster, I don't think he gives a lot of support to his full-back when we are defending. I expected Pringle to replace him for the last 15 mins or so but MJ obviously thought different.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 21, 2018, 12:03pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from rancido
I thoroughly enjoyed the game and, for a 0-0 draw it certainly wasn't boring. It's still early days but there are signs of improvement and it would appear that the players are beginning to grasp how MJ wants them to play. A settled ( or basically settled ) side is starting to exhibit continuity and confidence with  strong evidence of understanding between the players.

I thought the match showed both sides of Maccas play - and don't interpret this as a slating of him. On the plus side he pulled off a brilliant penalty save and exhibited a lot of confidence. Whereas on the negative side his kicking left a lot to be desired at times and his slip from the kick-off for the second half could have so easily cost us a goal. In his defence I thought the pass back to him was totally unnecessary but these things happen.I also question Hoopers extended run as first team choice. He seems to be in a world of his own at times and seems slow to react to changes in play - he certainly appears more reactive than proactive in his play. Also, contrary to a previous poster, I don't think he gives a lot of support to his full-back when we are defending. I expected Pringle to replace him for the last 15 mins or so but MJ obviously thought different.

I know Macca made a great penno save yesterday but I seriously question how the sponsors could make him MoM ahead of at least 3 others (Rose, Whitmore, Hendrie and possibly Collins).

Regarding JJ, it was hard not to single him out yesterday as he appeared to have so little impact on the game compared to others. There was one notable occasion when Vernam was telling him which gap to run into and by the time he'd made the run, the pass was cut off.
Posted by: devs, October 21, 2018, 12:36pm; Reply: 36
Mitch Rose looks way better in the current shape of the midfield and team
Him, Welsh and Hess was just too pedestrian, slow, little creativity etc and I think Rose perhaps got unfairly blamed

I've taken to him a lot more in last two games - he looks far better and more comfortable with a couple of high energy players alongside him - ie: Clifton and Embleton

The balance is way better now and those three are playing in their best positions, doing what they are best at etc

Hooper is an enigma - he seems to do the hard things easily and vice versa

And he makes it easy for the critics to be on his back - late on he had the chance to challenge a defender one on one. He never did - he should at least have challenged and if he gave away a free kick so what?

Hoope gives balance down the left, in his 'lazy' style works hard for the team, and is part of a winning team - in time I'd like to see Pringle on the left and/or perhaps Vernam out there with Cook in the middle

MJ rates Hopper and that's fine by me with three clean sheets, 7pts out of 9, and mini unbeaten run
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, October 21, 2018, 2:31pm; Reply: 37
It helps when we get a decent Ref like Matthew Donohue yesterday. One of the better new up and coming officials.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 21, 2018, 2:36pm; Reply: 38
The most impressive thing is the 3 clean sheets. The manager deserves credit for obvious work done on the training ground and for having the nerve to keep a winning side despite some “senior” players being fit.

Sadly we do not have a striker on the books unless Akheem Rose turns up trumps. For all his skill and effort and the manager’s kind words, Vernam will never be a goalscorer so someone must be signed as a priority in the next window. It would be tragic if all that work on keeping clean sheets was to go to waste because we cannot capitalise on it. But for the moment we should just be thankful for small mercies and not to be leaking goals. Just imagine what Paul Hurst would give just now for 3 clean sheets on the bounce eh?
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 21, 2018, 2:36pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I know Macca made a great penno save yesterday but I seriously question how the sponsors could make him MoM ahead of at least 3 others (Rose, Whitmore, Hendrie and possibly Collins).

Regarding JJ, it was hard not to single him out yesterday as he appeared to have so little impact on the game compared to others. There was one notable occasion when Vernam was telling him which gap to run into and by the time he'd made the run, the pass was cut off.

I agree about Hooper, someone mentioned previously he helps out defensively but at one point when we were under pressure late on in the second half they had a throw in towards the Osmond in front of the Youngs and Hooper turned his back on it and walked away leaving Hendrie outnumbered.

He gives the ball away too often for me and for a so called wide mine hardly creates anything for the forwards. I just couldn't understand how he remained on the pitch and Vernam and Embleton were taken off.

Still I thought one of the best games of the season so far.

Posted by: Jaws, October 21, 2018, 3:52pm; Reply: 40
Could have easily lost that 2 nil but for a bit of good fortune. So greatful they missed their penalty and a sitter as it would have detracted from what was a really good performance with lots of "pass and move".

Hooper was dire, I don't think we can justify giving him a game every week on the off-chance that he can be bothered. He can be a great player, but something isn't quite there with his attitude.

Vernam had a great game and didn't think he should have come off but it was clear from 70 minutes that Exeter were much fitter and any chance of winning started to faded away at that point.

Undefeated in October with 3 clean sheets is good. None of the current top 3 have beaten us. If we beat Colchester on Tuesday then we've really turned a corner.
Posted by: Hagrid, October 21, 2018, 4:34pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Jaws
Could have easily lost that 2 nil but for a bit of good fortune. So greatful they missed their penalty and a sitter as it would have detracted from what was a really good performance with lots of "pass and move".

Hooper was dire, I don't think we can justify giving him a game every week on the off-chance that he can be bothered. He can be a great player, but something isn't quite there with his attitude.

Vernam had a great game and didn't think he should have come off but it was clear from 70 minutes that Exeter were much fitter and any chance of winning started to faded away at that point.

Undefeated in October with 3 clean sheets is good. None of the current top 3 have beaten us. If we beat Colchester on Tuesday then we've really turned a corner.

Did vernam have a great game? I guess its all about opinions but personally i dont think he did. First half he ran at them and created his own chance, second half ?. Did his usual and vanished, i think he’s still getting fit and will be a good 90 minute player for us when he’s ready but i dont get this view that he had a great game yesterday at all
Posted by: Ipswin, October 21, 2018, 4:53pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Hagrid

Did vernam have a great game? I guess its all about opinions but personally i dont think he did. First half he ran at them and created his own chance, second half ?. Did his usual and vanished, i think he’s still getting fit and will be a good 90 minute player for us when he’s ready but i dont get this view that he had a great game yesterday at all

Is it really a matter of fitness? Surely he should be 100% by now There's summat wrong if he isn't. I really rate him but the way it's going he'll be retired before he can last 90 mins.

Posted by: Hagrid, October 21, 2018, 4:58pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Ipswin

Is it really a matter of fitness? Surely he should be 100% by now There's summat wrong if he isn't. I really rate him but the way it's going he'll be retired before he can last 90 mins.

Quite possibly could be more mate i dont know. But i agree he should be 100% by now
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 21, 2018, 5:00pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Hagrid

Of course Vernam didn't have the same influence as he did against Vale - first & foremost, we were playing a much better team. Second half he was only on the pitch for 17 minutes so the only 'vanishing' he had time for was getting subbed off. In the meantime JJ continued to jump under most headers.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 21, 2018, 5:19pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from arryarryarry

I agree about Hooper, someone mentioned previously he helps out defensively but at one point when we were under pressure late on in the second half they had a throw in towards the Osmond in front of the Youngs and Hooper turned his back on it and walked away leaving Hendrie outnumbered.

He gives the ball away too often for me and for a so called wide mine hardly creates anything for the forwards. I just couldn't understand how he remained on the pitch and Vernam and Embleton were taken off.

Still I thought one of the best games of the season so far.

I think we have just got to be honest about Hooper. Like the fans of all his previous clubs warned us - he has just got no desire. He is probably great in training, I would imagine him being a real star when there is no pressure.

He half-heartedly jumps for headers and one great game in 10 or 20 is not a good enough return. I am surprised Jolley has stuck with him, but if only he could gee himself up.
Posted by: golfer, October 21, 2018, 5:34pm; Reply: 46
The dog's bruises have nearly gone He has actually  started to greet me at the gate when I come home from the match.
Posted by: golfer, October 21, 2018, 5:38pm; Reply: 47
If the fans gave Hooper a bit more confidence I think we would see a lot more of this lad
Posted by: Cloudy, October 21, 2018, 5:38pm; Reply: 48

I think we have just got to be honest about Hooper. Like the fans of all his previous clubs warned us - he has just got no desire. He is probably great in training, I would imagine him being a real star when there is no pressure.

He half-heartedly jumps for headers and one great game in 10 or 20 is not a good enough return. I am surprised Jolley has stuck with him, but if only he could gee himself up.

‘No desire, no effort’?

The facts just don’t bear this out though.
According to the analyst chaps Hooper always is in the top 3 for metres covered and sprints during games.
Maybe some are blinded by preconceived ideas??
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 21, 2018, 5:40pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Cloudy

‘No desire, no effort’?

According to the analyst chaps Hooper always is in the top 3 for metres covered and sprints during games.

It’s quality not quantity that counts.

Posted by: moosey_club, October 21, 2018, 5:41pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from golfer
The dog's bruises have nearly gone He has actually  started to greet me at the gate when I come home from the match.

You might think you are "joking" golfer but i find that sort of comment absolutely abhorrent, intimating you were harming a dog because of the teams performance and your own inability to deal with your emotions, disgusting.
Buy a cat and leave the dog alone FFS.  :P
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 21, 2018, 6:21pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Cloudy

‘No desire, no effort’?

Well if a lot who were there yesterday were wrong, and the fans of all his other clubs were wrong fair enough.

However, I would rather trust the evidence of my own eyes rather than statistics which can be interpreted in many ways.

For me at least his performances are not good enough or consistent enough and his goal tally is poor - he has after all got number 9 on his back.

I totally get that we all see things differently, and players come in and out of form all the time making our assessments look silly at times, and I really want him to use the ability he has, but we would have seen it more regularly by now if he was going to deliver.
Posted by: Garth, October 21, 2018, 6:27pm; Reply: 52
Present day Peter Bore is how I would describe him, not hungry enough to make the grade, wish I was wrong
Posted by: golfer, October 21, 2018, 6:52pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from moosey_club

You might think you are "joking" golfer but i find that sort of comment absolutely abhorrent, intimating you were harming a dog because of the teams performance and your own inability to deal with your emotions, disgusting.

The moggies dead. I accidently kicked it into the road last month and it got run over by a lorry.
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 21, 2018, 7:05pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from moosey_club

You want to see the state of golfer's house......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9KXrRUZqtw
Posted by: Mariner93er, October 21, 2018, 7:05pm; Reply: 55
I think it's easy to forget that Hooper has spent his career as a striker not a winger. From what I've seen, he puts effort in, but he's a striker asked to do defensive duties and this explains some of his downfalls. I remember vernam coming on for hooper at wide against mk dons and us looking distinctively less balanced with the full back receiving less cover. At this stage, he's doing a good enough job out there.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 21, 2018, 7:25pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from promotion plaice

ha ha ...dont even have to play that .... 8 bloody 1
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 21, 2018, 7:54pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from promotion plaice

I'd smash my house up if I found myself supporting a team in red and white  ;)
Posted by: Teestogreen, October 21, 2018, 9:10pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from ginnywings
Think we have the makings of a half decent side there now. We were the better team in the first half, without threatening their keeper too often. The Vernon shot that hit the post was our only real chance created, and they put one just past the post. Second half, they were the better side as i thought they would be, but i think their better was a bit better then our better, if you see what i mean.

They looked a tad more fluid and threatening when on top than we did in the first half, which considering their league position, was not surprising. A combination of McKeown and the wood work kept them at bay, but they pushed us back and made us stretched, which forced us to hit the ball long a lot more than the first half. Our defence looks a lot more balanced now, with proper full backs. Hendrie impresses me more with time and i thought he was our best player.

We look much better than we did earlier in the season, and didn't look second best to a side at the top end of the league. Think we will be fine this season, but need one or two more signings in Jan to progress more as a team.

2nd time for this - after apology 1st time? Please reference the right player - as he is better for us. Thanks.

UTM
Posted by: Tradjazz, October 21, 2018, 9:18pm; Reply: 59
To his credit, Hooper covers every blade of grass.
Hang on a minute so does the groundsman. Similar goalscoring records!
Posted by: ska face, October 21, 2018, 9:47pm; Reply: 60
I did think it was quiet on here last night after a decent performance, given how you can barely get a word in edgeways when we’ve lost.

Glad it’s picked up now we’ve got someone to pick on though (thumbup1)
Posted by: Grantley, October 21, 2018, 10:11pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from ska face
I did think it was quiet on here last night after a decent performance, given how you can barely get a word in edgeways when we’ve lost.

Yep. 3 new threads since yesterday’s match, one of them being the Colchester match predictions. Wonder what that tells you?
Posted by: Gaffer58, October 21, 2018, 10:23pm; Reply: 62
When things are going ok on the pitch even Mr Fenty gets an easy ride on here, just think if we were to be top 3 and challenging for promotion, people would be carrying him around on their shoulders and singing "there's only one non chairman"
Posted by: LH, October 21, 2018, 10:38pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Grantley

Yep. 3 new threads since yesterday’s match, one of them being the Colchester predictions match. Wonder what that tells you?

There is one poster who is a prolific thread starter when we lose - usually blaming the board for playing excrement. No surprise that he’s one of those scapegoating.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 21, 2018, 10:38pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from ska face

I like moaning myself. Good for the soul.

If I am not moaning too much then things aren't too bad. What's wrong with that?

We don't do enough moaning in my opinion. After 17 years of complete failure, our collective moaning has been very subdued. I don't think you can expect the forum to have page after page of positive comment following a 0-0 home draw.  
Posted by: Grantley, October 21, 2018, 11:41pm; Reply: 65
The difference between when we win and lose is staggering though. Some people have been noticeably quieter since we’ve started picking up points again. I assume they’ll be back after the next bad performance.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 22, 2018, 7:02am; Reply: 66
Quoted from LH

There is one poster who is a prolific thread starter when we lose - usually blaming the board for playing excrement. No surprise that he’s one of those scapegoating.

Well I bet the board would play excrement - they're all a bit old. It's a bit sad if no-one is allowed to have an opinion that is vaguely critical - I firmly believe we had at least two better options than JJ on the bench (Cook & Pringle).
Posted by: golfer, October 22, 2018, 7:29am; Reply: 67
Quoted from LH

Only one ?  Definitely 2-3 who's ears will be burning [ or will they be smirking ? ]
Posted by: ska face, October 22, 2018, 8:11am; Reply: 68

I like moaning myself. Good for the soul.

If I am not moaning too much then things aren't too bad. What's wrong with that?

We don't do enough moaning in my opinion. After 17 years of complete failure, our collective moaning has been very subdued. I don't think you can expect the forum to have page after page of positive comment following a 0-0 home draw.  

Maybe it’s about balance then? If people can’t celebrate a decent result with the same vigour as tearing into a bad one, then maybe each situation needs a level of understanding and nuance? Especially given what people are advocating every time we have a bad run, in sacking the manager and all the staff, and starting again from scratch. Do we need an inquest and a hanging after every loss? Maybe after 6 on the bounce or whatever, but this has been going on for years every time there’s a duff performance.  

This 17 years of abject failure can quite easily be laid at the door of one bloke, but he’s not the one copping for it when the team gets booed off at half time or when JJ Hooper misses a header.

Posted by: oochiad, October 22, 2018, 8:15am; Reply: 69
All that sacking Jolley nonsense a few weeks back was embarrassing to say the least..............
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 22, 2018, 10:01am; Reply: 70
Quoted from ska face

Maybe it’s about balance then? If people can’t celebrate a decent result with the same vigour as tearing into a bad one, then maybe each situation needs a level of understanding and nuance? Especially given what people are advocating every time we have a bad run, in sacking the manager and all the staff, and starting again from scratch. Do we need an inquest and a hanging after every loss? Maybe after 6 on the bounce or whatever, but this has been going on for years every time there’s a duff performance.  

This 17 years of abject failure can quite easily be laid at the door of one bloke, but he’s not the one copping for it when the team gets booed off at half time or when JJ Hooper misses a header.

Its human nature Ska. You wont change that.

Look at any forum in the land - after a defeat the sky caves in. Your'e sitting pretty in the Premier League, youv'e had a run that includes winning every cup going, you have been winners of the Champions League for 10 years straight, and then you lose a game... crisis and the forum goes into meltdown!

Compare that to us - struggling at the bottom of division 4, after nearly two decades of decline; of course people are going to vent their anger after another defeat, another failure. The crowd were very appreciative on Saturday after a decent performance, if a bit backs to the wall in the second half.

Personally  I prefer to look at how the team is playing rather than just the result, and in patches the last two home games have been more encouraging, but before that Carlisle away game we were getting worse and worse with that Morecambe performance the worst I have seen in a long time so I can understand people being reticent to praise too much after a better mini run.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 22, 2018, 10:15am; Reply: 71

Its human nature Ska. You wont change that.

Look at any forum in the land - after a defeat the sky caves in. Your'e sitting pretty in the Premier League, youv'e had a run that includes winning every cup going, you have been winners of the Champions League for 10 years straight, and then you lose a game... crisis and the forum goes into meltdown!

Compare that to us - struggling at the bottom of division 4, after nearly two decades of decline; of course people are going to vent their anger after another defeat, another failure. The crowd were very appreciative on Saturday after a decent performance, if a bit backs to the wall in the second half.

Personally  I prefer to look at how the team is playing rather than just the result, and in patches the last two home games have been more encouraging, but before that Carlisle away game we were getting worse and worse with that Morecambe performance the worst I have seen in a long time so I can understand people being reticent to praise too much after a better mini run.

A run of three games unbeaten is great news and in reality, we have to accept where we are. How we got to this point is another matter.

The Morecambe game represented a sixth straight defeat but I don't recall too many actually wanting to see MJ go - most think that he's going to be OK and certainly better than the two other post-Hurst appointments. We clearly had a bad run of injuries & suspensions and several players had not had a full pre-season. In fact, it was notable that both Dixon & Woolford didn't even make the bench on Saturday having been regular starters a month ago.

We are a team in development without doubt, but three weeks ago a team that would have lost to Exeter.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, October 22, 2018, 10:19am; Reply: 72
There's more to a player than scoring goals.

That's all I'll say
Posted by: moosey_club, October 22, 2018, 11:39am; Reply: 73
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

That's all I'll say

Yes, McKeown has pretty much been ever present season after season and he hasn't scored a single goal.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 22, 2018, 12:23pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

That's all I'll say

Vernam especially is a good player and perhaps a role has to be found for him though why he fades as he does is still a mystery. Thomas has been brought in to sort of fill the LJL line leader role of old. That leaves Hooper who is really out of position but still gets into danger positions and is useful in defensive situations too. Neither he nor Vernam show signs of the coolness to be a true striker or the instinct to get a finishing touch on the ball in the six yard box.

We might admire them as individuals but this is a team game and a team needs a blend of talents,  it is no use having 3 players up front who all work their spherical objects off if there is not going to be an end product from at least one of them on a regular basis. Other clubs seem to have had success with proven strikers from lower leagues, maybe we should try for another Bogle.
Posted by: rancido, October 22, 2018, 12:43pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from MuddyWaters

A run of three games unbeaten is great news and in reality, we have to accept where we are. How we got to this point is another matter.

The Morecambe game represented a sixth straight defeat but I don't recall too many actually wanting to see MJ go - most think that he's going to be OK and certainly better than the two other post-Hurst appointments. We clearly had a bad run of injuries & suspensions and several players had not had a full pre-season. In fact, it was notable that both Dixon & Woolford didn't even make the bench on Saturday having been regular starters a month ago.

We are a team in development without doubt, but three weeks ago a team that would have lost to Exeter.

Sorry to contradict you but I think you will find a few who wanted him to go. I seem to recall the expressions " clueless ", " out of his depth ", " not enough experience" and a few others. It was always going to be a slow journey ( although I must admit some of the performances were poor and I was starting to have my doubts about his ability) but I kept reminding myself how he helped us to avoid relegation last season. If Slade , the experienced manager , had remained then I think we would have definitely gone down. There are signs that we may have turned the corner and 7 points out of a possible 9 shows good form but I certainly aren't getting carried away with this. IMO MJ will develop into a good manager for us but it will take time beyond this season to see that. Another two transfer windows and I think you will see a squad that will be completely his own and who will work towards his playing ethos. The one area he has very little experience in is recruitment. For all his time at Burnley working with the under 23's , they will all have been players who came from the junior levels so in a way not originally signed by him. He will need time to identify those players he can work with and those he can't. I think JJ is an example of this as he obviously has ability but needs a lot of work in " coaching "  to help in positioning, anticipation and team work. IMO MJ sees this in him and that's why he persists with him. I could be wrong but MJ must see what we see in a game and JJ's contribution is sadly lacking.
Posted by: GTFCH, October 22, 2018, 1:48pm; Reply: 76
The best thing about this current starting lineup is their average age. The midfield 3 on Saturday. Ages 19, 20 & 24. These lads along with the likes of Whitmore at 23, I hope, have still got a lot of improvement still to come. Encouraging stuff!
Posted by: Cloudy, October 22, 2018, 2:10pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from GTFCH
The best thing about this current starting lineup is their average age. The midfield 3 on Saturday. Ages 19, 20 & 24. These lads along with the likes of Whitmore at 23, I hope, have still got a lot of improvement still to come. Encouraging stuff!

Totally agree.

I'd add that mistakes will happen and they may lack consistency but imo I would much rather see us trying to bring through younger players than be over reliant on 30 somethings. Yes, a balance is needed but youthful energy and desire to improve is the best way forward for GTFC for me
Posted by: Mariner_09, October 22, 2018, 2:18pm; Reply: 78
Vernam 22, RHJ 23, Hendrie 24, JJ 25 as well. It's a much younger side than last year.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 22, 2018, 4:58pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from rancido

Sorry to contradict you but I think you will find a few who wanted him to go. I seem to recall the expressions " clueless ", " out of his depth ", " not enough experience" and a few others. It was always going to be a slow journey ( although I must admit some of the performances were poor and I was starting to have my doubts about his ability) but I kept reminding myself how he helped us to avoid relegation last season. If Slade , the experienced manager , had remained then I think we would have definitely gone down. There are signs that we may have turned the corner and 7 points out of a possible 9 shows good form but I certainly aren't getting carried away with this. IMO MJ will develop into a good manager for us but it will take time beyond this season to see that. Another two transfer windows and I think you will see a squad that will be completely his own and who will work towards his playing ethos. The one area he has very little experience in is recruitment. For all his time at Burnley working with the under 23's , they will all have been players who came from the junior levels so in a way not originally signed by him. He will need time to identify those players he can work with and those he can't. I think JJ is an example of this as he obviously has ability but needs a lot of work in " coaching "  to help in positioning, anticipation and team work. IMO MJ sees this in him and that's why he persists with him. I could be wrong but MJ must see what we see in a game and JJ's contribution is sadly lacking.

Don't see as a contradiction at all. A lack of experience for sure but the only way to get experience is to battle through adversity which is what he seems to be doing.

Hopefully the next transfer window allows him to pick up another 2 or 3 that will improve the starting 11. Our recent history shows that we have tended to go down the table rather than up after the January window - it would be nice to go the other way.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 22, 2018, 6:20pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from rancido

Despite like most of us wanting him to succeed I wanted Jolley gone after 6 straight defeats and one of the worst displays I have ever seen against Morecambe. That doesn't make me a bad person as I can only judge what I see. Any idea that he could be a great manager for us is supposition - nobody knows yet.  

From what the last few games have shown, I think he lost his way a bit, tried too hard to find the right formula and made too many changes. He has almost stumbled upon a better line up, but these things happen in football - think of Alex Ferguson all those years ago when one result changed history.

It will be fantastic if we really do have a better future under Jolley; as ever we will just have to wait to see how things pan out.

Posted by: oochiad, October 22, 2018, 6:28pm; Reply: 81
So maybe patience would help after 6 games.........
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 22, 2018, 6:42pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from oochiad
So maybe patience would help after 6 games.........

To be fair it was 6 defeats that brought on most of the criticism but the poor form, poor tactics and changes of personnel wer there before those games.

I think the jury is still out on the manager. As has been said he found a combination that works better by accident with the injury issues forcing his selection options. But all managers need a bit of luck. Just as it is wrong to lose patience too early it is wrong to be euphoric over an upturn. This team may be a work in progress but we still need to be clocking up some points as well. Points breed confidence.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 23, 2018, 11:12pm; Reply: 83

To be fair it was 6 defeats that brought on most of the criticism but the poor form, poor tactics and changes of personnel wer there before those games.

I think the jury is still out on the manager. As has been said he found a combination that works better by accident with the injury issues forcing his selection options. But all managers need a bit of luck. Just as it is wrong to lose patience too early it is wrong to be euphoric over an upturn. This team may be a work in progress but we still need to be clocking up some points as well. Points breed confidence.

MJ is learning his trade and I am guilty as anybody expecting too much too soon,

He has learnt from some of the defeats and has been helped from having some players back from injuries and getting back to full fitness,

This season will be a great learning curve for him and I expect a lot better things next season.
Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 11:36pm