Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, March 7, 2020, 4:08pm
Home in Quick time! Awful first half from both sides. No real chances, 2 bookings for us none for them despite 7/8 fouls. Second half we got it down and passed it great ball in from hewitt and vernam headed home. Fans got behind us then giving lots of grief to the ginger pig. Scunny continuing with their direct play to no gain, we won a corner and waterfall headed home. More scunny bad tackles unpunished especially a shocker on glennon when a foul not even given. We saw the game out comfortably sealed with a red for them for another horror tackle. They were shite. Our second half good, waterfall very good but Hewitt my MOM i thought he was Superb. Police poor after getting out the ground treating us all like criminals but great to get a win. Lots of work to do but UTFM
Posted by: Lincspoacher, March 7, 2020, 5:08pm; Reply: 1
Excellent 2nd half performance after a typical derby game 1st half.

Our opening goal was Buckleyesque in terms of the passing

Have to disagree re police as there was definitely plenty looking for trouble and I felt safe with my youngest with their numbers tbh.

UTM and good 3 points
Posted by: golfer, March 7, 2020, 5:22pm; Reply: 2
Agree with Hagrid, Hewitt man of the match - hope he gets an extended run
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 7, 2020, 5:42pm; Reply: 3
I thought we started the game very well and never gave Scunny a look in. Then it seemed to settle down to two very ordinary teams.

Second half we started better pushing them back and scored two very good goals. I gave Waterfall a bit of stick after the Plymouth game but apart from when he and Davis let one of their players through in the first half I thought he had a really good game as did Hewitt.

Overall a great result and in the main we made the sCunts look shite.

Only real disappointments for me was Whitehouse who was pretty anonymous especially in the first half and Grandin who dwelt on the ball far too long and kept losing possession, one time he gave the ball away and poor old Hewitt had to take a booking to stop them breaking away.  

I also wondered if Russell Slade was their manager, never seen so much hoofball from them.
Posted by: It Bites, March 7, 2020, 5:47pm; Reply: 4
Who won the toss at kick off ?
Posted by: pizzzza, March 7, 2020, 6:01pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from It Bites
Who won the toss at kick off ?

Scunny
Posted by: It Bites, March 7, 2020, 6:04pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from pizzzza

Scunny

Why the fook did they choose to attack our fans in the 2nd half ? Mental
Posted by: toontown, March 7, 2020, 6:12pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from It Bites

Why the fook did they choose to attack our fans in the 2nd half ? Mental

I assume either a wind thing or cos they thought our fans would be a lot noisier than theirs so trying to minimise the effect on the 'business end' of the game?  
Posted by: gobby, March 7, 2020, 7:00pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from pizzzza

Scunny

How do you know that? Law has changed and the winner of the coin toss can now either kick off or choose ends! 8)
UTMM

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, March 7, 2020, 7:05pm; Reply: 9
Anyone seen Stevie Cammack??....I'll say no more..
Really enjoyed the first 20 minutes, squeaky bum for the last 25, all got a bit scrappy and thought the ginger pig may have buried one of the free kicks.
Second half we dominated the ball, Hewitt was excellent in the midfield, Pollock immense but Waterfall for MOM...led the backline superbly and took his goal very well...
Thought Scunthorpe were awful at best, on that display I'd say they're lucky Stevenage are so far out of it otherwise they could Bevin serious trouble .
Posted by: rancido, March 7, 2020, 7:06pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from gobby

How do you know that? Law has changed and the winner of the coin toss can now either kick off or choose ends! 8)
UTMM

The law has always been the same for the start of a game. Whoever wins the toss has the choice of either kick-off or ends.
Posted by: gobby, March 7, 2020, 7:17pm; Reply: 11
Sorry to say Rancido but you are wrong. Law changed 15 years ago or so to that whoever won the toss kicked off. It has just changed back again to whoever wins the toss chooses kick off or switch ends. This is Law 8 start of play. 8)
UTMM
Posted by: rancido, March 7, 2020, 7:21pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from gobby
Sorry to say Rancido but you are wrong. Law changed 15 years ago or so to that whoever won the toss kicked off. It has just changed back again to whoever wins the toss chooses kick off or switch ends. This is Law 8 start of play. 8)
UTMM

My apologies, I never knew it  had changed in the first place and then changed back. Why do the change these things - if it's ain't broke then why fix it!
Posted by: gobby, March 7, 2020, 7:26pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from rancido

My apologies, I never knew it  had changed in the first place and then changed back. Why do the change these things - if it's ain't broke then why fix it!

Who knows fella, but it keeps someone in a job!
UTMM
Posted by: LH, March 7, 2020, 7:37pm; Reply: 14
A really poor advert for League Two for a first half. Second half we got the goals we needed and kept them mostly to dead balls to back into it. Loved the over-exuberant celebrations for the goals from the players and seeing Limbrick sprinting about hugging Town stewards at the end.

Well done to Scunthorpe for proving the exception to the ‘pay peanuts, get monkeys’ rule. Ya dirty twits!
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, March 7, 2020, 7:52pm; Reply: 15
Whilst on the subject of Law changes, the change to drop ball is just balderdash as is the ref not being part of the field of play. Nonsense tinkering.
Posted by: Bigdog, March 7, 2020, 8:12pm; Reply: 16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcZB20JEnmY&feature=youtu.be
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 7, 2020, 8:35pm; Reply: 17
Order restored........ at last!

Good team performance by a committed Town squad playing for each other, the manager and the once again excellent support.

Somebody needs to tell Peter Swann if that’s what a league 1 budget gets you I’ve got some magic beans to sell if he’s interested......... I thought they where really poor.

Not sure about the last time we won by 2 headed goals but both Chaz and Waterfall took theirs really well and the time between both goals in reality meant that they where never coming back and where resigned to pot shots and walking around doing a double tea pot with heads down.

Hard to single players out but away from the goal scorers I thought Hewitt, Clarke and Hendrie all played well, but like I say the best “team” won. What was also really good to see was IH set the side up for a result and look what happened. I also like that he trusted Max & Tilley to perform the wing back role when they’re naturally attackers.

Sorry to lose Glennon who looks like he’ll be out for a bit and all being well King Billy going off is precautionary.

So a good day overall. There was the odd scene outside afterwards but nothing like what that Scunt tool who called into RH accusing Hanson (yes Hanson) of sh1t housery was talking about.

UTMM!!!
Posted by: wigworld, March 7, 2020, 8:43pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Bigdog

Video Summary: Scunny aren't as good as Grimsby, and Scunny supporters are not as good as Grimsby supporters.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 7, 2020, 8:46pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from wigworld

Video Summary: Scunny aren't as good as Grimsby, and Scunny supporters are not as good as Grimsby supporters.

Poor lad, he drove all that way, made a vid, posted it on line just to find out what we’ve known for decades
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 7, 2020, 9:53pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Bigdog

That was funny. All round funny.
Posted by: Mariner_09, March 7, 2020, 10:43pm; Reply: 21
The first half was as poor a spectacle as I think I've ever seen. Both teams for awful, all that happened were hundreds of throw ins from both sides down our left hand side. It was just boring.

We were rarely troubled all game. I've seen fewer games than I reckon to this season but FWIW Scunny, along with Mansfield, were as poor as anything I've seen all season. They'll need to sign some better players in the summer otherwise they're in big trouble next season. They were awful.

I heard Wilcox saying that he thought Waterfall's tackle was a red, it looked like a 50/50 to me. I didn't think their's was a red at first glace either but everyone else seems to have a view to the contrary so I'm probably wrong!

I still think we missed Hanson, particularly in the first half when the ball just wouldn't stick up front. But Waterfall was excellent, Hewitt had as good a game as I've seen him have. Chas strikes fear into every player he runs at. But the marking was non-existent for his goal and it looked very simple for Waterfall to nod home. We played way better in the home game and got burgurled.

Aside from taking an hour to get out of the car park it was a brilliant afternoon.
Posted by: Rik e B, March 7, 2020, 11:17pm; Reply: 22
"Grimsby fans are on another level compared to Scunthorpe fans".

Yes, we know. 😏
Posted by: moosey_club, March 8, 2020, 12:32am; Reply: 23
So there were even less Scunny fans than initially thought with those 2 tourists.......liked the bit as the teams walked out to the song high ho silver lining and you heard him shout "Aston Villa" ....  ;D

Posted by: Marinerz93, March 8, 2020, 11:48am; Reply: 24
Quoted from Rik e B
"Grimsby fans are on another level compared to Scunthorpe fans".

Yes, we know. 😏

Something we hear from neutrals alot when they cover our games which nice to hear and just reaffirms what we already know.  :)
Posted by: diehardmariner, March 9, 2020, 10:09am; Reply: 25
First half was an absolute shocker of an advert for League Two football.  Few 'hooof' chants from the Town end but it was a case of glasshouses really as we weren't exactly knocking about in a silky manner.

Was glad to get to the break goalless so Holloway could give them a bit of a bollocking for just hitting and hoping.  Second half we knocked about much better but you could certainly tell the confidence was knocked from the recent defeats.  

When we did play it about properly, Scunny couldn't live with us and we highlighted that they're a quite poor side really.  Van Veen up front was all the had and he looked below par.  Wasn't really happy with the selection at the start of the day.  I thought the midfield would lack enough bite for a derby game and also any creativity to play our natural (or what we're trying to make our natural) game.  Thought we missed Benson's quick passing with Grandin hit and miss and Whitehouse largely anonymous.  But Hewitt was magnificent in that holding role, my MOTM by a mile.

At the back we looked so much better when Pollock came on.  I don't care about his age, he's our best defender.  Loved seeing Andy Butler trying to bully him and then running away with his tail between his legs.  

Clarke led the line really well and his first touch is a joy to watch.  Neither Vernam or Wright got involved in the game enough for my liking, more due to a lack of service at times but Vernam took his goal well and neither let the side down.

Special mention to Tilley who was superb when he came on at left-back.  Doesn't look his natural position and at times you could tell me was more eager to get forward but he was solid and kept their right side (which was by far their strongest) quiet.  I don't think the challenge on Glennon was a foul, just a strong challenge after Glennon got the ball caught in his feet.   No doubt on the red card, stupid challenge by their led and deservedly walked.  

Policing wise it was a bit farcical getting out of the ground but then there was enough idiots posturing, pointing and rattling fences on each side to give justification for any holding back of any fans.  Amused me the amount of people moaning that the police were holding fans back and then in the next breath making weak attempts at pushing a fence over....
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, March 9, 2020, 1:40pm; Reply: 26
Did Ollie not come over to the Town fans after the final whistle??

Watching his post match I got the feeling he wasn't too happy, not just with the bad tackles and thuggery from the Scunny players but overall he just seemed a tad subdued maybe

Did anyone else pick up on this?? He also made some comments about celebrating - I get the impression he wasn't happy with our players celebrating the way they did
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, March 9, 2020, 2:43pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

Watching his post match I got the feeling he wasn't too happy, not just with the bad tackles and thuggery from the Scunny players but overall he just seemed a tad subdued maybe

Did anyone else pick up on this?? He also made some comments about celebrating - I get the impression he wasn't happy with our players celebrating the way they did

I've said it before, he had the nouse to not come over.
We were all ready revved up and didn't need a reason to overspill.
I think the frustration Ollie is feeling is one we've all complained about over recent years, that being the substandard level and competence of the officials in lower league football..
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 9, 2020, 5:58pm; Reply: 28

Not the impression I got. There were the comments he made about Van Whatshisname, also their fat illegitimate of a goal keeping coach said some dozy things before the game and there was trouble between the benches at the sending off so I thought he just didn't want to look like gloating at the end of the game.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, March 9, 2020, 8:37pm; Reply: 29

Really smart from Ollie and shows what class act he is. He'd raised the stakes with KVV which I think he regretted and he apologised. The sending off had overheated things a bit and Limbrick was booked. We'd got the result we deserved and the situation didn't need him dancing about in front of the celebrating fans, he just left it to the players and I don't think the players were OTT. The man is a real quality operator...

Posted by: Mariner Timsky, March 9, 2020, 10:48pm; Reply: 30
Still can’t believe he is with us - what a contrast after the last bloke in charge

Top stuff Ollie he certainly won the battle on Saturday
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, March 10, 2020, 5:31am; Reply: 31
We all moaned like hell when KVV celebrated in front of the town fans in December.
Our players, especially James Hanson(if you listen to Simon on RH after the game), did exactly the same.  Why is that not wrong?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, March 10, 2020, 6:23am; Reply: 32
We all moaned like hell when KVV celebrated in front of the town fans in December.
Our players, especially James Hanson(if you listen to Simon on RH after the game), did exactly the same.  Why is that not wrong?

Big difference is KVV scored Infront of his own fans but purposely ignored them and charged over to the lower Young's, stood their like a first class tw@t and goaded our fans...at least our lads celebrated together, yeah they gave the Scunny fans some sledging but didn't just stand there..and if you watch Waterfall, he turns his back on the Scunny fans and celebrated facing us.
Posted by: oochiad, March 10, 2020, 7:24am; Reply: 33
You can’t expect the whole team to turn and run the whole length of the pitch to celebrate can you? Totally different circumstances.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, March 10, 2020, 8:16am; Reply: 34
They could have celebrated amongst themselves.  No need to gesture to home fans.

Good bit of shithousery though
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, March 10, 2020, 8:28am; Reply: 35
Its what a derby is all about!

It was quality to see from our young lads as well , , , Pollock and Wright were delighted to get one over our rivals

Take stuff like this away from our beautiful game then we may as well just pack it all in
Posted by: diehardmariner, March 10, 2020, 12:48pm; Reply: 36
Can't understand why people get so agitated when an opposing player celebrates in front of them.

I absolutely loved seeing the Town lads celebrating in front of the Scunny fans, also Billy Clark taking a drink from the cup that was lobbed at him.  

At our place when Van Veen scored, so what if he celebrated in front of our fans?  It's all part of the atmosphere isn't it?  I understand the point about inciting the crowd but if adults can't control themselves because someone stands 10 metres in front of them looking smug, they probably need to have a look at themselves.

Almost guaranteed that despite having 'Van Veen is a Ginger Pig' sung at him all game, had he scored and promptly celebrated in front of the Town end a lot of people would have moaned that he was out of order.

Andy Butler was taking abuse all game at Blundell Park.  He gave a little bit back and there was uproar.

Simple really, isn't it?  If you can't take it, don't give it.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 10, 2020, 9:25pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from diehardmariner
Can't understand why people get so agitated when an opposing player celebrates in front of them.

I absolutely loved seeing the Town lads celebrating in front of the Scunny fans, also Billy Clark taking a drink from the cup that was lobbed at him.  

At our place when Van Veen scored, so what if he celebrated in front of our fans?  It's all part of the atmosphere isn't it?  I understand the point about inciting the crowd but if adults can't control themselves because someone stands 10 metres in front of them looking smug, they probably need to have a look at themselves.

Almost guaranteed that despite having 'Van Veen is a Ginger Pig' sung at him all game, had he scored and promptly celebrated in front of the Town end a lot of people would have moaned that he was out of order.

Andy Butler was taking abuse all game at Blundell Park.  He gave a little bit back and there was uproar.

and if pre match rumours are true KVV had a message printed on his top ready to reveal if he scored......we'll never know now will we ?   ;D
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, March 11, 2020, 8:18am; Reply: 38
New game - guess the slogan printed on his shirt , , , ,

I'm going with

KVV - Ginger PIG
Posted by: aldi_01, March 11, 2020, 8:54am; Reply: 39
Van Veen felicitations pigs...or is that just reserved for former Prime Ministers?
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 11, 2020, 10:02am; Reply: 40
Maybe he had this on his t-shirt.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/5086/5319955632_a7083009a8_b.jpg[/img]
Posted by: Son of Cod, March 11, 2020, 12:21pm; Reply: 41

100%. We all flipping loved it when Ben Futcher shhhhhhhhhhh'd the Lincoln fans in the 05/06 playoffs. It's great when players give it back, it shows they're not robots. Van Veen's knee slide was well within his rights, fair play to him. It almost makes me wish we'd been in their division when they had Neal Bishop and KVV in the same team.

Posted by: Abdul19, March 11, 2020, 1:13pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Son of Cod

100%. We all flipping loved it when Ben Futcher shhhhhhhhhhh'd the Lincoln fans in the 05/06 playoffs. It's great when players give it back, it shows they're not robots. Van Veen's knee slide was well within his rights, fair play to him. It almost makes me wish we'd been in their division when they had Neal Bishop and KVV in the same team.

One of football's finest sights is seeing purple faced Big Dave angrily hurling abuse at a celebrating player, who is lucky that the invisible wall between them stops him getting the beating his cupped ears deserved.

(Mitch Rose at Swindon is my favourite)
Posted by: diehardmariner, March 11, 2020, 2:51pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Abdul19

(Mitch Rose at Swindon is my favourite)

Ross Hannah against Huddersfield.  Very tenuous link with his short spell at Bradford, which I don't think any of the visiting supporters had picked up on but he cupped his ear all the same.

Non-Town but nothing will ever beat the Graeme Souness and a flag for levels of shithousery
Posted by: Tommy, March 11, 2020, 4:10pm; Reply: 44

Ross Hannah against Huddersfield.  Very tenuous link with his short spell at Bradford, which I don't think any of the visiting supporters had picked up on but he cupped his ear all the same.

Non-Town but nothing will ever beat the Graeme Souness and a flag for levels of shithousery

What about Michael Keane?

On loan to us the season we last went down from the Championship.

Last game of the season against Brighton. We were already down and Brighton needed a result at BP to possibly avoid going down with us.

Keane scored and for some reason went mad celebrating in front of the Osmond end full of Brighton fans, pointing downwards to wind them up.

Always remember it as it seemed to just come out of absolutely nowhere.
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 11, 2020, 4:15pm; Reply: 45
Isaiah Rankin v Barnsley springs to mind too when we beat them 6-1. He was on loan to us from Barnsley at the time and made the point of going over to their fans and pointing out the name on the back of his shirt when he scored, after they'd been giving him abuse most of the game.

I don't think he played for Barnsley again after that.
Posted by: diehardmariner, March 12, 2020, 9:41am; Reply: 46
Quoted from Tommy

What about Michael Keane?

On loan to us the season we last went down from the Championship.

Last game of the season against Brighton. We were already down and Brighton needed a result at BP to possibly avoid going down with us.

Keane scored and for some reason went mad celebrating in front of the Osmond end full of Brighton fans, pointing downwards to wind them up.

Always remember it as it seemed to just come out of absolutely nowhere.

Great shout,
Posted by: Abdul19, March 12, 2020, 9:46am; Reply: 47
That was bizarre, it wasn't even him that scored! Maybe a young Keane was a big Crystal Palace fan back home in Ireland.
Posted by: diehardmariner, March 12, 2020, 9:48am; Reply: 48
Quoted from Les Brechin
Isaiah Rankin v Barnsley springs to mind too when we beat them 6-1. He was on loan to us from Barnsley at the time and made the point of going over to their fans and pointing out the name on the back of his shirt when he scored, after they'd been giving him abuse most of the game.

I don't think he played for Barnsley again after that.

Yep.  Had his contracted terminated few days after which allowed him to sign for us.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/barnsley/3519831.stm

Don't think I've ever been so disappointed with a returning player when he came back in 2006, maybe Jamie Devitt.
Posted by: BIron, March 13, 2020, 9:41am; Reply: 49
Feel like I can share an opinion from the enemy camp now the dust has settled.... What a tough week it has been,  that defeat really hurt. A derby day defeat always hurts no matter what the circumstances, however this one seemed to hurt the most. Through gritted teeth, you were deserved winners and you can enjoy getting some revenge over us.Most have you have being fair  but i have seen some idiots on social media who crawled under a rock when we won and now they are all out giving it large.  

I have seen a few comments aimed at the other Scunny fans who have gloated on here in the past at how they are hiding. I was happy to see none were aimed at myself, even in defeat i will always give my feedback - even if it means taking some days to let it sink in!

The gloating from your players was expected after what KVV did at your place. Found it strange from Vernam though, half of his family are Scunny supporters and i know his Uncle stands on the terraces.  Glennon seemed to go well over the top as well from the rest. He looked a typical jumped up Premier League youngster.  

We really didn't turn up. Only Gabriel could emerge with any credit playing for us. Although Sutton got sent off, he showed more passion than most on his brief time on the pitch.I feel he is average at best but he is Scunny through and through and should have started.

As soon as i saw Wilcox had set up with five at the back i feared the worst. On a tight, narrow pitch against your arch rivals i don't know what he was thinking.   Anyway, that's my rant over with. Although i felt you were very poor as well to be honest, I can only see you improving under Holloway in the summer.  

The future looks very dark for us. I'm sure a lot of you will take great satisfaction in that.  

UTI

Posted by: moosey_club, March 14, 2020, 1:26am; Reply: 50
Quoted from BIron
Feel like I can share an opinion from the enemy camp now the dust has settled.... What a tough week it has been,  that defeat really hurt. A derby day defeat always hurts no matter what the circumstances, however this one seemed to hurt the most. Through gritted teeth, you were deserved winners and you can enjoy getting some revenge over us.Most have you have being fair  but i have seen some idiots on social media who crawled under a rock when we won and now they are all out giving it large.  

I have seen a few comments aimed at the other Scunny fans who have gloated on here in the past at how they are hiding. I was happy to see none were aimed at myself, even in defeat i will always give my feedback - even if it means taking some days to let it sink in!

The gloating from your players was expected after what KVV did at your place. Found it strange from Vernam though, half of his family are Scunny supporters and i know his Uncle stands on the terraces.  Glennon seemed to go well over the top as well from the rest. He looked a typical jumped up Premier League youngster.  

We really didn't turn up. Only Gabriel could emerge with any credit playing for us. Although Sutton got sent off, he showed more passion than most on his brief time on the pitch.I feel he is average at best but he is Scunny through and through and should have started.

As soon as i saw Wilcox had set up with five at the back i feared the worst. On a tight, narrow pitch against your arch rivals i don't know what he was thinking.   Anyway, that's my rant over with. Although i felt you were very poor as well to be honest, I can only see you improving under Holloway in the summer.  

The future looks very dark for us. I'm sure a lot of you will take great satisfaction in that.  

UTI

Well what can we say.....
we won..
3 points...
as plenty of neutral observers have said...we were better
as your manager has said...we were better
as Radio Humberside have said...we were better
as your own vlogger's have said...we were better
as our manager has said......................don't gloat...

so i won't...any further.

We weren't great, you were sh!t, not gloating...just a fact.

I wish so much you were heading to non league and oblivion...it wont happen...we are inevitably going to meet again next season...an entirely new proposition and who knows what will happen.
However for now....until then....i will sit back and happily reminisce about a disrupted season where we were the better team over two games and with the exception of one counter attack we were the pride of Humberside/Lincolnshire.

Sleep tight...don't have nightmares. x
Posted by: ginnywings, March 14, 2020, 9:00am; Reply: 51
I think Scunny brought us down to their level in the first half, which is to be expected in a local derby. The other three halves over the two games, we were clearly the better footballing side and i still can't believe we lost at BP, but hey ho! The record books will show one win apiece.

I think Scunny are in for a fallow period, while our stock is set to rise.
Posted by: GrimRob, March 14, 2020, 1:21pm; Reply: 52
What happened in 1939? Nobody knew the war was going to last nearly 6 years. Players were largely amateur then but there must have been other costs. What happened to BP for 6 years? Did anyone maintain it?
Posted by: Maringer, March 14, 2020, 1:43pm; Reply: 53
Players weren't amateur in 1939. Especially in the First Division! A lot of wartime football was played, often with players guesting for teams. If you were a pro at the start of the war, chances are that you would continue to play for a team near where you were based in your military duties.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, March 14, 2020, 4:43pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Maringer
Players weren't amateur in 1939. Especially in the First Division! A lot of wartime football was played, often with players guesting for teams. If you were a pro at the start of the war, chances are that you would continue to play for a team near where you were based in your military duties.

Hence Fred Trueman who was based at Hemswell turned out for Lincoln City so can only assume his footballing abilities were not comparable to his cricket skills.
Print page generated: May 7, 2024, 8:26pm