Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 27 Guests

Coronavirus

This thread currently has 385,938 views. Print
347 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
pen penfras
March 9, 2020, 6:10pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -124
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I did think more or less the same thing when I was in McDs on Saturday but then I thought maybe it's a "privacy" issue?

If the door opened out then it could maybe cause some embarrassment to some? Maybe not but if you could push the door open from the inside it would certainly help avoid germs left by those who aren't so clever with their personal hygiene

I always assumed it was because if you open a door into a corridor, there's a good chance that somebody could be walking down there and get pummeled by a door. The only people inside the toilet that are walking near the door are the ones trying to open it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 3468
Marinerz93
March 9, 2020, 6:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from pen penfras

Apparently you know more than the WHO and PHE. Probably just keep your superior knowledge to yourself rather than trying to ram it down people's throat that it's all just scaremongering.

The death rate is 3.4%, 70% higher than you claim. This is according to the WHO, not a number just plucked by whatever news outlet is reporting it. Factamundo.

It is far more contagious than SARS or MERS. 3.4% of a large amount of people is much worse than 10% of a small number of people.

The death rate of Spanish flu is believed to be in the region of 2-3%, lower than CV19. The number of deaths was so large because the spread wasn't contained and so many people were infected around the world.

This isn't about a mega high death rate that has happened so far. It's about containing a disease that could potentially kill millions of people and stopping it before our health care systems are overloaded. Yes, the panic buying is ridiculous, but to nonchalantly dismiss people's fears over something that has the potential to wipe out many of us, our friends and family just puts you in the same category of ridiculousness. And as for using rum to sanitise things and drinking it as a preventative measure, probably keep things like that to yourself. I'd hate for somebody to think that that's a realistic way of protecting themselves.

The BMJ don't pluck figures out of thin air.

From the WHO website.

Is COVID-19 the same as SARS?
No. The virus that causes COVID-19 and the one that caused the outbreak of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) in 2003 are related to each other genetically, but the diseases they cause are quite different.

SARS was more deadly but much less infectious than COVID-19. There have been no outbreaks of SARS anywhere in the world since 2003.

Should I worry about COVID-19?
Illness due to COVID-19 infection is generally mild, especially for children and young adults. However, it can cause serious illness: about 1 in every 5 people who catch it need hospital care. It is therefore quite normal for people to worry about how the COVID-19 outbreak will affect them and their loved ones.

Choo choo

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 3468
gtfc98
March 9, 2020, 6:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
Wow, there’s a lot of amateur doctors on here. Pipe down and listen to what the professionals (not the politicians) are telling us.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 3468
supertown
March 9, 2020, 6:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,483
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from pen penfras

I always assumed it was because if you open a door into a corridor, there's a good chance that somebody could be walking down there and get pummeled by a door. The only people inside the toilet that are walking near the door are the ones trying to open it.

Surely the only ones on the other side are the ones going in ? So it’s the same number of people, you are not allowed to have a toilet door opening directly into a food/drink area
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 3468
Perkins
March 9, 2020, 6:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The danger to the economy also threatens health. Stock markets are down, partly because of real world issues with supply chains being impacted. Profits are affected - affects not just the rich but everyone with a work pension. Some of it is speculation, but that’s the nature of capitalism - we’re stuck with it.  People not being able to go to work and make things means lower real incomes all round. Airlines, hotels, restaurants,  holiday companies already affected. People will lose their jobs. More unemployment means more ill health (mental and physical).

All of that lost income means less tax to spend on health and other essential services.

I suppose it depends on your own personal priorities then. Unemployed or dead.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 3468
ska face
March 9, 2020, 7:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,843
Gold Stars: 854
Quoted from Perkins

I suppose it depends on your own personal priorities then. Unemployed or dead.

One often leads to the other, under this government...
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 3468
supertown
March 9, 2020, 7:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,483
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from ska face

Which way round 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 3468
codcheeky
March 9, 2020, 7:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,260
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from ska face

Not to worry we are probably spending the £350 million building isolation units  , surely we are not still crossing fingers and hoping for the best?
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 3468
Maringer
March 9, 2020, 8:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,704
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Marinerz93

The BMJ don't pluck figures out of thin air.

From the WHO website.

Is COVID-19 the same as SARS?
No. The virus that causes COVID-19 and the one that caused the outbreak of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) in 2003 are related to each other genetically, but the diseases they cause are quite different.

SARS was more deadly but much less infectious than COVID-19. There have been no outbreaks of SARS anywhere in the world since 2003.

Should I worry about COVID-19?
Illness due to COVID-19 infection is generally mild, especially for children and young adults. However, it can cause serious illness: about 1 in every 5 people who catch it need hospital care. It is therefore quite normal for people to worry about how the COVID-19 outbreak will affect them and their loved ones.

Choo choo

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say with this post. It seems you are undermining your previous arguments?

If it becomes pandemic in the UK and between 30 and 70% of the population catch it, that's going to be anywhere between 4 and 9 million people requiring hospital treatment. Just how do you think that is going to work out? I'd imagine a good proportion of those will scrape through with more basic medical care, but we're still talking about an impossible task for the NHS. They would have to jerry build treatment centres of some sort in warehouses to have any sort of a hope of treating even a fraction of the number of people infected. Let's not forget, many hospital visits by those who require treatment for other illnesses aren't going to disappear, either.

The one plus side is that the experts running PHE seem to have a good grasp on the situation so I hope people will take them seriously if/when they call for a draconian quarantining of areas or a shutdown of schools and so forth.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 3468
Marinerz93
March 9, 2020, 8:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Maringer

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say with this post. It seems you are undermining your previous arguments?

If it becomes pandemic in the UK and between 30 and 70% of the population catch it, that's going to be anywhere between 4 and 9 million people requiring hospital treatment. Just how do you think that is going to work out? I'd imagine a good proportion of those will scrape through with more basic medical care, but we're still talking about an impossible task for the NHS. They would have to jerry build treatment centres of some sort in warehouses to have any sort of a hope of treating even a fraction of the number of people infected. Let's not forget, many hospital visits by those who require treatment for other illnesses aren't going to disappear, either.

The one plus side is that the experts running PHE seem to have a good grasp on the situation so I hope people will take them seriously if/when they call for a draconian quarantining of areas or a shutdown of schools and so forth.

The parts I posted previously are from the WHO website, questions and answers section, and they are saying that CV19 isn't as lethal as SARS, and the NHS gets overwhelmed every year with cases of the flu, we never learn.

The points I have been trying to make is that by scaremongering where ever it comes from is making matters worse. causing unnecessary panic isn't the way to manage this virus. I have had training with regards to biological warfare and I have worked in a hospital on medical equipment including blood gas analyzers. Hygiene is the way to control this virus and that has come from the Virologists, the problem is, you have people with bad habits open mouth coughing on everyone and sneezing without the catch it, bin it, kill it procedures. There are videos of people in China sneezing on buttons in an elevator and spiting on buttons too.

It's the dirty like this who are the ones who need quarantining from society and there are plenty of people like this out there.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 3468
347 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.