5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
May 17, 2020, 4:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,084
Gold Stars: 190
We all know the National League is a much better standard than it once was and I think it would be a great idea.

I would like to see 2 up from each division automatically and then play-offs with a North v South final. Obviously that would mean 5 down from League 1.

Also 2 down from each division so that the National League North and South aren't deprived of the play-offs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 47
TwoLeftFeet
May 17, 2020, 5:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Wouldn't be surprised to see a Premier League 1 and 2 come about.. How much TV money etc the lower leagues get then I'm not sure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 47
IlkleyMariner
May 17, 2020, 5:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Idea being floated in Mail on Sunday (I don't read it but a friend does!)

Would take teams from National League plus one to replace Bury.

Think we would have some better away matches and avoid dreary southern trips, but presumably only two places for promotion to League 1. Possibly one via playoffs.

Also we have a lot of Exciles who would miss out on games

Could be a case of newspapers wanting to fill space rather than a credible proposal

Is that me getting 6 red crosses or the idea. It's not my idea, just saying.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 47
mimma
May 17, 2020, 5:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,606
Gold Stars: 78
The problem is with the teams that are relegated. What happens if they are all northern clubs? Do they all get relegated to the northern league making it bigger while the southern league ends up smaller? This is why Town have played in both 3rd. Div north and south.

Travel is a lot easier than when we last  had north and south 3rd. Divisions.

Leave it alone I say. If teams can't afford to travel it's because they are in financial trouble, and that is not down to travelling costs but down to mismanagement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 47
ginnywings
May 17, 2020, 6:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Feels like a solution looking for a problem. Leave it be as is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 47
denni266
May 17, 2020, 6:32pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
I cannot see how we can have a next season without paying fans . where will the money come from to run the clubs and pay wages .Without a jab for it  most contact sport will be finished
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 47
aldi_01
May 18, 2020, 7:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I find the regulations in Germany baffling. You can tackle, man mark, get close to your man and essentially play football as it should be...subs can’t sit next to each other and they can’t shake hands...odd.

I don’t think splitting the division is as easy as people assume and let’s be realistic, if the EFL decided to do that we all know that they’d make the numbers up or readjust it to accommodate B teams because they’d be dazzled with the promise of additional money etc like they were for the Checkatrade and literally never materialised.

Just leave well alone...some of our best away games since being back in the league have been southern away days...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
diehardmariner
May 18, 2020, 10:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,752
Gold Stars: 544
Felt as if something like this has been on the cards for a while.

Not saying I agree or disagree with it either way (I can see merits and faults on both sides of the argument) but purely and simply from a common sense perspective, this is the natural route for football at our level to take.

Once we eventually come out of this situation, the world is going to be a different place - included in that is football.  The economy will be in an even worse position than normal and I also think there's going to be greater scrutiny on travel (as much as I hate the lockdown situation, the improvement in the pollution levels is a positive).  Can we really justify Plymouth playing away at Carlisle and vice-versa?

I've absolutely no idea how it would be arranged and I guess relegation and promotion would be a nightmare to figure out.  But what I can see happening is that the Premier League more or less implodes because of it's own selfish interests, be it clubs wanting to preserve their status in the top flight or other clubs and the league wanting to finish the season to ensure TV money is secured.  Either way, it's about to blow up which will pave the way for the top 6 to basically leave and join a European Super League, which will generate them more money.

Minus the big boys, our domestic game will look very different and I think it will also open the door for a British league system that's regionalised in a similar pyramid style to the non-league.  
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 18, 2020, 11:03am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Step 2 of non-league already has this system and it was, as some here may remember if they are knocking on a bit like me, the normal format in the football league from 1921 to 1958. Town were founder members of the Third Division North which came a year later than the Third Division South which was created after WW1 mainly from the Southern League and there were complaints about the bias towards southern clubs. The regional idea was kept mainly because of the travel time and costs for small clubs when travel was almost all by rail.

Town were champions in 1956 and Scunthorpe were the last champions in 1958. Town were relegated from Div 2 in 1957-58 and played in the newly formed Third Division in 1958-9.

Personally I can't see anything much wrong in the idea of regional leagues, it is cheaper for clubs and it does mean easier travel for fans plus more derby matches. But there has to be a good number of good quality sides  and some games outside of the region for variety.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 47
Abdul19
May 18, 2020, 11:54am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,627
Gold Stars: 220
Personally, I hate the idea of regionalised divisions as high up as the FL.

But if that's what's needed in these times then so be it, I suppose.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Split League 2 North and South

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.