10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Mayaman
June 6, 2020, 1:40am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,462
Gold Stars: 74
Birtles was class even though his legs had gone by the time he got to us.  Mendonca too, despite his lack of speed.  I think he would have gone higher if he'd had more pace.  Saw him beat a player who went to ground.  The defender managed to get up and catch up for a second try. Doncs did him again and slotted it in the bottom corner.   Another thing he was useless at was heading.  He always timed his jumps wrong so he was on the way down as the ball reached him. If you do manage to make contact it kills the ball.  I noticed it because I did the same thing.  Every lunchtime we'd go out at work and a mate would punt balls in the air for me to head. It's a bit disappointing that a crappy Sunday league player can work on it but a pro cannot. Still, his goals against his native Sunderland for Charlton in the play off final were class. Sunderland fans still hate hims so much, apparently he's in hiding. Tony Rees was good on the eye.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 98
June 6, 2020, 8:06am
Guest User
Quoted from Yossarian
Drinkell was playing when I first started watching town - was gutted when he left.  
Tony Rees I always enjoyed watching because he was in such a great team....  

Complete agreement. Drinkell was good enough to play for England. Tony Rees with flicks and dummies, sometimes what he didn't do with the ball fooled defenders. Pity he had injuries, playing the way he did often stretching must have caused some of the injuries.
Reply: 61 - 98
coddy60
June 6, 2020, 1:50pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +661
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Mayaman
Birtles was class even though his legs had gone by the time he got to us.  Mendonca too, despite his lack of speed.  I think he would have gone higher if he'd had more pace.  Saw him beat a player who went to ground.  The defender managed to get up and catch up for a second try. Doncs did him again and slotted it in the bottom corner.   Another thing he was useless at was heading.  He always timed his jumps wrong so he was on the way down as the ball reached him. If you do manage to make contact it kills the ball.  I noticed it because I did the same thing.  Every lunchtime we'd go out at work and a mate would punt balls in the air for me to head. It's a bit disappointing that a crappy Sunday league player can work on it but a pro cannot. Still, his goals against his native Sunderland for Charlton in the play off final were class. Sunderland fans still hate hims so much, apparently he's in hiding. Tony Rees was good on the eye.

He's hardly in hiding while working at the Nissan plant, and, despite his lack of speed he did go higher 🤦‍♂️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 98
monkeyboy
June 6, 2020, 2:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
most unpredictable was big keith alexander
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 98
Yossarian
June 6, 2020, 3:30pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,097
Gold Stars: 19
Birtles was class - you could see he was 2 seconds ahead of everyone else on the pitch.  We were lucky to have him play in that team .....  some great players - that was a time when I'd turn up a Blundell Park expecting an amazing performance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 98
Yossarian
June 6, 2020, 3:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Approval: +1,097
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 98
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 6, 2020, 4:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I was lucky enough to have seen the best striker that Grimsby Town had since WW2 score five goals in a game at Blundell Park in 1959. He was Tommy Briggs and he was doing a Tees and returning to the ground where he first found fame. Tommy first played for Town in 1947 and before he left to sign for Coventry for £19500 in December 1950, a massive fee in those days, he had scored 83 goals in 121 games. He went on to become a legend at Blackburn and returned for a short spell to BP.

In 1959 you could go to reserve games and sit where you liked in the Main and the Osmond. Some weeks the A team from the Lincs League would be playing on BP.  Me and my mate would get a bag of boiled sweets from that stall on the market near the Pea Bung and walk down to BP and go in the Osmond seats. I think the Reserves were playing Hartlepool and we had a strong team out. Tommy was well past his sell by and he was struggling with his knees, but much too good for the opposition and we had Jimmy Maddison on the left wing as well. In the end we won 12-0 with them scoring 5 a piece. I remember Maddison scoring a penalty and a lovely bum-bump by Briggs on their centre half just to move him out of the way so Tommy could belt one in.

So I count myself lucky because I think it was only a week or two after that Tommy went off as player manager to Glentoran for a couple of quite successful seasons before coming back to live in Grimsby.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 98
moosey_club
June 6, 2020, 4:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,338
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from coddy60

He's hardly in hiding while working at the Nissan plant, and, despite his lack of speed he did go higher 🤦‍♂️

but apart from that Mayaman was spot on  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 98
TwoLeftFeet
June 6, 2020, 5:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Approval: +2,108
I was lucky enough to have seen the best striker that Grimsby Town had since WW2 score five goals in a game at Blundell Park in 1959. He was Tommy Briggs and he was doing a Tees and returning to the ground where he first found fame. Tommy first played for Town in 1947 and before he left to sign for Coventry for £19500 in December 1950, a massive fee in those days, he had scored 83 goals in 121 games. He went on to become a legend at Blackburn and returned for a short spell to BP.

In 1959 you could go to reserve games and sit where you liked in the Main and the Osmond. Some weeks the A team from the Lincs League would be playing on BP.  Me and my mate would get a bag of boiled sweets from that stall on the market near the Pea Bung and walk down to BP and go in the Osmond seats. I think the Reserves were playing Hartlepool and we had a strong team out. Tommy was well past his sell by and he was struggling with his knees, but much too good for the opposition and we had Jimmy Maddison on the left wing as well. In the end we won 12-0 with them scoring 5 a piece. I remember Maddison scoring a penalty and a lovely bum-bump by Briggs on their centre half just to move him out of the way so Tommy could belt one in.

So I count myself lucky because I think it was only a week or two after that Tommy went off as player manager to Glentoran for a couple of quite successful seasons before coming back to live in Grimsby.

My dad who's been watching Town since late 40's always rated Tommy Briggs as absolutely class.. in my lifetime Kevin Drinkell his all round game made him stand out.. tho Mendonca and Wilkinson were not far behind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 98
louth_in_the_south
June 6, 2020, 5:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,728
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from livvo
From what I can remember I thought Jason Lee showed that he was better then our level when on loan with us. His movement was very good

He was a striker wasn’t he ? Pineapple head ?

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Best Town Striker you've seen

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.