Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Limbrick gone?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 53 Guests

Limbrick gone?

This thread currently has 46,980 views. Print
19 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
September 5, 2020, 9:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,020
Gold Stars: 117

Of course not, but if he thought that they weren't good, he wouldn't go out of his way to compliment them. He'd most likely keep quiet

Why, it's never stopped a chairman coming out with "the manager's job is safe" then sacking them within days.
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 180
BlackAndWhiteAndRedAllOver
September 5, 2020, 10:16pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +133
Quoted from arryarryarry

Why, it's never stopped a chairman coming out with "the manager's job is safe" then sacking them within days.

But there is a clear difference between a manager's job and a chairman's job though, isn't there.

Plus, Ollie seems to be an honest sort of guy to me, I'd say that was certainly within his reputation. And let's not forget the wording here, if he'd have just said 'oh the other coaches are good', I'd maybe say you had a point, but 'best sports scientist I've ever worked with' would be a bit strong if you weren't all that keen on someone.

God forbid I try to be positive about the club that we support, why not take his comments at face value rather than trying to look under the surface to see if there's some sort of hidden message? Nine times out of ten there is no hidden message anyway!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 180
jamesgtfc
September 5, 2020, 10:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,112
Gold Stars: 190
I do think Ollie has a tendency to over exaggerate and he's gone on record to say that ALL fans rejected a season ticket refund. The true figure was about 85%. He's gone on record to say all players and staff unequivocally agreed to take a pay cut and it now appears that wasn't totally true.

However, I don't think he would come out with that kind of praise if our staff weren't up to much.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 180
vernontown
September 5, 2020, 11:31pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +93
Gold Stars: 8
How many of us could, and/or would, be able to accept a 25% pay cut??? How many of the people saying the club are right on this issue would accept the same for their selves?

Feel sorry for Limbrick. I hope Ollie is going to be a good manager for Town, but he isn't any more omniscient that any of us. Let's be honest a lot of his comments to the press are just deflecting bluster. Feel the club and Ollie's comments on Limbrick are unfair. You can't simply tell an employee they have to accept a massive reduction to the wages they are entitled to in their contract and when they don't don't agree to that imply they are doing something wrong or unreasonable. Otherwise what's the point of a contract?

So, 'John (Con) won't have it'.  Is he writing off 25% of his benign loans? Thought not!

The board seem to want fans, players, employees to fund the club through altruism, but appear to be contributing nothing themselves.

How long is the 25% reduction for? Permanent? This season? Until crowds are back?

Limbrick did a good job as stand in manager. Brought back Vernam, who Jolley obviously didn't rate at all, who could have made a significant sum for the club if we had exercised the contract option and then got a fee for him. Instead he leaves for nothing due to the incompetence of the board! Who should be the ones taking a 25% pay cut?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 180
HertsGTFC
September 6, 2020, 12:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,076
Gold Stars: 238
Quoted from vernontown
How many of us could, and/or would, be able to accept a 25% pay cut??? How many of the people saying the club are right on this issue would accept the same for their selves?

Feel sorry for Limbrick. I hope Ollie is going to be a good manager for Town, but he isn't any more omniscient that any of us. Let's be honest a lot of his comments to the press are just deflecting bluster. Feel the club and Ollie's comments on Limbrick are unfair. You can't simply tell an employee they have to accept a massive reduction to the wages they are entitled to in their contract and when they don't don't agree to that imply they are doing something wrong or unreasonable. Otherwise what's the point of a contract?

So, 'John (Con) won't have it'.  Is he writing off 25% of his benign loans? Thought not!

The board seem to want fans, players, employees to fund the club through altruism, but appear to be contributing nothing themselves.

How long is the 25% reduction for? Permanent? This season? Until crowds are back?

Limbrick did a good job as stand in manager, who Jolley obviously didn't rate at all, who could have made a significant sum for the club if we had exercised the contract option and then got a fee for him. Instead he leaves for nothing due to the incompetence of the board! Who should be the ones taking a 25% pay cut?

It sounds like everyone was taking the hit and I get that AL’s circumstances made this hard so he’s got a choice, to be fair if the club wanted to take him to consultation re his salary they possibly could especially as everyone else has taken a reduction.

Did he do a good job as stand in? Not sure TBH did we win a game under him, can’t quite remember?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 180
SDUTM
September 6, 2020, 1:01am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +179
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from vernontown

Limbrick did a good job as stand in manager. Brought back Vernam, who Jolley obviously didn't rate at all, who could have made a significant sum for the club if we had exercised the contract option and then got a fee for him. Instead he leaves for nothing due to the incompetence of the board! Who should be the ones taking a 25% pay cut?

Limbrick I fear is the first of many that’s likely to leave and say no to a non negotiable forced pay cut.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 180
arryarryarry
September 6, 2020, 1:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,020
Gold Stars: 117

But there is a clear difference between a manager's job and a chairman's job though, isn't there.

Plus, Ollie seems to be an honest sort of guy to me, I'd say that was certainly within his reputation. And let's not forget the wording here, if he'd have just said 'oh the other coaches are good', I'd maybe say you had a point, but 'best sports scientist I've ever worked with' would be a bit strong if you weren't all that keen on someone.

God forbid I try to be positive about the club that we support, why not take his comments at face value rather than trying to look under the surface to see if there's some sort of hidden message? Nine times out of ten there is no hidden message anyway!

Not in terms of management structure.  The manager reports to the chairman and the assistant manager reports to the manager.

After 50 odd years of supporting Town I have learned to treat many comments that come from the management structure with a pinch of salt.
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 180
aldi_01
September 6, 2020, 8:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
It’s always been interesting how people are happy to to accept whatever the club says as gospel, similarly, at the minute it appears that whatever a holloway says must be right because 10 years ago he got a team promoted to the premier league.

I suspect the club have thrown Limbrick under a bus in some ways. He has been unable to accept the 25% so has requested that he receives 100% of the wages he is entitled to. Did the club go through a proper consolation period to ensure that if someone isn’t happy they can still enforce the pay cut or did they just do their usual and plead poverty and hope the good will of employees shone through?

If holloway didn’t want Limbrick or wasn’t happy then say that he wasn’t part of his plans, say there was a clash of ideas, but again, because most of what holloway says publicly is bluster it’s hard to fully gauge the response.

We’ve seen recently with the clubs attitude to Shutes that if you don’t play to their tune then they’ll go pour of their way to put you down. The club have been open about their belief in setting a small budget, about offering Covid contracts, believing their way is THE way to run a club...that’s fine but it’s sometimes a little arrogant when clearly it’s not fact.

As with all clubs, these people come and go, sadly some folk at GTFC have been around too long and it’s hampering the clubs progression but fans remain the only constant.

I’d imagine most of us would’ve been similar to Limbrick regarding a large pay cut and I don’t think he ever let us down. I’m sure he’ll find work elsewhere and again, I’d imagine most of us wish him all the best.

Side note; are any other clubs actively and publicly ‘moaning’ about the financial impact? Are any actively discussing Covid cut backs and contracts? Are there any other clubs who’ve had fans dip their hands in pockets to essentially hand over free cash?

This isn’t me having a dig either, it’s a genuine set of questions. I’ve had a look but can’t really find out anything...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 180
pen penfras
September 6, 2020, 8:56am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -123
Gold Stars: 72
For your 3 questions, yes to all. Perhaps spend some of your time reading what other clubs have to say rather than repeating yourself constantly to beat ours up like we're the only ones having a tough time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 180
aldi_01
September 6, 2020, 9:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from pen penfras
For your 3 questions, yes to all. Perhaps spend some of your time reading what other clubs have to say rather than repeating yourself constantly to beat ours up like we're the only ones having a tough time.

Ever thought that perhaps people are just flipping fed up with the urine poor leadership, lack of progressive thinking and stagnation of the club for years? You don’t have to sit in their bottom all the time. There’s a very much longer list of failings and mistakes than successes over the last 20 odd years.

We do appear to be the only ones outwardly bleating on about the tough times and literally within two/three weeks of lockdown purposes came statement pissing on any potential optimism that fans may have.

Perhaps people that feel they don’t want to have a pop at the club should begin to understand that there’s plenty of us can see that the club is just existing. Barely treading water and simply have ambition for it. Having a dig at people who don’t sing the clubs praises from the roof tops or think everything they do is wonderful isn’t really necessary. The whole point is about opinions.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 180
19 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Limbrick gone?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.