Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Crap iFollow Stream - is it worth it?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 56 Guests

Crap iFollow Stream - is it worth it?

This thread currently has 9,720 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Boris Johnson
September 7, 2020, 12:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from LH
Is paying for tomorrow’s match a signal of approval for the EFL Trophy format or should I just watch England instead? Would rather spend a tenner in the clubshop than approve of the EFLT.

surely not charging a tenner tomorrow are they?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 54
lee65
September 7, 2020, 12:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,489
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Boris Johnson

surely not charging a tenner tomorrow are they?

I would expect so, I think they did last year
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 54
Chrisblor
September 7, 2020, 1:36pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,989
Gold Stars: 243
The quality issues have nothing to do with the camera being used to film the match. As you can see from the highlights here, the footage is in HD quality and far better than what iFollow served up on Saturday -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s0HInHPwHM

This leads me to believe that at some point during the process of taking the footage from the camera, encoding it, sending it off to iFollow and then streaming it to viewers, someone won't have set something up correctly.

iFollow claim to offer a 720p stream, so it's possible that since the quality when you set the stream to 720p isn't anything like that then there's some kind of encoding / stream quality intercourse-up on town's end, between the camera and sending the footage to iFollow (not sure if they use the internet or a separate satellite link-up for this process). It's also possible i'm completely mistaken on this and town are submitting the footage to iFollow at an appropriately high bitrate. In that case some clown at iFollow has compressed the stream quality on their end meaning we end up with disappointingly poor and blurry footage.

In either case it's an issue that can easily be resolved with some minor tweaking. iFollow is run by Endeavour Streaming (https://www.endeavorstreaming.com/) who are reponsible for managing live streaming of many other sports leagues (NFL, NBA, UFC) at much higher quality with no issue, so they definitely have the bandwith to offer a fully HD stream. You just need someone with the technical know-how at iFollow or the club to look into what is causing the problem. Will this actually happen? I doubt it!

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 54
Theimperialcoroner
September 7, 2020, 1:51pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,336
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from Chrisblor
The quality issues have nothing to do with the camera being used to film the match. As you can see from the highlights here, the footage is in HD quality and far better than what iFollow served up on Saturday -

This leads me to believe that at some point during the process of taking the footage from the camera, encoding it, sending it off to iFollow and then streaming it to viewers, someone won't have set something up correctly.

iFollow claim to offer a 720p stream, so it's possible that since the quality when you set the stream to 720p isn't anything like that then there's some kind of encoding / stream quality intercourse-up on town's end, between the camera and sending the footage to iFollow (not sure if they use the internet or a separate satellite link-up for this process). It's also possible i'm completely mistaken on this and town are submitting the footage to iFollow at an appropriately high bitrate. In that case some clown at iFollow has compressed the stream quality on their end meaning we end up with disappointingly poor and blurry footage.

In either case it's an issue that can easily be resolved with some minor tweaking. iFollow is run by Endeavour Streaming (https://www.endeavorstreaming.com/) who are reponsible for managing live streaming of many other sports leagues (NFL, NBA, UFC) at much higher quality with no issue, so they definitely have the bandwith to offer a fully HD stream. You just need someone with the technical know-how at iFollow or the club to look into what is causing the problem. Will this actually happen? I doubt it!

I have no clue what you are talking about. Not because it doesn’t make sense, but because I have no clue

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 54
arryarryarry
September 7, 2020, 2:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,019
Gold Stars: 117
As I mentioned elsewhere, the company responsible for providing the stream were aware of a problem.

The footage from BP is a direct HF feed.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 54
Blue Mariner
September 7, 2020, 2:40pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +32
Quoted from arryarryarry
As I mentioned elsewhere, the company responsible for providing the stream were aware of a problem.

The footage from BP is a direct HF feed.

No idea what you mean by an HF Feed - though it looks like there is a bandwidth issue on the uplink from BP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 54
ginnywings
September 7, 2020, 4:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
It's a terrible service for the money. NOW TV do a 24 hour Sky Sport pass for £9.99, including 11 channels you can watch on multiple devices, which is obviously infinitely superior in quality.

IFollow charge £10 for a crap stream that's not much better than any old dodgy stream you can find for free with an internet search.

Having said that, i would pay £10 to watch Town, because, well it's Town, but i have had nothing but problems with IFollow. From logging in issues, to crap streams that are also out of synch, and terrible communication. I gave up on them a while back and if they want my custom, they need to up their game. There is a big opportunity here for themselves and the club to make valuable extra income, so you'd think they would get their acts together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 54
pontoonlew
September 7, 2020, 4:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 181
It’s not that difficult in 2020 to sort your streaming service out, especially when the money iFollow will be making will be absolutely huge over the next few months.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 54
Stadium
September 7, 2020, 5:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Chrisblor

Thanks for this.
Interesting if anybody could confirm they receive a high quality stream (720p minimum) as claimed by ifollow??
The service as it stands is very poor in my opinion.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 54
Madeleymariner
September 7, 2020, 5:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,078
Gold Stars: 52
Previously we have had great quality via a PC on Son Ofs 42inch tv most weeks we have watched, so hopefully it was a one off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Crap iFollow Stream - is it worth it?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.