September 11, 2020, 10:17am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sp.....parachute-money.html

How much money do they need??

34M split between 20 already rich clubs means little.

Will the government step in and force the premier league to do as the government requested when the league restarted...I wont hold my breath.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Rodley Mariner
September 11, 2020, 10:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,280
Gold Stars: 185
The only way the Premier League will do anything to support the Football League is if souls are being signed away. Not hard to imagine what they will want.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 8
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 11, 2020, 10:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,102
Gold Stars: 197
£34m should be split to help benefit others that aren’t lucky enough to get the kind of money that regurgitates around the premier league. Another situation that shows the gulf between the leagues.

The spread should’ve been something like 35%/27%/23% with the remaining 15% being split between non league, grass roots community football and the pfa, with clubs already receiving parachute payments ineligible to receive it. But, I would put stipulations in place where the money should be spent, not on players but something along the lines of Upgrading of disabled facilities or such like

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 8
jimgtfc
September 11, 2020, 11:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,126
Gold Stars: 46
As a bit of a counter argument, not one that I necessarily agree with, but would it not have been better in hindsight for clubs to have been more financially savvy and actually live within their means before all this happened? I’m not sure it would sit right if it was the premier league big boys bailing out a Salford, Bolton, Lincoln or a Macclesfield.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 8
diehardmariner
September 11, 2020, 11:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,819
Gold Stars: 545
Quoted from jimgtfc
As a bit of a counter argument, not one that I necessarily agree with, but would it not have been better in hindsight for clubs to have been more financially savvy and actually live within their means before all this happened? I’m not sure it would sit right if it was the premier league big boys bailing out a Salford, Bolton, Lincoln or a Macclesfield.

Agree clubs need to live within their means.  But I suppose at the minute, what would have been presumed as a guaranteed income stream (gate money) has gone.  For the vast majority of clubs in the EFL this by far their biggest income stream.  You can't legislate for that.  In any normal business, if you take away a major income stream the business folds.  Football clubs won't be any different unless they're helped out.  EFL clubs don't have the luxury of a TV deal to prop them up.

Up to the PL to decide if they want to be part of the system that destroyed football in this country or help out the foundations upon which it is built.  Problem is that the PL is a members club of 20.  Members that were happy to make dozens of staff redundant days before making £200,000 a week signings that they didn't really need...
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 8
Sandford1981
September 11, 2020, 12:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.96
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,099
Gold Stars: 59
I’ve read countless posts on this forum slating the premier League and denigrating those that happen to enjoy the product as well as supporting Town and lower league football. Yet here we are talking about how the premier league should bail out struggling clubs. Whilst I see the logic, would accept no strings help and dislike the alternative of clubs going out of business, does this happen in any other industry?

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 8
GollyGTFC
September 11, 2020, 12:12pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,995
Gold Stars: 362
As much as I would like to join in with the pile on against the "greedy gits" in the Premier League I think everyone should remember that talks between the EPL & EFL are ongoing. And the Premier League have already advanced the entire 2020/21 solidarity payment to the EFL in full where they usually send it in installments throughout the season. That should mean every EFL club should be okay until the new year and leaves time for the EPL & EFL to make a deal. And possibly a more long term deal than a one-off bail out.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 8
Gaffer58
September 11, 2020, 6:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,103
Gold Stars: 33
There may be some premiership clubs probably hoping the majority of EFL clubs fold, that way they may think their premiership place is more guaranteed as relegation may be stopped.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 8
scrumble
September 11, 2020, 8:40pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +986
Gold Stars: 10
The PL exists purely to keep the money at the top, so its no surprise that they said no.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Greedy gits

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.