8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
November 8, 2020, 11:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,076
Gold Stars: 238
On reflection the manager, club and numerous people talk about building an identity, the bigger picture, long term plan blah.. blah ...blah

The blockers to this look like the recruitment and salary policies which I understand in the COVID world.

I just can’t see how you can build on...

- Heavy reliance on season long loans.

- A COVID wage policy that could see many leave at the first opportunity.

- Gambles from non league.

- The indication that due to fitness, ability or age the players we have don’t appear to be as interchangeable and adaptable as the manager and current program requires.

- Poor execution of basics like clearing your lines, beating the first man at corners and getting free Kicks in the right areas.

Also I’m no tac-tics expect but the current shape is not helping IMHO as the 3 up front are split too thin and we’re not getting enough numbers in the box.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 73
promotion plaice
November 8, 2020, 11:24am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,084
Gold Stars: 201

It just wasn't our day yesterday was it, we simply didn't take our chances and they scored just at the right times.

Once they scored they had something to hang on to and then sat deep and played on the counter.

Fair play to them but that's football.

I can see what Ollie is trying to do and I think it will come good in the end but when your playing out from the back you need a keeper that is up to it. Macca is contracted until May 2022 so something has to give.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 73
golfer
November 8, 2020, 11:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.28
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from lukeo
Result to one side I really enjoyed the game yesterday. Its the best I've seen Grimsby play. I'm one of these people who'd rather see us get the ball down and move it around at pace. The commentators where very complimentary of us. If you gett chance watch the game back and try to be a neutral.
We worked hard, zipped the ball around, the speed and movement at times was brilliant.
We created a few chances and on another day a few of the over hit balls would have played the likes of Green in. I'm more inclined and tempted to pay for more games because of the way we aree trying to play than if we'd gone their and played sladee hoof ball and won 1-0.

Looking at it from a Town supporter- we were shite - looking at it from a neutral supporter - we were shite. And the simple reason is that WE ARE SHITE.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 73
HertsGTFC
November 8, 2020, 11:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,076
Gold Stars: 238
Quoted from promotion plaice

It just wasn't our day yesterday was it, we simply didn't take our chances and they scored just at the right times.

Once they scored they had something to hang on to and then sat deep and played on the counter.

Fair play to them but that's football.

I can see what Ollie is trying to do and I think it will come good in the end but when your playing out from the back you need a keeper that is up to it. Macca is contracted until May 2022 so something has to give.

I can’t remember us having too many chances, I’ve not seen the stats but would suspect they had as many or if not more shots on goal than we did.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 73
friskneymariner
November 8, 2020, 11:52am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
You're sick of the negativity?

I'm sick of the platitudinous press statements every week.

I'm. sick of the utter dross we play every Saturday.

I'm sick of the predictable way we struggle to score.

I'm sick of the management of this club failing to realise they are in the entertainment business,at the end of a
season a balance sheet is credit is worth little if you  have failed to entertain your fans for a whole season.

I'm sick of us starting every season with 3-4 players short of a team

.Even more sick that none of the above ever get addressed.
I

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 73
buckstown
November 8, 2020, 11:55am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,243
Gold Stars: 80
The problems are three fold as I see it
1) We have a defence that is basically solid but repeatedly makes errors playing out
2) Our midfield can keep the ball but is not creating anywhere near enough good quality chances
3) When we do create chances our strikers are not good enough to convert them regularly enough

The injuries don't help and getting Edwards back is a massive priority, but it's depressing listening to the same discussions most weeks. Nobody like negativity and it doesn't do any good but gracious me we are a long way away from a decent league two team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 73
golfer
November 8, 2020, 12:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.28
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Is Hewitt still injured ?  If so when is he likely to return ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 73
ginnywings
November 8, 2020, 12:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
I'm sick of being told to be patient, it will come good, Next manager, next transfer window, next season, next blue moon, next solar eclipse.

Been patient- watched us struggle for years before finally dropping into non league, struggle to get out, struggle to push on when we finally limped out of there. Struggle to score goals, struggle to keep managers and our better players etc etc....

Still believe (hope) that Ollie will come good, but all we have is hope, and you know what that does.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 73
arryarryarry
November 8, 2020, 1:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,018
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from moosey_club

We all love the club, we are happy even euphoric when we win, mardy or down right depressed when we lose...this has always been the way since the club existed and is mirrored across every other professional and amateur football team supporters.

Trouble is nowadays those emotions are available to be captured forever on platforms such as these and social media. In the past these emotions were played out on the walk or drive home, maybe at work come Monday morning and then gone....until the next game.

I feel slightly less p!ssed off than I did yesterday during and after the game and while trying to remain objective about the budget / covid impacts on the squad that wont stop me being realistic about what I see.

The following is not negativity , it's what I see ..

Playing from the back handed them the win yesterday and has cost us goals in other games.

Our lack of quality in the final third is telling. Not just yesterday but over the last 3 or 4 games we have hardly mustered more than a couple efforts on goal despite having upwards of 65% possession.

We can pass the ball one dimensionally really well when not under pressure. When pressed hard we tend to capitulate and the passing collapses.

We are awful at set pieces and throw ins.

Now while I will say i would prefer to see the team playing some passing football it has to be with purpose and has to be productive, our current / plan approach just isnt.

It has been noticeable that we havnt pressed the opposition as hard in the last few weeks as we were earlier in the season, Orient/Cheltenham we were all over them high up the pitch, we have now dropped off, therefore our possession generally starts deeper in our half and combined with the slower passing play the opposition have plenty of time to reset.

Surely the club can go back through the games and click up everytime we gift the opposition a chance on goal from playing at the back, then note how many times it has created a chance for us.....assess then is it worth it ??

Excellent summary in my opnion.

I see the way IH is wanting us to play but in my opinion it may well work at Premiership or Championship clubs but isn't currently working here. Whether it is the players not doing exactly what they are being asked to do or because the players just aren't good enough. I think the second is more likely.

I just cannot understand his comments that we played really well when we basically gifted them 3 goals through our own poor play. Just what is the point in tip tapping the ball about going no where, not creating that many chances when we just aren't good enough to see games out.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 73
Bigdog
November 8, 2020, 1:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm sick of being told to be patient, it will come good, Next manager, next transfer window, next season, next blue moon, next solar eclipse.

Been patient- watched us struggle for years before finally dropping into non league, struggle to get out, struggle to push on when we finally limped out of there. Struggle to score goals, struggle to keep managers and our better players etc etc....

Still believe (hope) that Ollie will come good, but all we have is hope, and you know what that does.

Echo your thoughts mate. I'm slipping into the dangerous ground of apathy, which then leads to cutting emotional ties for good like thousands have done before me over the past couple of decades. And I'd have called myself a passionate diehard not so long back. I've seen most games this season to watch a game of football. Can't say I've been overly down or up whether we win, lose or draw, mainly frustrated and numb I guess. Only thing that keeps me relatively interested is finding out what IH can do with our zombie of a football club. Where the hell would we be if we didn't have him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So sick of negativity

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.