15 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Norseman
December 31, 2020, 12:12am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
Never liked Paul. Nothing to do with ear cupping. Just didnt like his management style and he came over as arrogant to me. So did not want him back.
But i cant believe people arent a little excited at whats happened in the last few days. Fenty gone, a new and i think wiser, more rounded as a manager paul hurst.
In many ways I am more optimistic than when olly joined taking everything into account.
Great interview from him i thought
Forget the past, look to the future, support the new regime, the new manager and the team. Onwards and Upwards
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 149
Mayaman
December 31, 2020, 12:14am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,462
Gold Stars: 74
Let's not get on their backs if we lose the first game.  They've inherited a nightmare.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 149
Skipton mariner
December 31, 2020, 12:35am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +124
To be fair I think the non league period was a devil’s chalice. The fans expected us to walk the league every season but in reality we only had a mid table budget. To be in the play-offs 4 seasons running was a minor miracle. Just look at similar teams to us like Stockport and Wrexham. I wasn’t impressed with the cup ear at Wembley but if anyone went to the Halifax away league game before that and saw the vile vitriol that was thrown at Hurst I can kind of understand it. I firmly believe that given the right backing Hurst is the man to guide us to safety this year and who knows where beyond that. He knows the fan base and potential of our great club is way beyond anything he could achieve at Scunthorpe or Shrewsbury.

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 149
lee65
December 31, 2020, 12:53am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,489
Gold Stars: 10
[quote=140699]To be fair I think the non league period was a devil’s chalice. The fans expected us to walk the league every season but in reality we only had a mid table budget. To be in the play-offs 4 seasons running was a minor miracle. Just look at similar teams to us like Stockport and Wrexham. I wasn’t impressed with the cup ear at Wembley but if anyone went to the Halifax away league game before that and saw the vial vitriol that was thrown at Hurst I can kind of understand it. I firmly believe that given the right backing Hurst is the man to guide us to safety this year and who knows where beyond that. He knows the fan base and potential of our great club is way beyond anything he could achieve at Scunthorpe or Shrewsbury.

UTM

I think you make some very good points there, as it isn’t easy getting out of non league these days, just look how many “league” clubs are stuck down there (or even lower)
I do feel however that the Halifax scenario is not as one sided as sometimes described, I went to that game and we were absolutely awful.  Whatever went on with Toto was of course totally unacceptable, but leaving that aside it was only a few days after Paul came out with the “spoilt” line, and I think (at 3-0 down) when the crowd sang “we’re ****ing spoilt, we know what we are” (Which was funny!) he could’ve defused the whole situation with a wave or a signal of acceptance that perhaps his comment of a few days earlier had come back to bite him

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 149
arryarryarry
December 31, 2020, 4:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,018
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Skipton mariner
To be fair I think the non league period was a devil’s chalice. The fans expected us to walk the league every season but in reality we only had a mid table budget. To be in the play-offs 4 seasons running was a minor miracle. Just look at similar teams to us like Stockport and Wrexham. I wasn’t impressed with the cup ear at Wembley but if anyone went to the Halifax away league game before that and saw the vial vitriol that was thrown at Hurst I can kind of understand it. I firmly believe that given the right backing Hurst is the man to guide us to safety this year and who knows where beyond that. He knows the fan base and potential of our great club is way beyond anything he could achieve at Scunthorpe or Shrewsbury.

UTM

Did we?

To be honest I never saw a list of our budget compared to other teams in the National League.
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 149
gtfc98
December 31, 2020, 6:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from Ipswin
Shame a great opportunity for a new dawn missed

Money no object for the first time ever and we take a backward step

That's it, time to try Portman Road, I'm done

Hahahaha off you trot then, idiot.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 149
chipsandgravy
December 31, 2020, 8:01am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Ipswin
Shame a great opportunity for a new dawn missed

Money no object for the first time ever and we take a backward step

That's it, time to try Portman Road, I'm done

This week keeps getting better. I've seen there forum...you will fit in well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 149
Heisenberg
December 31, 2020, 8:05am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,109
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from arryarryarry

Did we?

To be honest I never saw a list of our budget compared to other teams in the National League.

I would very much doubt we had a mid table budget when down there, BUT it’s a guarantee that we never once had the biggest budget. Bristol Rovers and Luton Town were/are bigger clubs than us, so in theory they probably had larger budgets because of income, but the other ones who were reported to have more cash than us were Fleetwood (who stormed it), Crawley (who stormed it), Forest Green (no comment, but looking at the current table that is still happening), and then randoms with keen chairmen like Eastleigh and Dover Athletic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 149
toontown
December 31, 2020, 8:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,267
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Heisenberg

I would very much doubt we had a mid table budget when down there, BUT it’s a guarantee that we never once had the biggest budget. Bristol Rovers and Luton Town were/are bigger clubs than us, so in theory they probably had larger budgets because of income, but the other ones who were reported to have more cash than us were Fleetwood (who stormed it), Crawley (who stormed it), Forest Green (no comment, but looking at the current table that is still happening), and then randoms with keen chairmen like Eastleigh and Dover Athletic.

When this was discussed at the time the usual consensus, and this was backed up by JT at the time, was that our budget was around 5th.

So Hurst had us at par or slightly  better each year apart from his first.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 149
cannylad68
December 31, 2020, 8:13am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Short memories.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 149
15 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst and Doig have rejoined us

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.