3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
monkeyboy
February 8, 2021, 6:40am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
I think i see enough in that team to get us out of this situation, we treid to play football and did ok for the state of the pitch. Newport was largely lumping it up and never really created any chances.

I think they will pull it round and suprise a lot of folk.

Hard to judge the new boys after a game but though Bunny didnt look great, a lot of his passes were a bit wayword and what is he doing taking corners at 6'5" he should be in the box!

Waterfall had his normal nearly costly mistake that he has each game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
Tommy
February 8, 2021, 7:33am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from ginnywings
A wise man once told me that it's the talented people who have the most luck and the more talented you are, the luckier you become. I've found that to be generally true as I've gone through life.

That's because it's not really just "luck" in my opinion ginny. (Purely in football terms I'm talking here)

My opinion is that nothing is luck in football. Well, a deflection is, or something that is blatantly accidental, but in my opinion 90% of the things people say is down to luck in football isnt luck.

Shot hits the crossbar. Unlucky? No it's not, he's missed. Better technique/execution and it would've gone in.

Lost a penalty shootout. Unlucky? They're a lottery? No, the team who can handle the psychological pressure and take their penalties with the best technique will win.

Ball always seems to drop for the opposition? Can argue there's an element of luck to this but surely anticipation and positioning plays a big part here.

The teams at the top always get penalties? Yes because they get into the penalty area more often and have better players more likely to draw a foul through their own skill.

Like I say, I know there are a few exceptions (shot takes deflection to divert it on target or out of the goalkeeper's reach), but "unlucky" is a word I try not to use in football.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
ex-merseymariner
February 8, 2021, 8:33am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,403
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Tommy

That's because it's not really just "luck" in my opinion ginny. (Purely in football terms I'm talking here)
My opinion is that nothing is luck in football. Well, a deflection is, or something that is blatantly accidental, but in my opinion 90% of the things people say is down to luck in football isnt luck.
Shot hits the crossbar. Unlucky? No it's not, he's missed. Better technique/execution and it would've gone in.

Think I get what you mean. I've not looked at the stats but we seem to have lacked shots and crosses most of the season.  So it's not luck that we are low scoring. Its lack of efforts at goal.

On Saturday we didn't get the advantage of when their keeper stumbled, he recovered before we could benefit, but at least we had someone close by.  

The frustrating thing for me on saturday was how often, as they sat deep, we had the back 4 plus clifton behind the ball.  So were outnumbered, so it was poor tactics in the 2nd half.

More shots, more goals, that's my logic.  So we need to throw players forward. Even the keeper at one nil down late on!

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
AussieMariner
February 8, 2021, 10:02am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,076
Gold Stars: 31
Hard to judge the new boys after a game but though Bunny didnt look great, a lot of his passes were a bit wayword

I thought some of his ‘wayward’ passes were actually good balls into the wide channels but our forwards weren’t anticipating them well enough. Even so they usually put the defender under pressure resulting in at least a throw in to us so still better than pumping it up the middle and having it come straight back at our defence.

I think (hope) that he’s one player that will look a lot better once the team starts to understand each other.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
ginnywings
February 8, 2021, 10:16am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Tommy

Lost a penalty shootout. Unlucky? They're a lottery? No, the team who can handle the psychological pressure and take their penalties with the best technique will win.

Ball always seems to drop for the opposition? Can argue there's an element of luck to this but surely anticipation and positioning plays a big part here.

The teams at the top always get penalties? Yes because they get into the penalty area more often and have better players more likely to draw a foul through their own skill.

Like I say, I know there are a few exceptions (shot takes deflection to divert it on target or out of the goalkeeper's reach), but "unlucky" is a word I try not to use in football.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was getting at in my post.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
RonMariner
February 8, 2021, 10:27am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.43
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,915
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

Think I get what you mean. I've not looked at the stats but we seem to have lacked shots and crosses most of the season.  So it's not luck that we are low scoring. Its lack of efforts at goal.

On Saturday we didn't get the advantage of when their keeper stumbled, he recovered before we could benefit, but at least we had someone close by.  

The frustrating thing for me on saturday was how often, as they sat deep, we had the back 4 plus clifton behind the ball.  So were outnumbered, so it was poor tactics in the 2nd half.

More shots, more goals, that's my logic.  So we need to throw players forward. Even the keeper at one nil down late on!

Spot on. We seem to trot out a different excuse most weeks, and bad luck is one of the common ones. I have to say though, that those who were explaining away the latest defeat on the grounds that Newport benefited from having a man sent off in the first half are taking the denial syndrome to new levels!

We lose because we don't get the basics right; organisation, skill and commitment. Other teams do these things better than we do, and beat us.

I think Hurst will get the new players to put these things right, let's hope that we don't run out of games in time to escape the drop.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
ginnywings
February 8, 2021, 11:20am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
I think with the strikers we have, we need to get more crosses into the box. That was how Lincoln had success under the Cowleys: their philosophy being that if you get 20 to 30 decent balls into the box, you will create enough chances to score a goal or two. They had Matt Rhead causing all sorts of problems, roughing up defenders, getting in their faces and winning penalties. He scored a few too.

Not pretty, but effective. We are not playing to the strengths of Hanson. He needs crosses to attack, facing the goal, instead of with his back to the goal most of the time. I've been really disappointed with our crosses and set pieces all season. Losing Morais when we did was a blow, although we don't know yet whether he is in the plans of PH.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
RonMariner
February 8, 2021, 12:35pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.43
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,915
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from ginnywings
I think with the strikers we have, we need to get more crosses into the box. That was how Lincoln had success under the Cowleys: their philosophy being that if you get 20 to 30 decent balls into the box, you will create enough chances to score a goal or two. They had Matt Rhead causing all sorts of problems, roughing up defenders, getting in their faces and winning penalties. He scored a few too.

Not pretty, but effective. We are not playing to the strengths of Hanson. He needs crosses to attack, facing the goal, instead of with his back to the goal most of the time. I've been really disappointed with our crosses and set pieces all season. Losing Morais when we did was a blow, although we don't know yet whether he is in the plans of PH.

Yes, same as that guy at Barnet who was forever getting penalties. John Akinde I think his name is. We slagged him off and called him a cheat, but the truth is that you only get penalties if you are in the bloody penalty box!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
FishOutOfWater
February 8, 2021, 3:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,590
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from ginnywings
A wise man once told me that it's the talented people who have the most luck and the more talented you are, the luckier you become. I've found that to be generally true as I've gone through life.

I was told good luck is usually when you're well enough prepared for an opportunity when it comes along.... if you're not prepared the chance goes begging and someone else other than yourself will benefit

Of course you can't prepare for every eventuality but the more you plan for something, the more chance you'll succeed and then luck will seem to be on your side
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 23
FishOutOfWater
February 8, 2021, 3:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,590
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from monkeyboy
I think i see enough in that team to get us out of this situation, we treid to play football and did ok for the state of the pitch. Newport was largely lumping it up and never really created any chances.

I think they will pull it round and suprise a lot of folk.

Hard to judge the new boys after a game but though Bunny didnt look great, a lot of his passes were a bit wayword and what is he doing taking corners at 6'5" he should be in the box!

Waterfall had his normal nearly costly mistake that he has each game.

A good point.... he said in his interview with Matt Dean that he used to be a forward until one of his managers changed his position for him

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The day after

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.