17 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
February 12, 2021, 1:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Staggered but maybe not surprised to find that the Mariners Trust haven't even bothered to start a thread for the upcoming AGM on here, the most used independent forum for potential new members or board members. A chance to stand for election, a link to application document within the tweet.. Post appeared on Twitter on the 10th with deadline for applicants on the 19th only seven days away. Makes you wonder if they do want fans to get involved or are they just incompetent? Here's the tweet below and I've started the thread that they should have done on their behalf..

https://twitter.com/MarinersTrust/status/1359601705567010820

More info taken from the Mariners Trust website..

The AGM will take place online via zoom on Thursday 4th March 2021 at 6:30pm

The official notice of AGM, Final Accounts, Proxy Form and Nomination Form are attached. You can also use the links below to download the necessary documentation:

Notice of AGM:                
    Final Accounts:                  
    2019 AGM Minutes:        
    Proxy Form:                        
    Nomination Form:            

Please vote on the evening or return the proxy form to secretary@marinerstrust.co.uk or FAO Mariners Trust, Blundell Park, Cleethorpes, North East Lincolnshire, DN35 7PY by Thursday 4th March, 3pm.

We actively encourage all members eligible to vote, to do so.  Most resolutions are standard items and have a low acceptance threshold.  Whereas the resolution to update the rules that we abide by require one third (around 240) of eligible members to vote.  We currently run on the 2011 version of the rules and for best practice would like to adopt the more recent 2016 rules.  More information can be found in a simple video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw2o_SxYXMk

As this is the first time that the trust have held an AGM online so we have also attached a guide on the process if you are unable to attend, how the AGM online will work if you are and a breakdown of the nomination process if you are looking to stand for one of six places on the Mariners Trust board. In total we allowed 12 board members and we currently have 10 which includes 1 co-opted. Three of the board are due for re-election – Alan Rutter, Sandii Raithby and Ian Townsend whilst Haley Carver-Smith will be seeking election after being co-opted. The election for the board places will be entirely independently and Geoff Bielby from Hull City has very kindly agreed to undertake this role for us.

Only fully paid members of the Mariners Trust are entitled to attend the AGM.  Anybody wishing to join the online AGM should email: membership@marinerstrust.co.uk Membership status will be checked before a log in and further meeting information is issued.

Any general questions can be directed to enquiries@marinerstrust.co.uk any questions regarding voting or the nomination process should be directed to geoff.bielby@hullcityst.com
Logged Offline
Private Message
SomeSanity
February 12, 2021, 2:13pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
Do the club still even have their own message board?

I think this is an exciting time to get involved with the Trust. New owners and a different approach to fan engagement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 166
grimsby pete
February 12, 2021, 2:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,842
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from SomeSanity
Do the club still even have their own message board?

I think this is an exciting time to get involved with the Trust. New owners and a different approach to fan engagement.

And maybe issue membership cards.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 166
barralad
February 12, 2021, 3:20pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Not sure I get the criticism. The AGM is primarily about signing off the events of the last year and due to Covid is already way past the usual date. All Trusts have received dispensation for late meetings. I'm not at all sure it should be a primary source of attracting new Membership.
For the record the notification for the AGM and the relevant bundle of documents have been mailed to every member for whom we have an email address and posted to those who dont use e-mail.

There has already been significant interest from people interested in joining the board.
I hope that the extra interest will mean that we can meet the challenges facing us. Whether that is with or without me is for the membership to decide.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 166
Bigdog
February 12, 2021, 3:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from barralad
Not sure I get the criticism. The AGM is primarily about signing off the events of the last year and due to Covid is already way past the usual date. All Trusts have received dispensation for late meetings. I'm not at all sure it should be a primary source of attracting new Membership.
For the record the notification for the AGM and the relevant bundle of documents have been mailed to every member for whom we have an email address and posted to those who dont use e-mail.

There has already been significant interest from people interested in joining the board with at least four  completing the nomination forms to date.
I hope that the extra interest will mean that we can meet the challenges facing us. Whether that is with or without me is for the membership to decide.

That's the scary bit Barra, that you don't get it. It's called engagement with potential members, distribution of information etc to your largest independent audience. It took me two minutes. So many people like me have paid to join and never received a single notification two or three years on. The Trust never learn from their mistakes, they just continue as they've always done. I've lost faith in what they can do, but it doesn't mean I won't try and help anyone else who feels like they want to get involved and to help the Trust. Applications for new board members are up for grabs. The Trust need more help. Why has it not been posted on here? Simple question unanswered..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 166
friskneymariner
February 12, 2021, 3:44pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
The Trust really needs to reflect on how effective it communication strategy is and is it succeeding in communicating hard to reach groups and is it effectively promoting diversity in its membership.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 166
barralad
February 12, 2021, 3:52pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Bigdog

That's the scary bit Barra, that you don't get it. It's called engagement with potential members, distribution of information etc to your largest independent audience. It took me two minutes. So many people like me have paid to join and never received a single notification two or three years on. The Trust never learn from their mistakes, they just continue as they've always done. I've lost faith in what they can do, but it doesn't mean I won't try and help anyone else who feels like they want to get involved and to help the Trust. Applications for new board members are up for grabs. The Trust need more help. Why has it not been posted on here? Simple question unanswered..

I value the opinions on here which is why I've been a Fishy member since 2010. Our main three media channels are Facebook, Twitter (your source) and our own website. I'm sorry to say that I doubt many people on here aren't members of one or more of those fora.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 166
barralad
February 12, 2021, 4:08pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from friskneymariner
The Trust really needs to reflect on how effective it communication strategy is and is it succeeding in communicating hard to reach groups and is it effectively promoting diversity in its membership.

Speaking as a Trust Board member we know that we've had trouble with our communication over the years. We know have a new Membership system which allows easy communication with members at the touch of a button. We still have a significant proportion of our members who do not use emails or social media strange though that may seem. The feedback we have received thus far is broadly supportive of our efforts to improve. In line with a huge number of other organisations we want our own website to be the primary source of contact. This backed with the aforementioned platforms means we reach huge numbers of people. The fact is that usually within an hour of any communication from us a thread posted by someone appears on here.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 166
SteffiMariner
February 12, 2021, 4:09pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from barralad

I value the opinions on here which is why I've been a Fishy member since 2010. Our main three media channels are Facebook, Twitter (your source) and our own website. I'm sorry to say that I doubt many people on here aren't members of one or more of those fora.

I think he just uses any excuse to beat the Trust with.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 166
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 12, 2021, 4:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,354
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from barralad

Speaking as a Trust Board member we know that we've had trouble with our communication over the years. We know have a new Membership system which allows easy communication with members at the touch of a button. We still have a significant proportion of our members who do not use emails or social media strange though that may seem. The feedback we have received thus far is broadly supportive of our efforts to improve. In line with a huge number of other organisations we want our own website to be the primary source of contact. This backed with the aforementioned platforms means we reach huge numbers of people. The fact is that usually within an hour of any communication from us a thread posted by someone appears on here.

I wanted to offer a bit of advice, genuinely in an attempt to help the Trust. I work for a global organisation and part of my job is communication and engagement. You say in your post 'we want our own website to be the primary source of contact' and that you use Twitter and Facebook as well. Because of the growth of social media etc, large organisations have learned (or are learning) that the consumer/customer calls the shots about how they want to be communicated with and anybody who wants to engage with them has to go and find them. This movement will continue and gather pace as younger members of society mature because they have never known another way.

The Trust should be using this forum because it's full of your 'customers'.

At the time of writing this thread had had just shy of 400 views. The thread on the National League has had about 60,000 views. I would be very surprised if the Trust's website has had 60,000+ hits in the last couple of weeks.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 166
friskneymariner
February 12, 2021, 4:48pm

Brandy Drinker
My perception of the Trust is it members are predominately male, pale and stale,perhaps a first step would be to examine your membership by demographics such as age range,gender,and ethnicity.This would be the first step to identify where you need to increase your coverage.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 166
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 12, 2021, 4:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556

This movement will continue and gather pace as younger members of society mature because they have never known another way.

I often wonder what the average age of a Town fan is compared with the average age of posters on here.

I sneak into the Millennial / Gen Y band but am fortunate to be old enough to remember Buckley’s first attempt at creating perfection and His second coming.

Lots of posters mention that their kids and grandkids are brought up as Town fans but I often wonder, with all the modern distractions and the twenty years of (mostly) abject failure, whether there are enough sub 35 year olds to carry the club into the future.

None of this is meant as a slight on our wonderful and loyal older support (and forum members) but it is the young supporters that will need to continue to drive the club forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 166
realist
February 12, 2021, 5:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
The Trust won't move forward until they get rid of Rutter. He is a busybody with his fingers in too many pies
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 166
malkamalka
February 12, 2021, 5:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from barralad

Am I reading this correctly? You don't want to use a fans web site because you want your own site to be the primary source? How dismal is that? Then you say others post your communications on here anyway.

Is that them doing your job for you? How long does it take to post on this Forum? That's if you want to reach potential new members of course!

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 166
Bigdog
February 12, 2021, 5:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from SteffiMariner

I think he just uses any excuse to beat the Trust with.

That's unfair, it's constructive criticism in the hope that the Trust can improve. As Barra could confirm I offered my services upon joining the Trust three years ago. Was put off by not even getting even an acknowledgement of joining and didn't like the direction the Trust was heading at that time, too aligned with the GTFC boardroom, but even today, I still care enough to promote the upcoming AGM on here, and want the Trust to be the best it can possibly be..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 166
barralad
February 12, 2021, 5:58pm
Mariners Trust

I wanted to offer a bit of advice, genuinely in an attempt to help the Trust. I work for a global organisation and part of my job is communication and engagement. You say in your post 'we want our own website to be the primary source of contact' and that you use Twitter and Facebook as well. Because of the growth of social media etc, large organisations have learned (or are learning) that the consumer/customer calls the shots about how they want to be communicated with and anybody who wants to engage with them has to go and find them. This movement will continue and gather pace as younger members of society mature because they have never known another way.

The Trust should be using this forum because it's full of your 'customers'.

At the time of writing this thread had had just shy of 400 views. The thread on the National League has had about 60,000 views. I would be very surprised if the Trust's website has had 60,000+ hits in the last couple of weeks.

Thanks for the contribution. I believe you make some interesting points.
I have an issue with "hits" in that I alone have been in and out of this thread at least a dozen times.  It is difficult to quantify numbers when there are new contributions to be read. In terms of us posting information on our platforms we wont be adding to it. There are very few comments made, yet across the platforms we've had well over 4000 hits in two days.
The other point I'd make is that I'm not at all sure that the bulk of members of this forum fall into the category that you think we should be "chasing" in terms of generation.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 166
TownSNAFU5
February 12, 2021, 6:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
The last few (helpful) replies that I have had on Trust matters have been from women.   Not a male in sight.  ( Referring to an assumption made above that the Trust is mostly run by men).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 166
friskneymariner
February 12, 2021, 6:08pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
The last few (helpful) replies that I have had on Trust matters have been from women.   Not a male in sight.  ( Referring to an assumption made above that the Trust is mostly run by men).

Read what I said ,I said it is a perception,not a reality.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 166
Bigdog
February 12, 2021, 6:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from barralad

I have an issue with "hits" in that I alone have been in and out of this thread at least a dozen times.  It is difficult to quantify numbers when there are new contributions to be read. In terms of us posting information on our platforms we wont be adding to it. There are very few comments made, yet across the platforms we've had well over 4000 hits in two days.
The other point I'd make is that I'm not at all sure that the bulk of members of this forum fall into the category that you think we should be "chasing" in terms of generation.

In two days your Twitter post has had three likes, one retweet and zero comments. Within two hours on here there have been nearly twenty posts. One it should tell you about interactivity levels with either audience and also by using the GTFC hashtag the window of visibility is so much shorter. For the sake of two minutes I find it bizarre that the Trust won't add The Fishy to its marketing base. It's the premier (only) GTFC fan's forum, the fans you represent, young or old, you should be as broad a church as possible. Not posting on here and the reasoning behind it is the sort of thinking that makes me want to pull my hair out and back up my present feelings that the Trust is never going to be the driving force that everyone wants it to be..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 166
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 12, 2021, 6:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from barralad

'Hits' is a standard way of measuring the effectiveness of your communication - in commercial terms it's about how many opportunities you have to sell something or get your information read.

I'm utterly confused by your comment about "chasing" members of this forum. Your raison d'etre is to represent the interests of Grimsby Town supporters. This board is full of Grimsby Town supporters. It is almost uniquely Grimsby Town Supporters (plus a small band of interlopers). This forum is like shooting fish in a barrel for the Trust.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 166
pizzzza
February 12, 2021, 6:27pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,723
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Bigdog

In two days your Twitter post has had three likes and zero comments. Within two hours on here there have been nearly twenty posts. One it should tell you about interactivity levels with either audience and also by using the GTFC hashtag the window of visibility is so much shorter. For the sake of two minutes I find it bizarre that the Trust won't add The Fishy to its marketing base. It's the premier (only) GTFC fan's forum, the fans you represent, young or old, you should be as broad a church as possible. Not posting on here and the reasoning behind it is the sort of thinking that makes me want to pull my hair out and back up my present feelings that the Trust are never going to be the driving force that everyone wants it to be..

Couldn't agree more, it's not just the wider reach though, if the Trust had started this thread they would have had the opportunity to control the narrative and make it positive. Instead it becomes a thread mostly critical of the Trust "why can't the Trust do this/that", etc.

I, like others, are more than happy to help the Trust if that help is needed/wanted?

Private Message
Reply: 20 - 166
forza ivano
February 12, 2021, 6:47pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,305
Gold Stars: 266
FAO PIZZZA / BIGDOG  (&  BARRALAD)

How about one of you (or anyone else on here who is a Trust member)  volunteer to post Trust information on here? It'd take very little effort and would be doing something useful.
By 'driving the agenda' the Trust gets immediate positive coverage, and hopefully could be used to encourage more people to join?

It might not seem a big thing, but I'm a firm believer in the David Brailsford philosophy that to improve 100% you need to improve 100 things by 1%
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 166
DB
February 12, 2021, 7:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.34
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,069
Gold Stars: 391
My perception of the Trust is it members are predominately male, pale and stale,perhaps a first step would be to examine your membership by demographics such as age range,gender,and ethnicity.This would be the first step to identify where you need to increase your coverage.

So I'm White ( when I have a wash ) male, old and state my opinions. Should I join the Trust being a Town supporter or not ?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 166
friskneymariner
February 12, 2021, 7:15pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from DB

So I'm White ( when I have a wash ) male, old and state my opinions. Should I join the Trust being a Town supporter or not ?

Not very good about this diversity thing are you,it's about reasons why people don't join.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 166
barralad
February 12, 2021, 7:16pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from malkamalka

Am I reading this correctly? You don't want to use a fans web site because you want your own site to be the primary source? How dismal is that? Then you say others post your communications on here anyway.

Is that them doing your job for you? How long does it take to post on this Forum? That's if you want to reach potential new members of course!

This thread started as a criticism (valid or not depending on your point of view) of the fact that the Trust didnt post on here the details of the AGM. Like it or not the AGM is aimed primarily at fully paid up members inviting them to the meeting. There is no measurable benefit to posting that information on here.
If I wanted to find out about an organisation that I was interested in joining I would search for the website belonging to that organisation.
In the past I've posted detail on here and will do so again.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 166
DB
February 12, 2021, 7:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Not very good about this diversity thing are you,it's about reasons why people don't join.

Diversity , It means understanding that each individual is unique, and recognizing our individual differences. These can be along the dimensions of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious beliefs, political beliefs, or other ideologies.

or

A dance group

Not very good about this diversity thing are you !

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 166
Bigdog
February 12, 2021, 7:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from barralad

This thread started as a criticism (valid or not depending on your point of view) of the fact that the Trust didnt post on here the details of the AGM. Like it or not the AGM is aimed primarily at fully paid up members inviting them to the meeting. There is no measurable benefit to posting that information on here.
If I wanted to find out about an organisation that I was interested in joining I would search for the website belonging to that organisation.
In the past I've posted detail on here and will do so again.

So why post it on Twitter and Facebook then?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 166
friskneymariner
February 12, 2021, 7:50pm

Brandy Drinker
Only equality and diversity manager .for large public sector organisation for 13 years,your call

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 166
Fishy clapper
February 12, 2021, 8:06pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +78
Gold Stars: 14
Only equality and diversity manager .for large public sector organisation for 13 years,your call

Shite operations manger pushed sideways?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 166
friskneymariner
February 12, 2021, 8:09pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Fishy clapper

Shite operations manger pushed sideways?

Shite operations coming to the realisation the system did not care about the people it was supposed to be helping .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 166
Wrawby_Mariner
February 12, 2021, 8:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
I think in terms of the Comms, these should serve to to stay in the mind  of fans members or not. The Trust must be seen to be ‘active’. In terms of the AGM, yes it is for members but there needs to create some intrigue from non members.

Take the customer journey funnel. Those little extra posts on message boards etc. Can help turn ‘interest’ into ‘purchase’ and then ‘retention’.

Not a criticism in the slightest to the trust board, I can see why the decision was made. For what it’s worth the news there is a number of people willing to put their names forward is great to see. In fact I think I think I’ll be one of those people as I think I have something to offer the trust which In turn can help the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 30 - 166
pizzzza
February 12, 2021, 9:17pm

Pontoonite
Quoted from forza ivano
FAO PIZZZA / BIGDOG  (&  BARRALAD)

How about one of you (or anyone else on here who is a Trust member)  volunteer to post Trust information on here? It'd take very little effort and would be doing something useful.
By 'driving the agenda' the Trust gets immediate positive coverage, and hopefully could be used to encourage more people to join?

It might not seem a big thing, but I'm a firm believer in the David Brailsford philosophy that to improve 100% you need to improve 100 things by 1%

Good idea Forza, I do follow the Trust on Twitter so it would not be a problem for me to copy and paste any info to here if not posted already. Every little helps

Question for Barralad, do you think this would be a help / useful if I were to do this?
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 166
LH
February 12, 2021, 9:27pm

Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,617
Gold Stars: 177
Some interesting and relevant points raised in this thread.

Comms: In recent GTFO discussions it was felt that the Trust could vastly improve comms with a better use of wider social media. Interesting to see that people don’t think that to be the case and they should concentrate more on social media with a narrower focus on Town!

Age range of The Fishy: I’m not sure it’s as young as people might think on here. I’d put the average age at somewhere in the late 40s/50s but Pete, barralad and one or two others definitely bump that up!
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 166
LH
February 12, 2021, 9:30pm

Also I suggested some time ago that there could be a dedicated board on here for Trust concerns. Looks as if the demand is there Rob/Ian.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 166
pizzzza
February 12, 2021, 9:40pm

Pontoonite
Quoted from LH

Comms: In recent GTFO discussions it was felt that the Trust could vastly improve comms with a better use of wider social media.

Hi, what is GTFO?
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 166
February 12, 2021, 9:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from pizzzza

Hi, what is GTFO?

Get That Fenty Out?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 166
LH
February 12, 2021, 9:49pm

It was Grimsby Town Fenty Out but is now Grimsby Town Fans Online. We were pretty prominent on Twitter for a brief period over the Christmas break: @GTFansOnline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 166
DB
February 12, 2021, 10:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
It's nice to read all these comments but being part of 'bump that up' age I am becoming confuse about all these abbreviations comms, funnel and GTFO. Do I stick a comms down a funnel to gat a GTFO, or funnel a GTFO to get comms, or shove a GTFO down a funnel and become confused !

Abbreviations are good if you know what they mean and bumping up at my age is confusing enough.

On a serious note as the club will have new owners soon joining the Trust may be beneficial as you can have a voice. How the trust communicates is up to its members but for me I don't do social media.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 166
toontown
February 12, 2021, 10:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,267
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from pizzzza

Good idea Forza, I do follow the Trust on Twitter so it would not be a problem for me to copy and paste any info to here if not posted already. Every little helps

Question for Barralad, do you think this would be a help / useful if I were to do this?

Yes surely this can only help with what is a real achilles heel for the trust
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 166
KingstonMariner
February 13, 2021, 12:11am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.03
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Can’t help but shake my head in sadness reading Barra’s replies. I know you mean well, but come on. It’s like the parish council not reaching out to the WI because ‘they know where the notice board is outside the church if they want to come to meetings’.

You ought to quickly take pizzza up on his offer to do what Forza proposed.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 166
toontown
February 13, 2021, 8:11am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Can’t help but shake my head in sadness reading Barra’s replies. I know you mean well, but come on. It’s like the parish council not reaching out to the WI because ‘they know where the notice board is outside the church if they want to come to meetings’.

You ought to quickly take pizzza up on his offer to do what Forza proposed.

Spot on

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 166
toontown
February 13, 2021, 8:16am
Whiskey Drinker
The Trust doesn't have to post everything in full on here, but just a headline and a link to their website if they wantvto drive traffic there. Just to signpost people who wouldn't otherwise be aware and, who knows, if they're not members maybe it will encourage them to become so if they see what it does on a regular basis, rather than never becoming aware of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 166
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 13, 2021, 9:33am
Champagne Drinker
Before I got involved in this thread I was sceptical about the Trust but open minded. Having read Barralad's comments I am now convinced that they are out of touch and out of date. I believe that they do not represent the interests of all Grimsby Town fans, just a small minority of Town fans with a certain view of the world (in respect to GTFC, nothing else).

The comment about them being like the Parish Council not reaching out to the WI is both funny and accurate.

I would urge anyone who can commit the time to attend the AGM, put themselves up for election and make the trust the representative of all fans.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 166
ginnywings
February 13, 2021, 10:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
The latest CA diary mentions the Trust and it's misgivings about it.

http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=7834

For my part, I think the Trust have perception issues. Rightly or wrongly, people perceive it in a certain light that isn't favourable and it needs to relaunch or rebrand itself somehow to make it more accessible. It definitely has communication issues and it's not on the radar of your average Town fan.

I'm loath to criticise them because of the work they do and the time they give, but they are seriously out of touch in my opinion.

I also believe they are seen as associated with the outgoing regime, which needs to change somehow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 166
friskneymariner
February 13, 2021, 10:48am

Brandy Drinker
I can only speak regarding my own comments,but I would like to state my comments about the Trust are not made with any malice,but with the hope that the Trust Board might reflect on some of the issues to improve their representativeness of the fan base.However I appear to have elicited a somewhat defensive response from some members.
This is not how an organisation learns but appears to smack of some people being overly sensitive to criticism.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 166
dapperz fun pub
February 13, 2021, 11:05am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,084
Gold Stars: 84
Said it before ..when the trust gave the shares away the trust was finished for me and I suspect many others
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 11:08am
Mariners Trust
Before I got involved in this thread I was sceptical about the Trust but open minded. Having read Barralad's comments I am now convinced that they are out of touch and out of date. I believe that they do not represent the interests of all Grimsby Town fans, just a small minority of Town fans with a certain view of the world (in respect to GTFC, nothing else).

The comment about them being like the Parish Council not reaching out to the WI is both funny and accurate.

I would urge anyone who can commit the time to attend the AGM, put themselves up for election and make the trust the representative of all fans.

I'm intrigued as to which fans constitute the minority that we represent. Care to expand?
Would it be for example the twitterati , facebook users or the significant number of our members (and Town fans at large) who don't use the Internet or use or even know of the existence of the Fishy?
When we've got beyond communication there is an awful lot of work much of it boring and definitely unsexy that needs doing.
So whilst I'd wholeheartedly welcome the involvement of others it would be with the proviso that they are prepared to roll up their collective sleeves and graft.
BTW I'd also recommend that they read the rules as highlighted by the OP because signed nomination forms together with a 300 to 1000 word address on what they skills they hope to bring to the table to benefit the organisation need to be with the independent overseer by Friday 19 February. This will help the members decide if a vote is needed.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 11:27am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Said it before ..when the trust gave the shares away the trust was finished for me and I suspect many others

Said it before  had you and all the others who have made the same comment over the 8 plus years since the vote been members then WE might have been able to overturn the result.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 11:29am
Mariners Trust
I can only speak regarding my own comments,but I would like to state my comments about the Trust are not made with any malice,but with the hope that the Trust Board might reflect on some of the issues to improve their representativeness of the fan base.However I appear to have elicited a somewhat defensive response from some members.
This is not how an organisation learns but appears to smack of some people being overly sensitive to criticism.

Not sure if this is aimed at me mate but be assured I accept all your comments in the spirit I know they were meant.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 166
grimsby pete
February 13, 2021, 11:34am

Exile
I got an e mail telling me about the AGM did all members ?

I agree posting on the fishy should not be a problem as Ian has spent far more time saying on here saying why they haven't.

I have decided after years of asking.

On my gravestone I will put . I told you I was ill.
                                                   I only ever wanted a mariners Trust membership card.

And.            Depending whether I ever get into our new ground.

At least I got my team play in our new stadium
                                    Or.            I never did get to see my team play in a new stadium.

End of moan.  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 166
malkamalka
February 13, 2021, 11:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

I'm intrigued as to which fans constitute the minority that we represent. Care to expand?
Would it be for example the twitterati , facebook users or the significant number of our members (and Town fans at large) who don't use the Internet or use or even know of the existence of the Fishy?

It's obvious from your comments that you don't know the history of your own organisation. How you managed to get so many people joining the Trust in it's earliest days.

However, your comments to people trying to HELP the Trust are typical of an out of touch entity. Nobody is saying that The Fishy becomes the sole notice board for Trust activities, just an additional opportunity to advertise freely.

As someone has pointed out, a headline and a link to the Trust web site would suffice if you are more interested in "hits" on your own site than getting your message across as widely as possible.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 11:46am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from grimsby pete
I got an e mail telling me about the AGM did all members ?

I agree posting on the fishy should not be a problem as Ian has spent far more time saying on here saying why they haven't.

I have decided after years of asking.

On my gravestone I will put . I told you I was ill.
                                                   I only ever wanted a mariners Trust membership card.

And.            Depending whether I ever get into our new ground.

At least I got my team play in our new stadium
                                    Or.            I never did get to see my team play in a new stadium.

End of moan.  

I am reliably informed Pete by our Membership team that if you log on to our new Membership system you can download your own membership card...you're welcome 😊

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 166
Davec
February 13, 2021, 11:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
I really don't understand why the Trust are unwilling to post/share things on here? they do it on social media so why not on here? what harm can it do? and it takes very little time, a minute at most.

nobody is saying this should be instead of the Trust website and social media but why can't it be aswell as the trust website and social media.

I find it ironic that a member of the Trust's board is happy to take the time to explain why he thinks they should not post things on The Fishy but yet he is not happy to take the time in actually posting/sharing content on here which opens this information up to posters who do not use social media.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 166
grimsby pete
February 13, 2021, 11:58am

Exile
Quoted from barralad

I am reliably informed Pete by our Membership team that if you log on to our new Membership system you can download your own membership card...you're welcome 😊

Yipee !!!!!!! Thanks Ian I will get the grandkids to do it for me.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 12:04pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from malkamalka

It's obvious from your comments that you don't know the history of your own organisation. How you managed to get so many people joining the Trust in it's earliest days.

However, your comments to people trying to HELP the Trust are typical of an out of touch entity. Nobody is saying that The Fishy becomes the sole notice board for Trust activities, just an additional opportunity to advertise freely.

As someone has pointed out, a headline and a link to the Trust web site would suffice if you are more interested in "hits" on your own site than getting your message across as widely as possible.

Might I point out that the highlighted quote has been taken out of context? I made that point to counter the argument that we "only" represent a small minority of town fans. As such the history of the Trust has no bearing on it.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 166
moosey_club
February 13, 2021, 12:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,338
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from Davec
I really don't understand why the Trust are unwilling to post/share things on here? they do it on social media so why not on here? what harm can it do? and it takes very little time, a minute at most.

nobody is saying this should be instead of the Trust website and social media but why can't it be aswell as the trust website and social media.

I find it ironic that a member of the Trust's board is happy to take the time to explain why he thinks they should not post things on The Fishy but yet he is not happy to take the time in actually posting/sharing content on here which opens this information up to posters who do not use social media.

Potentially.....the perceived cozying up of the Trust to the existing regime and the existing regimes obsessive suspicion of this forum and its "small vocal minority" and the Fishy 5 ( or was it 4 ? )  it maybe wasnt seen to be conducive to the relationship.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 166
KingstonMariner
February 13, 2021, 12:19pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
The latest CA diary mentions the Trust and it's misgivings about it.

http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=7834

For my part, I think the Trust have perception issues. Rightly or wrongly, people perceive it in a certain light that isn't favourable and it needs to relaunch or rebrand itself somehow to make it more accessible. It definitely has communication issues and it's not on the radar of your average Town fan.

I'm loath to criticise them because of the work they do and the time they give, but they are seriously out of touch in my opinion.

I also believe they are seen as associated with the outgoing regime, which needs to change somehow.

Please no! Not another rebranding. We had one of those and after the initial splash things died down. They just absorb the time of people in the organisation doing things for the rebranding whilst missing out on doing what should be done. Busyness rather than business.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 166
grimsby pete
February 13, 2021, 12:21pm

Exile
Under Fent y the trust was told to keep their distance from the fishy.  I wonder why ?  

Under the new board I am sure that will not be the case.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 166
ginnywings
February 13, 2021, 12:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Well, the new board will be in place soon, so let's wait and see what happens then.

Mr Eastwood especially, seems to be an inclusive type of guy, whereas it seemed to many that the old guard tolerated the Trust in a keep your enemies close kind of way.

I always thought the Trust should have been outside the boardroom under the JF regime, but under the new one, they are in the right place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 166
ginnywings
February 13, 2021, 12:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic

Please no! Not another rebranding. We had one of those and after the initial splash things died down. They just absorb the time of people in the organisation doing things for the rebranding whilst missing out on doing what should be done. Busyness rather than business.

Perhaps the wrong choice of wording. It somehow needs to change the way it is perceived, is all.

The new regime will help in that regard I hope.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 166
KingstonMariner
February 13, 2021, 12:35pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Perhaps the wrong choice of wording. It somehow needs to change the way it is perceived, is all.

The new regime will help in that regard I hope.

It needs to focus on expanding membership. I’ve never felt it’s done enough in that regard (both pre and post rebranding). Being given those shares by Mike Parker was almost the worst thing that can have happened in a way. It gave instant weight without being forced to go on a mass recruiting drive.

There’s lots of good work done by and through the Trust but in a way it’s a distraction from its primary function, represent the interests of supporters and that can only be achieved through membership. It all takes time away from banging the drum.

Membership Membership Membership.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 166
KingstonMariner
February 13, 2021, 12:37pm
Meths Drinker
To protect the interests of the supporters long term, the objective should be 51% ownership of the club like they have in Germany.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 1:22pm
Mariners Trust

It needs to focus on expanding membership. I’ve never felt it’s done enough in that regard (both pre and post rebranding). Being given those shares by Mike Parker was almost the worst thing that can have happened in a way. It gave instant weight without being forced to go on a mass recruiting drive.

There’s lots of good work done by and through the Trust but in a way it’s a distraction from its primary function, represent the interests of supporters and that can only be achieved through membership. It all takes time away from banging the drum.

Membership Membership Membership.

It was recognised a while ago that you were right in regard to membership. Part of the problem was our lack of ability to follow up on those whose membership had lapsed because our (very) aged membership system didnt have that facility.
The new membership system is in effect controlled by the individual member who can log in and update personal details etc. It will send out automatic reminders to renew.
Since Christmas we have been able to explore this to great effect. A surprising number of people we contacted stated that they had just forgotten to renew. Since the turn of the year we have added a significant number. Some of these will be of course because of an interest in the potential take over but nevertheless it represents a promising start.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 166
jamesgtfc
February 13, 2021, 1:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,106
Gold Stars: 190
It really is disheartening to read some of the replies on here from the Trust.

A lot of people don't visit websites anymore, people want their news in a concise and social manner. I'm not saying that the website needs sacking off but there needs to be a huge drive on communication across a wide range. Snide comments don't help matters one bit.

Utilise free tools like HootSuite to schedule social media posts and make it less of a chore. I use Canva as a design tool myself and it's great for what the Trust needs.

Put yourselves out there to the masses, be approachable and the membership will increase. Negativity helps nobody.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 166
friskneymariner
February 13, 2021, 1:26pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Not sure if this is aimed at me mate but be assured I accept all your comments in the spirit I know they were meant.

More importantly do you feel it was aimed at you.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 1:47pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from moosey_club

Potentially.....the perceived cozying up of the Trust to the existing regime and the existing regimes obsessive suspicion of this forum and its "small vocal minority" and the Fishy 5 ( or was it 4 ? )  it maybe wasnt seen to be conducive to the relationship.

Not that it will make much difference to the hardened views on here but I need to refute this. At no point ever was it suggested by the club that we avoid contact with The Fishy. As a long time member of this board I wouldnt have accepted that sort of restriction.
The Fishy is a good source of information about the way part of the fan base is feeling. Quite a few issues have been identified on here and actioned in our discussions with the club. The one that sticks in my mind was the mess created over the sale of tickets to the Donny away game first season back. This was the first place the Trust realised there was a problem and although we couldnt do anything about that game we were able to ensure the club never went down that road again.
I get a much better view in my opinion because the Trust aren't involved in the debate. This whole thread is a good example of the restrictions the Trust put on debate. Some excellent points have been made but the very mention of The Trust wheels out opinions which although perfectly valid bring nothing to the debate in question.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 166
MrFisherman
February 13, 2021, 2:43pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: -168
Ah well looks like yet again the Trust haven't done themselves any favours by alienating Town fans!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 166
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 13, 2021, 2:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Not that it will make much difference to the hardened views on here but I need to refute this. At no point ever was it suggested by the club that we avoid contact with The Fishy. As a long time member of this board I wouldnt have accepted that sort of restriction.
The Fishy is a good source of information about the way part of the fan base is feeling. Quite a few issues have been identified on here and actioned in our discussions with the club. The one that sticks in my mind was the mess created over the sale of tickets to the Donny away game first season back. This was the first place the Trust realised there was a problem and although we couldnt do anything about that game we were able to ensure the club never went down that road again.
I get a much better view in my opinion because the Trust aren't involved in the debate. This whole thread is a good example of the restrictions the Trust put on debate. Some excellent points have been made but the very mention of The Trust wheels out opinions which although perfectly valid bring nothing to the debate in question.

Barralad, I want to thank you for having the balls to enter into this discussion and take some of the stick that's being handed out to the trust. This is the most communication I personally have ever seen from the trust. I appreciate the opportunity to have a conversation about the trust with a board member.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 3:07pm
Mariners Trust

Barralad, I want to thank you for having the balls to enter into this discussion and take some of the stick that's being handed out to the trust. This is the most communication I personally have ever seen from the trust. I appreciate the opportunity to have a conversation about the trust with a board member.

Thanks for the feedback. I've tried not to hide on here or anywhere else as far as The Trust is concerned.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 166
malkamalka
February 13, 2021, 3:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Might I point out that the highlighted quote has been taken out of context? I made that point to counter the argument that we "only" represent a small minority of town fans. As such the history of the Trust has no bearing on it.

Even though the membership of the original fan's forum, GTISC, which was created at the same time as the forerunner of The Fishy (The Electronic Fishcake), was handed to The Trust on a plate by the then ownership of that platform?

Your arguments appear to be designed to lose membership rather than entice potential new ones.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 166
friskneymariner
February 13, 2021, 3:28pm

Brandy Drinker

Second that for one minute do not think any of this is personal Ian.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 166
forza ivano
February 13, 2021, 3:43pm

Exile
Quoted from jamesgtfc

A lot of people don't visit websites anymore, people want their news in a concise and social manner. I'm not saying that the website needs sacking off but there needs to be a huge drive on communication across a wide range. Snide comments don't help matters one bit.

Utilise free tools like HootSuite to schedule social media posts and make it less of a chore. I use Canva as a design tool myself and it's great for what the Trust needs.

Put yourselves out there to the masses, be approachable and the membership will increase. Negativity helps nobody.

Not being funny James, but maybe it would be a good idea if you could pm barralad, or email the Trust, and outline what could be done, and how it could be done
3 other side points
1)when the Trust was founded the several hundred members of It's A Grim Exile was also 'folded in'
2) i know from personal experience how difficult it is to keep getting a membership to renew their fees. It does take some time and tenacity and you are always going to lose a fair few along the way
3) i think there is a 'chicken and egg' aspect to the criticism of the Trust and Barra's /The Trust's defensiveness. i think i'd be pretty touchy if i was giving up my time and putting in that amount of unpaid effort and then seeing criticism from people who aren't members or who just carp from the sidelines and won't help. Equally the Trust would be silly to ignore some of the more sensible viewpoints and advice that have been aired on this thread.

I just hope that with the Holy Trinity coming in, which will mean the club will be upping it's game, that the Trust will also be able to up its game. I'm certain it can only do so if more people do a little bit to help
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 166
dapperz fun pub
February 13, 2021, 4:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Said it before  had you and all the others who have made the same comment over the 8 plus years since the vote been members then WE might have been able to overturn the result.

Even with a bigger vote the outcome would have been the same in the end
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 166
moosey_club
February 13, 2021, 4:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

i did say potentially and perceived....not FACT.  It was just a comment in response to the previous post.

I certainly value the presence of having the Trust inside the club although felt how the place was gained, the finance they were handing over for that seat and certain individual(s) who seemed to be very non supporter bias tarnish it for me.

I hope that the seat is retained and will hopefully actually gain influence when any takeover is complete as at the moment , to us on the outside , it just appears to be that fluffy cat that sits on Ernest Blofelds knee, miaowing every now and then when it feels uncomfortable but not really having any effect on its tyrannical owners schemes.

One easy way to improve that would be for as soon as the takeover is complete is for the trust to reveal " I'm Spartacus" in the whole May scandal.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 4:36pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Even with a bigger vote the outcome would have been the same in the end

Yeah. You are probably right.  Throughout my life I've always seemed to be on the wrong side of democracy.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 4:38pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from moosey_club

i did say potentially and perceived....not FACT.  It was just a comment in response to the previous post.

I certainly value the presence of having the Trust inside the club although felt how the place was gained, the finance they were handing over for that seat and certain individual(s) who seemed to be very non supporter bias tarnish it for me.

I hope that the seat is retained and will hopefully actually gain influence when any takeover is complete as at the moment , to us on the outside , it just appears to be that fluffy cat that sits on Ernest Blofelds knee, miaowing every now and then when it feels uncomfortable but not really having any effect on its tyrannical owners schemes.

One easy way to improve that would be for as soon as the takeover is complete is for the trust to reveal " I'm Spartacus" in the whole May scandal.

Yes I know you did. I was addressing the perception. Sorry if it came across as suggesting it was factual.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 5:03pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from malkamalka

Even though the membership of the original fan's forum, GTISC, which was created at the same time as the forerunner of The Fishy (The Electronic Fishcake), was handed to The Trust on a plate by the then ownership of that platform?

Your arguments appear to be designed to lose membership rather than entice potential new ones.

At the risk of further enhancing your apparent opinion that I'm an idiot  I'm still struggling to see the relevance to my point that we don't just try to represent a tiny minority of Town fans.
As a side issue I wonder how many of those original pioneers still post on or even read the Fishy. In the near 13 years I've been a member I've lost count of the posters, many of whom I have/had the utmost respect for, who no longer post or even worse are no longer with us.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 166
Plankton
February 13, 2021, 5:17pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Approval: +1,215
As a sideline fan in exile for years and mostly going to away games, but still passionate about the club. I've always felt there has been a communication issue with the club as a brand which extends to the trust. I suspect I would be a key target to bring into the fold as it were and I've put my thoughts below:

There needs to be clear and concise messaging across all forms of social media platforms, outreach to the various affiliates - the podcasts as an example and this forum being the most captive audience, it'd be foolish to disregard it.

It's essentially marketing basics and I think the trust could perhaps make use of people with this expertise to assist in getting the message to be streamlined. I've received many emails that have recently been sent by the trust and there's no 'presence' to them, it's text with no branding, strange sentence structure, and directing people to communicate with questions to an @hullcity supporters trust email, bizarre.

The only reason I've looked in-depth at these things as that's my area of work and it jumps out as potential barriers to entry for the people you want to get involved with and I just unsubbed from the emails as they were dry and not engaging.

I'd just like to say that I appreciate that there has been a lot of work put in by those associated with the trust, but it feels disjointed and outdated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 5:25pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from forza ivano

Not being funny James, but maybe it would be a good idea if you could pm barralad, or email the Trust, and outline what could be done, and how it could be done
3 other side points
1)when the Trust was founded the several hundred members of It's A Grim Exile was also 'folded in'
2) i know from personal experience how difficult it is to keep getting a membership to renew their fees. It does take some time and tenacity and you are always going to lose a fair few along the way
3) i think there is a 'chicken and egg' aspect to the criticism of the Trust and Barra's /The Trust's defensiveness. i think i'd be pretty touchy if i was giving up my time and putting in that amount of unpaid effort and then seeing criticism from people who aren't members or who just carp from the sidelines and won't help. Equally the Trust would be silly to ignore some of the more sensible viewpoints and advice that have been aired on this thread.

I just hope that with the Holy Trinity coming in, which will mean the club will be upping it's game, that the Trust will also be able to up its game. I'm certain it can only do so if more people do a little bit to help

You make some valid points Forza. Mind you I dont think its necessarily James job to contact us. He's put the stuff out there and it would be somewhat remiss of me not to respond.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 5:37pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from jamesgtfc

You have a p.m. mate.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 5:44pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Plankton
As a sideline fan in exile for years and mostly going to away games, but still passionate about the club. I've always felt there has been a communication issue with the club as a brand which extends to the trust. I suspect I would be a key target to bring into the fold as it were and I've put my thoughts below:

There needs to be clear and concise messaging across all forms of social media platforms, outreach to the various affiliates - the podcasts as an example and this forum being the most captive audience, it'd be foolish to disregard it.

It's essentially marketing basics and I think the trust could perhaps make use of people with this expertise to assist in getting the message to be streamlined. I've received many emails that have recently been sent by the trust and there's no 'presence' to them, it's text with no branding, strange sentence structure, and directing people to communicate with questions to an @hullcity supporters trust email, bizarre.

The only reason I've looked in-depth at these things as that's my area of work and it jumps out as potential barriers to entry for the people you want to get involved with and I just unsubbed from the emails as they were dry and not engaging.

I'd just like to say that I appreciate that there has been a lot of work put in by those associated with the trust, but it feels disjointed and outdated.

The feedback is appreciated. I suspect it is difficult to make e-mails regarding an AGM interesting..
If I could just offer an explanation for part of it. The use of the email address for the chap at Hull City Trust is because he is the independent person responsible for the oversight of the Board election process. This is the first year where the composition of the Trust Board may be decided by a contested election. It was decided to distance ourselves from the process to prevent accusations of bias or interference. As such all queries need to go to Geoff.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 166
DB
February 13, 2021, 6:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Having read many of the posts about the trust I have to say it is always easy to knock any organisation from the outside. They don't do this or they should have done that is very simple to say and post.

The only way anything will change is from within, so joining the trust and making your feelings/ideas/propositions known may achieve what you complain about. Barralad has done a good job answering what has been put before him.

Hopefully times are changing for Town and for the better. Likewise the Trust will also have to change and modernise to continue in the future and put forward a fans point of few. Seats in the boardroom is where fans get their thoughts made to the new owners.

The Fishy is excellent for making our views known and read by Trust members but you have to join the trust to take your views further.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 166
Boris Johnson
February 13, 2021, 6:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Wasnt there supposed to have been a membership vote on the board positions? Or have i mis-understood?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 166
DB
February 13, 2021, 6:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker

The Fishy is excellent for making our views known
[/quote]

As part of a previous post I said the above and got 2 X's.

Can the people who gave them say why, as they don't agree, The Fishy is not an excellent site, and given they don't agree why they bother to log onto this site.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 166
lew chaterleys lover
February 13, 2021, 7:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,816
Gold Stars: 239
The Mariners Trust is not representative of the fans, that much is obvious. Just like the Fishy is not representative of the wider fan base.

As usual with these sort of membership clubs, it is a few people who dictate what happens, with their view of things. Egos come to the fore, and it invariably ends up with power struggles and as in this case getting too close to people who hold the ultimate power.

It always reminds me of political parties whose members have a view of the world which they think is correct, only for the wider public (the voters) to disagree. A few members of the Trust think they are being representative of the fans, but they are not.

The only people who actually matter are the fans who spend money attending games; people keep saying more fans should join the Trust, but why should they? They pay their hard-earned money and show true support through the turnstiles.

I am certain the new owners will have many ideas about genuine fan involvement, with a drive to get contact details of as many fans as possible, and I am sure they will be savvy enough to get fans views on anything remotely contentious without going through a committee who will have no idea what the majority of fans think. I am sure they will think of ways to get fans who can no longer attend matches involved.

The new owners will have a very long honeymoon period, and with everything likely to be going on to the delight of Town fans, I think they can take their time to find ways of consulting the wider fan base as needed, although I hope we don't have to be asked very often to be honest.
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 166
friskneymariner
February 13, 2021, 7:20pm

Brandy Drinker
The Mariners Trust is not representative of the fans, that much is obvious. Just like the Fishy is not representative of the wider fan base.

As usual with these sort of membership clubs, it is a few people who dictate what happens, with their view of things. Egos come to the fore, and it invariably ends up with power struggles and as in this case getting too close to people who hold the ultimate power.

It always reminds me of political parties whose members have a view of the world which they think is correct, only for the wider public (the voters) to disagree. A few members of the Trust think they are being representative of the fans, but they are not.

The only people who actually matter are the fans who spend money attending games; people keep saying more fans should join the Trust, but why should they? They pay their hard-earned money and show true support through the turnstiles.

I am certain the new owners will have many ideas about genuine fan involvement, with a drive to get contact details of as many fans as possible, and I am sure they will be savvy enough to get fans views on anything remotely contentious without going through a committee who will have no idea what the majority of fans think. I am sure they will think of ways to get fans who can no longer attend matches involved.

The new owners will have a very long honeymoon period, and with everything likely to be going on to the delight of Town fans, I think they can take their time to find ways of consulting the wider fan base as needed, although I hope we don't have to be asked very often to be honest.

The very reason why I will not belong to any hierarchical organisations

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 166
realist
February 13, 2021, 7:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
I think it would be better to postpone the agm until after the takeover is completed and we fully understand the plans of the new owners. This would give the members a better opportunity to be informed on how they would want the trust to run and who to run it.
You don’t have to have an agm at a fixed time, especially in the current climate. Believe me when I assay zoom is not the medium for this kind of meeting
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 8:05pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from realist
I think it would be better to postpone the agm until after the takeover is completed and we fully understand the plans of the new owners. This would give the members a better opportunity to be informed on how they would want the trust to run and who to run it.
You don’t have to have an agm at a fixed time, especially in the current climate. Believe me when I assay zoom is not the medium for this kind of meeting

Sorry but there is not a chance of that happening. The rules we are bound by DO say that you have to have an AGM at a fixed time. We are already three and a half months late and living on the fact that we have been granted an extension which is rapidly running out. The vast majority of Trusts have had their AGMs. There is no viable reason not to proceed with ours.
Many Trusts have held their AGMs using Zoom and have given us advice on how best to proceed.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 9:24pm
Mariners Trust

Well that has well and truly depressed me. Nobody is pretending that The Trust is perfect. It could be a lot better. It's pure guesswork at the moment but if I was someone who had just taken over a going concern I reckon I'd prefer to deal with an organisation representing the customers of that organisation than trying to ascertain what fans want from the top. That comes with the proviso of course that the representatives are fit for purpose. That may well be our challenge.
The Trust movement is successful across a variety of professional sport. If the ultimate aim is fan ownership who is to say that the Trust wouldnt be best placed to take that forward if we can get our house in order

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 166
Boris Johnson
February 13, 2021, 9:54pm
Table Wine Drinker

Interesting, in what way is the Trust not representative of the fans?  They supported regime change. albeit after the dodgy conman had come to the table, and did they not instigate the meetings with the Consortium that has led to the takeover. I think they certainly dont do themselves any favours in terms of how they present themselves.

What sort of genuine fan involvement do you want?...if your muting fans ownership of the club then good luck with that. As for long honeymoon, I think a long run in the NL will test them to their limits.  Football fans are fickle, I woudnt bet on it all being a rose garden, and one would assume that future failures will be blamed on the new board, as previous one's have been on the last one. That's the way it works isnt it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 166
lew chaterleys lover
February 13, 2021, 10:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Well that has well and truly depressed me. Nobody is pretending that The Trust is perfect. It could be a lot better. It's pure guesswork at the moment but if I was someone who had just taken over a going concern I reckon I'd prefer to deal with an organisation representing the customers of that organisation than trying to ascertain what fans want from the top. That comes with the proviso of course that the representatives are fit for purpose. That may well be our challenge.
The Trust movement is successful across a variety of professional sport. If the ultimate aim is fan ownership who is to say that the Trust wouldnt be best placed to take that forward if we can get our house in order

You are not representing the customers (fans) though, that is the point. You are representing a small section of the fan base (members of the Trust) which is a different thing altogether.

I fully appreciate the time effort and frustration you must feel, but we have thousands of fans worldwide and the Trust has only a fraction of them, and let's be honest that is all it will have. Fans Trusts tend to come to the fore when fans are wanting change or the club is having a real hard time, but sadly despite all these years of our clubs decline, the Trust seemed to side more with the owner than the fans.

I am sure the new owners will engage with the fans; whether that is via the Trust or whether they will speak more directly to the fans we will have to wait and see. I am sure they will ask your opinions and I for one hope they make such a good job of it any need for the Trust will diminish.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 166
lew chaterleys lover
February 13, 2021, 10:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Boris Johnson

Interesting, in what way is the Trust not representative of the fans?  They supported regime change. albeit after the dodgy conman had come to the table, and did they not instigate the meetings with the Consortium that has led to the takeover. I think they certainly dont do themselves any favours in terms of how they present themselves.

What sort of genuine fan involvement do you want?...if your muting fans ownership of the club then good luck with that. As for long honeymoon, I think a long run in the NL will test them to their limits.  Football fans are fickle, I woudnt bet on it all being a rose garden, and one would assume that future failures will be blamed on the new board, as previous one's have been on the last one. That's the way it works isnt it?

I did explain it, but to say again they are not representative of the fans because only a fraction of fans are members of the Trust. Would you, as a fan, have given the shares to Fenty? How many Town fans would have? The Trust did because their members voted for it which to me was ridiculous.  
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 166
Boris Johnson
February 13, 2021, 10:20pm
Table Wine Drinker

I did explain it, but to say again they are not representative of the fans because only a fraction of fans are members of the Trust. Would you, as a fan, have given the shares to Fenty? How many Town fans would have? The Trust did because their members voted for it which to me was ridiculous.  

cant remember being asked, but if your not on the electoral roll, so to speak, you cant really effect things
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 10:23pm
Mariners Trust

Having once been thrown out of the Reebok Stadium by a certain Stasi ‘Spotter’ in the Trust for having the temerity to roar like a lion whenever Per Frandsen took a corner, I have trust issues with some members of the Trust.

However, I do thank you for the time you put in and echo the previous posts that I hope you do not take any posts above personally. I can tell you are a true Town fan and the mostly constructive comments raised in this thread are made with the aim to improve matters off the field.

UTM

I'm confused. We don't have any spotters Stasi or otherwise.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 10:26pm
Mariners Trust

The shares weren't given to the fanbase. They were given to The Trust. It's strange that I'm complementing Boris Johnson on his understanding of democracy but there you have it. Spot on!

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 166
February 13, 2021, 10:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Self-proclaimed Spotter, Mr Rutter
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 166
lew chaterleys lover
February 13, 2021, 10:33pm
Vodka Drinker

cant remember being asked, but if your not on the electoral roll, so to speak, you cant really effect things

I think someone once said, "I would never join a club that would have me as a member."

That is how I feel about the Trust. Why should decisions be made that affect the wider fan base, by a few members of a club, that you have to join and pay ( a small amount admittedly) for the privelege? Fans have paid a fortune following the Mariners far and wide but they have decisions made for them by members of a separate club. Does not make sense to me.

I would have checked members addresses weren't Scunthorpe postcodes with that decision to give Fenty the shares.
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 166
lew chaterleys lover
February 13, 2021, 10:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from barralad

The shares weren't given to the fanbase. They were given to The Trust. It's strange that I'm complementing Boris Johnson on his understanding of democracy but there you have it. Spot on!

You have hit the nail on the head! He gave the shares to the Trust because he knew he could "influence" the Trust. Had the wider fan base known what was going on he would have received fierce opposition.

Democracy in your world may involve a few members deciding what to do on important issues that affect the club, but that is as believable as Fenty saying the boardroom was democracy in action!
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 166
RonMariner
February 13, 2021, 10:49pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.43
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,913
Gold Stars: 233
I think the Trust should formally request the return of the £200k worth of shares they gifted to Fenty.

It would be deplorable for him to pocket that money and he may well donate it back. But let's not allow it happen quietly by default.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 166
Boris Johnson
February 13, 2021, 11:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner
I think the Trust should formally request the return of the £200k worth of shares they gifted to Fenty.

It would be deplorable for him to pocket that money and he may well donate it back. But let's not allow it happen quietly by default.  

I’m no expert, but when this takeover goes through will he have any shares? Do they default to the Consortium?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 166
dapperz fun pub
February 13, 2021, 11:29pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

I agree the trust should definitely ask for them back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 166
barralad
February 13, 2021, 11:35pm
Mariners Trust

You have hit the nail on the head! He gave the shares to the Trust because he knew he could "influence" the Trust. Had the wider fan base known what was going on he would have received fierce opposition.

Democracy in your world may involve a few members deciding what to do on important issues that affect the club, but that is as believable as Fenty saying the boardroom was democracy in action!

My world?? It's the world of democracy as gifted to us by the Ancient Greeks.
The balloting period was at least four weeks. Plenty of time for the stiff opposition to have motivated themselves to join and vote. Obviously it wasnt that stiff-presumably put off by the extortionate cost of joining the Trust.
I'm fairly used to your style now after our disagreements elsewhere and can see that you have made an enormous assumption that a vote by the whole fan base (forgetting momentarily that we've already reached an understanding that the shares were gifted to the Trust) would have given a different outcome. JFs line of attack that he would be prepared to sell Hearn spooked 87% of the Trust members. Who is to say somewhere near the same percentage of the fan base at large wouldnt have done the same.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 166
DB
February 13, 2021, 11:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Courting with the idea of becoming a trust member I have a simple question regarding the shares  gifted to JF. Is it not possible for the trust to ask for them back.

I seem to have read that the shares were gifted to him to use under custodianship or words to that affect. Apart from that as JF is giving up his ownership and therefore will have no need for them surely the right and correct thing to do is for him to return them to the trust. In doing so he is not out of pocket as he has not paid for them.

I cannot see why the Trust cannot make such a request as they would be in a win win situation. They may, unlikely as it is, have the shares returned to them and if not returned they would be able to show they tried. They would also be able to show that JF is the sort of person the contributors on The Fishy say he is.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 166
lew chaterleys lover
February 14, 2021, 10:19am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from barralad

The balloting period was at least four weeks. Plenty of time for the stiff opposition to have motivated themselves to join and vote. Obviously it wasnt that stiff-presumably put off by the extortionate cost of joining the Trust.
I'm fairly used to your style now after our disagreements elsewhere and can see that you have made an enormous assumption that a vote by the whole fan base (forgetting momentarily that we've already reached an understanding that the shares were gifted to the Trust) would have given a different outcome. JFs line of attack that he would be prepared to sell Hearn spooked 87% of the Trust members. Who is to say somewhere near the same percentage of the fan base at large wouldnt have done the same.

I am not sure the ancient Greeks had in mind a well-meaning but poorly run fans Trust who have a tiny percentage of Town fans as members. It may suit you to say "its democratic" in the sense that a few people voted through a measure that was illogical.

The vast majority of Town fans do not want to be associated with the Trust. If the owners line of attack was to sell our star striker then didn't you, the Trust, have a duty to make that news available to the many thousands of Town fans who did not see that side of Mr Fenty, or were you determined to stick by the organisation and its rules and to hell with the vast majority of Town fans everywhere?

A Fans Trust, with a cosy seat on the board, giving the owner shares that a few members voted for - don't make me laugh. You must have seen the horlicks the owner was making of the club - you should have shouted out loud and clear years ago that we would never improve under his ownership and started a campaign to out him.
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 166
RonMariner
February 14, 2021, 10:31am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.43
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,913
Gold Stars: 233
[quote=140598]

I’m no expert, but when this takeover goes through will he have any shares? Do they default to the Consortium?[/quot

The point is does he pocket the proceeds himself or not?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 166
ginnywings
February 14, 2021, 10:55am

Recovering Alcoholic

I am not sure the ancient Greeks had in mind a well-meaning but poorly run fans Trust who have a tiny percentage of Town fans as members. It may suit you to say "its democratic" in the sense that a few people voted through a measure that was illogical.

The vast majority of Town fans do not want to be associated with the Trust. If the owners line of attack was to sell our star striker then didn't you, the Trust, have a duty to make that news available to the many thousands of Town fans who did not see that side of Mr Fenty, or were you determined to stick by the organisation and its rules and to hell with the vast majority of Town fans everywhere?

A Fans Trust, with a cosy seat on the board, giving the owner shares that a few members voted for - don't make me laugh. You must have seen the horlicks the owner was making of the club - you should have shouted out loud and clear years ago that we would never improve under his ownership and started a campaign to out him.

It was common knowledge among Town fans and the reason most voted to hand over the shares. For someone who defends the government and Brexit, citing the will of the people, your stance toward this democratic process is very strange.

Or is your stance different when you don't agree with the outcome?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 166
friskneymariner
February 14, 2021, 11:02am

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Need to brush up on the concept of the Tyranny of the Majority

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 166
ska face
February 14, 2021, 11:05am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,904
Gold Stars: 854

Make your mind up - do “the vast majority of town fans” want no association with the Trust, or do they want them to be news broadcaster for the fans?

I know this is well trodden ground, but for those only trusted to write in crayon, the Trust is a membership organisation accountable only to its members, and only mandated to act according to the wishes of their members.

You make out like these shares were gifted to you personally - they belonged to the Trust and the Trust members decided to give them away. Imagine if they’d decided to keep hold of 200,000 effectively meaningless shares & Fenty sold Hearn, there’d be hell on.
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 166
lew chaterleys lover
February 14, 2021, 11:27am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

It was common knowledge among Town fans and the reason most voted to hand over the shares. For someone who defends the government and Brexit, citing the will of the people, your stance toward this democratic process is very strange.

Or is your stance different when you don't agree with the outcome?

Was there a vote amongst the fans?
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 166
ginnywings
February 14, 2021, 11:33am

Recovering Alcoholic

Was there a vote amongst the fans?

It was a Trust matter and Trust members voted for the hand over.

Why should it involve the wider fan base, especially fans like yourself who think the Trust is a waste of time?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 166
lew chaterleys lover
February 14, 2021, 11:44am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

It was a Trust matter and Trust members voted for the hand over.

Why should it involve the wider fan base, especially fans like yourself who think the Trust is a waste of time?

No is the answer then. You should have made it clear it was a few members of the Trust that made the decision.

I don't want to fall out about it; yes I feel the Trust is a waste of time and always have done when faced with the overwhelming influence of Fenty and his cronies, made worse by them seemingly cosying up to him in the boardroom in an obvious box-ticking exercise by the owner.

As ever this is my personal view and I hope the new owners will engage with the wider fan base and not just a few that are Trust members.
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 166
ginnywings
February 14, 2021, 12:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic

No is the answer then. You should have made it clear it was a few members of the Trust that made the decision.

I don't want to fall out about it; yes I feel the Trust is a waste of time and always have done when faced with the overwhelming influence of Fenty and his cronies, made worse by them seemingly cosying up to him in the boardroom in an obvious box-ticking exercise by the owner.

As ever this is my personal view and I hope the new owners will engage with the wider fan base and not just a few that are Trust members.

I should make it clear?

You seem to be arguing against something you know nothing about. The shares were gifted to the Trust by Mike Parker, presumably to p1ss off JF, but he immediately put the screws on them with threats of selling "players". The only saleable asset was Hearn, so the inference was plain to see,

A vote was put to the Trust members to decide whether to hand them over and the outcome was overwhelming. It wasn't just a "few members of the Trust"

I find it odd that you don't know all this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 166
Yoda
February 14, 2021, 12:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,190
Gold Stars: 73
What the trust did was a disgrace giving all those shares away.
You should of called his bluff he’s all hot air was he going to put us into administration and loose all his money.no.!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 166
ginnywings
February 14, 2021, 12:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I have no idea why people are disagreeing with my post, merely for stating what happened and I also have no idea why people still keep banging on about the Trust "giving away the shares".

It went to a democratic vote for members of the Trust to decide what happened with them and the vote was unanimous to hand them over. It doesn't matter whether you agree or disagree ( I disagreed) with the decision, it was arrived at in a full and fair vote among the members.

It's done, it's over, move on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 166
lew chaterleys lover
February 14, 2021, 12:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I should make it clear?

You seem to be arguing against something you know nothing about. The shares were gifted to the Trust by Mike Parker, presumably to p1ss off JF, but he immediately put the screws on them with threats of selling "players". The only saleable asset was Hearn, so the inference was plain to see,

A vote was put to the Trust members to decide whether to hand them over and the outcome was overwhelming. It wasn't just a "few members of the Trust"

I find it odd that you don't know all this.

I thought you said it was common knowledge amongst the fans about Hearn, and that is why most voted the way they did. I realise now you meant it was common knowledge amongst the fans, and that is why most TRUST members voted the way they did, so apologies if I misinterpreted what you meant.

A "few members of the Trust"  is a reference to the fraction of Town fans who belong to the Trust out of the thousands of Town fans who pay a fortune watching their team but have no intention of joining a Trust. I hope the new owners, if they ever need to get a decision involving the fans, will take a wider poll than the comparatively few Trust members.  

Edit. Just seen your last post and I agree it is all water under the bridge in relation to the shares.
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 166
grimsby pete
February 14, 2021, 12:25pm

Exile
As a lifetime member of the Trust I did not want the shares to go to Fent y but understood why the Trust voted to give them to him.It was a vote and the result was give them.

They could ask Fenty for the money back but doubt the right fisted git would give them.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 166
forza ivano
February 14, 2021, 12:32pm

Exile
just as a matter of interest how many members do the Trust have?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 166
Croxton
February 14, 2021, 12:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 35
Getting back to the matter of the AGM, I would encourage all existing members to check your logins to the Trust site well before Thurs 4th March. I got in a muddle with my email address and password yesterday and had to request help.

As ever, Dave Roberts replied early this morning having registered my preferred email with the new 'membermojo' portal thingy. I can now read all relevant docs and print off the proxy voting form. You can print your membership card too.

Some posters wonder why the meeting can't wait till the handover but the Trust has to be in good order before fully engaging with the new owners. Even more urgent is the need to expand the membership in readiness for a more participative role in bringing this great club and fanbase together.

Thanks to Bigdog for raising the profile and Grimrob for the new MT Board.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 166
malkamalka
February 14, 2021, 12:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

At the risk of further enhancing your apparent opinion that I'm an idiot  I'm still struggling to see the relevance to my point that we don't just try to represent a tiny minority of Town fans.
As a side issue I wonder how many of those original pioneers still post on or even read the Fishy. In the near 13 years I've been a member I've lost count of the posters, many of whom I have/had the utmost respect for, who no longer post or even worse are no longer with us.

No, my point is that the Fishy is historically a VERY LARGE PART of the Trust.

Yet the opinion of the subscribers on here appear not to be considered as part of the greater family of Town fans.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 166
malkamalka
February 14, 2021, 12:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

... and how many subscribers does The Fishy have Rob?

Well worth a comparison perhaps?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 166
DB
February 14, 2021, 12:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
As a lifetime member of the Trust I did not want the shares to go to Fent y but understood why the Trust voted to give them to him.It was a vote and the result was give them.

They could ask Fenty for the money back but doubt the right fisted git would give them.

I'm still waiting for an answer post 102 :-

'Courting with the idea of becoming a trust member I have a simple question regarding the shares  gifted to JF. Is it not possible for the trust to ask for them back.

I seem to have read that the shares were gifted to him to use under custodianship or words to that affect. Apart from that as JF is giving up his ownership and therefore will have no need for them surely the right and correct thing to do is for him to return them to the trust. In doing so he is not out of pocket as he has not paid for them.

I cannot see why the Trust cannot make such a request as they would be in a win win situation. They may, unlikely as it is, have the shares returned to them and if not returned they would be able to show they tried. They would also be able to show that JF is the sort of person the contributors on The Fishy say he is.'

Also if your are a lifetime member why has your name colour not been changed to green and can you open a thread on the Mariners Trust Board so issues may be posted their,

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 166
crusty ole pie
February 14, 2021, 1:14pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,407
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from DB

I'm still waiting for an answer post 102 :-

'Courting with the idea of becoming a trust member I have a simple question regarding the shares  gifted to JF. Is it not possible for the trust to ask for them back.

I cannot see why the Trust cannot make such a request as they would be in a win win situation. They may, unlikely as it is, have the shares returned to them and if not returned they would be able to show they tried. They would also be able to show that JF is the sort of person the contributors on The Fishy say he is.'

Also if your are a lifetime member why has your name colour not been changed to green and can you open a thread on the Mariners Trust Board so issues may be posted their,

The consortium have agreed a price for fentys shares  if he starts to gift some away than the deal would need to be resorted the only thing we can hope is that Jf does the correct thing and donates the value back to the trust in hard cash
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 166
DB
February 14, 2021, 1:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from crusty ole pie

The consortium have agreed a price for fentys shares  if he starts to gift some away than the deal would need to be resorted the only thing we can hope is that Jf does the correct thing and donates the value back to the trust in hard cash

That seems good to me, but I would still like the trust to formally ask for it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 166
KingstonMariner
February 15, 2021, 1:03am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from barralad

I think he’s referring to PC Rutter

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 166
KingstonMariner
February 15, 2021, 1:10am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Being on the losing side of that referendum (hey, it was good practice) I have to say you were absolutely right. The fans of GTFC let themselves down by (a) not joining en masse; (b) those that did, not voting against.

I still think the Trust leadership were partly at fault for not giving a ‘vote against’ advice. Big strategic error because it’s now getting some of the blame for Fenty. A bit like Starmer will take some of the blame in the future for abandoning his principles and not opposing Brexit to the bitter end.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 166
KingstonMariner
February 15, 2021, 1:16am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

3 other side points

On the membership question though, I remember you and Bob always banging the drum for IAGE at away games, literally approaching every little cluster and individual in the Town end and in pubs. Membership drives aren’t all about technology, but are often about talking to people face-to-face. Being there to put the argument and answer questions. Old fashioned, but effective.

And I bet nowadays, in these times of virtual comms, even more effective because it would be such a pleasant surprise for people brought up on social media.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 166
KingstonMariner
February 15, 2021, 1:19am
Meths Drinker

The very reason why I will not belong to any hierarchical organisations

Hate to point it out mate, but we live in a hierarchical society. It’s a case of hang together or hang separately. If you think a supporters trust is the wrong kind of organisation let me introduce you to the people that run the country.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 166
KingstonMariner
February 15, 2021, 1:21am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Yoda
What the trust did was a disgrace giving all those shares away.
You should of called his bluff he’s all hot air was he going to put us into administration and loose all his money.no.!!!

We’re you a member at the time and did you vote against?

I was and did. The decision was a gross mistake. But disgrace? No way.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 166
KingstonMariner
February 15, 2021, 1:31am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from barralad

It was recognised a while ago that you were right in regard to membership. Part of the problem was our lack of ability to follow up on those whose membership had lapsed because our (very) aged membership system didnt have that facility.
The new membership system is in effect controlled by the individual member who can log in and update personal details etc. It will send out automatic reminders to renew.
Since Christmas we have been able to explore this to great effect. A surprising number of people we contacted stated that they had just forgotten to renew. Since the turn of the year we have added a significant number. Some of these will be of course because of an interest in the potential take over but nevertheless it represents a promising start.

Thanks for replying Barra.

I’m not really thinking about systems and processes. Of course that all needs to be right for effectiveness, efficiency and legitimacy. What I mean is going out there and persuading large numbers of people to join. Not just putting notes in season ticket reminders. Good old fashioned concerted badgering. Having an overarching cause helps. A vision.

I know it’s not easy approaching strangers. I’m a confirmed introvert. But I think it really helps. Obviously in the current situation it’s impossible. But in 6 months or so it will be possible to press the flesh again.

Regardless of what happens with the takeover (in fact it’s irrelevant to this) we should make this the aim.

[sorry for being such a ranting gobshitebut I think this is absolutely the right thing to do).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 166
DB
February 15, 2021, 4:37am
Barley Wine Drinker

On the membership question though, I remember you and Bob always banging the drum for IAGE at away games, literally approaching every little cluster and individual in the Town end and in pubs. Membership drives aren’t all about technology, but are often about talking to people face-to-face. Being there to put the argument and answer questions. Old fashioned, but effective.

And I bet nowadays, in these times of virtual comms, even more effective because it would be such a pleasant surprise for people brought up on social media.

Talking face to face, the good old fashioned way, having the guts to look someone in the eye, no hiding behind names on social media or on this site. Of course it's no good for gutless worms and morons because they have nowhere to hide.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 166
pizzzza
February 15, 2021, 8:17am

Pontoonite
Quoted from forza ivano

Around 720 (based on the OP saying that a third of the membership is around 240)
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 166
pizzzza
February 15, 2021, 8:27am

Pontoonite

We’re you a member at the time and did you vote against?

I was and did.

I find it amazing that everyone says they were one of the 13% who voted against. Sorry for picking on you as an example KM, I'm not saying you didn't but others have said the same elsewhere in the thread, nobody admits to voting for giving the shares to JF. When supposedly 87% voted for, it doesn't add up to me.
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 166
aldi_01
February 15, 2021, 9:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from pizzzza

I find it amazing that everyone says they were one of the 13% who voted against. Sorry for picking on you as an example KM, I'm not saying you didn't but others have said the same elsewhere in the thread, nobody admits to voting for giving the shares to JF. When supposedly 87% voted for, it doesn't add up to me.

Spike island syndrome/pistols at the gardens.

I’d be inclined to believe the folk on here who have said they didn’t vote to give him the shares, their views have remained pretty consistent throughout.

I have met people who voted to hand them over, sadly, these folk were the ones who swallowed the whole ‘kept the club afloat’ Fenty the saviour nonsense and thus voted accordingly.

I remember one saying “I voted to hand them over because the trust don’t know how to run a football club but he does” - I haven’t seen this person to speak to since we’ve been banished from BP. I’m intrigued to see if they maintain that opinion...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 166
Kristine
February 15, 2021, 10:12am
Mariners Trust
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,192
240 is 1/3 of the membership eligible to vote.  So on top of that you have the U16's, which brings the total to about 775.

Quoted from pizzzza

Around 720 (based on the OP saying that a third of the membership is around 240)

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 166
friskneymariner
February 15, 2021, 10:25am

Brandy Drinker

Hate to point it out mate, but we live in a hierarchical society. It’s a case of hang together or hang separately. If you think a supporters trust is the wrong kind of organisation let me introduce you to the people that run the country.

Who says I take part in society.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 166
grimsby pete
February 15, 2021, 11:30am

Exile
Quoted from pizzzza

I did not vote because I was not convinced either way.

As far as I remember scrooge  said to the Trust he would put 200,000k into the budget of they donated 250,000 k of shares to him.

I could be wrong as my memory is starting to play tricks with me.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 166
barralad
February 15, 2021, 12:01pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from grimsby pete

I did not vote because I was not convinced either way.

As far as I remember scrooge  said to the Trust he would put 200,000k into the budget of they donated 250,000 k of shares to him.

I could be wrong as my memory is starting to play tricks with me.

No Pete you are right. The agreement was that JF would buy £200K worth of "new" money shares.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 166
lew chaterleys lover
February 15, 2021, 12:16pm
Vodka Drinker
You would have to very naive indeed to imagine someone whose greatest achievement was to provide a sink for the ladies would in any way be a good chap to work with.

Even a cursory chat to the business community would give you, shall we say a less than glowing report so quite how the hierarchy of the Trust did not disassociate themselves from the boardroom years ago is anybody's guess.

I thought, also naively as it turns out, that a fans Trust would be for the fans; to tell their membership straight what the situation was like in the boardroom and start and support a campaign for change.

It got worse as the years went by; why didn't the trust act after the infamous fans forum, for example. One example of many.

It is good that Fenty has brought about his own downfall, as I doubt anyone close to the club was going to do it. Somebody may have tipped the press off about Mr May, but it was about 10 years too late.

Things happen for a reason I guess, and although it would have been better not to go through all these miserable years we should be in a much better place soon, especially if we stay up.
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 166
TAGG
February 15, 2021, 8:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 126
These are serious questions I'm not getting at anyone.
1 Why does the Trust even exist
2 What does it do.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 166
moosey_club
February 15, 2021, 9:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Spike island syndrome/pistols at the gardens.

I’d be inclined to believe the folk on here who have said they didn’t vote to give him the shares, their views have remained pretty consistent throughout.

I have met people who voted to hand them over, sadly, these folk were the ones who swallowed the whole ‘kept the club afloat’ Fenty the saviour nonsense and thus voted accordingly.

I remember one saying “I voted to hand them over because the trust don’t know how to run a football club but he does” - I haven’t seen this person to speak to since we’ve been banished from BP. I’m intrigued to see if they maintain that opinion...

That was the first thing that came to my mind...." Sex Pistols at the Lesser Free Trade Hall in Manchester" ..and just about every Manc musician over the last 40 yrs being there  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 166
moosey_club
February 15, 2021, 9:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TAGG
These are serious questions I'm not getting at anyone.
1 Why does the Trust even exist
2 What does it do.

In some ways those questions arent really that relevant anymore......with this takeover....when it happens....the questions really need to be ;

Will the trust retain its seat on the board ? ( i think its been assured that is the case )
Will the trust be a valued part of the board by the new owners ?   ( As the trust have been in discussions to bring the consortium in then you would hope so )

If the above are firm yes's then if anyone has strong feelings regards which way the trust are going its upto them to join up, become a member and try to influence from within.  Any one can shout from the sidelines "viewpoint a"  viewpoint b" but if you are that p1ssed off with the trust then join and effect change.
I would like to think that if the new board are extremely welcoming of trust input that would help swell numbers  but i honestly think if the new board start on the right foot and welcome the trust with open arms that fans will just be placated and interest in the trust will wain.

Yoda's post above "you shouldnt have given the shares away" is a classic line that gets slung at the trust at every turn.....but if you werent in it then you really cant complain about the decision.
Plenty of people think it wasnt the right decision but many of them werent members and some that were members didnt want to give them up but there was seemingly very little option otherwise with the game expertly played by JF. If he had Mike Parkers pants down then not surprising he could manipulate some supporters with good intentions who suddenly found themselves key players in the whole power struggle.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and i wonder if we had the opportunity again would Mike Parker have done something else with the shares rather than giving them to the trust ?
Would the trust members have tried to call JF's bluff ?

Guess we'll never know.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 166
February 15, 2021, 10:15pm
Guest User
Quoted from barralad
No Pete you are right. The agreement was that JF would buy £200K worth of "new" money shares.

But my (very fallible) memory is that he didn't do this.

In which case why aren't the Trust demanding their shares back if he broke the terms of the agreement?

The Trust should obtain a legal opinion to establish whether they have a case to reclaim the shares, surely?
Reply: 141 - 166
KingstonMariner
February 15, 2021, 11:22pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from DB

Talking face to face, the good old fashioned way, having the guts to look someone in the eye, no hiding behind names on social media or on this site. Of course it's no good for gutless worms and morons because they have nowhere to hide.

That’s not what I meant

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 166
lew chaterleys lover
February 16, 2021, 10:24am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

In some ways those questions arent really that relevant anymore......with this takeover....when it happens....the questions really need to be ;

Will the trust retain its seat on the board ? ( i think its been assured that is the case )
Will the trust be a valued part of the board by the new owners ?   ( As the trust have been in discussions to bring the consortium in then you would hope so )

If the above are firm yes's then if anyone has strong feelings regards which way the trust are going its upto them to join up, become a member and try to influence from within.  Any one can shout from the sidelines "viewpoint a"  viewpoint b" but if you are that p1ssed off with the trust then join and effect change.
I would like to think that if the new board are extremely welcoming of trust input that would help swell numbers  but i honestly think if the new board start on the right foot and welcome the trust with open arms that fans will just be placated and interest in the trust will wain.

Yoda's post above "you shouldnt have given the shares away" is a classic line that gets slung at the trust at every turn.....but if you werent in it then you really cant complain about the decision.
Plenty of people think it wasnt the right decision but many of them werent members and some that were members didnt want to give them up but there was seemingly very little option otherwise with the game expertly played by JF. If he had Mike Parkers pants down then not surprising he could manipulate some supporters with good intentions who suddenly found themselves key players in the whole power struggle.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and i wonder if we had the opportunity again would Mike Parker have done something else with the shares rather than giving them to the trust ?
Would the trust members have tried to call JF's bluff ?

Guess we'll never know.

You make a good point about when a club is a much better run entity, fans pressure groups tend to decline. I assume that is why the Mariners Trust was formed - to try to help our club when it was being so poorly run by a particular individual.

Instead of that though, they consolidated his position by not speaking out against mismanagement, and even seemed to have place men in the audience at a fans (the people they are supposed to represent) forum.

On the issue of the share transfer, they should have advised the members to reject the idea and call his bluff.

I don't think this is particularly in hindsight - the owner has been running the club appallingly for years in full view of the Trust representatives.

I know the idea of a fans group is a noble one, but the very idea that Mr Fenty would even listen to such a group without the financial clout to back it up is and always was fanciful. Mr Fenty deals in one thing only - the currency of money - if it makes him happy fair enough but I would have thought the Trust representatives would have spotted that at an early stage and acted accordingly.

Private Message
Reply: 143 - 166
ska face
February 16, 2021, 10:51am

Vodka Drinker

You make a good point about when a club is a much better run entity, fans pressure groups tend to decline. I assume that is why the Mariners Trust was formed - to try to help our club when it was being so poorly run by a particular individual.

Not entirely true though is it? It seems to be the clubs at the top end of the pyramid that have more active and well established Supporters’ groups. Spirit of Shankly at Liverpool, MUST at Man Utd, NUST at Newcastle, EFC Supporters Trust at Everton just off the top of my head are all high profile, well supported groups active at their clubs and in the community.

As for calling Fenty’s bluff, the bloke has consistently demonstrated he’s willing to let our best players go - Amond, Vernam, etc. - over the sake of a few quid. Do you think he would’ve thought twice about selling Hearn if he thought his grip on the club (and all the money he has now pocketed) was about to slip away?

Easy to speak with 9 years’ of hindsight, when you had no involvement at the time and as you keep telling us, want no involvement with the Trust now. Maybe you should’ve made this case back in 2012, you might’ve swayed the 80-odd percent of members who made that choice.
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 166
DB
February 16, 2021, 12:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
The past is history that cannot be changed but learnt from. Hindsight is brilliant but cannot be used but learnt from.
It is to the future you have to look learning from the past and hindsight. This should make things better for all.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 166
psgmariner
February 16, 2021, 1:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.68
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33

Private Message
Reply: 146 - 166
February 16, 2021, 1:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from DB
The past is history that cannot be changed but learnt from. Hindsight is brilliant but cannot be used but learnt from.
It is to the future you have to look learning from the past and hindsight. This should make things better for all.

Who controls the past controls the future

Kevin Drinkell (1984)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 166
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 16, 2021, 2:40pm
Champagne Drinker

Who controls the past controls the future

Kevin Drinkell (1984)

A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step.

Zhang Enhua

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 166
Boris Johnson
February 16, 2021, 3:35pm
Table Wine Drinker

A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step.

Zhang Enhua

How many roads must a man walk down
Bob Dylan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 166
forza ivano
February 16, 2021, 3:38pm

Exile
'If there's a way to screw something up, GTFC will find that way'

5000 + Town fans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 166
friskneymariner
February 16, 2021, 3:41pm

Brandy Drinker
'Ave some Shearer'  ....... Justin Whittle.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 166
DB
February 16, 2021, 4:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker

How many roads must a man walk down
Bob Dylan

1 - Imperial Avenue

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 166
lew chaterleys lover
February 16, 2021, 6:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Not entirely true though is it? It seems to be the clubs at the top end of the pyramid that have more active and well established Supporters’ groups. Spirit of Shankly at Liverpool, MUST at Man Utd, NUST at Newcastle, EFC Supporters Trust at Everton just off the top of my head are all high profile, well supported groups active at their clubs and in the community.

As for calling Fenty’s bluff, the bloke has consistently demonstrated he’s willing to let our best players go - Amond, Vernam, etc. - over the sake of a few quid. Do you think he would’ve thought twice about selling Hearn if he thought his grip on the club (and all the money he has now pocketed) was about to slip away?

Easy to speak with 9 years’ of hindsight, when you had no involvement at the time and as you keep telling us, want no involvement with the Trust now. Maybe you should’ve made this case back in 2012, you might’ve swayed the 80-odd percent of members who made that choice.

You don't need hindsight in this case. Failing to speak out years ago has allowed Trust members and fans in general to keep believing the fantasy that having Fenty in charge was in our best interests.

Business people were telling me more than a decade ago what was going on, and that he would bring the club to its knees; I have articulated this over many years on this site for as long as I can remember.

The Trust hierarchy would have had a birds-eye view so to speak of what he was like, and in my opinion should have spoken out. I doubt whether it would have done any good, but it may have at least put some pressure on him and his cronies to change tack.

It doesn't matter now does it? I thought they should have spoken out to start the debate about the way he was running the show, you obviously think differently.
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 166
ginnywings
February 16, 2021, 6:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic

You don't need hindsight in this case. Failing to speak out years ago has allowed Trust members and fans in general to keep believing the fantasy that having Fenty in charge was in our best interests.

Business people were telling me more than a decade ago what was going on, and that he would bring the club to its knees; I have articulated this over many years on this site for as long as I can remember.

The Trust hierarchy would have had a birds-eye view so to speak of what he was like, and in my opinion should have spoken out. I doubt whether it would have done any good, but it may have at least put some pressure on him and his cronies to change tack.

It doesn't matter now does it? I thought they should have spoken out to start the debate about the way he was running the show, you obviously think differently.

You have to ask what they were supposed to do? They have representation and a vote on the board, which is something not a of of Trusts elsewhere have. I'm sure they voted with the interests of the fans at heart, for instance the Checkatrade Trophy.

Did you expect them to engineer a military style coup and march the board into the car park to face a firing squad?

You could argue that without them, things could have been worse, but I guess you don't want to give them any credit whatsoever.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 166
lew chaterleys lover
February 16, 2021, 7:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

You have to ask what they were supposed to do? They have representation and a vote on the board, which is something not a of of Trusts elsewhere have. I'm sure they voted with the interests of the fans at heart, for instance the Checkatrade Trophy.

Did you expect them to engineer a military style coup and march the board into the car park to face a firing squad?

You could argue that without them, things could have been worse, but I guess you don't want to give them any credit whatsoever.

The Trust was in prime position to see first hand what the problems were. I am simply saying that it would have been better to have told the fans to start a debate. Where that debate would have led us to is pure conjecture, but I think it's fair to say that the wider fan base may have thought if the Trust hasn't said anything then perhaps things are ok.

Failure to speak out, and for example having members in the audience at the Fans forum backing Fenty up, just gave further credence to the idea that Fenty was good for Grimsby Town, when the opposite was true.

You could indeed argue things could have been worse; I don't believe that myself but anything can be argued.

I have just checked the forum rules, and it doesn't say anything in there about having to go with the majority opinion, or having to think that the Trust is the best thing since sliced bread. I said earlier it was a noble thing for them to try to improve things at the club, but also it was a waste of time as Fenty only sees things in monetary terms. They took a different view which is fair enough, but I am just commenting on it.
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 166
Civvy at last
February 16, 2021, 7:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,242
Gold Stars: 136
Don’t believe every quote you read on the internet

Abraham Lincoln

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 166
ska face
February 16, 2021, 8:20pm

Vodka Drinker

Oh what could have been if everyone had listened to you, eh Cassandra!?

You’ve contradicted yourself again - one minute it’s common sense which way vote should’ve gone and everyone knew Fenty’s plans, the next the Trust should’ve been implementing a 3-line whip and issuing voting instructions beforehand.

You can look back on here, on Cod Almighty & elsewhere to see the issue was discussed at the time, even by mere mortals not as clued up as yourself.
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 166
lew chaterleys lover
February 16, 2021, 8:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Oh what could have been if everyone had listened to you, eh Cassandra!?

You’ve contradicted yourself again - one minute it’s common sense which way vote should’ve gone and everyone knew Fenty’s plans, the next the Trust should’ve been implementing a 3-line whip and issuing voting instructions beforehand.

You can look back on here, on Cod Almighty & elsewhere to see the issue was discussed at the time, even by mere mortals not as clued up as yourself.

Just to humour us, what is your view?

All opinions welcome.
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 166
ska face
February 16, 2021, 8:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Same as it was 9 years back in this thread -

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1329864201/s-0/

Quoted from ska face

And how will a 'yes' vote help the club "move forward", may I ask? Is it not just another case of putting off the inevitable? There will come a time when Fenty packs his bags and drives gets a taxi off into distance, it may be next month or it may be (god forbid) in ten years' time. What then?

Voting 'yes' would leave the club back relying on one man. The man who has overseen some of the worst financial management of the club in its history. That is a fact. Would you like to rely on this one man, with his dwindling fortune and past financial record, to somehow miraculously turn everything around? Things cannot continue this way. The club cannot continue to be run like it has been. A 'yes' vote would only see the same question being raised 18 months down the line.

One of the most significant, perhaps the most significant, reasons the club remains an unnatractive investment to external parties is because it currently owes Mr Fenty over £2m in 'benign' loans. These are loans that Mr Fenty has stated he never expects to see repaid and that have already been written off 'in his head' - but he remains reluctant to write them off on the balance sheet. Why?

Where is the money going to come from? Who knows, but I imagine we'll be a damn sight closer to finding out if we didn't have £2m of loans to pay back to this man.

A 'yes' vote is not a vote for progression. In my opinion, it is the coward's way out and another 'bending over' for Honest John.

A 'no' vote would, at the very minimum, open the door for further discussion and would allow for greater representation of the views of the fans through increased membership in the Trust.

Private Message
Reply: 159 - 166
lew chaterleys lover
February 16, 2021, 9:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Nothing to disagree about there. Pity the Trust voted to give him the shares.
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 166
February 17, 2021, 2:04am
Guest User
Quoted from 137
But my (very fallible) memory is that he didn't do this.

In which case why aren't the Trust demanding their shares back if he broke the terms of the agreement?

The Trust should obtain a legal opinion to establish whether they have a case to reclaim the shares, surely?

https://www.pillsburylaw.com/i.....actsSweigart5114.pdf

https://www.blakemorgan.co.uk/but-you-said-it-was-ok-can-you-make-a-verbal-agreement/
Reply: 161 - 166
barralad
February 17, 2021, 4:13pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from ska face

Wow...the debate was fiercer than I remembered. Some real blast from the past names there.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 166
arryarryarry
February 17, 2021, 5:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,019
Gold Stars: 117
I wonder if all those that had their tongues stuck up JF's bottom still feel the same way.
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 166
barralad
February 17, 2021, 8:01pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from arryarryarry
I wonder if all those that had their tongues stuck up JF's bottom still feel the same way.

Actually I was surprised to see some interesting names offering support to JF.

I'd also forgotten how "anal" 80s Glory was

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 166
barralad
February 18, 2021, 11:30am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from 137

Makes interesting reading.

As you might expect or at least hope for, the Trust are focused on getting this take over deal over the line. With that in mind anything else is a side issue. We have had a conversation with JF around those shares. We will be having further discussions.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 166
February 18, 2021, 12:30pm
Guest User
Quoted from barralad

Makes interesting reading.

As you might expect or at least hope for, the Trust are focused on getting this take over deal over the line. With that in mind anything else is a side issue. We have had a conversation with JF around those shares. We will be having further discussions.

Interesting to hear. Thanks for the feedback.
Reply: 166 - 166
17 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust AGM

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.