Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Highest profile spectator/player to attend BP
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 73 Guests

Highest profile spectator/player to attend BP

This thread currently has 10,156 views. Print
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Mayaman
February 8, 2022, 4:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,462
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from WesternMariner
Have to be Nigel Kennedy (what do you mean who - the violinist) who I remember giving it large from the front of the upper. He certainly thought he was the highest profile spectator until a chorus of who the flipping hell is that saw him back to his seat. My memory may be playing tricks on me but i think it was the night Paul McGrath put on a defensive masterclass for Villa despite hardly being able to walk.

Yeah.  What did he expect?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 113
Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire
February 8, 2022, 5:02pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +244
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from forza ivano
There mustve bern some big names who played in the 30s and 40s .
If not I'm going for lloyd Griffiths, thomas turgoose n dean reynolds

What about Mike Hallett?1?!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 113
Withnail
February 8, 2022, 5:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from WesternMariner
Have to be Nigel Kennedy (what do you mean who - the violinist) who I remember giving it large from the front of the upper. He certainly thought he was the highest profile spectator until a chorus of who the flipping hell is that saw him back to his seat. My memory may be playing tricks on me but i think it was the night Paul McGrath put on a defensive masterclass for Villa despite hardly being able to walk.

I wondered if Nigel Kennedy was at the Villa game. One of the best atmosphere's I've ever experienced at BP. Up there with Spurs (Lineker et al) and Fulham in the Play Off semi final.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 113
Withnail
February 8, 2022, 5:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Mayaman
If Kissinger had of been there. Grimsby would have been at war shortly afterwards as any visit from Kissingeer precedes a war. Scum of the earth.  That said, we did have a cod war!

It wasn't Maradona that was doing keepy uppy, it was some Brazilian kid who was on that Coke ads that did the half-time entertainment.

The event is apparently referenced in Tony Crosland's biography, written by his wife, which I must admit I've not read, so can't send an image of the relevant text:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tony-Crosland-Susan/dp/022401787X

Here's proof Crosland met Kissinger in Lincs, albeit not the match
https://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2009/news/photographer-retires-after-four-decades-with-newspaper/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 113
Gaffer58
February 8, 2022, 5:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,103
Gold Stars: 33
Leighton James in the early seventies, he was classed as world class, and to be honest he was that day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 113
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 8, 2022, 5:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,791
Gold Stars: 82
Did Jack Charlton play in a testimonial at Blundell Park in early 70’s?

Think he played for an All star eleven in Ron Cockerill’s testimonial which I remember attending but not who played. I also recall reading Tom Finley’s book and he told the story of how players loved playing in testimonial matches at Grimsby as they were always given a crate of fish.

Regards Barralad’s comment re Ray Wilson not sure about Shrewsbury but he definitely played for Oldham in the first game of the season, might have been 1970, think we won 4-1.

Remember Keegan also played for Newcastle in a forward three that also included Chris Waddle and Peter Beardsley in a 1-1 draw.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 113
barralad
February 8, 2022, 5:58pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Withnail

The event is apparently referenced in Tony Crosland's biography, written by his wife, which I must admit I've not read, so can't send an image of the relevant text:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tony-Crosland-Susan/dp/022401787X

Here's proof Crosland met Kissinger in Lincs, albeit not the match
https://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2009/news/photographer-retires-after-four-decades-with-newspaper/

A very good biography. What is without question is that Crosland met Kissinger at RAF Waddington. Crosland had an engagement which he wouldn't put off so that he and Kissinger could meet in London. That engagement was Town's match with Gillingham. The Civil Service (Foreign Office) were furious because it meant getting up at 4 a.m. to get to Lincoln.
According to Susan Crosland Kissinger was on his way to Africa (Rhodesia).

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 113
Sigone
February 8, 2022, 6:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5

What about Mike Hallett?1?!

Mike used to bring N.Batch back from games..was often in the gy bars before the supporters coach got back home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 113
IlkleyMariner
February 8, 2022, 6:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,029
Gold Stars: 69
Norman La Mont chancellor of the exchequer. Disappointed his political career didn’t end well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 113
golfer
February 8, 2022, 6:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.28
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Johnny Haynes, Jimmy Hill for Fulham  Stanley Mathews . Over the years the list is endless
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 113
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Highest profile spectator/player to attend BP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.