9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
AndyGTFC
May 7, 2022, 10:26pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +808
Gold Stars: 5
Just one of those games. Crazy minute to put us 2-0 down with ten men after a good start and it was always going to be difficult from there with a team that were going to slow the game down and waste time but we tried.

Massive shame about the Scannell injury as that's another key player missing for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 82
TAGG
May 7, 2022, 10:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 126
It was just a mad minuet or so.
It's gone so let's move on UTM

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 82
RonMariner
May 7, 2022, 11:19pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.43
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,913
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from TAGG
It was just a mad minuet or so.
It's gone so let's move on UTM

Indeed.

We are virtually certain now to be in the play offs and at the start of the season  most of us regarded that as constituting quite an achievement.

Obviously  a fully fit MacAtee, Efete, Scannell, and yes, Max Wright, would have made us a real threat. We don't have that, so it will be more of a struggle. But at the end of the day the 11 that go out there in these matches will give it their all and we still have a chance. We probably just need a bit more of the rub of the green to pull it off.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 82
Mayaman
May 8, 2022, 4:11am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,462
Gold Stars: 74

Doesn’t do enough? He’s a class player for this level and rarely wastes a touch.

He doesn't score enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 82
golfer
May 8, 2022, 8:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.28
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Amos is vastly improved now that he has been told to get "nasty".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 82
Mariner_09
May 8, 2022, 11:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Firstly, I'm going to focus on the positives. Ben Fox was superb, not sure why it's taken so long for him to replace Jones. I thought we played as well as we have for weeks in all honesty, we didn't create very many chances but I was sitting there in absolute disbelief we were 2-0 down, we battered them. Was the most one sided 0-2 I'd seen at HT. We finally started a game well, Scanz was probably making a case for being the best player in the division, the goal felt like it was coming before he went off.

I'll turn to the negatives now. Firstly the OG, whether Crocombe shouted or not, seems like he did, it looked to me like Waterfall had a complete non-situation under control and Crocombe disconbobulated him by charging out. To happen twice in two games suggests an underlying communication issue that needs resolving now, as we'd likely have got six points from the last two games without it, not one and we'd be looking at home playoff game being pretty nailed on now.

We're still going to make the playoffs but we have virtually no chance of progressing to the final given Efete and Scannell are definitely injured and I have my doubts as to how fit McAtee will actually be when he plays. Throw in we have to win away at two sides who finished above us within three days and it gets very tough.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 82
cmackenzie4
May 8, 2022, 11:47am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.22
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He’s a completely different player to Amond. A combination of Taylor and Amond in one player probably doesn’t exist below Championship level.

Yes I totally get that, I understand Taylor is playing at this level for a reason but what I don’t see is him making himself available in the box (creating spaces) like Amond did, I thought that’s what strikers did, it’s obvious he doesn’t due to his lack of goals, he had an ideal chance yesterday to nip in front of a defender and keeper but didn’t, he just stood static when he could have clearly got that ball.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 82
lew chaterleys lover
May 8, 2022, 2:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,816
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Yes I totally get that, I understand Taylor is playing at this level for a reason but what I don’t see is him making himself available in the box (creating spaces) like Amond did, I thought that’s what strikers did, it’s obvious he doesn’t due to his lack of goals, he had an ideal chance yesterday to nip in front of a defender and keeper but didn’t, he just stood static when he could have clearly got that ball.

I think you are being incredibly harsh on Taylor who has been fantastic all season. I cannot recall the move you mention but there may be loads of reasons he didn't react. I have lost track of the goals he has created and helped to create with his brilliant hold up play and exquisite touches.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 82
MuddyWaters
May 8, 2022, 2:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236

I think you are being incredibly harsh on Taylor who has been fantastic all season. I cannot recall the move you mention but there may be loads of reasons he didn't react. I have lost track of the goals he has crated and helped to create with his brilliant hold up play and exquisite touches.

This.

He reminds me of Teddy Sheringham in how he plays. Not a prolific goalscorer but good in the air and always looking to bring others into play. One lay off yesterday from Taylor to Scannell was of a much higher level than National League.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 82
diehardmariner
May 8, 2022, 4:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,794
Gold Stars: 545
One of them games. Sometimes just have to dust yourself down and accept it wasn't to be your day.

Scannell injury knackered everything up, completely feel for the lad. He was flying in those opening minutes and looked set to better them on his own.

JMD was maybe the right call as the sub and Hurst wasn't to know he would be needed as a wing back for a large period of the game. He looks unfit, lacking confidence and was pretty poor all round. Add the responsibility of covering the whole right flank and it's a recipe for disaster.

I've seen a lot of alternative substitutions and tactics suggested post Waterfall and I don't think there is a right or wrong one. Arguably I think we might have been better actually taking JMD off for Pearson, pushing Clifton inside and going 4-3-2.  No one out of position, retaining energy wide and in the middle.  Hindsight is bloody wonderful though isn't it?

A point from six gets us over the line but we need key players to start doing more. JMD doesn't look close to the player who hit the ground running and Holohan has looked well off the pace for a few weeks. McAtee aside I'm struggling to see anyone who's going to come in and really drag wins out of us.

Regards McAtee, he clearly can't be fit. Even at 3-0 that game was there for the taking, definitely at 2-0.  They were awful yet we just lacked a little edge. A fit McAtee on the pitch changes that game and I think Hurst knew it. Not a criticism either because I don't know who else you put on the bench.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.