6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
May 9, 2022, 9:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,084
Gold Stars: 190
We had 2 strikers on Saturday and there was a moment where JMD squared the ball through loads of space to the penalty spot and there wasn't a single black and white shirt there.

I think Taylor is brilliant at linking play but I think realistically he needs to be scoring 12-15 a season and we need another couple of players scoring a similar amount at least alongside other goals throughout the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 53
Maringer
May 9, 2022, 10:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from HerveJosse

That was battling to stay in the Championship equivalent not Division 5 of course we scored less goals

Fewer goals. He was a second tier striker playing against second tier defenders. Taylor is a 5th tier striker playing against 5th tier defenders. He's never been a prolific scorer because that isn't what he's there for, yet has enjoyed a good career at a higher level without ever scoring too many goals. Sort of similar to LJL and JLAA who were never considered good enough by lots of fans, yet who have spent most of their careers playing in a higher division than us. Taylor is a lot more skilful than either of these, however.

I'd have hoped for a few more goals from Taylor, but he missed the start of the season through injury, was thrown in when half-fit out of necessity and we then had that terrible run of form and results which wasn't just down to the strikers missing chances.

As others in the thread have noted, we've not put enough good crosses in this season which also helps to explain why we've not scored enough goals. Maidenhead game a case in point. Before Waterfall's moments of madness, we'd got into 3 or 4 great positions but didn't manage to find the pass or cross to finish them off. It's all well and good putting in a dangerous cross into an area of the box when pressed, but not being able to pick out a player when you've got time is a different matter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 53
May 11, 2022, 6:28am
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer
Perhaps not such a bad idea, providing he can get his head around the positioning aspect of things. I would say that Clifton is perhaps not all that strong in the air (though he's always willing to challenge) so that might be one place where he might struggle.

Kevin Jobling was originally a central midfielder until Buckley moved him and he didn't do too bad...

However, I suspect Efete will leave this summer and we may perhaps end up with Cropper as first choice full-back? I wouldn't be too disappointed with this as Efete flatters to deceive in a lot of games and has struggled with injuries as well. Cropper looks OK defensively and that throw is a real weapon at this (or any) level. Hopefully, we'll keep Amos for the other side of the pitch.

I agree, but it's fair to point out that John McDermott generally jumped with little expectation - and he wasn't too bad for us.

Returning to the theme of the thread, I think Shaun Pearson has been little short of magnificent when called upon this season.
I do hope the club plans to keep him around the place when his playing days are finally done.
Reply: 42 - 53
Mariner Timsky
May 11, 2022, 8:55am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,535
Gold Stars: 5
Back to the theme of the thread - Shaun Pearson was immense last night

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 53
Hagrid
May 11, 2022, 9:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,532
Gold Stars: 544
he really was excellent
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 53
Poojah
May 11, 2022, 9:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,002
Gold Stars: 1,534
So, here's the question - who starts in the play-offs? I think most would agree that Pearson and Waterfall can't play together, so it's one of those two alongside him.

By all accounts, Waterfall has been consistently excellent all season, but has just been guilty of three very high-profile errors in the space of two halves of football. Is he forgiven for those in light of his otherwise solid season, or is Pearson now in possession of the shirt?

Tough call.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 53
rancido
May 11, 2022, 9:44am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,665
Gold Stars: 102
IMO Shaun still has a lot to offer this club. Critics point out to his lack of speed but he reads the game well which more than compensates for this. The big advantage he has over Waterfall is his ability to bring the ball out of defense. Although he may not be first choice he is a great option to have on the bench if the need arises.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 53
Maringer
May 11, 2022, 9:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
I thought all the defence played really well and looked very solid last night and yes, Pearson didn't put a foot wrong. Boreham Wood proved to be less of a handful at set pieces than I expected when I saw the size of their two massive central defenders and I think this was in part to how well we challenged them in the air, despite giving away a few inches in many positions. That said, I was surprised they didn't bring the big guys at the back into the box for long throws as it is what you might expect. I suspect they didn't want them to have to run too far as they didn't look the fittest - their number 5 could barely run in the last 15 minutes!

On that performance, I'd perhaps expect Pearson to start the next game ahead of Waterfall and then see if he continues his form to earn a play-off start. Waterfall does offer more of a goal threat and is quicker across the pitch, but Pearson is better with the ball at his feet. A tough choice for Hurst to make. Let's hope that Smith stays fit as we'd struggle to replace him as the nippier central defender!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 53
Jarmo.Is.God
May 11, 2022, 10:54am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
To be fair, the defence had picked itself for the last few weeks, and credit to them, as only Stockport, Halifax & Boreham wood have conceded less than us all season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 53
The Yard Dog
May 11, 2022, 11:51am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,520
Gold Stars: 74
Just been chatting to Shaun in Tesco's, he relaxed about the play-offs, we have never really done well in our previous home play-off games. I said in another thread that I would take Notts County away, rather than at home, pressure on them, hopefully a good allocation, if they dont play silly buggers, could break the National league record for highest attendance,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for Shaun Pearson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.