4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
June 1, 2022, 9:30am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,293
Gold Stars: 103
VAR is male masturbation

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 39
Rodley Mariner
June 1, 2022, 9:57am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,279
Gold Stars: 185
The biggest problem for me is that it ruins those amazing moments that football is all about. We've had two last minute winners in the last week that were just absolutely pure, undiluted magic. With VAR that would have been a few seconds of going mental, then a thought of 'Oh I wonder if there's anything wrong with it', then potentially quite a long wait to find out if they counted. I'd take the odd crap decision rather than lose those moments any day of the week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
gtfc_chris
June 1, 2022, 9:58am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,520
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from toontown

Don't think so with the double jeopardy rule it's a pen and yellow card.

What are the fine details in the double jeopardy rule? Sure I remember something being said when Waterfall was sent off against Maidenhead and the penalty given. We were sat in the stands wondering about the double jeopardy rule and why it wasn't applied. Memory just not good enough to remember what the answer was!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 39
Poojah
June 1, 2022, 10:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,002
Gold Stars: 1,534
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
The biggest problem for me is that it ruins those amazing moments that football is all about. We've had two last minute winners in the last week that were just absolutely pure, undiluted magic. With VAR that would have been a few seconds of going mental, then a thought of 'Oh I wonder if there's anything wrong with it', then potentially quite a long wait to find out if they counted. I'd take the odd crap decision rather than lose those moments any day of the week.

Yep. Goal goes in, look at the ref, look at the lino. All good? It's time to go mental. Horrible to have a come down from that two minutes later (see that goal from the free kick away at Salford a couple of seasons ago, which was bizarrely disallowed by the fourth official long after the net had rippled).

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
TownSNAFU5
June 1, 2022, 10:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
VAR  makes good and bad history.  A different reality.  EWorld Cup over the line for England.  Bristol Rovers non-sending off or red card for their keeper.

Lampard non-goal in World Cup.  Way over the line.

Salford goal.

Leeds denied European Cup final win as officials favoured or influenced by famous Bayern Munich fans.  Leeds fans rioted,

Leeds again,  WBA offside goal allowed to stand at end of the season.  Leeds lose the title.

Football is spontaneous joy or misery.  Unpredictable.  Injustices or perceived injustices live long in the memory though.

Sorting out marginal and crazy offside decisions would give VAR more credibility and acceptance.  And speed the review process up.  We are not looking for 99% certainly.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
bedders78
June 1, 2022, 10:36am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +842
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from gtfc_chris

What are the fine details in the double jeopardy rule? Sure I remember something being said when Waterfall was sent off against Maidenhead and the penalty given. We were sat in the stands wondering about the double jeopardy rule and why it wasn't applied. Memory just not good enough to remember what the answer was!

I think there needs to be a genuine attempt to play the ball and not just wrestle someone to the floor

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
Les Brechin
June 1, 2022, 10:45am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

And more than likely our winner at Notts County would have been disallowed!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
rancido
June 1, 2022, 12:05pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,665
Gold Stars: 102
I have no problem with VAR but I do have with the way it is applied. It should be used for crucial fouls missed by the officials . It should not be applied to those that the officials give but the punishment given is not deemed severe enough by the VAR ref , like our sending off against Crystal Palace in the FA Cup.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
lew chaterleys lover
June 1, 2022, 12:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,803
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from rancido
I have no problem with VAR but I do have with the way it is applied. It should be used for crucial fouls missed by the officials . It should not be applied to those that the officials give but the punishment given is not deemed severe enough by the VAR ref , like our sending off against Crystal Palace in the FA Cup.

Where do you draw the line though, checking "crucial fouls"?

Every on-field decision by a referee has a knock-on effect on the play that follows. Every foul is an opinion; sometimes VAR sees it differently from the ref, and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it doesn't get involved when it should and sometimes it gets involved when it shouldn't. The whole thing is a joke, the game is no better and after a VAR decision pundits spend endless minutes looking at it and they still can't agree.

If they must, just use it for goal-line technology and offsides where there is daylight between the players.  
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 39
HandOfCodd
June 1, 2022, 1:18pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +2
Quoted from GrimRob
Shame, I was hoping for a Hand of Cod winner.

You called?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › VAR

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.