Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Death of the football programme?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 95 Guests

Death of the football programme?

This thread currently has 3,322 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimPol
July 8, 2022, 8:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from 800
I think Grimsby's programme is of very good quality so I'm happy buying it.

I'm biased in some ways because I've contributed to grassroots football programmes for a good while and very regularly in the last couple of seasons. I did write the GTST page in The Mariner for a few years but that was over a decade ago.

Goole AFC have a good print run and regularly sell out. A proper glossy with some really interesting articles. I write match reports for two local sides and one club, Harworth Colliery, puts them all in its programmes which it even produces for U21 matches.

Programmes don't have to be big affairs. I'd be happy for a slimmed down version at Town if it meant we still had one. I went to see my other local side, Club Thorne Colliery, play in an U21 game at Wombwell Town and the home side's four page programme was a thing of real beauty.

Not for everyone but I love getting a programme.

Doncaster Rovers Belles produce a teamsheet and have all the latest league news and stats on the back. A great effort. More like the original football programmes.

Wasn't there a Fanzine being printed in the "Roy of the Rovers" style?
I don't think it was a Club project as the Cartoons/Articles were irreverant.
From memory, they were not rude nor nasty just poking fun at the players/manager/board etc.
I never saw anybody sell them, they just were read whilst waiting for the KO.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
ginnywings
July 8, 2022, 10:55am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from GrimPol

Wasn't there a Fanzine being printed in the "Roy of the Rovers" style?
I don't think it was a Club project as the Cartoons/Articles were irreverant.
From memory, they were not rude nor nasty just poking fun at the players/manager/board etc.
I never saw anybody sell them, they just were read whilst waiting for the KO.

SWWF.
Sing When We're Fishing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
HertsGTFC
July 8, 2022, 1:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,076
Gold Stars: 238
I don’t buy them many longer but appreciate the tradition and the massive efforts contributors take in writing stuff for free in their own time.

As I kid I used to get Shoot magazine and in the small ads there was Steve Earle football programmes. You could get a massive bundle for £10 or so.

What you got was completely random but in a time when there was only 3 TV channels  and football once a week on a Saturday night these programmes kept me occupied for hours. I remember the Mick Mills testimonial was a rather good read.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
gtfcmd
July 8, 2022, 2:17pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +210
Gold Stars: 3
My son buys them every game with his pocket money to add to his collection I hope they don’t stop doing them he would be devastated if he missed a copy on match days
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
lee65
July 8, 2022, 8:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,489
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from ginnywings

SWWF.  
Sing When We're Fishing.

Please can somebody find the brilliant “Hull speak” guide that was in one edition!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
barralad
July 9, 2022, 5:11pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Two teams in the National League only produced a digital programme last year-Dover and Barnet. In the 2019-20 season only Stevenage did so. I'm with Thornemariner on this to the extent that along with Tintowner of this parish we have found someone who will do a professionally printed copy of the digital. Problem solved!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
BenBB
July 9, 2022, 6:39pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +842
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from gtfcmd
My son buys them every game with his pocket money to add to his collection I hope they don’t stop doing them he would be devastated if he missed a copy on match days

They’re definitely ace for the younger fans. My fondest memories of going to BP as a child with my dad or nana was getting a programme before the game.

Just make for a nice trinket/keepsake whilst being informative and entertaining for pre-game/HT and the ride home! Especially as the signal in BP is so poop!

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 26
GYinScuntland
July 10, 2022, 3:38am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Just another good match day experience taken away, much the same as walking up to the turnstiles and paying with money.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
Manchester Mariner
July 10, 2022, 11:58am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,827
Gold Stars: 42
The game's gone.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
marinerjase
July 10, 2022, 1:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,713
Gold Stars: 157
It is a shame that football programmes are slowly going, was always a big part of the football experience when you start going as a youngster. I always used to get them, I still buy occasionally now as the quality of the programme Jack Johnson and others provide for our club is outstanding.

Going back a few decades I used to like the ones with the team line ups on the back but with a small description of each player of both sides underneath. Couldn’t do that now given the numbers involved etc.

Times and things change - harder to justify the need for a programme given you can get all the content you need online. That said I’m very much in the camp of tradition - and I’ll be buying one first home game this season - those who have got out the habit of getting one - pick up a copy, think you’ll be pleasantly surprised as to how good it is.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Death of the football programme?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.