Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham Documentary
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 76 Guests

Wrexham Documentary

This thread currently has 40,482 views. Print
25 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
August 25, 2022, 4:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,019
Gold Stars: 117
Private Message
mariner83
August 25, 2022, 7:35am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Even a Hollywood superhero couldn't rescue Wrexham: CHRISTOPHER STEVENS gives his verdict on the documentary that follows A-list owners of a lowly football club

Hollywood stars Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney face a daunting job. They've bought Wrexham FC, vowing to see it promoted back into the football league.

The goal of the multi-millionaire actors is to propel their club into League Two – the old Fourth Division. Welcome To Wrexham, an eight-part docuseries on Disney+, charts their progress.

Late news from the Racecourse Ground: it's Hollywood 0, Harsh Reality 2. The club is currently on the cusp of the play-off places, after failing to get promoted last year.

But if they have an uphill struggle, spare a thought for Disney's subtitles writer. Most of the more challenging dialects have to be captioned for a US audience – and confronted by the rich variety of British accents, the subtitler has the thankless task of translating them into... well, American.

North Walian is tricky enough. But he's expected to cope with Brummie, with Manc, with Scouse. Inevitably, there's a lot of paraphrasing. When goalie Rob Lainton pats his biceps and declares, 'I think I'm in good nick,' it's subtitled as, 'I think I look good.'

Elsewhere, the captioner has to rely on guesswork. 'Doesn't matter,' said in a Wrexham accent, sounds a lot like 'at the moment' to an American ear, apparently.

But when beer is involved, the task becomes impossible. A bit of exuberant and inventive ranting by a fan was simply subtitled, '???'.

One character who doesn't need captioning is McElhenney's friend Humphrey Ker, a 6ft 7in Old Etonian comedy writer who acts as the go-between for club and new owners.

'I'm going to be a conduit,' he told the players. It's a pity they didn't have the benefit of subtitles, because you could easily mishear that word 'conduit'.

Ryan Reynolds is best known as the star of Deadpool, a superhero movie franchise. You might not recognise him with his mask off.

You probably won't recognise Rob McElhenney either, because he's chiefly known for a long-running US sitcom rarely seen in Britain, called It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Both men have the doppelganger face of Hollywood leading men – long jaws, self-deprecating grins, interchangeable beards. If you made a movie of their lives, Ioan Gruffudd could play either of them.

The pair didn't know each other, except through social media, before going into business together. Rob was frank about why he approached Ryan, a much bigger star: 'I had TV money, but I needed superhero movie money.'

How much they paid for the club in 2020 wasn't revealed. We're told that 98 per cent of the supporters' club backed the takeover, but the financial details are never mentioned.

This is a show about the emotion of football, not the accounts. Despite its efforts to paint Wrexham as the British equivalent of an industrial city in America's 'rust belt', it does evoke the passion of the game.

Most of the first two half-hour episodes consist of Ryan and Rob insisting that this isn't a vanity project.

That's difficult to swallow, coming from men with teeth like aircraft landing lights, but I believe them. Thousands wouldn't.

Asked why they chose Wrexham, the world's third oldest club, Rob went into a long explanation of how much the Philadelphia Eagles, an American football club, meant to him. He's undoubtedly sincere, but it still doesn't explain, 'Why Wrexham?' Ryan flashed his goofy smile and confessed he was trying to live up to the dreams his late father had for him.

They are shaky on the rules of the game, and even the documentary makers were flummoxed by the rules governing promotion and relegation.

One graphic was littered with errors – citing the wrong number of teams in a league, the wrong number of clubs demoted each year, that kind of thing.

Basic terminology, such as the meaning of 'nil', baffled them. Watching one match, Rob attempts to explain what is happening on the pitch: 'He got the red card which means he is immediately ejected from the game.' In a Zoom call, Ryan tries to look suitably impressed as Humphrey extols the talents of a striker. 'Thirty-four goals in all competitions? Wow!' he gasps – clearly clueless about what that actually means.

But the duo are serious in their desire for success. On the final day of the season last year, Rob woke at 4am to watch the game live from his home in Los Angeles. Wrexham could manage only a draw and failed to make the play-offs.

That brought out the Californian serial killer instinct.

Wrexham's manager, his backroom team and ten of the players were axed.

This was dressed up in LA therapy jargon, of course. 'Not everyone can come on the journey with us,' Humphrey regretted. As the series progresses, we see less of Rob and Ryan. It's not that the lack of instant success means their interest is waning, heaven forbid.

Instead, the film-makers are mirroring other streaming video shows about football, such as Netflix's Sunderland 'Til I Die, and Amazon Prime's All Or Nothing: Arsenal.

This shifts the emphasis on to fans, players and volunteers at the club.

We meet the local band who have recorded a Wrexham anthem, and a disgruntled painter and decorator whose love for the club keeps him going in a job he hates.

And we eavesdrop on two middle-aged ladies who sit outside a coffee shop to dissect the manager's tactics each Saturday. We all know that middle-aged ladies and their cappuccinos are the backbone of every British football club's fanbase... at least, in the Hollywood version.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 1 - 241
aldi_01
August 25, 2022, 8:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
fornicators released in batches too so we’ve still got to wait for weeks until we can watch us ruin it…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 241
DB
August 25, 2022, 9:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.34
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,069
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from mariner83
Even a Hollywood superhero couldn't rescue Wrexham: CHRISTOPHER STEVENS gives his verdict on the documentary that follows A-list owners of a lowly football club

Hollywood stars Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney face a daunting job. They've bought Wrexham FC, vowing to see it promoted back into the football league.

The goal of the multi-millionaire actors is to propel their club into League Two – the old Fourth Division. Welcome To Wrexham, an eight-part docuseries on Disney+, charts their progress.

Late news from the Racecourse Ground: it's Hollywood 0, Harsh Reality 2. The club is currently on the cusp of the play-off places, after failing to get promoted last year.

But if they have an uphill struggle, spare a thought for Disney's subtitles writer. Most of the more challenging dialects have to be captioned for a US audience – and confronted by the rich variety of British accents, the subtitler has the thankless task of translating them into... well, American.

North Walian is tricky enough. But he's expected to cope with Brummie, with Manc, with Scouse. Inevitably, there's a lot of paraphrasing. When goalie Rob Lainton pats his biceps and declares, 'I think I'm in good nick,' it's subtitled as, 'I think I look good.'

Elsewhere, the captioner has to rely on guesswork. 'Doesn't matter,' said in a Wrexham accent, sounds a lot like 'at the moment' to an American ear, apparently.

But when beer is involved, the task becomes impossible. A bit of exuberant and inventive ranting by a fan was simply subtitled, '???'.

One character who doesn't need captioning is McElhenney's friend Humphrey Ker, a 6ft 7in Old Etonian comedy writer who acts as the go-between for club and new owners.

'I'm going to be a conduit,' he told the players. It's a pity they didn't have the benefit of subtitles, because you could easily mishear that word 'conduit'.

Ryan Reynolds is best known as the star of Deadpool, a superhero movie franchise. You might not recognise him with his mask off.

You probably won't recognise Rob McElhenney either, because he's chiefly known for a long-running US sitcom rarely seen in Britain, called It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Both men have the doppelganger face of Hollywood leading men – long jaws, self-deprecating grins, interchangeable beards. If you made a movie of their lives, Ioan Gruffudd could play either of them.

The pair didn't know each other, except through social media, before going into business together. Rob was frank about why he approached Ryan, a much bigger star: 'I had TV money, but I needed superhero movie money.'

How much they paid for the club in 2020 wasn't revealed. We're told that 98 per cent of the supporters' club backed the takeover, but the financial details are never mentioned.

This is a show about the emotion of football, not the accounts. Despite its efforts to paint Wrexham as the British equivalent of an industrial city in America's 'rust belt', it does evoke the passion of the game.

Most of the first two half-hour episodes consist of Ryan and Rob insisting that this isn't a vanity project.

That's difficult to swallow, coming from men with teeth like aircraft landing lights, but I believe them. Thousands wouldn't.

Asked why they chose Wrexham, the world's third oldest club, Rob went into a long explanation of how much the Philadelphia Eagles, an American football club, meant to him. He's undoubtedly sincere, but it still doesn't explain, 'Why Wrexham?' Ryan flashed his goofy smile and confessed he was trying to live up to the dreams his late father had for him.

They are shaky on the rules of the game, and even the documentary makers were flummoxed by the rules governing promotion and relegation.

One graphic was littered with errors – citing the wrong number of teams in a league, the wrong number of clubs demoted each year, that kind of thing.

asic terminology, such as the meaning of 'nil', baffled them. Watching one match, Rob attempts to explain what is happening on the pitch: 'He got the red card which means he is immediately ejected from the game.' In a Zoom call, Ryan tries to look suitably impressed as Humphrey extols the talents of a striker. 'Thirty-four goals in all competitions? Wow!' he gasps – clearly clueless about what that actually means.

But the duo are serious in their desire for success. On the final day of the season last year, Rob woke at 4am to watch the game live from his home in Los Angeles. Wrexham could manage only a draw and failed to make the play-offs.

That brought out the Californian serial killer instinct.

Wrexham's manager, his backroom team and ten of the players were axed.

This was dressed up in LA therapy jargon, of course. 'Not everyone can come on the journey with us,' Humphrey regretted. As the series progresses, we see less of Rob and Ryan. It's not that the lack of instant success means their interest is waning, heaven forbid.

Instead, the film-makers are mirroring other streaming video shows about football, such as Netflix's Sunderland 'Til I Die, and Amazon Prime's All Or Nothing: Arsenal.

This shifts the emphasis on to fans, players and volunteers at the club.

We meet the local band who have recorded a Wrexham anthem, and a disgruntled painter and decorator whose love for the club keeps him going in a job he hates.

And we eavesdrop on two middle-aged ladies who sit outside a coffee shop to dissect the manager's tactics each Saturday. We all know that middle-aged ladies and their cappuccinos are the backbone of every British football club's fanbase... at least, in the Hollywood version.

This is the reason I can't be bothered to watch it.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 241
crusty ole pie
August 26, 2022, 7:17am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,407
Gold Stars: 66
Just let me know when anything of interest happens
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 241
promotion plaice
August 26, 2022, 7:25am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,084
Gold Stars: 201
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Just let me know when anything of interest happens

Last episode  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 241
MarinerBen
August 26, 2022, 10:24am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +243
Just watched the two episodes on offer, and it comes as no surprise that people on here are bemoaning it already.

Disney are putting non-league English football on a global platform. This isn't Arsenal or Sunderland, it's Wrexham. On Disney...and Grimsby will feature at some point (albeit as the villains!).

Reynolds and McElhenney come across as subdued versions of their usual public identities, but in the end somehow get you rooting for the Dragons as they try to overcome the struggles of the National League.

Pearson also features as he was there during the takeover. Plot twist!

"Take what you can, give nothing back"
                                                                 - Capt. J. Sparrow
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 241
Kris2
August 26, 2022, 4:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,635
Gold Stars: 136
First episode was a bit boring as not much to do with football as it was mostly background on Ryan and Rob but second episode is a look inside a club in the middle of a takeover with coaches and players feeling the sting of jobs on the line as the season finishes. You feel for Dean Keates who returned to a club he almost got to the playoffs in his first spell as they were fighting relegation from the National League and got them back to playoff contenders, they missed out on the playoffs on the last day of the season and then the offloading begins. With the backing his successor got and his experience in the league maybe they wouldn't have had to settle for the playoffs and lose to us had they kept him on. Hindsight and all that.

Amusing point in episode 2 was seeing comedy writer and actor Humphrey Ker appointed an executive director because Ryan and Rob "trust him", he knows nothing about football and it shows with him pottering around the club not knowing what he's looking for or talking about. During a players meeting he introduces himself to the players who look suitably confused why he's even there as in a voice over he describes meeting the team as meeting "the cool kids at school while I'm the nerd in the class again". As Humphrey has a crisis during his voice over he meekly introduces himself and wonders why he's even there.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 241
GollyGTFC
August 26, 2022, 6:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,000
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from MarinerBen
Just watched the two episodes on offer, and it comes as no surprise that people on here are bemoaning it already.

Disney are putting non-league English football on a global platform. This isn't Arsenal or Sunderland, it's Wrexham. On Disney...and Grimsby will feature at some point (albeit as the villains!).

Disney+ is only the host platform in the UK. It’s an FX series and is on their platform in North America.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 241
Lost in Lincoln
August 26, 2022, 6:31pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +397
Gold Stars: 8
Might watch the last one, the fairy tale ending

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 241
FPVmariner
August 26, 2022, 6:33pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 23
Seriously, who gives a fûck about NON-LEAGUE wrexham, shouldn’t even be playing in an English league anyway.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 241
oochiad
August 26, 2022, 7:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,727
Gold Stars: 28
I enjoyed it, good to see Shaun also.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 241
TownSNAFU5
August 26, 2022, 8:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
Like many Hollywood films the ending was flagged up earlier.  Dover were 5-2 up at Wrexham.  Before losing 6-5.  The key point being that we knew Wrexham could concede 5 goals at home.

Fast forward a few weeks when we also scored 5 goals. Wrexham could not come back’ this time and the rest is history.  And not the happy ending that Disney wanted,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 241
Mariner Ronnie
August 26, 2022, 11:06pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Wanted to throw the remote through the TV when I saw Shaun harvey 😡😡😡😡

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 241
louth_in_the_south
August 27, 2022, 12:27am

Exile
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,729
Gold Stars: 96
Hollywood loves a sequel. I reckon the gtfc win will be glossed over some way that the US audience will think the season will be at its half way stage and this season is their glorious triumph

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 241
BottesfordMariner
August 27, 2022, 8:10am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
I have watched the first 2 episodes.

I quite like it so far. We of course know how the story goes up to now. The fans the town the community I think a lot of football fans of lower division clubs with proud histories like Town can relate to it.

I did smile when Shaun Pearson , captain at the time, said he hoped he was able to get Wrexham back into the football league. Ironic he was part of the team that knocked them out.

I was a bit surprised the TV show starts before they actually took over. I don't know if that would question the motives for buying the club. Of course they want to win and be successful if only for their own gain.

Clearly neither guy knew anything about soccer or Wrexham. The pair had never even met in person before. That's a bit weird  

Was it all just to do with making a TV show?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 241
aldi_01
August 27, 2022, 8:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
I don’t believe either of them are scam artists and I do believe they’re genuine but I’m still not sure of the motives or what they get from it.

I haven’t started watching yet and to be honest I might not watch with full attention but I guess I’d be intrigued to know how they’re future proofing the club, what will it look like should they leave? What are their ambitions? Simply saying getting promoted isn’t ambition, everyone says that.

Whilst I’ve enjoyed watching the Sunderland, Spurs and Arsenal ones (the City one was good but they win all the time so the only episode any good was when they were knocked out of Europe to see their reaction) but one thing that tends to follow suit is that they all fail or underachieve, Wrexham did too, on both fronts and in my opinion, they still will whilst they have Parkinson.

I am interested to see how they deal with us beating them in their own backyard though, and the Wembley debacle too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 241
Mariner16
September 1, 2022, 11:22am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 4
We made episode 4 today
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 241
Poojah
September 1, 2022, 11:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,059
Gold Stars: 1,536
Quoted from Mariner16
We made episode 4 today

Will be giving that a watch with a cold beer tonight, celebrating our season defining slew* of deadline day signings.

* not a hint that we’re signing Jordan Slew from Halifax

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 241
oochiad
September 1, 2022, 2:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
I’m enjoying it, great to see our first appearance!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 241
Maringer
September 1, 2022, 3:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,727
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from BottesfordMariner

Was it all just to do with making a TV show?

When you're as rich as Croesus, you can indulge all sorts of weird and wonderful hobbies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 241
OddShapedBalls
September 1, 2022, 4:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,210
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from FPVmariner
Seriously, who gives a fûck about NON-LEAGUE wrexham, shouldn’t even be playing in an English league anyway.

I would honestly love to see Ryan Reynolds turning up for an away match at Fishgard or Havefordwest!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 241
TonySmith
September 1, 2022, 6:02pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +999
Gold Stars: 12
I have a lot of time for Wrexham. They are a real football club with history and tradition, very much on a par with Town in many ways. The supporters who have been with them for longer than 18 months are genuine fans who are desperate to see their club back in the football league after all these years away and so many near misses. One season I believe they got over 90 points only to miss out in the playoffs. That would be tough to take for any of us and could only happen in the National League.

The first two episodes feature some people that many of us would recognize simply by looking in the mirror, (I don't mean physically, of course!), and Ryan and Rob seem like genuine guys. Sure, the documentary is part of it and the pressure on the manager and players to go up this season will be immense, but I don't think they'll just leave the club in the lurch when the fairy tale doesn't pan out as they hope. They seem to think they can get them to the premier league in a few years. Good luck with that!

It was interesting to see Sean Pearson figure prominently in the first couple of episodes. I expect the clip of him saying how much he wants to lead them to promotion will be replayed in the season finale. I really like the way they are making it very clear that not all pro soccer players are multimillionaires, and in fact many are just making a living in a precarious profession where a career ending injury or release at the end of a short term contract can be devastating. I really enjoyed the Sunderland documentary series too, and this seems equally good so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 241
Kris2
September 1, 2022, 6:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Following the fans over the season is one of the better parts of these documentaries tbh, episode 3 and 4 featured them prominently and these are working class people who work hard for a living then blow off steam at the football with generations of the family following the club. Also thought it was classy of them to pay the Disabled liaison officer who was doing it on a voluntary basis for years and make sure she's taken care of.

The Phil Parkinson and Paul Mullin stuff is just funny, the first seemed desperate to avoid any reference to how much he was demanding and the second its made clear the agent was demanding a premium to make it happen. If Parkinson fails to take them up again I can't imagine what the fans will do to him, would love to know how much Hollywood money it took for him to take that job and fail. The funniest part of the documentary so far is this dork Humphrey is making decisions when he knows nothing about football, Rob is asking for his advice on signing Mullin like he has any idea what he's talking about.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 241
aldi_01
September 1, 2022, 7:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Kris2
Following the fans over the season is one of the better parts of these documentaries tbh, episode 3 and 4 featured them prominently and these are working class people who work hard for a living then blow off steam at the football with generations of the family following the club. Also thought it was classy of them to pay the Disabled liaison officer who was doing it on a voluntary basis for years and make sure she's taken care of.

The Phil Parkinson and Paul Mullin stuff is just funny, the first seemed desperate to avoid any reference to how much he was demanding and the second its made clear the agent was demanding a premium to make it happen. If Parkinson fails to take them up again I can't imagine what the fans will do to him, would love to know how much Hollywood money it took for him to take that job and fail. The funniest part of the documentary so far is this dork Humphrey is making decisions when he knows nothing about football, Rob is asking for his advice on signing Mullin like he has any idea what he's talking about.

That Humphrey bloke is buggered either way.

I don’t doubt he’s a clever bloke who’s been successful but he knows excrement all about football and that’s clear…

The fan thing is the only aspect of it I’ve found bearable to be honest…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 241
the driver
September 1, 2022, 7:16pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +127
Can’t help watching the program without having a smile on my face we did they didn’t need I say more
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 241
HertsGTFC
September 1, 2022, 8:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,075
Gold Stars: 238
I hope Wrexham go up this season, for a fraction of their support to dig into their pockets to get our supporters to London after we beat them in the semi was quite something I think.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 241
Maringer
September 3, 2022, 10:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I've now watched (well, half-watched) the episodes released so far and it is certainly the worst performance I've seen Reynolds make in his career. OK, he's never going to be Olivier, but I haven't seen a hint that he gives a crap about the club or results so far.

Most amusing bit is a tie between the bigging up of Parkinson as the second coming and the part where RHJ and others are making jokes about Mullins' wages.

Best bit is the few seconds where we score three goals against them at BP!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 241
Poojah
September 3, 2022, 11:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
I've now watched (well, half-watched) the episodes released so far and it is certainly the worst performance I've seen Reynolds make in his career. OK, he's never going to be Olivier, but I haven't seen a hint that he gives a crap about the club or results so far.

Most amusing bit is a tie between the bigging up of Parkinson as the second coming and the part where RHJ and others are making jokes about Mullins' wages.

Best bit is the few seconds where we score three goals against them at BP!

Watching it, it’s clear that their cardinal error was appointing Shaun Harvey who in turn appointed Phil Parkinson. Everyone knows Harvey is an out of touch, knowledgeless, talentless fúck and everyone knows escaping the National League requires a manager with National League experience. Neither requires much research.

Their transfer business last season was gaudy and brash. I feel no disdain for Wrexham’s very decent fans who have been in purgatory forever but they’re going to need to start playing things a lot more smartly if this project isn’t going to end up on its árse.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 241
Swansea_Mariner
September 3, 2022, 11:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,482
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from Poojah

Watching it, it’s clear that their cardinal error was appointing Shaun Harvey who in turn appointed Phil Parkinson. Everyone knows Harvey is an out of touch, knowledgeless, talentless fúck and everyone knows escaping the National League requires a manager with National League experience. Neither requires much research.

Their transfer business last season was gaudy and brash. I feel no disdain for Wrexham’s very decent fans who have been in purgatory forever but they’re going to need to start playing things a lot more smartly if this project isn’t going to end up on its árse.

Watching it, disagree they finished  second it's hardly a cardinal error. Continue as they have and they will manage it sooner or later.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 241
Maringer
September 3, 2022, 11:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I forgot to mention what an appalling tool Harvey comes across as in the show.

Which isn't really a surprise, given what we know of the man.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 241
Poojah
September 3, 2022, 11:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Watching it, disagree they finished  second it's hardly a cardinal error. Continue as they have and they will manage it sooner or later.

They spunked at least double (and probably triple) our budget to get knocked out by Town in the play-offs.

They made poor decisions and spent their money unintelligently. Whether they get promoted this season and go on to transcend us doesn’t change that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 241
Davec
September 4, 2022, 8:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
This is just me speaking personally but Unfortunately it has come to a point personally where I don't give a excrement how they do and would prefer they intercourse it up again, I know quite a few Wrexham fans who were all decent before the 28th May, but since then they have turned particularly unbearable and are trying to start a rivalry between the two clubs, only yesterday one of them told me he can't wait until next season when they play us last game of the season and they win the league and they send us back down and us fishy fornicators go back to our inbred homes and Incest families crying.

I hint a lot of jealousy from the Wrexham fans I know and it's not a good luck.

I appreciate it's only a tiny minority but just for how they have been I will be quite happy to see them fail to get promoted again!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 241
Swansea_Mariner
September 4, 2022, 10:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,482
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from Poojah

They spunked at least double (and probably triple) our budget to get knocked out by Town in the play-offs.

They made poor decisions and spent their money unintelligently. Whether they get promoted this season and go on to transcend us doesn’t change that.

I disagree I think they recruited pretty well and coming in second does vindicate that recruitment in my eyes anyhow. Building a championship winning squad from a standing start is extremely difficult. There are no guarantees, and with Stockport also spending big I think its incredibly harsh to overly criticise Parkinson.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 241
aldi_01
September 4, 2022, 10:30am

Barley Wine Drinker

I disagree I think they recruited pretty well and coming in second does vindicate that recruitment in my eyes anyhow. Building a championship winning squad from a standing start is extremely difficult. There are no guarantees, and with Stockport also spending big I think its incredibly harsh to overly criticise Parkinson.

They didn’t recruit well…they brought in Parkinson, a dinosaur, an arrogant tool who clearly didn’t have the minerals.

His tactics and substitutions didn’t work in the one game that mattered…

I have to admit, I’ve found the programme quite hard to watch, I’m not sure why but it feels almost Partridge/The Office at times.

I don’t think deadpool and his mate are in it for the wrong reasons but I’m still not sure what they’re truly in it for. It all seems a bit weird still.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 241
Yoda
September 4, 2022, 3:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,190
Gold Stars: 73
I’m really enjoying the program about time the lower leagues get some attention.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 241
arryarryarry
September 4, 2022, 3:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,019
Gold Stars: 117

You need to mention that to Wrexham fans as many on their forum wanted him gone at the end of last season.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 241
OddShapedBalls
September 5, 2022, 9:55am
Table Wine Drinker
I thought it was a fantastic insight into the dressing room to see the 5 players sharing one house complaining about Mullins wages, goes to show how you can upset the dressing room with one decision.

Also, I loved how the discussion was 'if we're going to stick to the budget we set out, we can't sign Mullin'....clearly they torched the budget paperwork when he turns up a few days later lol.

From what I've seen so far, I reckon we'll get some decent camera time and exposure in the last episode or two- it's definitely the sort of score disney would have wanted for a finale (albeit the wrong way round for their story).

Best moment of the series for me "you can't give a team like that a third goal", said with a fear in his eyes of what the future might bring.....foreshadowing, I think they call it in hollywood
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 241
buckstown
September 5, 2022, 10:31am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,243
Gold Stars: 80
I think it's the style of play the Wrexham fans don't like. With the money they've spent they should be playing great football, not the route one battering ram method
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 241
Maringer
September 5, 2022, 12:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
And, to be fair, they do have some good footballers in the team. It's just that their manager wants them to limit what they do and instead play for percentages.

As we've seen in the past, if they chuck enough money at it, they'll go up eventually. It's just the issue whether they take an extra season or two to do so. Teams like Crawley and Fleetwood did it quickly. Luton took a while to get going.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 241
Mayaman
September 5, 2022, 2:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,462
Gold Stars: 74
I guess it is a bit patrididesque, but what can you expect with a Hollywood backing.   On the flip side, it does show that lower league footballers are not all minted and also the heartache of the local working class people.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 241
Heisenberg
September 5, 2022, 2:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,108
Gold Stars: 97
I’m really enjoying it, and find the owners really likeable, which has surprised me as I invariably dislike Ryan Reynolds’ characters on the rare occasions I see his movies!

I don’t mind Wrexham or Notts County, and Solihull have clearly got a good team, so two from those three would be good - it’s chesterfield who I really don’t like.

No animosity from me towards those Wrexham fans, the 14 years they’ve had down there is unimaginable even for us. But, my god, I’m looking forward to THAT episode!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 241
dapperz fun pub
September 5, 2022, 6:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,084
Gold Stars: 84
Any way I can watch it for free ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 241
hheh2
September 5, 2022, 6:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Any way I can watch it for free ?

I will pm u they way I have done it anyone else that wants free way to watch tv/movies pm me

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 241
RonMariner
September 7, 2022, 9:01am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.43
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,914
Gold Stars: 233
Out of interest, does the documentary explain why these guys bought Wrexham in the first place? What connection do they have with the town?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 241
Poojah
September 7, 2022, 1:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

Think it’s a big and dangerous step to be accusing someone of money laundering 😳

To be fair that’s not the worst accusation I’ve heard levelled at Ryan Reynolds in the last few months…

“Grimsby boys, we’re on a bender…”

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 241
Maringer
September 7, 2022, 2:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I'd imagine McElhenny has the financial chops to do it (some of those long-running TV shows earn them a mint), but obviously easier to have a wealthier big name on board. What I'd like to know is if McElhenny is deliberately going for the 'Mini Me' look next to Reynolds?

Truth be told, the bits which have interested me the least have been the fans talking lengthily about what the club means to them. I understand that, don't need to hear it for another club!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 241
ska face
September 7, 2022, 8:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,904
Gold Stars: 854
I’ve enjoyed it so far, and think the two owners have come off reasonably well though the affected coy humour gets old pretty fast and if I were a Wrexham fan I’d be well over it. Obviously it’s not really for an audience of lower-league football sad acts like us.

They’re an easy club to like and, unlike Stockport and Chesterfield, their fans never really seemed to get too arrogant about the position they find themselves in. Reading their forum, listening to some of their podcasts and now seeing it in the documentary, there always seemed to be an air of “this is gonna go wrong at some point” within the fanbase. As we know, it did last season but they’ll walk it this year.

Parkinson seemed an odd choice at the time and I wouldn’t be happy if I were a Wrexham fan having to watch all your money being spunked on that style of football. Even in the semi, they never cut us open nor did I ever really feel too concerned whenever they had the ball. Suppose it’s easier to get a squad of non-league players to play that way than to turn them into Barcelona.

Shaun Harvey playing the role of the shít-eating, snivelling suit tosspot cúnt really well, a role he was born to play. That landlord seems a bit of a weapon too.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 241
A.l.f.
September 7, 2022, 8:42pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
Is it tomorrow night when we beat them 5-4 in the play off Semi?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 241
pontoonlew
September 7, 2022, 8:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 181
I’d be rooting for them more if Shaun Harvey wasn’t part of it.

They strike me as two really likable guys trying to do the right thing but it’s painfully obvious they don’t have a clue what they’re doing. With that urine stinking old dinosaur Harvey involved, they’ll struggle to make the wise decisions (that we have) that you need to really propel up the leagues IMO. They have the money, but Harvey will convince them to make appointments like Parkinson time & time again.

Less said about that script writer they have running it the better!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 241
ska face
September 7, 2022, 8:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from A.l.f.
Is it tomorrow night when we beat them 5-4 in the play off Semi?

Wouldn’t have thought so, there are 11 episodes and tomorrow’s will be 5 and 6. Ep11 screened on 28th sept.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 241
Rodley Mariner
September 7, 2022, 9:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,280
Gold Stars: 185
I can remember that we think Shaun Harvey is a sharp object and he certainly seems like one but what were the specific reasons to hate him beyond his general twatishness?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 241
pontoonlew
September 7, 2022, 9:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I can remember that we think Shaun Harvey is a sharp object and he certainly seems like one but what were the specific reasons to hate him beyond his general twatishness?

He ran the EFL through the most embarrassing time in their history and was responsible for the ‘Under 21s’ excrement show we have in the Pizza Trophy.

Not only that, he’s held positions at 3 clubs in his life. Scarborough (who subsequently went bust), Bradford (who almost went bust) and completing the remarkable hat-trick, Leeds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 241
Chrisblor
September 7, 2022, 9:23pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,989
Gold Stars: 243
Introduced PL B-teams into the Football League Trophy which was viewed as a precursor for potentially allowing them to eventually enter the actual league itself.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 241
Rodley Mariner
September 7, 2022, 9:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Cheers gents. He's clearly a twit but good to have the specifics to back it up. I don't think he's still involved there is he?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 241
Kris2
September 8, 2022, 2:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
I see Mullin in the latest episodes seeks to reassure everyone he's not in it for the money, which only makes it sound more like he's in it for the money.  
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 241
Posh Harry
September 8, 2022, 5:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Kris2
I see Mullin in the latest episodes seeks to reassure everyone he's not in it for the money, which only makes it sound more like he's in it for the money.  

Exactly this, he said people think he’s only gone there for the money, and then didn’t even deny it 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 241
Maringer
September 8, 2022, 6:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Mullin simply wanted to move near to Liverpool to be closer to family. The fact that there was a club in the vicinity willing to offer massive wages was merely coincidence, I'm sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 241
Poojah
September 8, 2022, 10:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Like how they’ve edited in random footage of Town fans during their home game against Chesterfield.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/Sr5pWjt/A82-CAF14-2057-470-C-A1-A4-6-A493-E4251-AA.jpg[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 241
marinerjase
September 8, 2022, 10:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,713
Gold Stars: 156
I’m liking this tbh..think it’s been excellent and different to other documentaries on football clubs. Like the mixture of genuine fans, their moments of struggles, ie family losses, illness and what their football club means to them, together with the behind the scenes ‘madness’ of their owners, and the background clips of players not being the main focal point.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 241
Poojah
September 8, 2022, 10:49pm
Vodka Drinker
I would strongly suggest Scunny fans don’t watch episode 6.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 241
Rodley Mariner
September 8, 2022, 10:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
I would strongly suggest Scunny fans don’t watch episode 6.

They'll be alright as long as Robert Downey jnr is preparing his takeover package.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 241
Poojah
September 8, 2022, 10:59pm
Vodka Drinker

They'll be alright as long as Robert Downey jnr is preparing his takeover package.

To be fair, it was the action of the Wrexham fans themselves that saved the club in order for Hollywood FC to happen 17 years later.

All I see down there A180 is apathy. Swann should never have been allowed to get this far more or less unquestioned.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 241
OddShapedBalls
September 9, 2022, 2:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
Like how they’ve edited in random footage of Town fans during their home game against Chesterfield.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/Sr5pWjt/A82-CAF14-2057-470-C-A1-A4-6-A493-E4251-AA.jpg[/img]

It's a hollywood trick to keep the threat of the grimsby reaper ever-present.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 241
OddShapedBalls
September 9, 2022, 2:45pm
Table Wine Drinker

Is this a deliberate Iron man pun, or just happy coincidence?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 241
Madeleymariner
September 9, 2022, 2:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,078
Gold Stars: 52
Watched 1st 2 episodes last night, thought it was entertaining which is what I watch tv for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 241
TwoLeftFeet
September 9, 2022, 3:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Approval: +2,108
Gold Stars: 19
Not been that impressed with it so far only bit I found funny was the other players calling Mullins... just want it to skip to last episode and see how there season finishes!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 241
buckstown
September 9, 2022, 5:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,243
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Not been that impressed with it so far only bit I found funny was the other players calling Mullins... just want it to skip to last episode and see how there season finishes!

You’ll never guess how it ends!! It’s like an Agatha Christie
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 241
Mayaman
September 9, 2022, 5:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from buckstown

You’ll never guess how it ends!! It’s like an Agatha Christie

whodunnit to them?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 241
Mayaman
September 9, 2022, 6:01pm
Brandy Drinker
I like the bits with footie in.  Ep5 had the game against Chesterfield. Ep 6 only 9 games in and it was twaddle.  More of the same, more of the Hollywood stars making cringy jokes about not anything about soccer.  They also joked about people thinking Wales was in England , speak for yourselves (and the rest of the USA.  I know it's about Wrexham but nobody seems to talk about what's going on around the league , other results or clubs.  That's not what real footie fans are about.  Look on this forum. Take a look at this forum.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 241
Abdul19
September 9, 2022, 6:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,639
Gold Stars: 220
All or Nothing: The Fishy

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 241
TonySmith
September 9, 2022, 8:46pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +999
Gold Stars: 12
Of course Mullin went there for the money as well as for the geographical location. Is there supposed to be something wrong with that? He's still making less in a year than some players at the top end make in a month, maybe a lot less.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 241
Theimperialcoroner
September 9, 2022, 10:11pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,336
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from TonySmith
Of course Mullin went there for the money as well as for the geographical location. Is there supposed to be something wrong with that? He's still making less in a year than some players at the top end make in a month, maybe a lot less.

And he’s still a cheating little get

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 241
louth_in_the_south
September 9, 2022, 10:38pm

Exile
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Playing in the NL still lol . Not that he’s bothered I’m sure if he was willing to drop from L1 to NL ! Short career and all that but ffs . I actually wouldn’t want him at Town as don’t think he’s that good.

*except at diving and handballs *

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 241
louth_in_the_south
September 9, 2022, 10:38pm

Exile
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Playing in the NL still lol . Not that he’s bothered I’m sure if he was willing to drop from L1 to NL ! Short career and all that but ffs . I actually wouldn’t want him at Town as don’t think he’s that good.

*except at diving and handballs *

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 241
jaygy
September 9, 2022, 10:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
What brings it all home is that as football fans we idolise players at that sort of level but we don't realise in the real world they are just struggling along, living similar lives to us away from the pitch and a lot of them earn a similar amount(if not less) than most fans in the stands whilst also having a much shorter career than we can hope for. Good on players like Mullen etc for going for that big payday, it's a short career and should milk everything out of it whilst they can!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 241
louth_in_the_south
September 9, 2022, 10:53pm

Exile
I’m pretty sure at 4K a week for a few years he’s going to earn considerably more than most fans can wish for . I don’t begrudge him as we’d all do the same but don’t feel sorry for him cos he didn’t when he dived for a pen and then punched one in as it would probably have netted him a fat promotion bonus at our expense. He’s really no better than anyone we’ve got , just got a good agent.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 241
ginnywings
September 9, 2022, 11:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I’m pretty sure at 4K a week for a few years he’s going to earn considerably more than most fans can wish for . I don’t begrudge him as we’d all do the same but don’t feel sorry for him cos he didn’t when he dived for a pen and then punched one in as it would probably have netted him a fat promotion bonus at our expense. He’s really no better than anyone we’ve got , just got a good agent.

He's scored 71 goals in 2 and a bit seasons.

I'd say he's pretty good at what he does.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 241
louth_in_the_south
September 10, 2022, 8:36am

Exile
Quoted from ginnywings

He's scored 71 goals in 2 and a bit seasons.

I'd say he's pretty good at what he does.

You have just perfectly illustrated the importance of fact checking before spouting some bo.llocks on a public forum after a few too many drinks Ginny !!

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 241
ginnywings
September 10, 2022, 8:53am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

You have just perfectly illustrated the importance of fact checking before spouting some bo.llocks on a public forum after a few too many drinks Ginny !!

I did check his stats, but not in response to your post. I did it earlier when he was mentioned to be on 4 grand a week. Still not sure he's worth that as a non league striker, but it's like houses in that they are worth what someone is prepared pay.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 241
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
September 10, 2022, 8:58am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from ginnywings

but it's like houses in that they are worth what someone is prepared pay.

It’s still on the market by the way. £1.2m.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 241
ginnywings
September 10, 2022, 9:01am

Recovering Alcoholic

I've had a look, but the cost of demolition and removal makes it financially unviable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 241
aldi_01
September 10, 2022, 9:21am

Barley Wine Drinker

It’s only worth a million, you’d need the other 200k to change it from Hyacinth’s house and make it look relatively modern and cool…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 241
HatTrickHero
September 10, 2022, 9:28am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 26
Does it come with a Snooker table?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 241
pontoonlew
September 10, 2022, 11:43am
Vodka Drinker
The documentary has done what it’s set out to do, it’s to drum up support for Wrexham purely and simply. It’s hard to watch and not want them to achieve something, although I regularly burst out with an excited laugh every time they mention going up, knowing exactly what’s coming.

I feel like they’re going to gloss over a lot of day to day training ground/match day stuff though which really fascinates me (I love the All or Nothing series for exactly this reason). Hope that picks up a little bit bit an interesting watch all the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 241
livosnose
September 11, 2022, 1:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 16
Overall think the show is quite poor. Looks
Ike it’s been edited by a BTEC media studies student with a hangover.

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 241
exiledmeggie
September 11, 2022, 1:50pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -208
Gold Stars: 20
Can someone remind me how it ends?

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 241
aldi_01
September 11, 2022, 2:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
To be honest, I’ve really enjoyed the All or Nothing series’ on Amazon prime and was looking forward to this, mainly to see clubs that aren’t at the top of the tree but I’ve found it hard to watch.

I like the fact they’ve touched on players lives and the importance of the club to fans but the whole thing feels like it’s Alan Partridge/The Office instead of a serious documentary.

I know it’s been designed to try and capture some American fans but it’s been really hard to watch, I’m sure others disagree but I’ve not enjoyed it and will just wait for the final episode…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 241
Mayaman
September 11, 2022, 2:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from exiledmeggie
Can someone remind me how it ends?

Gloriously!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 241
RichMariner
September 11, 2022, 10:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,192
Gold Stars: 216
I've enjoyed it, broadly.

Once you get your head around the fact that it's made by Americans for an American audience, and some of it is over-simplified (or even dumbed down) I can forgive the little bits and pieces that would otherwise irk me.

It's got a good soul. What I do detect is genuine sincerity from Rob McElhenney — he seems a passionate guy, someone who wants best for the club and its community.

Clearly, both he and Ryan Reynolds are massively limited by their understanding of English football, but they just want something to get behind. We've all done it — watched an FA Cup game and got behind the underdogs, and sometimes cheered as if it were Grimsby scoring an injury time winner!

A lot of the fan stories are heart-warming and it paints Wrexham (the town) in a fairly realistic manner. Shows how dependent the town and its people are on the club.

Yes, I'm also very interested in how they'll tell the story of what we all know is yet to come! But after the way their fans donated to our play-off final ticket crowdfunder, and seeing that RM & RR appear to mean well (even if they're kinda throwing money at it) I have found myself kind of wanting them to get promoted.

For the fans.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 89 - 241
marinerjase
September 11, 2022, 10:29pm
Champagne Drinker
I’d enjoyed it more than the All or Nothing things..that Arsenal one in particular was boring. Arteta team talk before game, clip of goal, Arteta shout at end or little speech, and repeat. No behind the scenes stuff or anything.

At least the Wrexham one links club and community/fans etc.

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 241
headingly_mariner
September 15, 2022, 10:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,408
Gold Stars: 124
I've quite enjoyed it. But hasn't it confirmed that Phil Parkinson is an even bigger girl private than we all thought?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 241
Mariner93er
September 16, 2022, 10:49am
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
It's been an easy watch but had to skip the 7th episode, that was unbearable.

I still can't get why Ryan Reynolds is doing it though. Rob I think is a genuine sports fan and I can kind of understand, by Reynolds doesn't make sense.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 241
Poojah
September 16, 2022, 11:42am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mariner93er
It's been an easy watch but had to skip the 7th episode, that was unbearable.

I still can't get why Ryan Reynolds is doing it though. Rob I think is a genuine sports fan and I can kind of understand, by Reynolds doesn't make sense.

It’s certainly a decent watch, slowly building up to its inevitable crescendo, but episode was indeed an absolute waste of time. If you haven’t got that far yet, skip it - it will save you 30 minutes of your life.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 241
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
September 16, 2022, 11:46am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,482
Quoted from Poojah

It’s certainly a decent watch, slowly building up to its inevitable crescendo, but episode was indeed an absolute waste of time. If you haven’t got that far yet, skip it - it will save you 30 minutes of your life.

That’s intriguing. What was the 7th episode about, was it Ollie Palmer explaining how to pull off a bottle top with his teeth?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 241
ManBurning
September 16, 2022, 1:45pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +6
I don’t understand what Ryan is doing it for either, he seems to be playing a role the whole time. Except at the Maidenhead match when he doesn’t seem sure what he’s supposed to do.

The whole thing is a real mess, not sure what it is. Set up conversations with locals one episode, dreadful US sports show parody the next, followed by some actual match & dressing room footage on the one after than. The continuity errors are jarring too.

Still, like a National League season, you’ve got to ride out the lows for the big payoff at the end  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 241
OddShapedBalls
September 16, 2022, 2:40pm
Table Wine Drinker

That’s intriguing. What was the 7th episode about, was it Ollie Palmer explaining how to pull off a bottle top with his teeth?

It's a frankly stilted, ham-fisted and borderline offensive 30 minutes of trying to explain that Wales is a different country to England for the American Audience the program is aimed at.  Presumably this was a shock to Rob and Ryan when they bought the club and knew the target audience would be similarly perplexed.  They manage to boil Wales down into 2 parts, 'Wrexham' and 'South Wales', claim yma o'hyd is a football song, and although she sings beautifully a Cardiff born Charlotte Church is an odd choice for a program about Wrexham.

I really like bits of the series, and I try to bear in mind that I am not the target audience for it.  I reckon with the behind the scenes access and footage they have there could be a frankly amazing series created if we were the target audience but then it wouldn't sell as well internationally.  It is what it is and hopefully episodes 10-11 give some good air time and reporting of Town, would be interesting to see the google statistics for maidenhead after episode 8 aired for example and I would imagine the club website will get a lot of hits after the season finale.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 241
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
September 16, 2022, 4:43pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,482
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

It's a frankly stilted, ham-fisted and borderline offensive 30 minutes of trying to explain that Wales is a different country to England for the American Audience the program is aimed at.  Presumably this was a shock to Rob and Ryan when they bought the club and knew the target audience would be similarly perplexed.  They manage to boil Wales down into 2 parts, 'Wrexham' and 'South Wales', claim yma o'hyd is a football song, and although she sings beautifully a Cardiff born Charlotte Church is an odd choice for a program about Wrexham.

I really like bits of the series, and I try to bear in mind that I am not the target audience for it.  I reckon with the behind the scenes access and footage they have there could be a frankly amazing series created if we were the target audience but then it wouldn't sell as well internationally.  It is what it is and hopefully episodes 10-11 give some good air time and reporting of Town, would be interesting to see the google statistics for maidenhead after episode 8 aired for example and I would imagine the club website will get a lot of hits after the season finale.

Ah right thanks, sounds abysmal, will skip getting a free trial until the last episode or two are out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 241
kevikov
September 16, 2022, 9:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +854
Gold Stars: 13
Rob pretty much states early on that he wanted to buy the club but needed “movie” money. Getting Ryan on board meant millions of twitter and instagram followers and so mega awareness and social media coverage. Which then ensured Disney series. I think it’s more of a jaunt for Ryan although he can afford to spunk a few million on it before he gets bored. Big question for me will be if either one or both of them actually develop a bond for the club. I haven’t seen much evidence of it yet.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 241
Lost in Lincoln
September 17, 2022, 9:21am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
As others have said, I think it's a good 'idea', but executed abysmally...

It doesn't know what it wants to be, it's a complete mish mash of random footage, awful 'documentary' set pieces and the owners look like they haven't a clue why they're on screen.

Having said all that, like a car crash on the M62, you can't help but have a look, maybe because we all know how it ends

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 99 - 241
Madeleymariner
September 17, 2022, 10:21am

Vodka Drinker
Thought E7 was great fun, took the p out of themselves/American tv and Wales, whats not to like.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 241
wigworld
September 17, 2022, 10:42am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Thought E7 was great fun, took the p out of themselves/American tv and Wales, whats not to like.

I thought the same. Doesn't really fit in with the rest of the series I thought, but made me laugh a bit.
Overall, I'm really enjoying the series.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 101 - 241
livosnose
September 17, 2022, 12:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,191
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I've quite enjoyed it. But hasn't it confirmed that Phil Parkinson is an even bigger girl private than we all thought?

If you listen to the podcast under the cosh , his name comes up a lot. Complete girl private of a man manager by all accounts

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 241
aldi_01
September 17, 2022, 12:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
There’s probably a reason parkinson is managing down there and let’s face it, as good as they were, when it mattered they didn’t have what was needed…mainly because of his tactics.

As I’ve said, I’ve found it hard to watch so gave up and I’ll just wait for the last episode.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 241
pontoonlew
September 17, 2022, 12:32pm
Vodka Drinker
The lack of continuity is really doing my head in, wrong clips from games and random clips just lobbed in there.

We’re 8 in and there’s 18 (!!) in total, I’ve no idea what direction it’s going in but I do know the destination, and that’s what’ll keep me watching.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 241
aldi_01
September 17, 2022, 1:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew
The lack of continuity is really doing my head in, wrong clips from games and random clips just lobbed in there.

We’re 8 in and there’s 18 (!!) in total, I’ve no idea what direction it’s going in but I do know the destination, and that’s what’ll keep me watching.

In truth, as a show it’s flipping awful. I know Americans don’t live like 25 episodes in a series but it just seems like a woefully thought out plan. It could’ve been really good and the premise is great but it’s flipping woeful, almost amateur at times.

I’m beginning to think the whole thing has become a TV show, people brought in are characters and there’s some real folk in there too.

Very very strange…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 241
Lost in Lincoln
September 17, 2022, 1:14pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
It does make you wonder, what came first; the takeover or the TV show...

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 106 - 241
Maringer
September 17, 2022, 1:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Interesting to show the guy in the bar questioning Parkinson's tactics just 9 games into the season, noting that they want to see good football.

Oh, and Mullin again mentioned that he's not there for the money. I wonder if anyone at all believes him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 241
Lost in Lincoln
September 17, 2022, 1:23pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Interesting to show the guy in the bar questioning Parkinson's tactics just 9 games into the season, noting that they want to see good football.

Oh, and Mullin again mentioned that he's not there for the money. I wonder if anyone at all believes him?

But he featured in a piece with his kid, who wouldn't after that? 😂

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 108 - 241
Yoda
September 19, 2022, 6:51am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,190
Gold Stars: 73
Just enjoy it don’t analyse it to much it give global coverage to lower league football better than watching another PL team again.
Plus the Wrexham fans seem a good bunch i hope they go up with Notts County
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 241
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 19, 2022, 8:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,099
Gold Stars: 196
The painter/decorator has been the best bloke in it so far. Honest, down to earth, just sums up proper football fans at every level.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 241
Poojah
September 29, 2022, 8:34pm
Vodka Drinker
I’ve generally enjoyed this, but episode 10 is well off the mark. A very odd take on football violence with lots of stock footage that look to be from various international tournaments spanning about 30 years.

Not sure what the agenda is but it’s a very weird perspective on football in the National League.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 241
September 29, 2022, 8:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Not sure what the agenda is but it’s a very weird perspective on football in the National League.

Not as weird as Scunthorpe’s current perspective of the National League.

Craning their necks like being at the rim end of a 69.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 241
TheRealJohnLewis
September 29, 2022, 9:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
I think they nailed it and got it spot on.

Hooligan's are the cancer of football.
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 241
Poojah
September 29, 2022, 9:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
I think they nailed it and got it spot on.

Hooligan's are the cancer of football.

You thought that was an accurate representation of lower league football?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 241
TheRealJohnLewis
September 29, 2022, 9:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I thought it was an accurate representation of football in general. Obviously, it's a bit of a stretch to link Heysel and conference idiots.

Private Message
Reply: 115 - 241
marinerjase
September 29, 2022, 9:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Well that wanna be detective should be giving him the boot. That’s what I reckon.

Anyway..I enjoyed this series initially but it’s gone a bit weird since..episode 7 as an example. Seems Parkinson escaped the boot, and 2.3 mill wage budget..jeez.

Not long to go now til the fantastic finale.

It appears the documentary has carried on for a series 2 this season, saw today that Wrexham fans had been having ‘fan cams’ this season. Think I’ll give series 2 a miss.

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 241
Rodley Mariner
September 29, 2022, 9:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
That episode didn't sit comfortably with me. Miscellaneous footage spliced in, very simplistic takes on it all, some pretty offensive stuff about Heysel and then praise of Thatcher's approach with no mention of direct links to Hillsborough. I thought there was some really patronising shite about enabling the poor simpletons of Wrexham to improve their lot as well. First time I've thought that as a Wrexham fan I'd be pretty drunk off about it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 241
ska face
September 29, 2022, 10:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
I’ve generally enjoyed this, but episode 10 is well off the mark. A very odd take on football violence with lots of stock footage that look to be from various international tournaments spanning about 30 years.

Think that one was most obviously pitched at an American audience. There’s a weird interest in the issue from some quarters over there, you can see it in how popular that absolute pap Green Street film is with Americans. Attaching the issue to that couple to try and -humanise it didn’t really work, and the rest was all weird mish-mash of stock footage, police body-cam videos of people stood around and the view of an academic from the early 80s.

Very odd, waste of 25 mins that could’ve been better spent discussing Tozer who hasn’t appeared in the thing once yet, or some more Brent-style interjections from that Eton toff.
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 241
OddShapedBalls
September 30, 2022, 8:54am
Table Wine Drinker
'He's such an idiot', 'I couldn't get my dream job because I'm with him', 'I can't trust what he's up to'......well, you chose him!  If he's such a millstone round your neck get rid.

I also thought that episode was pretty patronising to the people of Wrexham, but as a wider view they had to condense the entire topic of football violence into 25 minutes and present it in to an audience that doesn't know anything about it outside of watching green street 20 years ago.  

I actually thought the sack the gaffer episode was quite decent, no dressing it up that the position is under threat and showing the deliberations of whether to stick or twist etc, one of the more realistic episodes that shows the behind the scenes stuff we all want to see.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 241
Poojah
September 30, 2022, 9:06am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from OddShapedBalls
'He's such an idiot', 'I couldn't get my dream job because I'm with him', 'I can't trust what he's up to'......well, you chose him!  If he's such a millstone round your neck get rid.

I also thought that episode was pretty patronising to the people of Wrexham, but as a wider view they had to condense the entire topic of football violence into 25 minutes and present it in to an audience that doesn't know anything about it outside of watching green street 20 years ago.  

I actually thought the sack the gaffer episode was quite decent, no dressing it up that the position is under threat and showing the deliberations of whether to stick or twist etc, one of the more realistic episodes that shows the behind the scenes stuff we all want to see.

That one was better, but my main takeaway from that was that for a bloke who has been involved at a good level of football for the last 35 years, Phil Parkinson lives in the house of a divorced man (a divorce that didn’t go well for him, either).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 241
mirrorballman
September 30, 2022, 9:10am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +552
Quoted from Poojah

To us who are more acquainted with it, probably not. However, think they were trying to give the context to a wider audience.
Even then, it was difficult to understand Wrexham fans beating up a fellow fan at the train station and the bottles lobbed at the Torquay fans. I was impressed that they were prepared to show this, it was warts and all. Also, the sombre tone meant it was the longest Ryan R has gone without one of his sideways quips as well. Win-win 🙂.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 241
pontoonlew
September 30, 2022, 9:57am
Vodka Drinker
I think if you remind yourselves that it’s not really aimed at saddos like us lot who watch this level every week then it’s a pretty decent documentary. Odd in places no doubt, but it’s interesting enough on the whole.

I just really hope they give us the dramatic episode we so very deserve.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 241
oochiad
September 30, 2022, 12:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Regarding ‘our’ episode I fear they will go with Parkinson’s narrative that they were beaten by awful officiating. Of course over looking that their first goal was never a penalty and their third goal was handball from Mullin………
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 241
ska face
September 30, 2022, 1:14pm

Vodka Drinker
They can go with whatever narrative they like. Just watched the highlights again, VERY satisfying, can’t wait to see slaphead Harvey drink it in.
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 241
PDXMariner
September 30, 2022, 3:24pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +36
I'm enjoying it (mostly), but like the rest, dying to see the end episode.

I fdo ind it fascinating that 2 people who own the club, and very much direct the narrative of the show, would allow some of the comments to be included in it.
The 2 examples I'm thinking of are the lads mocking Mullin, and complaining about his salary, and the 2 bosses joking about getting t-shirts made up saying 'sack Parky' while showing them basically flipping a coin to see if he stays or goes in last years season.
Not sure how I'd feel if I was the subject of either of those incidents, and they're the guys they were basing their season on, and still are.. Maybe they're OK with being talked about in that way, but interesting to me.
Other thing I'd like to know a bit more about is their CEO lady. There was something about her declining to be involved, and there's not much positive being said about her in Wrexham from my understanding. It'll be a very interesting end of season if they don't get promoted with the amount obviously being spent.

Oh and 1 last question. Rob watching the game with his mates in the pub in the US. How did he get that to happen?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 241
BenBB
September 30, 2022, 5:18pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +842
Gold Stars: 30
Talking of Wrexham, Scunny's home game against them has been selected for BT Sports

[tweet]1575787647380951044[/tweet]

Might put it on the other screen whilst watching the town game.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 126 - 241
Madeleymariner
October 1, 2022, 5:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Wrexham win with a penalty at Oldham in Parky time, its like a non league Manure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 241
RonMariner
October 1, 2022, 6:29pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.43
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,914
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Wrexham win with a penalty at Oldham in Parky time, its like a non league Manure

Whenever I see that Mullen has scored a penalty I can't help but wonder if it was a genuine penalty or not.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 241
DB
October 1, 2022, 7:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.34
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,069
Gold Stars: 391

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 241
TheRealJohnLewis
October 1, 2022, 8:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
The hooligan episode was definitely over-exaggerated for conference football wasn't it?!?

Cue the hooligan/casuals apologists...
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 241
aldi_01
October 1, 2022, 9:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
The hooligan episode was definitely over-exaggerated for conference football wasn't it?!?

Cue the hooligan/casuals apologists...

I can’t comment but I’d imagine it was as over egged as that shoddy report written last year or any other nonsense we’ve seen over the years, that doesn’t make one an apologist though.

To be fair, I’ve given up watching, I couldn’t cope with it.

However, Oldham and Wrexham had a good tear up today so May be it was a good representation…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 241
lukeo
October 2, 2022, 4:35am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.06
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,419
Gold Stars: 149
I couldn't care less about the series, aslong as they stay top and get promoted I'll be happy (I have them in my bet)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 241
Mayaman
October 2, 2022, 1:53pm
Brandy Drinker

That would have been a better episode.  A load of drivel , which was supposed to be funny, about Wales.

I wish there was more about the games and the opposition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 241
marinerjase
October 2, 2022, 2:06pm
Champagne Drinker
I’d imagine we’ll feature in the next episode, given Jan transfer window, Palmer signing and scoring against us.

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 241
Mayaman
October 2, 2022, 2:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

Whenever I see that Mullen has scored a penalty I can't help but wonder if it was a genuine penalty or not.......

I don't think it was.  The defender already hit the ball and his leg is still up.  What's he supposed to do?  Wrexham player runs into him head down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HL30wZWYLg

The shop scored a brace
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 241
Lost in Lincoln
October 3, 2022, 10:20pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from DB

Wouldn't have made the news if Wrexham weren't so high profile.

Happened 4 miles from the ground, so was clearly organised.  Let them kick excrement out of each other, and let the proper fans get to the game without issues.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 136 - 241
toontown
October 4, 2022, 7:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,267
Gold Stars: 70
Watching this and I've really enjoyed it up to ep 7 if, like has been mentioned, you realise it's aimed essentially at a US / Canadian audience. Not a great deal of behind the scenes stuff going on and the fact the chief exec Fleur didnt want to be featured probably meant that was going to be more difficult to do. I've found Ryan and his friend to be likeable and it does seem like they're in it for the right reasons. It obviously helps that i know they ultimately didn't prevent us being promoted though it seems like the ratings have been good. Their was rumours that Wrexham would be paid 100k an episode but surely not that's 1.8 million, be interesting to see how much it was.

I saw somewhere that the club shop merchandise sales forbthe year had gone from 60k to 360k last year. With sponsorship from aviator gin and tik tok and record season ticket sales etc I would think a lot of the 'project' pays for itself at the minute.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 241
aldi_01
October 4, 2022, 7:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
I’ve stopped watching, personal choice but just couldn’t deal with it.

I don’t have anything against deadpool and his mate, and to be fair, at least Wrexham are a proper club, not a Salford, Stevenage, Fleetwood etc.

I’m still curious to know what is genuinely in it for them and it’s hard to sympathise or care about a team that employed Shaun Harvey.

I like the fact Waterfall essentially cost them 1.1m or whatever because they didn’t go up but I caught some of the episode which focussed Mullins and I can’t help think that things like that, coupled with having Parkinson as your manager potential unsettle things and can create internal issues which affect players etc.

I’d much rather play Wrexham this year than Stevenage or Crawley but football isn’t that simple. I do wonder what happened if they don’t go up, I think they will, but the conference is a funny beast. Christ, 6 weeks before we romped to 3 monumental away wins you’d have never thought we’d go up…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 241
ska face
October 5, 2022, 1:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 241
Limerick Mariner
October 5, 2022, 1:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,789
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Lost in Lincoln

Wouldn't have made the news if Wrexham weren't so high profile.

Happened 4 miles from the ground, so was clearly organised.  Let them kick excrement out of each other, and let the proper fans get to the game without issues.

Quite - reminded me of some footage from a Lincoln v Town game - wet-paper-bag comes to mind in both instances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 241
OddShapedBalls
October 5, 2022, 3:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face

The flight back will feel longer than 7 hours after he's been subjected to watching a scrappy 0-1 defeat
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 241
Mariner16
October 6, 2022, 3:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +476
The league seasons done on the ones out today, so we're up next!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 241
Poojah
October 6, 2022, 9:23pm
Vodka Drinker
So Wrexham inadvertently slip their January transfer hit list into episode 13. Just adds to the irony of what happened that fateful day back in May.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/VNtkrmS6/FB-IMG-1665052696818.jpg[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 241
pontoonlew
October 6, 2022, 9:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
So Wrexham inadvertently slip their January transfer hit list into episode 13. Just adds to the irony of what happened that fateful day back in May.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/VNtkrmS6/FB-IMG-1665052696818.jpg[/img]

The fact James Forrest is on there just goes to show how flipping mental their budget is (or how mental they are)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 241
The_Laughing_Mariner
October 7, 2022, 5:32am
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,047
Gold Stars: 10
Is that macatee on the list?

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 241
aldi_01
October 7, 2022, 6:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
I’m all for ambition but I’d argue that list emphasises just how much cash they’re throwing around but also a level of arrogance that is weird for a conference club that have been there for 15 years.

Seriously, what happens when they don’t go up this year and they’ve spubked huge amounts of cash? What next? They’ve tried every which way…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 241
Mariner93er
October 7, 2022, 7:28am
Cocktail Drinker
I had to do a double take then at James Forrest. Theres ambition and then there's being out of touch with reality
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 241
OddShapedBalls
October 7, 2022, 8:59am
Table Wine Drinker
If the fact that they've brought in 2 players from 2 leagues above already wasn't a clue as to how much they are spunking on a promotion dream in the series, the budget discussion in sack the gaffer is enlightening.  iirc 'we set a budget for the year Rob, it's only December and we've already blown the back doors off that budget but the manager wants to spend even more'.....cue them paying a £300k fee for a new striker.  At what point do they cut their cloth?  Or will the disney money - and presumably a second series- sustain them for a couple more years?

Also clearly setting us up as the bad guys in episode 12, where there's about 5 minutes of gratuitous slow motion footage cut to show town players knocking 10 bells out the wrexham players.  On that basis, I can guarantee they won't show the hand ball goal or non-penalty.  Still, can't wait for the ending
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 241
HatTrickHero
October 7, 2022, 9:18am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 26
That list looks like my 'Things to buy when I'm rich' Amazon wishlist
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 241
aldi_01
October 7, 2022, 9:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
They can try and dress the ending however they want but it’s football and anyone that saw it saw a manager who was tactically inept throw his toys out the pram whilst a budget side scored 5 against them on their own patch.

Disney money or not, at some point, what they’re doing will come under scrutiny and they’re not entirely convincing this season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 241
Mariner_09
October 7, 2022, 9:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from aldi_01
They can try and dress the ending however they want but it’s football and anyone that saw it saw a manager who was tactically inept throw his toys out the pram whilst a budget side scored 5 against them on their own patch.

Disney money or not, at some point, what they’re doing will come under scrutiny and they’re not entirely convincing this season.

Pretty sad indictment of them that isn’t it? I bet their budget was 3-4x bigger than ours, given the money they threw at it. We also deserved to win that day, we were the only side who tried to play football, we had numerous chances to make it 3-1 before they equalised and then Mullen cheated. They were kept in by an inept referee, cheating and our inability to defend set pieces that day. Think they’ll get up this season, although Langstaff is having the sort of season that could propel Notts County to the title and then they’re in the lottery of the playoffs again.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 241
aldi_01
October 7, 2022, 10:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09

Pretty sad indictment of them that isn’t it? I bet their budget was 3-4x bigger than ours, given the money they threw at it. We also deserved to win that day, we were the only side who tried to play football, we had numerous chances to make it 3-1 before they equalised and then Mullen cheated. They were kept in by an inept referee, cheating and our inability to defend set pieces that day. Think they’ll get up this season, although Langstaff is having the sort of season that could propel Notts County to the title and then they’re in the lottery of the playoffs again.

I don’t really have anything against Wrexham necessarily and would rather be playing them this weekend than say crawley or Stevenage but it’s hard to have any sympathy with anyone when they’ve been so blasé and arrogant about what they’ve spent.

I don’t care about the sustainability of other clubs, only my own and I know sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate etc but they are spending eye watering amounts and where other teams have done that and gone up at the first/second time of asking, I’m still not convinced Wrexham will go up this year.

Then what? They were beaten by the better side in the playoffs and that’s not a bias view point, I’ve spoken to many a fan who say the same. Parkinson isn’t what they need but they seem to be sticking by him. County have had a great start but so did we, the conference is tight and it’s hard to stay top all year.

The playoffs are a funny beast in any league but in the conference you really can’t have a bad game. You can’t afford a slip up, as they found out.

I still don’t know what the end game is or why, do I care? Not really but it’s a good discussion. I don’t begrudge them thr show, I stopped watching because I couldn’t get on with it but I guess it’s good to see that level being promoted.

Time will tell if the Hollywood dream will ever come…one thing I know is that I’ll always have that memory of seeing Waterfall bury that header…and every time I open my garage I see my seat, well, the broken part of it…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 241
Poojah
October 7, 2022, 10:09am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09

I find it amusing that, for all Wrexham’s obscene spending on over the odds wages and transfer fees from players from League One, Town still had the best player on the pitch on the day. A player they could have picked up for next to fúck all the previous summer, just as we did.

In case anyone needs a reminder…

https://mobile.twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/1530517825965768704

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 241
OddShapedBalls
October 7, 2022, 11:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

The mad thing is, the warning signs were there for them before the playoffs and they still don't seem to have changed that. I'd forgotten all about them letting Dover score 5 at the racecourse at the end of the season, and then when the pressure was on and they had to beat Dagenham away in the last game they bottled it and lost 3-0......then celebrated that failure with the fans after.  I can see them doing well until the end of the season and then falling short again.

When the cameras show the players who aren't nailed on starters it does seem like a fractured dressing room which could be another issue aside from the manager- the green lad was outright slating the manager in the last episode and like the Mullin debate early on in the series I was surprised it was allowed into the show so fair play to Rob and Ryan for not always sugar coating things.  Same as the physio being pee'd off about the team doing tik toks instead of concentrating on the game ahead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 241
Les Brechin
October 7, 2022, 11:46am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
I don't subscribe to Disney. Is there anyway that I can get to watch this without having to subscribe, or if not can I subscribe just for 1 month and then cancel it.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 241
Poojah
October 7, 2022, 12:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin
I don't subscribe to Disney. Is there anyway that I can get to watch this without having to subscribe, or if not can I subscribe just for 1 month and then cancel it.

I’m sure there will be some ‘creative’ ways of watching it without having to pay, but a Disney+ subscription costs £7.99 a month and you can cancel any time.

I’d say the final episode will be worth £8 alone.

https://www.disneyplus.com/en-gb

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 241
ska face
October 7, 2022, 12:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Hadn’t realised/cared at the time but watching last night made me appreciate how lucky we got at the back end of last season. Wrexham lost their first choice keeper and one of their first choice centre halves just before the final few games - I think if they’re playing it’s unlikely we score 4 headers. Then you look at us having McAtee and essentially a new Ben Fox coming back into a squad without any major injuries. Efete was out but that worked in our favour, Scannell too but he hadn’t really contributed much.

Notts should’ve had a second pen straight after their first when Smith hand balled a shot exactly the same as Cropper had. Holohan’s shot hit a defender on the line and ricocheted in rather than out - if he’s 3/4 inches to the right that gets blocked. Manny was offside for the second and probably should’ve been flagged.

Fine, fine margins.
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 241
Les Brechin
October 7, 2022, 12:16pm

Quoted from Poojah

I’m sure there will be some ‘creative’ ways of watching it without having to pay, but a Disney+ subscription costs £7.99 a month and you can cancel any time.

I’d say the final episode will be worth £8 alone.

https://www.disneyplus.com/en-gb

That's what I thought. In that case I might just subscribe for a month and then cancel.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 241
Hagrid
October 7, 2022, 12:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,527
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from Les Brechin

That's what I thought. In that case I might just subscribe for a month and then cancel.

sure you can get a 7 free trial
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 241
Poojah
October 7, 2022, 12:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Hadn’t realised/cared at the time but watching last night made me appreciate how lucky we got at the back end of last season. Wrexham lost their first choice keeper and one of their first choice centre halves just before the final few games - I think if they’re playing it’s unlikely we score 4 headers. Then you look at us having McAtee and essentially a new Ben Fox coming back into a squad without any major injuries. Efete was out but that worked in our favour, Scannell too but he hadn’t really contributed much.

Notts should’ve had a second pen straight after their first when Smith hand balled a shot exactly the same as Cropper had. Holohan’s shot hit a defender on the line and ricocheted in rather than out - if he’s 3/4 inches to the right that gets blocked. Manny was offside for the second and probably should’ve been flagged.

Fine, fine margins.

It’s what makes it all the more remarkable for me.

You can keep reeling them off too; Callum Roberts, Notts County’s answer to John McAtee, going off injured in the first half because he’d been given too much painkiller and couldn’t feel his foot, the County defender’s bizarre decision to push Clifton in the back, leading to the free-kick we got our equaliser from, all the way through to our kryptonite Hudlin going off in the final.

It felt like absolutely everything that happened, even the things that felt like huge setbacks at the time, worked in our favour. As if all of the bad luck we’ve suffered over the years was suddenly repaid in one, huge lump sum.

I struggle to comprehend it really. Just so many things that would have been remarkable enough in isolation, all seemingly coming together in unison. Things that, if any one of them hadn’t happened, could have brought the whole thing down like a house of cards. The footballing equivalent of winning the lottery. The odds are off the scale.

Some of the best fúcking memories of my life without a shadow of a doubt.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 241
Les Brechin
October 7, 2022, 12:49pm

Quoted from Hagrid

sure you can get a 7 free trial

I've had a look on their site and I can't see that you can get a free trial.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 241
Corkyefes
October 7, 2022, 1:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -137
I would wait until all episodes are available Les.
They are bringing out roughly 1/2 week and with about 6-8 left, it could take you into two months of subscription.
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 241
mariner83
October 7, 2022, 1:59pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
If anyone's with o2 [url=https://www.o2.co.uk/extras/disney-plus]https://www.o2.co.uk/extras/disney-plus[/url]

looks like there might be a way with clubcard vouchers too
[url=https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1553972/disney-plus-free-trial]https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1553972/disney-plus-free-trial[/url]
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 163 - 241
Mayaman
October 8, 2022, 2:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Dare I say bitorrent Pirate bay
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 241
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 8, 2022, 5:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
After their result today, they’ll have to make a documentary just for that game!

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 241
exiledmeggie
October 8, 2022, 5:08pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -208
Has it got to the interesting game yet?

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 241
Poojah
October 12, 2022, 7:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from exiledmeggie
Has it got to the interesting game yet?

Episode 18, Do or Die, featuring your very own Grimsby Town, airs tomorrow. However they skin the story, it’s going to make glorious viewing.

“Taylor. Can Grimsby hit back quickly here? Clifton. McAtee. He’s had that early goal disallowed. Fox had made the run beyond him…MCATEE!! Great goal! Oh, that’s specia!”  

“Cropper. Does get great distance on it..AS EXPECTED!! THEY’VE DONE IT!!…LUKE WATERFALL!!..REMARKABLE!”.

I’ve watched it back so many times I know the words off by heart.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 241
Gaffer58
October 12, 2022, 8:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,103
Gold Stars: 33
Sorry about asking, but without reading the whole history, what channel is it on, just been waiting for the special episode.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 241
Poojah
October 12, 2022, 8:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58
Sorry about asking, but without reading the whole history, what channel is it on, just been waiting for the special episode.

It’s on Disney’s subscription service Disney+. You can get it on most Smart TVs or though a Sky Box (£7.99 a month, but you can cancel immediately if you wish).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 241
Wiley2405
October 13, 2022, 6:11am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +663
Last episode aired tonight, let’s see how this goes  

Oh and there’s a season 2 for this season  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 241
aldi_01
October 13, 2022, 7:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Not up on Disney+ yet, or if it is, I can’t find it…only goes up to episode 15 on mine…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 241
aldi_01
October 13, 2022, 8:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
Ignore that…they’re up now…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 241
Jarmo.Is.God
October 13, 2022, 8:23am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
If you've not watched, i recommend it for sure.
It seems to be aimed at the American audience, but sort of adds to the humour in a way.
Reynolds & McElhenney actually come across very well to be fair, just messed up adding Harvey into the picture.

You get to know a few locals, which is why i like it. They are very similar to us in many ways, and the local fan base, especially the decorator guy, are a great watch.

The episode of the local lad Davies was a real eye opener.
I like him, hes a genuine guy, and a very good player.
What he goes through is awful, and to allow that to be aired, says a lot about him, and raises awareness.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 241
Chrisblor
October 13, 2022, 12:55pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,989
Gold Stars: 243
Really disappointed there's no extra angles of McAtee's first goal for us. They literally show it from the broadcast camera angle and then swiftly move on. Poor! On the other hand i'm glad they spend the first few minutes showing Rob and Ryan blowing smoke up Shaun Harvey's bottom and talking about how much both of them love him, makes it easy to feel absolutely zero sympathy towards them after Waterfall's winner goes in.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 241
aldi_01
October 13, 2022, 2:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I’ve been relatively ambivalent towards Wrexham and Reynolds etc but after hearing them blow smoke up Shaun Harvey’s bottom they can flipping ram it and I hope they spend many a year in non league…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 241
Bristol Mariner
October 13, 2022, 4:37pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Watched episode 18, what struck me was amount of times they were saying 'two games to go' before they'd played us. Arrogance personified

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 241
aldi_01
October 13, 2022, 4:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I don’t have an issue with fans being confident, that’s football, but to be honest, if you didn’t already know Parkinson was a helmet, after seeing his final part of the ‘team talk’ and his ending notes at half time you quickly realise…and then arrogance from the people involved with the club makes me hope they fail.

Can’t wait to find out how it ends, still got half the episode to watch…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 241
Les Brechin
October 13, 2022, 4:43pm

Is this episode worth paying the 1 months subscription for Disney then?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 241
Bristol Mariner
October 13, 2022, 4:48pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin
Is this episode worth paying the 1 months subscription for Disney then?

I'll send you my Disney login, you can buy me a pint 😀

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 241
Manchester Mariner
October 13, 2022, 4:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,827
Gold Stars: 41
Not watched any of the series but just watched the final episode on my lunch via the dodgy firestick. The one who isn't Deadpool is right, "you can't write it." Whilst I prefer to watch the BT Sport highlight package I'm glad we also got documented in a Disney series bunging up the works in the final act. I know loads of people from work and mates who have been watching it and talking about it so it's top for them to see Town at their best, even though the episode sort of skirts over some of our greatest goals of recent years and there's no mention of handball for that Wrexham goal, I think the Wrexham commentator even says it was 'smashed in' or something even though you can literally see it on the screen. Either way it gave me a great sense of pride once more to see again what happened that Saturday lunchtime in Wrexham.

It really is a great time to be a Town supporter, they should make a documentary about us.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 241
Les Brechin
October 13, 2022, 4:53pm

Quoted from Bristol Mariner

I'll send you my Disney login, you can buy me a pint 😀

You're on!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 241
Rodley Mariner
October 13, 2022, 5:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Worth a Disney subscription solely for the super slo-mo of Waterfall running onto that header.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 241
Bristol Mariner
October 13, 2022, 7:11pm

Fine Wine Drinker

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 241
jamesgtfc
October 13, 2022, 8:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,106
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Bristol Mariner

The issue I have with this though is that the sponsors aren't buying into Wrexham, it's the pull of the Hollywood Two. Remove them and they aren't bothered.

Eye-watering figures though that should carry them through to League One at the very least. Fans will always back a positive and ambitious plan. The increase in attendances is very similar to what we've experienced here.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 241
pontoonlew
October 13, 2022, 8:57pm
Vodka Drinker
I’ve watched it tonight and it does give you shivers watching it back. They’ve over engineered it though, they’ve taken the drama out of it by cutting away after every goal and Waterfalls goal does not get the Hollywood edit that it so very deserves.

I found myself nervous watching it, it’s well worth a watch and I completely get that the documentary isn’t about us.

A good documentary overall I thought, some terrible editing throughout but those two are really likeable, hiring Shaun Harvey is an absolute bollock dropped though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 241
scrumble
October 13, 2022, 9:39pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +986
Quoted from pontoonlew
I found myself nervous watching it, it’s well worth a watch and I completely get that the documentary isn’t about us.

Absolutely mental that we know the result, and we've all watched the goals a dozen times over, and yet it still gets you going. Unsurprisingly they didn't mention how soft their first penalty was, or the handball for their goal, but did make a point of the penalty they should have had but didn't get.

Overall I've enjoyed the series, all be it with my finger on the skip button on occassion. I think its done a good job of explaining to an American audience just what a football club means to towns like ours. Wrexham is almost a carbon copy of Grimsby, similar sized towns that lost their major industries, and football clubs that have had similar fortunes.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 241
Poojah
October 13, 2022, 10:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from scrumble

Absolutely mental that we know the result, and we've all watched the goals a dozen times over, and yet it still gets you going. Unsurprisingly they didn't mention how soft their first penalty was, or the handball for their goal, but did make a point of the penalty they should have had but didn't get.

Overall I've enjoyed the series, all be it with my finger on the skip button on occassion. I think its done a good job of explaining to an American audience just what a football club means to towns like ours. Wrexham is almost a carbon copy of Grimsby, similar sized towns that lost their major industries, and football clubs that have had similar fortunes.

We’ve actually had it quite a bit better than Wrexham this side of the millennium, which gives you some semblance of just how rough it’s been for them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 241
ska face
October 13, 2022, 10:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Fcking Magnolia Man couldn’t hack extra time! Must’ve felt worse watching it in the pub ffs. Hard not to feel a bit tight on the Wrexham fans, especially after their fundraising for the final, but what an absolute pair of helmets Shaun Harvey & Phil Parkinson are. Parkinson’s an arrogant ársehole who couldn’t get promoted with the biggest budget in the league & Harvey’s just an obsequious hanger-on.

You forget just how far above our normal level the team played for that playoff run, everyone seemed to find an extra 10% from somewhere and McAtee was unplayable in that semi.
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 241
aldi_01
October 13, 2022, 10:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
That bottle job watching extra time in the pub? Soft twit.

How parkinson still has a job is anyone’s guess, that point at half time, even the players know he’s full of excrement. Harvey is the ultimate parasite and the fact they can’t see it means I couldn’t give a flying intercourse and they deserve intercourse all.

It’s great the programme focussed on the community, at clubs like us and them that’s important but the editing makes it hard to watch. They missed a massive opportunity to demonstrate the juxtaposition often seen in football, but I guess that’s not what they were going for…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 241
TownSNAFU5
October 13, 2022, 10:36pm
Vodka Drinker
They could have made a documentary about McAtee on his own.  In the first half at Wrexham he scored a great goal, missed narrowly with another good shot and had another good shot and goal disallowed for offside.

They could call it the The Scarlet McAtee.  As he was not on the pitch for the winner in all 3 Playoff matches.  He had run himself into the ground getting us to each of the winning positions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 241
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
October 13, 2022, 10:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
just watched the last episode, not sold on going over the whole documentary based on it, completely lost the drama of the actual football with the cutaways, the Sunderland documentary was produced far better
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 241
Rodley Mariner
October 13, 2022, 11:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Really enjoyed it and people need to be realistic about what it is. It's not a review of the National League season or highlights of the games. I was pleased but surprised that they included the Stockwood interview at the start which highlighted that there is nothing special about Wrexham other than the way  GTFC are special to us, York City are special to their fans etc etc

I quite like them both although they're irritating at times but I do wonder how many seasons the programme has in it and how long it will sustain their attention. I can't see much interest in a 3rd series of 'this is the year we get out of the national league' so they really need to escape this year. And how long before Ryan Reynolds decides he'd rather be in Hawaii with his fit wife than in North Wales with Ollie Palmer for the sixth time in 9 months?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 241
LH
October 13, 2022, 11:21pm

Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,617
Gold Stars: 177
The mrs is away this weekend so I’m going to do the series over three days. Please stop with the spoilers about how it ends!
Private Message
Reply: 193 - 241
oochiad
October 13, 2022, 11:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from LH
The mrs is away this weekend so I’m going to do the series over three days. Please stop with the spoilers about how it ends!

Erm well it’s quite hard not to, we won they lost, I think you know that already!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 241
LH
October 13, 2022, 11:48pm

Quoted from oochiad

Erm well it’s quite hard not to, we won they lost, I think you know that already!

No flies on you are there?
Private Message
Reply: 195 - 241
Abdul19
October 14, 2022, 8:14am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,639
Gold Stars: 220
Really enjoyed it and people need to be realistic about what it is. It's not a review of the National League season or highlights of the games

I stopped watching after they didn't include Phil Parkinson's 10 minute chat about Wealdstone's double pivot.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 241
Caesar
October 14, 2022, 8:44am

Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
I must admit I had scepticism going in but all in all thought it was excellent. In particular the way they dealt with Jordan Davies losing his son which was so respectfully and well done. They kept the focus on what a football club means to people.

For the final episode i have to remember it is about Wrexham but was worried that they were going to portray us as villans and focus like Parkinson did on the ref. Not at all to be fair. Even did include a bit of background on us which I thought was fair. I think the big trick they missed was not featuring Wrexham fans donating to Town fans to get them to the final. That is still one of the most unbelievable gestures and would reinforce the importance of clubs to fans. Would also portray Wrexham fans positively.

Overall view on series:

Rob and Ryan - I like them they seem decent. Should sack Shaun Harvey!
Phil Parkinson - a twit
Wrexham fans - a familiar group of people with a mix of all types. Liked them before the takeover and nothing has changed in my mind, if anything have gone up in my estimation. Hope they go up this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 241
OddShapedBalls
October 14, 2022, 8:47am
Table Wine Drinker
I was expecting a hatchet job on us as the 'bad guys, and was amazed to find a positive piece about the club and even an interview with JS.  I had a slight shudder as to how that would have gone if it was JF still in charge at the time (flashbacks of his soccer am tour of the club video still plague me).

My brother is one of these digital marketing executive types and reckons we've had more free exposure worldwide on a wrexham documentary than we could buy with millions of pounds. Something about value for money for sponsors being measured on the amount of seconds you see the team/car/sponsors logo on TV....  I zoned out after a minute but that's the gist of it.

Thought it was odd that they didn't even mention the handball, even as a 'cheeky' or hand of god type thing, just glossed over it. And the non-penalty for their first goal didn't even touch Mullin.  

Parky showed just how much of a fornicator he is by rightly getting carded for his complaints about Davies not getting a penalty.  "how is that not a penalty!!!"....erm, because he's decided to do a strictly come dancing impression and jumped backwards into a defender of his own volition you prize onanist

I thought the cutting away after each goal was bizarre editing, killed the build up of emotion, but I can't complain overall.  I'll even forgive them for the rather insulting wales episode after giving us a star billing in the finale.

I wonder if they'll fix the stand that you can't go into in season 2, all those transfer fees they've paid out you'd think they could have sorted the broken stadium by now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 241
October 14, 2022, 8:56am
Guest User
I thought it was well done. Interesting to see the other side of that match. I sympathised with the lad who had to leave the game, I did the same (well, left the house).

Couple of things, they didn’t try to hide Mullin’s hand ball which gets more abc more outrageous with each time I see it. Second, you could see Phil Parkinson was at the end of his tether in the extra time half time talk. He had nothing left. Would have loved to be a mole on the wall (c) Kevin Keegan in the Town dressing room at that moment.

Almost felt sorry for them. Almost. Then I read something yesterday about how many millions they get from social media and Disney now.

Still, not nailed on they’ll go up this year…
Reply: 199 - 241
Rodley Mariner
October 14, 2022, 9:29am
Special Brew Drinker
Interesting point about Parkinson. Wondered at the time what Hurst was saying and suspect it was something calmer and more helpful than 'flipping get flipping into them'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 200 - 241
pontoonlew
October 14, 2022, 10:23am
Vodka Drinker
I would be stunned to know that any of our players/staff said stuff like ‘2 more games’ or ‘put these to the sword’ etc, it seemed like the vast majority of their side thought they had it in the bag (both the Trophy Final and our game). Hurst can take great credit for that for creating a modest & deeply professional dressing room (apart from when Holohan got his member out after the final)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 201 - 241
Theimperialcoroner
October 14, 2022, 10:29am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,336
Gold Stars: 103
Worst thing about it was I kept seeing our kid in the crowd with his knock off Tacchini trackie top.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 202 - 241
ska face
October 14, 2022, 10:30am

Vodka Drinker
Not sure what Parkinson was on about telling his lot they’d “had us by the throat”. I can’t ever remember feeling too troubled throughout the full 2 hours, certainly never under any sustained pressure and it was just a case of being better at set pieces.

Sometimes I’m a bit critical of Hurst for his measured approach, but sooner that than a ranting fúcking lunatic like Parkinson, it didn’t look like any of their squad believed him either.
Private Message
Reply: 203 - 241
aldi_01
October 14, 2022, 10:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
The look on Palmers face said it all for me, and his ‘flipping get in to them’, ‘intercourse that’ nonsense was probably what contributed to their shaky start to the second half.

His bollcoks is even more laughable now, we were ever under any sustained pressure and I’d argue it was the one game, ironically where defensively we lacked something, even though we’d been decent over the season in that area.

He had nothing left for extra time and that probably explains why we ended up eventual winners.

You lead by example…all Parkinson seemed to do was about, even their reaction to their goals was somewhat over the top…anyone would think the pressure was on.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 204 - 241
Poojah
October 14, 2022, 12:12pm
Vodka Drinker
It seems to be only just dawning on most Wrexham fans that Mullin’s second was a blatant handball. Perhaps the game was t quite the injustice they felt it was, after all.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 205 - 241
aldi_01
October 14, 2022, 1:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
The more I see that goal the worse it gets…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 206 - 241
jaygy
October 14, 2022, 2:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
I still can't understand why mullin went for it with his hand, he could have headed it anyway.....very strange.

Overall I enjoyed the series but echo what others have said about some poor editing cutting away from goals to cut scenes and also I don't think they focused much on the fact that two former players(one who was shown in earlier episodes as a Wrexham player and captain) had come back to haunt them.

There is only longevity in the series' if Wrexham go up, another season of being the nearly men will get most people pretty bored. Neutrals will want to see success and not ultimate failure imo if they're spending time watching the series
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 207 - 241
OddShapedBalls
October 14, 2022, 3:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from jaygy
I still can't understand why mullin went for it with his hand, he could have headed it anyway.....very strange.

Overall I enjoyed the series but echo what others have said about some poor editing cutting away from goals to cut scenes and also I don't think they focused much on the fact that two former players(one who was shown in earlier episodes as a Wrexham player and captain) had come back to haunt them.

There is only longevity in the series' if Wrexham go up, another season of being the nearly men will get most people pretty bored. Neutrals will want to see success and not ultimate failure imo if they're spending time watching the series

Alternatively if they don't go up next year they can brutally cull the staff on screen to cause some social media shockwaves and keep interest up for a third series of will they/won't they
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 208 - 241
Rodley Mariner
October 14, 2022, 3:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Mullin went with his hand to protect himself I reckon. Scared to put his head in and risk getting whacked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 209 - 241
mirrorballman
October 14, 2022, 3:40pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +552
I don't think I'd agree that they never put us under sustained pressure. Tbf, there was a 10-15 minute spell when they had the goal disallowed where I couldn't see us surviving. Crocombe also pulled off a great save and could have given away a penalty.

Having said that, you would expect more from his ht teamtalk. Perhaps they cut the tactical stuff and just left the "get into 'em" bit.

Overall, apart from the Shaun Harvey bits, really enjoyed the series. Nice to see them open the finale with the section on GY and Town. It would also have been nice for them to have included at the end that their fans contributed to our PO Final ticket fund. As alluded to in the GY section, the towns, clubs and both sets of fans have a lot in common.  

Think they'll stroll it this season and look forward to playing them again in a few years in L1 or the Championship😉🙂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 210 - 241
Mariner93er
October 14, 2022, 5:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from mirrorballman

Think they'll stroll it this season and look forward to playing them again in a few years in L1 or the Championship😉🙂

I wouldn't be so sure! The Notts County striker is banging them in at a hell of a rate. Of course, it's a potential Tshimanga situation all over again.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 211 - 241
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 14, 2022, 5:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Just watched the episode where the young lad and his girlfriend lost their son. Very emotional and been there personally. I was fortunate to get time off from work so a massive massive amount of respect goes out to them, and equally to the club for rewarding him with a contract extension to take the burden away as much as they could

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 212 - 241
Rodley Mariner
October 14, 2022, 5:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Thought Jordan Davies came across really well and classy from Shaun Pearson in that last episode to go over and put his arm round him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 213 - 241
wiggers
October 14, 2022, 5:31pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +475
Gold Stars: 11
Just a shame there wasn’t a GTFC season long documentary. It was just unbelievable fairytale stuff, which I don’t think will ever be repeated. But not just the playoffs. The way we started, the dip in form and fans calling for PH to be sacked, last season had everything. Made my love the this club of ours even stronger. UTM!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 214 - 241
Hagrid
October 14, 2022, 8:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,527
Gold Stars: 544
Never minded wrexham

Do not like Parkinson one bit, his arrogance comes across through the screen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 215 - 241
sydney
October 14, 2022, 9:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Really Enjoyed the series
And couldn’t wait for the GY playoff episode
Brill
Although some credit for us would have been better
Anyway they at Wealdstone etc  we at Stockport
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 216 - 241
TownSNAFU5
October 14, 2022, 9:38pm
Vodka Drinker
There is a big article on the BBC website today about Wrexham.  Concentrating on the new tourists they are getting from around the world.  Australia, New Zealand, South Korea and a family from Texas.  Etc.  All attracted by the series.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 217 - 241
HertsGTFC
October 14, 2022, 10:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
“Let’s put these to the f*****g sword” “we’ve had this team by the throat” maybe if Parkinson kept his hand off his sword then maybe he’d have some success as a football manager. This confirms to me that Parkinson, Harvey, Mullen etc.. are a right set of arrogant illegitimates. They got what they deserved last season, f**k all!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 218 - 241
ginnywings
October 14, 2022, 10:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from HertsGTFC
“Let’s put these to the f*****g sword” “we’ve had this team by the throat” maybe if Parkinson kept his hand off his sword then maybe he’d have some success as a football manager. This confirms to me that Parkinson, Harvey, Mullen etc.. are a right set of arrogant illegitimates. They got what they deserved last season, f**k all!!

PH has to have watched this you would have thought. Bet he was p1ssing himself laughing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 219 - 241
HertsGTFC
October 14, 2022, 11:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

PH has to have watched this you would have thought. Bet he was p1ssing himself laughing.

Whilst looking at his medal from the game the following week.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 220 - 241
October 14, 2022, 11:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Doubt Hursty has seen it.

“£7.99 a month. Armuch?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 221 - 241
Maringer
October 15, 2022, 12:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Just finished watching it and it wasn't too bad an episode at the death. Like others, I'm surprised they didn't show the first-half wipe out by Crocombe which should have been a penalty, but then there was no mention of Mullins' clear handball, either. For the opener, they did at least leave the BT Sport commentary on noting those commentators were surprised it was given.

Parkinson's technique appears to be, "Leave it all on the field", which doesn't really count as coaching if the opposition also "Leave it all on the field" as well as your team. I was a bit baffled by his 'get torque on the headers' comments in one of the episodes as well.

Davies was their best footballer in the games I saw against them last season and deserves to be managed by somebody with a bit more about them. With Palmer and Mullins up front (who is a cheat but also a good goalscorer) and, I imagine, further expensive signings since their loss against us, it really ought to be theirs to lose this season.

The likes of Crawley, Luton, Wimbledon, Fleetwood and Barnet all won promotion when we were down there last time by spending more than everyone else and getting a decent manager (and FGR eventually managed the same, of course), so it's really strange to see Parkinson still in charge. He might well get them promoted this season, I suppose, but it could be a close-run thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 222 - 241
aldi_01
October 15, 2022, 8:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
I’m really surprised he lasted the summer. Having seen bits of the series and now all the last episode, it does indicate that he really is a relic. Football has moved on. Cliche driven team talks and by extra time he had nothing whereas, you watch our match day moments and Doig is giving a focused team talk, Hurst has players to one side, encouraging and Davis has the tactics book out and goes through set plays, who’s marking who etc.

A million miles from the side we were playing and, arguably, with lesser players. Imagine if we’d had Davies, Mullins playing…

The fact they speak highly of Shaun Harvey is alarming and I’d imagine that Wrexham fans aren’t happy with that relationship but also, there is a level of arrogance that comes across, the fact they spoke openly on camera about ‘two games’ and looking abroad for players when they hadn’t even beaten us yet is churlish to be fair.

I still don’t understand the bottle job going in the pub for extra time and the geezer running The Turf is an odd chap at times.

Ah well, we copulated their story and it will forever be in my top 5 town supporting moments…I’ve even got a souvenir…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 223 - 241
HertsGTFC
October 15, 2022, 9:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
I have to say cooing over next seasons away shirt and talking about buying foreign to wear it in the next league before they’d ever played a home semi comes across as they have zero humility and I do wonder if that’s the reality of the 3 characters in that scene.

I think they’re at a crossroads in terms of “popularity rating” to be honest and though undoubtedly their support is excellent and deserve success there is a vein of arrogance that comes across throughout their club, whether it’s their support coming to BP and singing “you’re only here for the Wrexham” or just the chronic top to bottom sense of entitlement in terms of winning the National league.

They’ll get up to the next league and probably the league after that, but what’s the saying? “form is temporary and class is permanent” time will tell which one they possess.

Ryan Reynolds has a gin brand, Aviator Gin, it’s good and currently leaves a much better taste in your mouth than the “documentary” if that’s what it can be called about his football club does.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 224 - 241
Zero_as_a_limit
October 15, 2022, 9:39am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +115
Gold Stars: 2
I was reminded of Gary Wackett watching Parkinson's team talks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0mLsS7Owxo

They have planning in for a 5000 capacity stand with rail seating - Rob & Ryan attending the planning committee meeting and the construction of the stand will provide half the narrative for the second series.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 225 - 241
HertsGTFC
October 15, 2022, 9:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Zero_as_a_limit
I was reminded of Gary Wackett watching Parkinson's team talks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0mLsS7Owxo

They have planning in for a 5000 capacity stand with rail seating - Rob & Ryan attending the planning committee meeting and the construction of the stand will provide half the narrative for the second series.

I did think it was funny at the end when one of the owners said to the players in the dressing after they’d concerned 5 to lose a home semi “this season wasn’t about promotion” clearly it wasn’t as important as 12 episodes on a streaming channel.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 226 - 241
Poojah
October 15, 2022, 10:17am
Vodka Drinker
Finally got round to watching the final episode last night. Whenever Parkinson isn’t being unduly aggressive, there’s something oddly robotic about his team talks. I don’t know if it’s the presence of the cameras that’s making him so wooden but it’s literally like he’s reading a list of football cliches at times. There’s just no meaning to his words.

Interesting too that he makes a point of loading it on Smith, as if he’s some sort of weak spot. Without a shadow of a doubt he’s a better footballer, even at 20 years old, than any defender they had on the pitch on the day. Even better than League One money Tozer with his big throw, who didn’t even have the biggest throw on the pitch that fateful day. Smith certainly thought quicker than Tozer in the build up to our winner, too.

I’ll be honest, I don’t mind what the Americans are trying to do at Wrexham. The documentary brings with it a certain degree of sustainability that most of these lower league takeovers don’t have. At the same time though, there’s no denying that the long-term success of the “project” requires a degree of success to keep it alive. No one across the pond will be watching season three of Wrexham taking on Dorking in the National League.

In Parkinson, and Harvey, they have made a potentially fatal error. Fundamentally the wrong men to get them out of that league. They should have won it at a canter last season. They didn’t. Having failed to, they should be leading it at a canter now. They aren’t. They’re still conceding silly amounts of goals to the likes of Barnet.

My gut feel is that the money behind Wrexham will eventually pay off and it will lift them to heights they haven’t experienced for some time. But if it doesn’t, I do worry to what degree their owners will be prepared to underwrite failure. Whatever the documentary may have you believe, they are not risking their own money on this.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 227 - 241
Maringer
October 15, 2022, 12:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
One thing I thought the last episode showed was that the owners have actually developed a real interest in the results and they were worked up during the play-off match as you'd expect a fan to be. Earlier in the series, it seemed to me that Reynolds wasn't really that interested but I can believe that they both are now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 228 - 241
MarinerDevil
October 15, 2022, 12:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Approval: +2,805
There's no doubt they're getting promoted at some point and I'll be surprised if it isn't this season. They'll quickly kick on into League One after that as well. The question of what happens when the rich guys leave and the documentaries stop is rightly being asked, but I think football fans rarely concern themselves with things like that. When you've been starved of joy for as long as Wrexham fans have, you'll take any sort of success even if it's short-lived.

I enjoyed the series as a whole, although it could have been a bit shorter if they'd cut out some of the filler episodes. Rob and Ryan seem to have their heads screwed on and will definitely be taking Wrexham fans on a wild journey. I share the concern of others that they haven't figured out Shaun Harvey yet, though.

I think people are being a bit harsh on Parkinson. I agree that his style is quite one-dimensional and old-hat, but it still works in the lower leagues when you play to your strengths, as the Cowleys proved. Wrexham showed us their enormous threat from set-pieces in that semi-final; I don't think many lower league sides will have an answer to that. His best keeper and defender were also injured for the play-offs which definitely made an impact.

Overall though, however cynical we might be about big money, it's encouraging to see investors believing in working-class towns like Wrexham and Grimsby. Having a relatively successful football club will be a huge catalyst for growth in our otherwise forgotten outposts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 229 - 241
Maringer
October 15, 2022, 1:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
It must be said, some of the set piece defending from both teams in that game was flipping useless. So many free headers with no proper challenge put in at both ends of the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 230 - 241
RichMariner
October 15, 2022, 9:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,192
Gold Stars: 216
On the whole, I enjoyed the series (once you get past the fact that it's primarily for an American audience).

I have mixed feelings about the venture, though.

McElhenney seems genuine enough. He's just your typical American sports fan, searching for something new to love, willing to go all in on it and live every moment.

I'm not so convinced Ryan Reynolds is. My issue with him is that he's always acting. It didn't feel like we ever knew what he was truly thinking/feeling. I'm not sure he's in it for the football; the sport, and that's where the two differ. He sees the commercial benefit/opportunity, whereas McElhenney's reasons look more genuine.

I also think there's a culture clash. It's obvious that English lower league football is a world away from Hollywood, and Shaun Harvey is not the bridge between them.

Harvey causes financial issues wherever he goes, and it's astounding that they either didn't do their research or, worse, did their research and still thought he was the guy to rely on.

I wish the Wrexham fans well and I hope for their sake they have something to celebrate, but I do wonder if this venture has the longevity their fans will demand.

They lost every game that mattered last season — at Dagenham, at Wembley v Bromley and against us. Fundamentally, it feels as though something's not quite right at the heart of the club. To me, it still feels a bit artificial.

When another rocky patch inevitably arrives, will they sack Parkinson? Will they be willing to throw more money at it if they don't go up this season? How sustainable is this mission if/when sponsors grow impatient or lose interest?

Harvey is not a football man at heart. He's a cold-hearted businessman with a list of failures in his wake. He causes damage wherever he goes.

If they hope for any success in the future, he has to go. They need an advisor to build their understanding of the league and the sport itself, but he's not it. Telling them 'it's sustainable as long as you're willing to pay for it' is terrible business advice in this game.

I probably wouldn't have watched it had I not known the ending or been in their league that season. The Jordan Davies piece was sensitively covered, and I found myself welling up at various points, so it certainly struck an emotional side every now and again.

The US/Canada are poles apart from lower league English footy and this documentary exposed it. Genuine effort from RMc to embrace it, I don't doubt that, I just fear this isn't going to end well for the Wrexham fans.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 231 - 241
LH
October 15, 2022, 10:37pm

Just finished ep 5 and I share Rich’s views on the ownership duo. Reynolds is there for a laugh it seems.

It’s great that the injustice that the National League only has two promotion spots is finally being heard in America now and we should expect the Navy SEALs to raid the EFL and NL headquarters any day now.
Private Message
Reply: 232 - 241
promotion plaice
October 15, 2022, 10:44pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,084
Gold Stars: 201

Don't tell us I haven't watched it yet.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 233 - 241
LH
October 15, 2022, 11:04pm

We’ve done that gag
Private Message
Reply: 234 - 241
HertsGTFC
October 15, 2022, 11:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LH
Just finished ep 5 and I share Rich’s views on the ownership duo. Reynolds is there for a laugh it seems.

It’s great that the injustice that the National League only has two promotion spots is finally being heard in America now and we should expect the Navy SEALs to raid the EFL and NL headquarters any day now.

Well if they’re to be believed the USA won both World Wars on their own. They put a man on the moon and obviously invented the production line but getting 3 up 3 down could be too big a challenge for even those good old boys.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 235 - 241
aldi_01
October 16, 2022, 7:39am

Barley Wine Drinker
I’d echo what Rich has said, in the parts I’ve watched I never know if Reynolds is acting or not which is odd. I don’t know what their end game is and whilst there’s a potential happy ending in promotion which ultimately makes the club more saleable, there’s still a risk that they don’t go up and they lose interest or their sponsors lose interest.

I’m still confused as to why that melt went to the pub at extra time but hey ho.

It worries me that two, allegedly intelligent blokes haven’t done their due diligence on Harvey. For that alone, I hope they fail miserably.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 236 - 241
Mayaman
October 16, 2022, 10:53am
Brandy Drinker
And OK documentary IMO.  I can't put my finger on it but I really enjoyed the last episode.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 237 - 241
TownSNAFU5
October 16, 2022, 9:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Did anything interesting happen in the last episode?  Did we have a shot on target?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 238 - 241
aldi_01
October 16, 2022, 9:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Did anything interesting happen in the last episode?  Did we have a shot on target?

Joking aside, they built the game up and at least acknowledged us and the little interview with Stockwood was a nice touch…sadly, the coverage of the game was woeful with all the excrement editing. It took all the emotion and tension away, for me anyway.

I’m well aware that no video or TV footage will ever replicate how I felt in that stadium for that game but they literally killed it. Even our winner, there was so much they could’ve done and they didn’t. Panning around the crowd, the juxtaposition between both sets of fans, almost sat side by side in that ‘upper tier’, the players reactions, the benches, everything was lost for me.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 239 - 241
Poojah
October 16, 2022, 10:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Joking aside, they built the game up and at least acknowledged us and the little interview with Stockwood was a nice touch…sadly, the coverage of the game was woeful with all the excrement editing. It took all the emotion and tension away, for me anyway.

I’m well aware that no video or TV footage will ever replicate how I felt in that stadium for that game but they literally killed it. Even our winner, there was so much they could’ve done and they didn’t. Panning around the crowd, the juxtaposition between both sets of fans, almost sat side by side in that ‘upper tier’, the players reactions, the benches, everything was lost for me.

The one thing you do get is a beautiful (if distant view) of the Town bench going mental as the winner hits the back of the net. Hadn’t seen the goal from that angle before.

[img]https://im2.ezgif.com/tmp/ezgif-2-7cf4e69bdb.gif[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 240 - 241
LH
October 16, 2022, 11:16pm

Observations from tonight’s viewing: Ryan Reynolds fake tan makes him look jaundiced when stood next to others and there are so many typos in the graphics and subtitles.
Private Message
Reply: 241 - 241
25 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham Documentary

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.