3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
September 6, 2022, 12:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,406
Gold Stars: 56
Absolutely outstanding defender at this level and the one below not blessed with great pace but reads the game so well it seldom matters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
fishboyUTM
September 6, 2022, 12:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from aldi_01
Proof that coaching, desire, culture, self reflection and self belief can turn you around…

On this occasion, the player was not at fault. Holloway was fully responsible for Luke's struggling so badly that season. He was instructed to recieve the ball under pressure, bring the ball out from the back and play it into midfield. He was always going to struggle to play like Franco Baresi. He thrives when asked to win his headers, dominate physically and to clear his lines. It's staggering that man has had success as a manager, utter buffonery.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
SouthLakesMariner
September 6, 2022, 12:55pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +945
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from Poojah
Waterfall isn’t the first Town player to come back a different player after the summer following a disappointing season (Rob Jones anyone), but his transformation from where he was in that disastrous season under Holloway to where he is now is remarkable.

Hurst and the coaching team deserve their share of credit for the turnaround, but ultimately the lion’s share of praise deserves to go to the player himself. It takes real mental strength and resilience to do what he has done.

If he hadn’t, he could very well be playing for Scunny right now, or worse. Hang on, that’s not possible. He could be playing for Scunny.

Ah, Jones the Stick ..... one of my favourite players from the Russel Slade Mk1 era for many reasons, not least his turnaround in form from what Poojah correctly and possibly generously describes as a disappointing first season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
toontown
September 6, 2022, 12:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,267
Gold Stars: 70
This is one case were the credit has to go with the player to be honest, he was told by Hurst he could leave, he wanted to stay and fight for his place and once he got in he simply couldn't be ousted from the line up. Fair play to Hurst for being being willing to have his mind changed, some managers wouldn't.

Waterfall has been excellent for 12 months (bar a couple of bizarre hiccups around the Barnet away game). I admit I would have been happy to get rid after our relegation but he has made everyone eat their words.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
Mariner_09
September 6, 2022, 12:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
I never had any concerns that he wouldn’t be up to it this season. I’m not sure he was actually as bad as some people say he was. He had a disaster the night we got relegated at Exeter and I think he got scapegoated on the back of that. He wasn’t good, by any measure but he wasn’t the unmitigated disaster some suggest he was.

He was my POTS last year, thought his consistency gave him the edge over McAtee, and that was before the playoffs where he was fundamental. Now he’s got a proper structure around him, a great partner, a better keeper behind him and top midfielders in front of him, plus has had a couple of proper preseasons under a proper manager, he looks like a top L2 centre back. He’s played in L1 before, so it’s no surprise he looks good at this level again.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
Poojah
September 6, 2022, 1:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,060
Gold Stars: 1,536
Quoted from toontown
Waterfall has been excellent for 12 months (bar a couple of bizarre hiccups around the Barnet away game).

Indeed, I think that minute against Maidenhead was possibly the worst I’ve seen from anyone in a Town shirt (and that’s going some). Scoring an own goal, conceding a penalty and getting sent off, all in the space of 60 seconds, is no mean feat.

All is forgiven, of course.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
Mayaman
September 6, 2022, 3:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,462
Gold Stars: 74
Luke has been an inspiration.  Remember those two shocking games prior to the play-offs?    Head didn't go down, came back, bagged a few goals and led us to victory over the three games. For me, he was the player of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
MrThirsty
September 6, 2022, 3:23pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +236
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from SouthLakesMariner

Ah, Jones the Stick ..... one of my favourite players from the Russel Slade Mk1 era for many reasons, not least his turnaround in form from what Poojah correctly and possibly generously describes as a disappointing first season.

I remember going to an away game on a Friday night at Southend with a friend, who had played football at a decent level, who could not believe Rob Jones was a professional footballer but he went on to prove us all wrong!

With regards Luke Waterfall, I believe Paul Hurst said that when Waterfall returned for preseason last year he couldn’t believe how fit he was and how determined he was to succeed. I think anyone could have been derailed by Holloway and it is to Waterfall’s credit that he came back to such great effect last season and has continued in the same vein this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
acko338
September 6, 2022, 3:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,213
Gold Stars: 33
I am waiting for several more repeats of the old chestnut.... Hunt takes the corner, bulleted to Waterfall..... Goal !!!!

Who's with me ?????
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
RonMariner
September 7, 2022, 8:49am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.43
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,913
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from acko338
I am waiting for several more repeats of the old chestnut.... Hunt takes the corner, bulleted to Waterfall..... Goal !!!!

Who's with me ?????

Yup. I think we will see a few of those. Hunt’s delivery into the box is first class. Put on Waterfall’s head and a goal is very probable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Luke Waterfall

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.