Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 101 Guests

Just back.

This thread currently has 10,665 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
November 5, 2022, 5:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Football eh?

Last week we lose to the current worst team in the EFL and this week we thrash the current best team in the league above. Couldn't be any more different.

We gave them too much respect for about 5 mins, by which time they were 1-0 up from a shot that surprised me when it went in, but after that, we took the game to them and just put them to the sword.

Kiernan and Clifton especially were magnificent first half and caused them all sorts of problems. Clifton was absolutely superb for the first 45 mins.The two goals Kiernan scored were fantastic, but the second one was worth the entrance fee alone.

I think them scoring early was part of their undoing and I think they felt it was going to be an easy afternoon, but once we got into them, they seemed to wilt and couldn't really get going again.

Fantastic performance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
MuddyWaters
November 5, 2022, 5:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,294
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings
Football eh?

Last week we lose to the current worst team in the EFL and this week we thrash the current best team in the league above. Couldn't be any more different.

We gave them too much respect for about 5 mins, by which time they were 1-0 up from a shot that surprised me when it went in, but after that, we took the game to them and just put them to the sword.

Kiernan and Clifton especially were magnificent first half and caused them all sorts of problems. Clifton was absolutely superb for the first 45 mins.The two goals Kiernan scored were fantastic, but the second one was worth the entrance fee alone.

I think them scoring early was part of their undoing and I think they felt it was going to be an easy afternoon, but once we got into them, they seemed to wilt and couldn't really get going again.

Fantastic performance.

Hard to single out individuals on a day like today but there was terrific energy and Morris and Hunt looked very comfortable against a higher league midfield. In truth, our defence was rarely challenged meaning Glennon had one of his most effective games this season.

Great job lads, bring on another home draw.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 69
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 5, 2022, 5:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Brillgrims outwit The Pilgrims in The Holloway Derby
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 69
spuggybridge
November 5, 2022, 6:07pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +39
Gold Stars: 1
Brilliant performance from every single player today, said a few weeks ago that we should let Kiernan play on the left hand side, he seemed to be a lot more comfortable when he got there today. Just hope we can play like that the rest of the season. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 69
ginnywings
November 5, 2022, 6:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Harry looked to be playing the McAtee role today and was very very good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 69
LH
November 5, 2022, 6:21pm

Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,618
Gold Stars: 177
That’s two home games in a row that I’ve come home and feel like I’ve been thoroughly entertained. Absolutely outstanding first half after a really sloppy start.

I’ve been critical of Clifton before but some of his runs at their left back today were incredible. Kiernan did brilliantly in an unfamiliar role - by far his best performance for us. The defence looked solid after conceding a really poor goal and looking a bit wobbly until our equaliser.

Nice to see some flicks and trickery today amongst some really good footy. Thoroughly enjoyable. Now let’s do that again next Saturday in front of a big crowd!
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 69
HerveJosse
November 5, 2022, 7:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,208
Gold Stars: 145
So we thrash the League One leaders 5-1 and Donny lose at home to Kings Lynn . What does that tell you about our prospects next Saturday .Probably the name of todays completion minus the word Cup..Sometines football is very difficult to understand.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 69
moosey_club
November 5, 2022, 7:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,336
Gold Stars: 229
Woke up with zero expectations from today's game.
Went to the pub with zero expectations.
Saw the team sheets from both sides...zero expectations.
Chatted to some away fans on the way to the ground ...zero expectations.
1-0 down inside 5 mins..zero expectations.

Fck me what a turn up.  Hurst fantastic choice of formation, set up shape. Players in every single position better than their opposite number. Superb effort, performance, shift etc.

Can't heap enough plaudits onto the team today.

#magicofthecup

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 69
heppy88
November 5, 2022, 7:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Apart from the first five minutes, a totally one sided affair. For 40 minutes of the first half Town were outstanding. One of the standout performances of my 35 years supporting The Mariners. At times we tore them apart and Clifton was key to this (There will be managers higher up the leagues taking note). When teams allow us to play with freedom and on the deck, we take some beating. Its when teams close up shop and try to stifle our football, that we seem to struggle. After the third goal Plymouth looked shell shocked and capitulated. Town played like a team possessed. So, so proud of the team today. Also great support, after a couple of disappointing results and personal finances as they are, great to see a good crowd. Loyalty rewarded with a day to remember. UTMM!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 69
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 5, 2022, 7:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,791
Gold Stars: 82
Probably our best performance of the season and at the time of posting not even one full page of comments. Three of our goals were sublime for different reasons and in all honesty we could have scored eight if not for goal line clearances and a few wrong choices in great attacking positions.

Never been Clifton’s biggest fan but today he was superb and showed that playing him on the right hand side where he can naturally play passes and crosses is the way forward.

Great entertainment great result and hopefully Sheffield Wednesday next round.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 69
Badger57
November 5, 2022, 8:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,922
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Probably our best performance of the season and at the time of posting not even one full page of comments.

Most of us are still stunned and unable to articulate our feelings in words.
Either that or everybody is still in the pub celebrating and drunk! 😁
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 69
chaos33
November 5, 2022, 8:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,991
Gold Stars: 364
Love it. ‘Never been Clifton's biggest fan’. Bizarre thing to say in your summary as he’s been utterly brilliant for us and an unchallengeable success story in relation to nurturing and creating and evolving a player from the academy/local area who goes on to repay that investment in spades and then some. Makes your opinion about as relevant as a Kwasi Kwarteng critique of Keynesian economic theory, or a befuddled illiterate child trying to describe the concept of free will.

What a player! What a club. What superb and visionary management. UTM

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 69
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 5, 2022, 8:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
Love it. ‘Never been Clifton's biggest fan’. Bizarre thing to say in your summary as he’s been utterly brilliant for us and an unchallengeable success story in relation to nurturing and creating and evolving a player from the academy/local area who goes on to repay that investment in spades and then some. Makes your opinion about as relevant as a Kwasi Kwarteng critique of Keynesian economic theory, or a befuddled illiterate child trying to describe the concept of free will.

It’s an opinion mate no need to be a twit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 69
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 5, 2022, 8:09pm
Brandy Drinker

And it’s not twit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 69
HatTrickHero
November 5, 2022, 8:13pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +839
Gold Stars: 26
Listened on the radio but did see a (very poor quality) vid of the short corner goal....WOW!
Just stunning movement, execution and invention. Amazing display.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 69
lew chaterleys lover
November 5, 2022, 8:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,817
Gold Stars: 239
It was a fantastic performance once we settled after the first few minutes.

It was like you see them playing in the videos of them training- one and two touch, keeping the ball on the floor, and basically the opposition could not handle it.

I can hardly remember one long hoisted ball (because the players obviously realised with no target man/recognised strikers it would be a waste of time).

It is hard to imagine we would get that much room in a league game, but having found a way to play that is exciting and exhilarating should the manager stick with it? The injury situation might mean he has to and I don't think too many would complain.

We created more chances in that one game than a lot of games combined.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 69
MuddyWaters
November 5, 2022, 8:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,294
Gold Stars: 236
I like Ryan Taylor a lot. But today showed that what defenders hate most is movement and pace and, above all, freedom.

With the shackles off, we have a very good set of players. When we get one dimensional, less so, because they look predictable. More movement, less shackles please.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 69
headingly_mariner
November 5, 2022, 8:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,408
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from chaos33

Easily our most consistent performer since before we were relegated. Lucky to still have him and that's only because he's a local boy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 69
ginnywings
November 5, 2022, 8:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Badger57

Most of us are still stunned and unable to articulate our feelings in words.
Either that or everybody is still in the pub celebrating and drunk! 😁

My brother and nephew both said they were going to the pub to celebrate that performance, and neither were planning to before the game.

They are probably still there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 69
chaos33
November 5, 2022, 8:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Listen mate, I know it’s an opinion. Absolutely the place to share it is on this forum. It’s why it’s here. But, if that opinion is palpably stupid, expect to have it challenged.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 69
jamesgtfc
November 5, 2022, 8:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,112
Gold Stars: 190
I've seen us twice this season, we've scored 9 goals and Kiernan has looked great in both. Clifton was absolutely brilliant but that Efete goal from the corner was something else.

5 minutes in I think we were all bemoaning our lack of out and out striker in the matchday squad. We knocked 5 past Plymouth and had two efforts cleared off the line too!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 69
Maringer
November 5, 2022, 8:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,745
Gold Stars: 189
Some really good football on display from us today and, what was good to see, was that there were so few needless misplaced passes. Popped the ball around neatly in midfield and rarely made any unforced errors. Makes me wonder why we can't do it every week!

It must be said that we'll not face a team in League Two which gives us as much room in midfield as Plymouth did today. Also, as well as we played, I thought their defence looked pretty rubbish throughout (I was disappointed we didn't score more than 5!) so I'm amazed they are doing so well on that performance.

Clifton dropped off a bit in the second half, but he'd put so much effort in during the first half and achieved plenty, that it's perfectly understandable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 69
CSLM
November 5, 2022, 9:05pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
Excellent performance.
Really pleased for Kiernan as he works his socks off every week. As everyone has pointed out Clifton deserves the plaudits, incredible energy and the final pass/cross/shot has massively improved in the last year.
Smith looked a level above once again. He has made some mistakes but just oozes quality.
Overall a thoroughly enjoyable watch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 69
HertsGTFC
November 5, 2022, 10:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,076
Gold Stars: 238
I expected nothing, in fact I expected a similar score line to the Forest game, especially after the first 5 minutes. After that though I think it’s fair to say in the first half we battered them and despite some pretty play by them in the 2nd half we where comfortable enough to try and get the ball down and just play it around.

Things that I liked,

- The result - Impressive
- The performance - Best for ages
- The goals - Some top class finishes
- The application - From everyone
- The heart - As above
- The desire - everyone up to Clifton’s level today.
- Their lack of desire - Shocking!
- Us Shape - Hurst out thought their manager
- Kiernan - answering any critics
- Efete - looking like Efete again.
- Gav, Bryn and Alex in midfield- great balance
- Our passing - Made all the difference
- Our work rate - as above
- Our keeper - Oozes confidence
- Our Defence - Top class
- Our mid field - Top class
- Our attack - Top class
- The ref - who didn’t listen to them moaning.

So 10/10 from me, well done Town.

Sorry missed a bit, it must have been a great feeling for Hurst, with 15 minutes to go we where comfortable and in control and he could throw in 3 youngsters who all added a bit as well.

Lincoln at home in the next round anyone? Well maybe not ………. 😉

UTM!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 69
PB
November 5, 2022, 10:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +256
Gold Stars: 3
Like everyone else, I’ve come back down to earth after a memorable afternoon.
One other thing worthy of a mention - the referee Thomas Parsons. Easily the best ref I’ve seen this season - professional, consistent, and quietly authoritative.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 69
aldi_01
November 5, 2022, 10:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Ironic isn’t it, large numbers befuddled by the selection and the possible shape yet I’d argue it’s the tightest we’ve been for a few games. We never lost us shape at all, even after the subs were made.

Got chatting with their camera man at half time. He just kept laughing, he was honest and just said they were rubbish. I asked if that was their regular defence and he laughed and smirked and said ‘yeh’.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 69
Garth
November 5, 2022, 10:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Just got over being shell shocked by a Buckley esc footballing treat.
All Town players deserve plaudits, but Clifton easily deserved MOM.
Those that missed this one will wait a long time to see the like again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 69
Stockport Mariner
November 5, 2022, 10:53pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 8
[quote=284]Ironic isn’t it, large numbers befuddled by the selection and the possible shape yet I’d argue it’s the tightest we’ve been for a few games. We never lost us shape at all, even after the subs were made.

It’s funny isn’t it? After the Bradford and Stockport games we were saying how essential it was that Green was in the team - not even in the squad today. I have no clue what our best XI is, I wonder if Hurst does? He would argue - probably quite rightly - that it depends on who we are playing. To be fair he seems to have got the team selection right for most games this season based on who’s fit and available, but no doubt he’s learning more about the squad as the season progresses. Can’t wait until McAtee is back fully fit!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 69
The Yard Dog
November 5, 2022, 11:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,522
Gold Stars: 74
Disappointed with Waterfall today (tongue and cheek), could have had a full house of defenders on the scoresheet, has that ever happened before?
Brilliant performance by the whole team, lets take that into our next league fixture.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 69
toontown
November 5, 2022, 11:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,267
Gold Stars: 70
Well what can you say other than completely outstanding. Genuinely 7 goals against the league 1 leaders would not have flattered us.

The moment from kiernan up front was fantastic, he pulled them all over the place leaving space for other runners and they just couldn't handle it. A superb clip for his first after sensational work from clifton. Cracking team goal for his second. Kiernan my motm.

Clifton, especially in that first half, was phenomenal, loads of energy as always, but some great passes too which when he first emerged was his weak point.

Glennon central to our set piece delivery again and again outstanding. Holohan got in so so many great positions, didn't come off for him and he should have done better with at least one but tremendous work rate.

All the players played well, crocombe maybe could have done better for their opener but was great at claiming crosses yet again. Waterfall was a colossus at the back. I'm running out of superlatives basically, the game was a triumph, well done town and well done Hurst. Bring on round 2 and bring on donny rovers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 69
TAGG
November 5, 2022, 11:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 126
Plymouth Argyle manager Steven Schumacher says his side's 5-1 loss at League Two side Grimsby Town in the FA Cup is a 'reality check'.

The Pilgrims went into the game four points clear at the top of League One after an impressive 4-2 win over Devon rivals Exeter City on Monday night.

But they found themselves 4-1 down at half-time as they suffered their joint-heaviest defeat of the season.

"I'm shocked really for the level of performance that we put in," he told BBC Radio Devon.

"It's simply not good enough and the standards that we have been playing at lately we were nowhere near that today.

"We got what we deserved. Grimsby Town were by far the better team, showed more energy than us, showed more passion and more commitment to win the game and more desire, so they deserved to go through to the second round and we deserved nothing from it."

The defeat ended a 16-game unbeaten run in all competitions that stretched back to a 5-1 loss at Charlton Athletic on 16 August.

"It just shows if we don't do the basics right, don't compete, don't try and win second balls, then you're not going to get an awful lot from the games," Schumacher said.

"It might be a bit of a reality check as well to a few because I felt that we were a little bit sloppy in the body language and didn't ever really get a grip of the game.

"It's a real blip and something we're going to have to learn from."

He added: "We won't overreact. It's the first defeat in what, 15 games or something.

"I think the players are experienced enough and honest enough to know that wasn't good enough

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 69
DB
November 6, 2022, 6:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.33
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,069
Gold Stars: 391
It's the morning after the match and time for reality check.

We won 5 - 1
Nobody has moaned about any of the team
The football was a dream come true, from the performance at the Barrow and Hartlepool matches
This could be the start of a new game plan for Town without McAtee & Taylor
Hurst does know what he's doing, although he gets it wrong occasionally
Playing like that, do we need an out and out No9?
The only team in Lincolnshire left in the FA cup at such an early stage

and

Something to look forward to on Monday evening. the draw for the next round.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 69
easypeersy
November 6, 2022, 7:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
Buzzing for Monday’s second round cup draw.
Really want a non league team away as they are an interesting day out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 69
lukeo
November 6, 2022, 7:50am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.06
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,419
Gold Stars: 149
If Alvechurch and Chippenham don't get picked for TV it'll be a farce, what a story for them so far..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 69
Maringer
November 6, 2022, 8:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from lukeo
If Alvechurch and Chippenham don't get picked for TV it'll be a farce, what a story for them so far..

Randomly enough, one of our Norwegian customers supports Chippenham Town (no idea why). Quite possible that we might end up meeting him for the first time as he travels to the UK a few times a year to watch them play!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 69
Son of Cod
November 6, 2022, 9:05am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Approval: +5,359
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from chaos33

Listen mate, I know it’s an opinion. Absolutely the place to share it is on this forum. It’s why it’s here. But, if that opinion is palpably stupid, expect to have it challenged.

It's not palpably stupid at all. It's taken Clifton 150 matches or so and about 7 years to get to the high level we're seeing this season. I'd suggest it's more palpably stupid to think he's been utterly brilliant (your words) for the entirety of that time, which seems to be what you're saying. I love Clifton, always have because of the effort he puts in and the attitude he shows but that doesn't mean I don't think he's not had times with us when he's been way off the pace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 69
HoratiusEberlin
November 6, 2022, 9:21am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +216
Gold Stars: 10
Can someone please give our management team a laugh by shouting ‘sort it Hurst’ seconds into our next home game?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 69
sam gy
November 6, 2022, 9:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,485
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Son of Cod

It's taken Clifton 150 matches or so and about 7 years to get to the high level we're seeing this season.

It’s called progression….I don’t see your point here. Are we now lambasting him for…getting better…over time?

Also, he only made his full league debut 4.5 years ago. Not about 7.

The point is, he has consistently been picked by our last 3 managers. Played a really good amount of games for his age, and if you actually went back and assessed all his games he far more often has a good or steady game than not, it’s just that when he doesn’t he has the limelight on him more for some reason, I’m guessing because he’s local.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 69
lew chaterleys lover
November 6, 2022, 10:04am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB
It's the morning after the match and time for reality check.

We won 5 - 1
Nobody has moaned about any of the team
The football was a dream come true, from the performance at the Barrow and Hartlepool matches
This could be the start of a new game plan for Town without McAtee & Taylor
Hurst does know what he's doing, although he gets it wrong occasionally
Playing like that, do we need an out and out No9?
The only team in Lincolnshire left in the FA cup at such an early stage

and

Something to look forward to on Monday evening. the draw for the next round.

I totally get your enthusiastic support and I agree we owe Hurst a debt of gratitude what he is doing, and has done for GTFC.

But, it was apparent from his post match interview that the team that played yesterday was nowhere near the team he would have picked had  injuries not intervened.

We were basically forced into playing to our strengths due to all the recognised strikers being unavailable which completely bamboozled Plymouth and indeed the fans.

The big question for Hurst now is having found a way to play fantastic attacking football will he stick with it? I doubt it and one reason is he will think league 2 teams won't give us the amount of room Plymouth did, bizarrely.

Private Message
Reply: 38 - 69
HertsGTFC
November 6, 2022, 10:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from sam gy

It’s called progression….I don’t see your point here. Are we now lambasting him for…getting better…over time?

The point is, he has consistently been picked by our last 3 managers. Played a really good amount of games for his age, and if you actually went back and assessed all his games he far more often has a good or steady game than not, it’s just that when he doesn’t he has the limelight on him more for some reason, I’m guessing because he’s local.

Agree, also worth noting that in that 4.5 years he’s played different positions in different weeks in what at best could be described as average & poor sides for lots of it.

Oddly enough once we get a decent manager and he starts playing in a well organised side he starts to fulfil his massive potential.

I think I read that someone said he’d been “off the pace” which is an odd comment, personally I think if more developed and experienced players in the last few seasons had met his levels of desire, commitment and application we may have done better.

Yesterday was a great example after the first 5 minutes not one player turned the game but he was one of a few that gave the rest belief.

There a thread on here about clubs watching Glennon but I’d suggest after last season and this one to date a few will have Harry in the radar.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 69
sam gy
November 6, 2022, 10:12am
Cocktail Drinker
Already turned down a few offers from lg1 in the summer apparently.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 69
sam gy
November 6, 2022, 10:13am
Cocktail Drinker

I totally get your enthusiastic support and I agree we owe Hurst a debt of gratitude what he is doing, and has done for GTFC.

But, it was apparent from his post match interview that the team that played yesterday was nowhere near the team he would have picked had  injuries not intervened.

We were basically forced into playing to our strengths due to all the recognised strikers being unavailable which completely bamboozled Plymouth and indeed the fans.

The big question for Hurst now is having found a way to play fantastic attacking football will he stick with it? I doubt it and one reason is he will think league 2 teams won't give us the amount of room Plymouth did, bizarrely.

Also shows how decent our squad actually is too, I reckon. And the importance of having all round good players who can play in a few positions.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 69
Son of Cod
November 6, 2022, 10:14am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Approval: +5,359
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from sam gy

Yes correct, you have indeed completely missed my point. My point was that giving someone shit and calling their opinion stupid for saying they've never been the biggest fan of a player who has spent the vast majority of his time with us as very much a work in progress is in itself not that great of a take. Like you say, he's put in a lot of solid performances but I don't think it's unreasonable at all for someone to have not rated him at various points in his career so far.

There seems to be this odd tendancy on here for people to jump down other people's throats for suggesting that players aren't or haven't always been on top of their game. There's a huge grey are of rationality between slagging everything off and happy clapping everything.

Good little smarmy "it's called progression" comment though. I was also referring to the amount of time he's been a pro at our club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 69
lew chaterleys lover
November 6, 2022, 10:23am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from sam gy

Also shows how decent our squad actually is too, I reckon. And the importance of having all round good players who can play in a few positions.

Indeed it does, but the point remains that our best display of the season came about with a team that the manager wouldn't have chosen apart from injuries intervening.

It one of the many odd things about football and life in general that the unexpected is just around the corner.

I don't think anybody on here would have chosen that lineup on purpose  
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 69
HertsGTFC
November 6, 2022, 10:32am

Barley Wine Drinker

Indeed it does, but the point remains that our best display of the season came about with a team that the manager wouldn't have chosen apart from injuries intervening.

It one of the many odd things about football and life in general that the unexpected is just around the corner.

I don't think anybody on here would have chosen that lineup on purpose  

I would doubt that we’ll see that every week, that’s nothing to do with Hurst in person it’s just the way that managers and coaches are brought up to work these days. Coaching methods seem to teach & develop coaches to set up and select more with opponents in mind rather than focussing on what their own team do. Sadly gone are the days when managers picked their best 11 in the same shape each week.

You’re right we won’t get the space we got yesterday but we might get a bit more respect, I think Plymouth just thought they had to walk out the tunnel to win. When they realised they couldn’t play the ref and they were behind in the game they didn’t have the bottle for it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 69
lukeo
November 6, 2022, 10:45am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.06
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,419
Gold Stars: 149

Surely... Surely you go 'right OK, that was ermm interesting. I'm going to give this a go for 3-4 league games'. If it works brilliant. If not then there's nothing to lose as we're all expecting that mid table finish anyway, a juicy cup run with it would be lovely mind
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 69
pontoonlew
November 6, 2022, 11:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 181
I think the ‘never get too high when you win and never get too low when you lose’ would serve some well.

Yesterday was brilliant and gives us great hope after 2 shockers. The element of our fan base that come on to say ‘SEE, I TOLD YOU ‘PLAYER X’ WAS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT’ after one performance are arguably as annoying as the people who only seem to ever want something to moan about.

The beauty of football is the difference of opinions and it’s weird to see the complete meltdown people go into when somebody doesn’t share their own. I very rarely see genuine abuse of players on here, but the ‘happy clapper’ element seem hell bent that it happens regularly, odd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 69
HerveJosse
November 6, 2022, 11:21am
Champagne Drinker
Who would have thought that Harry’s best ever game in a Town shirt would be as a right sided attacker/ No 10 role.
While acknowledging yesterday was probably a one off it has changed my mind about needing Taylor in the side his back to the goal hold up play 40 yards from goal would make yesterdays approach impossible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 69
GtfcGarner
November 6, 2022, 12:02pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,813
Gold Stars: 26
The magic of the FA Cup!

One thing this year is that it's up and down and would I have taken a mid-table finish with a good cup run at the start? Absolutely I would. Let's not say we can't add to the squad in January and have a decent little go at the playoffs but after being back and finding our feet had some brilliant games so far and others not so brilliant. It's got the joy back of being a town fan and seems we are actually competitive this time round.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 69
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 6, 2022, 12:34pm
Brandy Drinker
As it was me who made the comment re Clifton last night I want to clarify that I’ve never questioned his loyalty, commitment and endeavour. However, I have in the past questioned his ability on the ball and his distribution when he played in the centre of midfield and I thought that him playing wide on the left slowed down the pace of our attacks as he understandably regularly checked back on to his right foot to make crosses passes etc. that said I acknowledge he has scored some important point winning goals from that position particularly in away games.

I thought yesterday showed up this latter point as he stormed down the right hand side beating players, getting in crosses and causing their defenders a multitude of problems. He’s clearly an asset to the club not least for the fact that he can play in so many positions but ideally for his own benefit it would probably be an advantage to get settled in one position and personally I would like that to be on the right hand side rather than the left.

Best not mention my opinion on Kiernan before yesterday’s performance!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 69
Poojah
November 6, 2022, 2:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,065
Gold Stars: 1,536
Quoted from sam gy
Already turned down a few offers from lg1 in the summer apparently.

Funnily enough I got chatting to Harry’s cousin on the train to Hartlepool (verified by the fact he looked a lot like Harry). He said he did have offers from more than one club in League One (Exeter was one mentioned, in addition to Forest Green which was already public knowledge).

He stayed because he didn’t want to move that far from home, and also that the club made a real effort to keep him here.

His work in the build-up to the third goal is a great example of how his game has developed - the skill and determination to beat his man, followed by an inch perfect cross. I don’t think you’d have seen him doing that a couple of years ago (absolutely not a criticism, he’s just improved so much over the course of the last 18 month).

In fairness to him, this last season and a bit is the first time he’s not been playing in a dog shít team, so that will no doubt make a big difference, but the lad deserves huge credit for the way he’s playing.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 69
chaos33
November 6, 2022, 2:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew
I think the ‘never get too high when you win and never get too low when you lose’ would serve some well.

Yesterday was brilliant and gives us great hope after 2 shockers. The element of our fan base that come on to say ‘SEE, I TOLD YOU ‘PLAYER X’ WAS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT’ after one performance are arguably as annoying as the people who only seem to ever want something to moan about.

The beauty of football is the difference of opinions and it’s weird to see the complete meltdown people go into when somebody doesn’t share their own. I very rarely see genuine abuse of players on here, but the ‘happy clapper’ element seem hell bent that it happens regularly, odd.

Can you share some examples of all that?
Love the fact that, as someone who regularly indulges in overstatement, apparently ‘calling out’ overstatement with a bunch of overstatements! Are you a sophisticated satirical analyst that’s way out of our league?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 69
pontoonlew
November 6, 2022, 3:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Can you share some examples of all that?
Love the fact that, as someone who regularly indulges in overstatement, apparently ‘calling out’ overstatement with a bunch of overstatements! Are you a sophisticated satirical analyst that’s way out of our league?

Well I mean you yourself got offended initially by somebody daring to say they haven’t always been Clifton’s biggest fan so I’m not overly surprised you’ve taken issue with my post.

There’s currently a couple of posts knocking about paying money for Kiernan, which sort of underline my point. It’s a funny old game!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 69
chaos33
November 6, 2022, 3:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
😂

You’ve illustrated my point beautifully. ‘Offended’ is the word you used. I wasn’t ‘offended’. I didn’t use that word.
People’s opinions on our players don’t ‘offend’ me.
I said it was ‘stupid’ to preface a view of Harry Clifton by saying ‘I’ve never been his biggest fan’ and I stand by that. That’s like saying ….‘my views on football and footballers are deeply flawed’. Why would Clifton need that prologue ? He’s ostensibly and indisputably a really good player and a fantastic asset, and he played really well yesterday, as he does week in week out. If people don’t recognise that, then they don’t understand football.
That’s that. It didn’t ‘offend’ me. You’re the master of overstatement and exaggeration, along with old codger, and you want to call others out. You use words like ‘offended’ ‘happy clappers’ and ‘complete meltdown’ when, in effect, that’s just not the case. They’re your terms, you own them, and they are over exaggerated. That’s what you posted on the last page; you were bemoaning people with extreme views who overreact. In truth, that’s you!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 69
HerveJosse
November 6, 2022, 4:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Funnily enough I got chatting to Harry’s cousin on the train to Hartlepool (verified by the fact he looked a lot like Harry). He said he did have offers from more than one club in League One (Exeter was one mentioned, in addition to Forest Green which was already public knowledge).

He stayed because he didn’t want to move that far from home, and also that the club made a real effort to keep him here.

His work in the build-up to the third goal is a great example of how his game has developed - the skill and determination to beat his man, followed by an inch perfect cross. I don’t think you’d have seen him doing that a couple of years ago (absolutely not a criticism, he’s just improved so much over the course of the last 18 month).

In fairness to him, this last season and a bit is the first time he’s not been playing in a dog shít team, so that will no doubt make a big difference, but the lad deserves huge credit for the way he’s playing.

Perhaps these League one sides had spotted the role he should have been playing and how he could perform against League One opposition before we did. Good that we apparently discovered it by accident.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 69
Maringer
November 6, 2022, 4:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I think it more of a case that Clifton's versatility is a real bonus. If you can play somebody in any position across the midfield and know he can probably fill in at wing-back or full-back if circumstances require it, then it gives you a lot more flexibility with substitutes and cover with injuries whether said player is starting games or not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 69
pontoonlew
November 6, 2022, 7:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
😂

You’ve illustrated my point beautifully. ‘Offended’ is the word you used. I wasn’t ‘offended’. I didn’t use that word.
People’s opinions on our players don’t ‘offend’ me.
I said it was ‘stupid’ to preface a view of Harry Clifton by saying ‘I’ve never been his biggest fan’ and I stand by that. That’s like saying ….‘my views on football and footballers are deeply flawed’. Why would Clifton need that prologue ? He’s ostensibly and indisputably a really good player and a fantastic asset, and he played really well yesterday, as he does week in week out. If people don’t recognise that, then they don’t understand football.
That’s that. It didn’t ‘offend’ me. You’re the master of overstatement and exaggeration, along with old codger, and you want to call others out. You use words like ‘offended’ ‘happy clappers’ and ‘complete meltdown’ when, in effect, that’s just not the case. They’re your terms, you own them, and they are over exaggerated. That’s what you posted on the last page; you were bemoaning people with extreme views who overreact. In truth, that’s you!

I’ll dance round the other bits of sulking to focus on the Clifton bit. He hasn’t always been this sort of player, in fact this season and a lot of last have been by far his best (long may that continue) but for large chunks before that he was pretty average. So to claim that persons views are ‘deeply flawed’ is absolute nonsense, it’s accepting that Clifton hasn’t always been this sort of player (god forbid people may think that but I share that view). It’s exactly what I was getting at in my initial comment.

Rob Jones back in the day was a good example of this, he improved drastically after a terrible start, it doesn’t mean people weren’t right to criticise at the time of his bad performances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 69
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 6, 2022, 7:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

I’ll dance round the other bits of sulking to focus on the Clifton bit. He hasn’t always been this sort of player, in fact this season and a lot of last have been by far his best (long may that continue) but for large chunks before that he was pretty average. So to claim that persons views are ‘deeply flawed’ is absolute nonsense, it’s accepting that Clifton hasn’t always been this sort of player (god forbid people may think that but I share that view). It’s exactly what I was getting at in my initial comment.

Rob Jones back in the day was a good example of this, he improved drastically after a terrible start, it doesn’t mean people weren’t right to criticise at the time of his bad performances.

It appears we all need to support every player no matter how we judge their performance and one of the reasons I used those introductory words were the fact that I know I have been critical of Harry in the past so without I half expected any praise I might give to be received with a reaction from other posters pointing out I have not been his number one fan.

Christ does everyone think he was such a gifted player that others may not rate him so highly? Personally I still don’t think he’s good enough to play in central midfield in a side that wants promotion, playing wide on the right it’s a thumbs up. I said a few weeks back when comments were made on Taylor that because my opinion is different to the majority means I know nothing about football is laughable. I may well be wrong about Harry I have been wrong about players in the past and will be wrong again in the future but accept that’s the way  see the game which is often very different to the bloke sat next to me. But it doesn’t require someone posting as though I’d just stated that Putin should be awarded the Noble peace prize.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 69
ginnywings
November 6, 2022, 8:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
[/b]
Quoted from pontoonlew

I’ll dance round the other bits of sulking to focus on the Clifton bit. He hasn’t always been this sort of player, in fact this season and a lot of last have been by far his best (long may that continue) but for large chunks before that he was pretty average. So to claim that persons views are ‘deeply flawed’ is absolute nonsense, [b]it’s accepting that Clifton hasn’t always been this sort of player
(god forbid people may think that but I share that view). It’s exactly what I was getting at in my initial comment.

You mean when he was young and learning his trade, playing in mostly appalling sides? Of course he wasn't as good then as he is now, but personally, I have always thought him a good player, right from day1.

Not so long back, some were saying he shouldn't be playing on the left, despite him scoring 7 goals from that position last season and bagging 5 already this season.

It's strange really, as successive managers have mostly had him in the side and more than one League 1 club wants to sign him. He's also represented his country a few times.

Maybe those people who's job it is to pick players and win football matches don't really know what they are doing?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 69
toontown
November 6, 2022, 9:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,267
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from ginnywings
[b][/b]

You mean when he was young and learning his trade, playing in mostly appalling sides? Of course he wasn't as good then as he is now, but personally, I have always thought him a good player, right from day1.

Not so long back, some were saying he shouldn't be playing on the left, despite him scoring 7 goals from that position last season and bagging 5 already this season.

It's strange really, as successive managers have mostly had him in the side and more than one League 1 club wants to sign him. He's also represented his country a few times.

Maybe those people who's job it is to pick players and win football matches don't really know what they are doing?

Clifton made an immediate improvement to the team as soon as he came in as a teenager replacing James berrett. He's always been one of the better players in those awful sides. He was the best of the players who played the whole season in that awful relegation team, mostly from right back I seem to recall. His passing has improved immensely over the years, to be fair he made the biggest improvement to it under Holloway, but he's always had vision just not the passing to execute them. The last 24 months or so he's been cracking but still gets stick.

I really can't think of any time when he's been a poor player for us, he's always had his critics though, some of which was definitely influenced by him being a local lad. But I will admit that in his early stages of his career his passing was poor and that did mean there was at least a basis for their criticism even if, in mine and clearly most managers opinion that was outweighed by his strengths.

I honestly can't see how anyone cannot think he's proved any critisicism wrong over the last 2 and a quarter seasons though, hes one of the most consistent around and is desired higher up the pyramid than we have been for years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 69
Theimperialcoroner
November 6, 2022, 9:29pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,337
Gold Stars: 103
Kevin  Keegan who was mentioned on here recently was miles off being the most talented player of his era. But he wanted it more than anyone else so he carved himself an excellent career through all that hard work. It seems Harry is cut from the same cloth. He might not yet be ready to win multiple European Cups but he could easily play a higher level than this.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 69
TownSNAFU5
November 6, 2022, 10:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
I agree that Clifton can play at a higher level.  I suspect that he will continue to surprise us. In a positive way.

The reference to Keegan is a good one.  Besides his Club and European trophies, Kevin Keegan was also voted European Player of the Year (twice).  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 69
chaos33
November 6, 2022, 11:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

‘Sulking’. 😂

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 69
Jarmo.Is.God
November 7, 2022, 10:40am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
How did Hunt do? I wasn't able to watch as was away for the weekend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 69
diehardmariner
November 7, 2022, 11:01am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,819
Gold Stars: 545
Hunt and Morris were dominant in that midfield.  Probably taking into account the fact Plymouth had a fair deal about them, on paper anyway, they were both deployed in a holding type role but were covering the full-backs who both bombed on at will.

Fair to say Hunt's best display since he's returned.  
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 69
Limerick Mariner
November 7, 2022, 12:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,794
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
I agree that Clifton can play at a higher level.  I suspect that he will continue to surprise us. In a positive way.

The reference to Keegan is a good one.  Besides his Club and European trophies, Kevin Keegan was also voted European Player of the Year (twice).  

Really good one - and compare with George Best ( hard to believe he was just two years older than KK) who won one - natural ability wise they were poles apart. Of course, there are scores of examples of players who made the absolute maximum of limited natural ability and reached the very top of their sport. Beckham being a standout. In rugby, Jonny Wilkinson, different because he had immense talent, but he had to completely reinvent his style of play from his natural aggressive tackling fly-half because of injury and reached the top again in his early 30s to win European titles and European player of the year in France. In cricket, in terms of natural ability, Geoff Boycott probably wasn't fit to lace David Gower's boots but scored 40% more first-class runs.

Who knows how far Harry can go but so far he's improved year on year. He's played nearly every game since the start of last season and as a point of reference he's 24; Joe Waters signed for us aged 24 and Paul Groves aged 26...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 69
fishcake63
November 7, 2022, 6:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
certainly looked more comfortable on right than he does on left , glad for him never gives less than 100% no matter where we play him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 69
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 8, 2022, 11:23am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +7,363
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Really good one - and compare with George Best ( hard to believe he was just two years older than KK) who won one - natural ability wise they were poles apart. Of course, there are scores of examples of players who made the absolute maximum of limited natural ability and reached the very top of their sport. Beckham being a standout. In rugby, Jonny Wilkinson, different because he had immense talent, but he had to completely reinvent his style of play from his natural aggressive tackling fly-half because of injury and reached the top again in his early 30s to win European titles and European player of the year in France. In cricket, in terms of natural ability, Geoff Boycott probably wasn't fit to lace David Gower's boots but scored 40% more first-class runs.

Who knows how far Harry can go but so far he's improved year on year. He's played nearly every game since the start of last season and as a point of reference he's 24; Joe Waters signed for us aged 24 and Paul Groves aged 26...

Bringing it right back to home...I was at school with Paul Wilkinson and played with him regularly. He was not the best player (technically) in the team. But he was by far the most dedicated and wanted it more than anyone else. He also used his strengths and managed his weaknesses.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 69
Limerick Mariner
November 8, 2022, 12:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,794
Gold Stars: 138

Bringing it right back to home...I was at school with Paul Wilkinson and played with him regularly. He was not the best player (technically) in the team. But he was by far the most dedicated and wanted it more than anyone else. He also used his strengths and managed his weaknesses.

Yes - another good example. I remember his debut - he looked gangly and a bit lightweight, suddenly he’d bulked up a bit, made better use of his frame in the box, and of course was great in the air. Making most of strengths and managing ones weaknesses is what sport (and life I guess) is about really…individual and collective…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 69
Posh Harry
November 8, 2022, 2:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 36

I thought it said managing was his weakness. I was about to agree 🙂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 69
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.