MuddyWaters
December 11, 2022, 8:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,292
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC

For various reasons (not all form based) I can’t recall many of our summer signings getting half a dozen games on the bang. Until that happens I’m not sure you can judge a player. Khan & Kiernan are starting on a more consistent basis and starting to make a difference.

Players need minutes before you can judge them especially ones still in development. It’s a squad game, this time last year who’d have thought Cropper & Mani would have had such a role in a successful play off campaign?

Just trust the manager, he’s quite good at his job.

Not sure what Cropper and Mani have to do with it. I just look at Pepple, Orsi, Wearne, Richardson and Simmonds and their appearances and think we need better. Is ambition wrong?
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 75
HertsGTFC
December 11, 2022, 9:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,075
Gold Stars: 238
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not sure what Cropper and Mani have to do with it. I just look at Pepple, Orsi, Wearne, Richardson and Simmonds and their appearances and think we need better. Is ambition wrong?

No it’s not but it needs to be based upon the achievable.

The point about Cropper and Mani is that they were brought in as cover when they got bit parts they looked average, given a bit more time they made a difference.

You must be a great judge of a player if you can judge these lads on what you’ve seen at BP. I know you’ll come back with they can’t be good as Hurst doesn’t pick them as you’ve been saying that all along. He doesn’t pick them as they’re behind Taylor (when fit) McAtee, Kiernan and Khan in the pecking order.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 75
MuddyWaters
December 11, 2022, 10:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,292
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC

No it’s not but it needs to be based upon the achievable.

The point about Cropper and Mani is that they were brought in as cover when they got bit parts they looked average, given a bit more time they made a difference.

You must be a great judge of a player if you can judge these lads on what you’ve seen at BP. I know you’ll come back with they can’t be good as Hurst doesn’t pick them as you’ve been saying that all along. He doesn’t pick them as they’re behind Taylor (when fit) McAtee, Kiernan and Khan in the pecking order.

And they’ll also be behind a fit Scannell. I like the fact that Hurst says he likes players of similar quality fighting for positions. We need the same with our strikers. And you’re right, if they were good enough, he’d pick one of them as the striker with McAtee in his natural position.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 75
OddShapedBalls
December 12, 2022, 10:22am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,211
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Mariner_09
Looks like one of those two will go up automatically but then the other is in the lottery of the playoffs and going up won’t be anything like guaranteed as the margins become so fine.

Any two of Wrexham, Southend, Notts County and Chesterfield and I’m happy. Be great if we can get rid of Harrogate and Crawley in this League as well, get it looking more like the “Football League” again and get shot of these non-league sides, replace them with proper clubs.

There's also the massive mental blow of being the team that didn't seal the automatic place after being a leader all season, I think that does generally have an impact on their play-off form too.  So glad we're back in the league!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 75
ska face
December 12, 2022, 11:18am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,905
Gold Stars: 854
Wrexham should walk it this year, and fair enough, hope their fans have a decent season after how they treated us following the PO semi. Surprised Notts are going so well after being perennial underachievers for so long, maybe the spreadsheet man knows what he’s doing after all?
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 75
mimma
December 12, 2022, 11:54am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,611
Gold Stars: 78
County have the one vital component in their side, a goal scorer who's on fire. That makes a big difference  

If only Hurst could work his magic and find one like Hearn for example.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 75
quebec38
December 12, 2022, 12:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Wrexham signed NL superstar Andy Cannon last week from Hull so expect them to go up another gear again. He was on loan at Stockport last season. Unbelievable really, who knows what their squad will look like at the end of January. Hopefully Notts can keep pace though and Chesterfield can pip Wrexham in the play-offs.

It doesn’t bother a lot of people and that’s fine, but personally I find it hard to stomach what they are doing in the NL. It doesn’t come down to jealousy and I admire their fans for the help they gave us last year, but I just like competition. You could argue they are still only competitive and not running away with things, but that’s only because of Parkinson holding them back playing for throw-ins. A decent coach would be well clear of second.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 75
Mariner_09
December 12, 2022, 1:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from quebec38
Wrexham signed NL superstar Andy Cannon last week from Hull so expect them to go up another gear again. He was on loan at Stockport last season. Unbelievable really, who knows what their squad will look like at the end of January. Hopefully Notts can keep pace though and Chesterfield can pip Wrexham in the play-offs.

It doesn’t bother a lot of people and that’s fine, but personally I find it hard to stomach what they are doing in the NL. It doesn’t come down to jealousy and I admire their fans for the help they gave us last year, but I just like competition. You could argue they are still only competitive and not running away with things, but that’s only because of Parkinson holding them back playing for throw-ins. A decent coach would be well clear of second.

There is still competition, they're not running away with it, which just goes to prove throwing enormous sums of money at it doesn't guarantee success. Despite their budget, nobody could say we didn't deserve to beat them. We had much more of the play in that game, and apart from long throws and corners they offered relatively little.

If I were them, I'd have sacked Parkinson and gone all out to get Ardley in from Solihull, but that's just me.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 75
Hagrid
December 12, 2022, 1:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,522
Gold Stars: 545
Quoted from quebec38

not chesterfield, horrible club, they can rot down there
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 75
Maringer
December 12, 2022, 2:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,730
Gold Stars: 189
Ultimately, with the amount of money that Wrexham are spending, they would have to be completely utterly useless not to win promotion sooner rather than later. Parkinson may be a dinosaur, but he's competent enough at what he does and given enough money spent on enough good players, even he will get them promoted.

I know that Notts County haven't exactly been coy about spending money either, but I expect they will be overhauled in the New Year. No doubt, Wrexham will sign another League One player or two in January and the strength in depth should be enough to get them over the line. It is possible that Wrexham might suffer a few longer-term injuries amongst their main men with County continuing their excellent form, but it's more likely that attrition will wear down the team with fewer resources. Hopefully, will be a good battle for both sets of fans to enjoy/endure as appropriate!

If I was the producer of the Wrexham TV show, I'd be praying for the play-offs once again for the drama of it all...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League Title / Promotion race

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.