6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Morris Minor
January 15, 2023, 2:41pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -606
Gold Stars: 12
Clearly on-side if you're a red and most certainly offside if you're a blue.
However remember what Cloughie used to say, if the ref's given a goal, well it's a goal laddie!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 50
Sigone
January 15, 2023, 2:50pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Think Cloughie also said "if he's not interfering with play what is he doing on the pitch"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
GollyGTFC
January 15, 2023, 3:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,997
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from GrimRob
I think it could well be the right decision but the law is inadequate.

Offside offence
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or

• interfering with an opponent by:
            preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or

•       challenging an opponent for the ball or

•       clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or

•      making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

or

gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
        rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
        been deliberately saved by any opponent

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent. 

I don’t think Rashford can be classified as offside for any of those when you consider the wording of the rules properly and look at the footage.

The rule doesn’t say attempting to play the ball is enough on its own to make the player offside. It’s the impact it has on the opponents that matters.

For what it’s worth I don’t like the rule as it is now or has been for the past 20 years or so, but there’s no issue with the goal based on the rules how they are worded.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 50
GollyGTFC
January 15, 2023, 3:09pm

Whiskey Drinker
I’ve looked at it again and Rashford doesn’t impact either City defender getting the ball. Neither could have played the ball before Bruno Fernandes if Rashford wasn’t there. Perfectly good goal based on rules.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 50
GrimPol
January 15, 2023, 3:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
     Quoted from GollyGTFC   "making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball"

AS the ball is entering the penalty area Rashford is in between the ball and a City player who slows down, because he cannot reach the ball as Rashford is "shielding/in the way" and could go down (penalty) in the area if the city player tries to kick the ball. Rashford "impacts the ability for the opponent to kick the ball"
If I was a City fan I would be livid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
GrimRob
January 15, 2023, 3:29pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,474
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I don’t think Rashford can be classified as offside for any of those when you consider the wording of the rules properly and look at the footage.

The rule doesn’t say attempting to play the ball is enough on its own to make the player offside. It’s the impact it has on the opponents that matters.

For what it’s worth I don’t like the rule as it is now or has been for the past 20 years or so, but there’s no issue with the goal based on the rules how they are worded.

Yeah exactly. Most people criticise the decision because they don't a) remember an old version of the rule which no longer applies, b) disagree with the rule, c) have never read the rules and intuitively think they know what the offside rule is from watching a lot of games.

The VAR officials have to comply with the letter of the law. Saying they should rule it out for not interfering with play is like a judge imposing hanging because that's what the law used to be.

I think everyone probably thinks that it is offside though in the spirit of the law, but the fact is it's missing from the rules of the game. I think it's an edge case which will probably be reflected in a future update of the rules.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 25 - 50
promotion plaice
January 15, 2023, 3:42pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,084
Gold Stars: 201

In other news Fulham awarded a penaly at Newcastle after VAR asks the ref to look at it, Mitrovic slightly slips but still puts the ball in the net, goal ruled out as Mitrovic ruled to have touched the ball with both feet, bizarre.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
GollyGTFC
January 15, 2023, 5:41pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol
     Quoted from GollyGTFC   "making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball"

AS the ball is entering the penalty area Rashford is in between the ball and a City player who slows down, because he cannot reach the ball as Rashford is "shielding/in the way" and could go down (penalty) in the area if the city player tries to kick the ball. Rashford "impacts the ability for the opponent to kick the ball"
If I was a City fan I would be livid.

Look at the video again and tell us which City player could have got to that ball before Bruno Fernandes.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 50
fishcake63
January 15, 2023, 6:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
offside & nothing i'v read can convince me otherwise rashford effects the keeper & also akanji did brilliantly to play him offside so in effect dont step up to play offside again but look it depends who in var room & micheal oliver is our best ref by far but he a man u fan 👍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 50
jimgtfc
January 15, 2023, 6:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,126
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I’ve looked at it again and Rashford doesn’t impact either City defender getting the ball. Neither could have played the ball before Bruno Fernandes if Rashford wasn’t there. Perfectly good goal based on rules.

My opinion is your wrong on all aspects there, but hey ho.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Off Side or not Off side

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.