immariner
February 14, 2023, 11:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,420
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from moosey_club

Rudderless defending ?? Or caving under pressure....they had much better quality out wide and delivered pretty consisrent crosses throughout the second half....Crocombe was hardly able to come and claim a ball such was the delivery.....compared to our one decent cross in the whole game.
The ball kept coming back as Lloyd and Mcatee never retained it.

Yeah, we lacked a leader/leaders pushing everyone out. Both goals came after periods where we dropped back for no clear reason.allowing them to push their wide players high to get those decent deliveries into the box. Lloyd and McAtee didn't do well enough to make the ball stick but neither did we do well enough to maintain possession in the middle of the park because the midfield 3 dropped too deep. Not sure how accurate they are but ifollow stats showed that their successful crossed were 40% and ours were a paltry 10%
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 97
Captaincod
February 14, 2023, 11:34pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +251
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from 140381

🔔

And what then?
I’m by no means his biggest fan but he took the reins at 2 basket case clubs and wasn’t given enough time to make his mark. You can include us in the basket case bracket as well when he took over from Holloway.
Yes the last 2 games have been awful and what worries me is we’re over halfway through the season and he still doesn’t seem to know his best team , formation or tactics .
However do you really think it’s time to get rid with the transfer window shut ? What manager do you think we could attract here and come in and make a big improvement ?
There are too many hysterical reactions . I wasn’t too high after the Luton game and expecting us to start tearing teams apart and get to the play offs and I’m not too despondent after the last 2 poor performances either.
Yes it was a disappointing window for various reasons but we’re not going to put right 20 years of failure overnight.
In my opinion we have enough to stay up , we didn’t expect to be back in the league this year so long as we don’t go down it’s a bonus.
Year on year improvement is what we are seeking. If we don’t get that then we all have a right to complain.
Worried ,yes. Panicking no.
Judge PH and the new owners at the end of the season.
Keep the faith.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 97
February 14, 2023, 11:37pm
Guest User
Lol
Reply: 32 - 97
Captaincod
February 14, 2023, 11:38pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +251
Gold Stars: 15
Sorry Dazza I meant to quote smoking joe there. Had a few beers drowning my sorrows !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 97
louth_in_the_south
February 14, 2023, 11:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,721
Gold Stars: 96
Not enough positivity going forward cost us . Too often the wide men chop back and pass square when the opportunity to attack the space gave Gillingham time to get back and defend when we could’ve got behind them . The one time glennon got a decent cross in we scored. We’ve got a quality player in Emmanuel sitting on the bench . Don’t get it . Orsi behind Lloyd? Don’t get it   .
We’re no way as bad as the team that went down last time but we’re getting dragged into trouble when there’s no way we should be . At least we’ve got games v Harrogate and Hartlepool at home and away at Crawley that could guarantee safety unless we fook them up .
We need serious reinforcements in the summer unless we want more of the same next season.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 97
February 14, 2023, 11:41pm
Guest User
Quoted from Captaincod
Sorry Dazza I meant to quote smoking joe there. Had a few beers drowning my sorrows !

I feel your pain. No worries.
Reply: 35 - 97
ginnywings
February 14, 2023, 11:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Not enough positivity going forward cost us . Too often the wide men chop back and pass square when the opportunity to attack the space gave Gillingham time to get back and defend when we could’ve got behind them . The one time glennon got a decent cross in we scored. We’ve got a quality player in Emmanuel sitting on the bench . Don’t get it . Orsi behind Lloyd? Don’t get it   .
We’re no way as bad as the team that went down last time but we’re getting dragged into trouble when there’s no way we should be . At least we’ve got games v Harrogate and Hartlepool at home and away at Crawley that could guarantee safety unless we fook them up .
We need serious reinforcements in the summer unless we want more of the same next season.

Down to having no wingers to speak of.

We are playing 5 at the back and the two wing backs are being relied upon to provide the thrust and the width, but they aren't really good enough to do it. Emmanuel will hopefully get better as he gets back to full fitness, and he can't play Saturday Tuesday at the moment. I have to say that I have been disappointed with Glennon since he came back, especially the defensive side of his game. He seems to be forever making last ditch tackles. Could be poor positioning, or lack of pace, or both.

We really are ponderous and samey in the middle of the pitch and the strikers are feeding on scraps. No decent through balls and no decent crosses to attack.

We were picking up good points earlier in the season when the defence was tight, but they have now become very leaky. I think a big part of that is down to the ball not sticking up front and them never getting a breather, The ball is coming back to them constantly.

Don't know if it is solely because of the Taylor injury, but our ball retention has been sorely lacking and the different units in the team don't currently appear to be working as one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 97
Norseman
February 14, 2023, 11:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
Never expected to beat Gillingham they have invested in the team .As have Colchester ,as Have Harrogate and many others .We chose not to spend on players and it's starting to show .With many games coming close together I think our lack of quality and depth will become even more apparent .But nothing we can do about it now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 97
Norseman
February 14, 2023, 11:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
Never expected to beat Gillingham they have invested in the team .As have Colchester ,as Have Harrogate and many others .We chose not to spend on players and it's starting to show .With many games coming close together I think our lack of quality and depth will become even more apparent .But nothing we can do about it now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 97
dapperz fun pub
February 14, 2023, 11:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,067
Gold Stars: 84
How did Clifton do in the middle ? LiveScore have him down centre mid
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.