Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why we struggle to compete...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 75 Guests

Why we struggle to compete...

This thread currently has 4,394 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
April 20, 2023, 3:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from ska face

Completely agree with the sentiment, but it really is comparing apples with oranges looking at the differences between Leeds and NE Lincs.

Yup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Leeds

Technically the country's second largest city behind Birmingham (ignoring London due to the local government set up).

It's comparing an apple to a box full of oranges for size alone and that doesn't consider location and so forth. There are 60,000 further education students living in the City, including thousands from abroad!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
Mayaman
April 20, 2023, 3:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,448
Gold Stars: 74
Used to go to Leeds in the 80's to buy records It was a rough as hell.  Get in, buy the vinyl and get out.  Went in the late 90's for a job interview.  It was a completely different place.   They'd revamped the old Victorian arcades. There was a buzz and people had jobs and any place that has folks with money in their back bin makes it a happier place.  Leeds is much better located than Gy but we have to start with what we are and where we are. We have to take more pride in the place. We can't even have a statue of our founder without it getting destroyed.  Gy has two great museums and Cleethorpes has a lot to offer , especially in the summer. I've lived in much worse places in the UK.  We need to big it up and stop the chavs and idiots destroying it and its reputation. Grimsby town centre needs revamping.  I am not sure how but we somehow need to revitalise it.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
HertsGTFC
April 20, 2023, 4:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,030
Gold Stars: 232
Quoted from Mayaman
Used to go to Leeds in the 80's to buy records It was a rough as hell.  Get in, buy the vinyl and get out.  Went in the late 90's for a job interview.  It was a completely different place.   They'd revamped the old Victorian arcades. There was a buzz and people had jobs and any place that has folks with money in their back bin makes it a happier place.  Leeds is much better located than Gy but we have to start with what we are and where we are. We have to take more pride in the place. We can't even have a statue of our founder without it getting destroyed.  Gy has two great museums and Cleethorpes has a lot to offer , especially in the summer. I've lived in much worse places in the UK.  We need to big it up and stop the chavs and idiots destroying it and its reputation. Grimsby town centre needs revamping.  I am not sure how but we somehow need to revitalise it.  

I used to sell records in Leeds in the 80’s, it was a pretty good place to work evern then, though it’s a lot cleaner now.

Like I kind of noted before not sure how you can compare Leeds to Grimsby, ones a place for various reasons where a few want to be the other is a place for different reasons where lots of people want to be.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 38
Limerick Mariner
April 20, 2023, 5:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,769
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Dodorondon
We should remember also, and this is something the new owners are attempting to change, that the support for the club within the town has never been huge and often, at best, luke warm. During the height of Buckley’s tenure the gates steadily dropped prompting Arthur Mann to remark: “Sometimes we really do wonder whether all our efforts are worth it.”

You mean like gates at Bolton, Blackburn, Burnley, Rotherham, Chesterfield, Doncaster and loads of others fell off a cliff in the 1980s until they either built new stadia or completely revamped and modernised their existing grounds…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 38
Meza
April 20, 2023, 6:17pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,650
Gold Stars: 50
I think what RichMariner was getting at was the difference between the two councils, one forward thinking the other sat on their hands not wanting change, like as if they just can't be arsed.  

I completely get Rich's post as that's how I feel when I visit my parents from Lincoln, and every time I past the old Birds Eye location nothing has changed, it saddens me being a proud Grimsbarian / Grimsby lad.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 38
RichMariner
April 21, 2023, 10:26am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,170
Gold Stars: 212
Quoted from Meza
I think what RichMariner was getting at was the difference between the two councils, one forward thinking the other sat on their hands not wanting change, like as if they just can't be arsed.  

I completely get Rich's post as that's how I feel when I visit my parents from Lincoln, and every time I past the old Birds Eye location nothing has changed, it saddens me being a proud Grimsbarian / Grimsby lad.

This is exactly it. I appreciate Grimsby and Leeds are vastly different in so many ways.

But both have councils.

One has an ambition, an investment strategy, a passion to take opportunities to grow and thrive.

The other seems to have no idea whatsoever.

I'm not saying Grimsby could be like Leeds because it never will. But the fact remains that with an ambition and investment in the right areas, at the right time, it could improve Grimsby into something more than it currently is. What Leeds city centre offers now is very different from what it offered just 5-10 years ago. They use data to decide where bus lanes go, they have data to calculate footfall in certain areas, they have advertising space exactly where it will be seen most. And this is just skimming the surface.

When I walked along Cleethorpes prom I saw signs on the ground for a palm tree that wasn't even there.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 15 - 38
ska face
April 21, 2023, 11:09am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,824
Gold Stars: 854
Thing is, what is happening at local councils is a reflection of wider trends across the country, similar in a way to what you see in football clubs. Resources, money, knowledge, qualified/talented people get pulled and pooled into major cities and smaller, less well resourced areas are left with scraps.

Local authorities have been cut to the absolute bare bones in the last 15 years, so unless you have a local knowledge economy that sustains innovative ways of working, alongside social benefits that attract certain demographics, a housing mix that suits, etc etc etc, then you’re going to be struggling. I work for a LA and a starting salary for my role is about £21k-£22k, I saw an advert for the essentially an entry level position in Liverpool at £29k-£31k earlier this week. Smaller councils can’t compete with that level of spending and so higher quality candidates end up working in bigger cities.

That’s not to say that nothing can be done, but there’s a lack of political will given the absolute dearth of talent or forward thinking by NELC councillors. You only have to look at how Fenty ended up as portfolio holder for regeneration, skills and housing - a man comically underqualified for such a role - to see why NELC are really lagging behind.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
chaos33
April 21, 2023, 11:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,006
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from ska face
Thing is, what is happening at local councils is a reflection of wider trends across the country, similar in a way to what you see in football clubs. Resources, money, knowledge, qualified/talented people get pulled and pooled into major cities and smaller, less well resourced areas are left with scraps.

Local authorities have been cut to the absolute bare bones in the last 15 years, so unless you have a local knowledge economy that sustains innovative ways of working, alongside social benefits that attract certain demographics, a housing mix that suits, etc etc etc, then you’re going to be struggling. I work for a LA and a starting salary for my role is about £21k-£22k, I saw an advert for the essentially an entry level position in Liverpool at £29k-£31k earlier this week. Smaller councils can’t compete with that level of spending and so higher quality candidates end up working in bigger cities.

That’s not to say that nothing can be done, but there’s a lack of political will given the absolute dearth of talent or forward thinking by NELC councillors. You only have to look at how Fenty ended up as portfolio holder for regeneration, skills and housing - a man comically underqualified for such a role - to see why NELC are really lagging behind.

Excellent post and spot on.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 38
HerveJosse
April 21, 2023, 11:30am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,210
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from RichMariner
This is going to go down like a lead balloon but here goes...

I've been living in the Leeds area for the past 15 years and working in the city centre for the last 10.

It's a city surrounded by out-of-town retail parks, like White Rose, but the city centre during the week and at weekends is as busy as ever.

It's unrecognisable from what it was back in the mid-2000s, which isn't that long ago.

They've developed Granary Wharf and are now building loads of new flats, accommodation and shops next door at Mustard Wharf, close to where the canal and train station meet.

I'm a Meggie, I never saw myself living and working in Leeds when I was younger but I've gotta be honest, I visited Grimsby a couple of weeks ago and it left me feeling very empty.

I can project memories over what it is now, but for my wife who isn't from there, it just looked what it was: a dead end. Loads of closed shops, hardly any people, no kids hanging out there, despite it being the Easter holiday.

Leeds city council have invested loads in data, it's grown from a financial hub into a digital city of excellence, and while I'm all for their football club failing I have to say it's not a dirty slum as we may have sung about them in the past. It's anything but.

It's also not perfect, but you can see how the city is constantly developing, it never rests. The council are investing, which invites so many more companies to do the same. It's snowballing and it's come out the other side of the pandemic stronger than it was going into it.

Compare Leeds with Bradford 10 mikes down the road . When I studied and worked in both 40 years ago the two cities were on a par now one is a booming modern city and the other is a shithole. Local government is part of the reason for the difference but not all both fall within West Yorkshire . The mass exodus of young well educated people capable of developing modern businesses from North East Lincs over the last 30 years is a significant reason for its decline and once the spiral starts it’s difficult to see what stops the decline . Opening up university entry to 50% plus of school leavers had the unintended consequence of shafting places like Grimsby. Lincoln by contrast had the foresight to develop a university which was arguably Mickey Mouse at first but is now quite highly regarded fed and has generated the redevelopment of the City
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
TownSNAFU5
April 21, 2023, 11:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
Grimsby is like many seaside places is struggling.  Change of holiday plans for Blackpool etc.  Cannot rest on past glories (fishing for us).

Major capital investment needed from government and maybe with some private money with government incentives.

Corby was a big steelworks that has reinvented itself.  

Grimsby hasn’t.  One disincentive is our remote geographical location.  A barrier to growth.

The only way to overcome this is to be smarter, have good ideas, be more innovative and work harder to attract investment than other similar places.

The area should be lower cost than some places.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why we struggle to compete...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.