Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The Financial Brutality of The Championship
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

The last message you viewed in this thread was reply number 7.

The Financial Brutality of The Championship

This thread currently has 2,329 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
April 17, 2024, 4:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,892
Gold Stars: 42
BBC news story today.  Portsmouth need to quadruple their wages to be competitive in the Championship.  Their squad is valued at about £2 million.  Other teams valued at £100 million.

Football Financial expert Kieran Maguire said that promoted teams need to be ready for the “brutal” financial nature of the Championship.  

He said that the average loss per week is a massive £476,000.

I almost feel sorry for Lincoln if they get there.  They won at close rivals Oxford last night.  

Ipswich are a very impressive exception. Especially, when competing with parachute payments.

Also cannot see us getting into the Championship,  Division 1 is tough enough to get to and survive.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
RichMariner
April 17, 2024, 6:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,140
Gold Stars: 209
Wow, that’s insane. I remember Danny Coyne was rumoured to be our highest earner in the 1999-2001 era and that was supposedly around £4k a week.

Not sure what our squad’s wage added up to back then, but using that figure as a barometer I’m guessing 22 players on an average of £2.5k is fair… that’s around £55k a week, plus non-playing staff costs…

All that was offset by match day income, player sales (which were rare), etc.

It’s just a different beast now. How is our country’s game sustainable if clubs are willing to lose half a million quid a week, for what?

Is the dream to play in the PL really worth putting your club’s existence in jeopardy? Maybe they all think there are saviours lining up, willing to take on that debt in the hope that they will be the ones capable of leading them to the promised land?

But even if you do make the PL, you need to spend phenomenal amounts just to compete again. More debt, etc.

I know some people may accuse me of having a lack of ambition, but I’d just like to see us go as far as we can without overspending. I think bottom half of L1 seems doable. Anything beyond that, in today’s game, is overachieving in my opinion.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
jamesgtfc
April 17, 2024, 6:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,013
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from RichMariner
Wow, that’s insane. I remember Danny Coyne was rumoured to be our highest earner in the 1999-2001 era and that was supposedly around £4k a week.

Not sure what our squad’s wage added up to back then, but using that figure as a barometer I’m guessing 22 players on an average of £2.5k is fair… that’s around £55k a week, plus non-playing staff costs…

All that was offset by match day income, player sales (which were rare), etc.

It’s just a different beast now. How is our country’s game sustainable if clubs are willing to lose half a million quid a week, for what?

Is the dream to play in the PL really worth putting your club’s existence in jeopardy? Maybe they all think there are saviours lining up, willing to take on that debt in the hope that they will be the ones capable of leading them to the promised land?

But even if you do make the PL, you need to spend phenomenal amounts just to compete again. More debt, etc.

I know some people may accuse me of having a lack of ambition, but I’d just like to see us go as far as we can without overspending. I think bottom half of L1 seems doable. Anything beyond that, in today’s game, is overachieving in my opinion.

It's a billionaires playground. Stoke City are owned by bet365 who paid their founder Denise Coates a salary of £221m last year plus a rumoured dividend of £50m. Despite this though, one of their players from the women's team who plays in a bet365  sponsored kit has to crowdfund major knee surgery sustained playing for them. It's so, so wrong.

https://gofund.me/03748468
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
Heisenberg
April 17, 2024, 6:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
I cannot advise enough of you to listen to the podcast The Price of Football. It is a geek-fest, admittedly, but Keiran McGuire comes out with FACTS like this every week. Football is completely broken, honestly, an idiotic shambles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
louth_in_the_south
April 17, 2024, 6:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 96
But remember… “ when the fun stops , stop “ yeah righto the betting industry cares about you !!

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
Heswall Mariner
April 17, 2024, 7:22pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +591
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
But remember… “ when the fun stops , stop “ yeah righto the betting industry cares about you !!

On Monday afternoon  I went to collect my meagre National winnings from the - localish - Betfred.
I was told by a grinning lad that there was no cash available to pay me & he didn't know when it would be available. I accepted that it was not his fault.
I pointed out that they seemed to be taking bets from the few punters in the the shop & that could very well be illegal if they were unable to honour any possible returns.
Okay I eventually drove back the few miles to Betfred & collected my winnings - but what miffed me was that these billionaire owners didn't seem to have made it a priority to provide immediately to honour their obligations ASAP.
Rant over - UTM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
denni266
April 17, 2024, 8:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +699
Gold Stars: 132
Its a far cry from the average working mans game anymore. It seems more like a rich mans play thing. There is no such thing as a level playing field anymore .We would be lucky to survive in div 1 now even if we could afford to get there in the first place. Makes you wonder if there is any point anymore
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
moosey_club
April 17, 2024, 9:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,266
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from denni266
Makes you wonder if there is any point anymore

Escape the Mrs for a few hours without too many questions.....

Mind you...have been getting questioned why I do go when I come home mardy as my bottom most weeks 😆

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
thornemariner
April 18, 2024, 8:39am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +665
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Heswall Mariner

On Monday afternoon  I went to collect my meagre National winnings from the - localish - Betfred.
I was told by a grinning lad that there was no cash available to pay me & he didn't know when it would be available. I accepted that it was not his fault.
I pointed out that they seemed to be taking bets from the few punters in the the shop & that could very well be illegal if they were unable to honour any possible returns.
Okay I eventually drove back the few miles to Betfred & collected my winnings - but what miffed me was that these billionaire owners didn't seem to have made it a priority to provide immediately to honour their obligations ASAP.
Rant over - UTM.

I managed betting shops decades ago. I'd never grin if I'd been cleaned out but wasn't able to pay out on some large bets on occasion which the punters accepted. I could always pay out more modest earnings and in the days where you had more people in the shop, you could carry on taking bets because you'd always be winning some of that.

I don't know what it's like now but you had a limited float in those days and banked excess funds in the morning after adjusting for any liabilities over a tenner. It made holding up a bookies less attractive. Having been on the receiving end of a few blags with sawn-offs in a short period of time I completely agree with that stance.  

I ran one place opposite a bank's sub-branch and spent one week relieving them of their high denomination notes by cashing reserve cheques as I was cleaned out day after day by heavy hitters. I actually ran well above target profit but got a right caning now and again. Exciting days but left the job to get Saturdays off again and watch Town. While the first eleven or twelve years were great, the last twenty plus have been awful!
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
GrimPol
April 18, 2024, 8:56am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -735
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from moosey_club

Escape the Mrs for a few hours without too many questions.....

Mind you...have been getting questioned why I do go when I come home mardy as my bottom most weeks 😆

Yes it was pure escapism in the "old days" now its a toss-up between BP for a couple of hrs or manning The Samaritan's phones.  Depressing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The Financial Brutality of The Championship

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.