Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Which of these sounds the most credible?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 84 Guests

Which of these sounds the most credible?

This thread currently has 3,225 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
kingofthekippers
June 7, 2009, 1:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6
In response to lincolnmariner's plea in the 'How long will Gordon Clown survive' poll I have now launched this.

As usual, you the jury decide.

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
lukeo
June 7, 2009, 2:07pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,419
Gold Stars: 149
loch ness monster.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
aldi_01
June 7, 2009, 9:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
gordon will win an election...but maybe the labour party will win but not with old gord, who knows.

out of those who knows, lol

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
lincolnsmariner
June 7, 2009, 9:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
I think your unfair with the constant attacks. You may have more sense than me and know more than me regarding politics but from what i can tell, he's made mistakes but hes still the best person to take this country forward.

If the cons win, what they going to do different? Other than put my tax up and cut public spending?

Football isnt about life and Death,
It means much more

[url]http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110883967688&ref=nf[/url] BTTB II

Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
kingofthekippers
June 7, 2009, 9:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
gordon will win an election...but maybe the labour party will win but not with old gord, who knows.

out of those who knows, lol

LM has voted but I won't say how!  I hope Gordon Brown goes because he is an electoral liability for Labour. He may be intelligent but he is not personable, he comes across as dour, awkward in public situations and to me, although I have been shot down about this elsewhere, something of a bully.

Of course you may say personality should have nothing to do with it but in modern history we have gone with politicians who are likeable and media savvy - Heath, Wilson, Thatcher, Blair - and rejected those who weren't - Callaghan, Foot, Hague, Duncan-Smith, Howard.

I hope Alan Johnson becomes Labour leader but I fear the damage is done. Although you vote for the party not the politician two unelected PM's in a space of a little over 2 years will not do Labour any favours with the electorate. When Brown goes it will have to be followed by a General Election and it is fair to say Labour will be trounced.

The saddest thing is that Cameron is a nothing-politician and his party have no real policies but as they say - oppositions do not win elections, governments lose them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
lincolnsmariner
June 7, 2009, 10:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from kingofthekippers

LM has voted but I won't say how!  I hope Gordon Brown goes because he is an electoral liability for Labour. He may be intelligent but he is not personable, he comes across as dour, awkward in public situations and to me, although I have been shot down about this elsewhere, something of a bully.

Of course you may say personality should have nothing to do with it but in modern history we have gone with politicians who are likeable and media savvy - Heath, Wilson, Thatcher, Blair - and rejected those who weren't - Callaghan, Foot, Hague, Duncan-Smith, Howard.

I hope Alan Johnson becomes Labour leader but I fear the damage is done. Although you vote for the party not the politician two unelected PM's in a space of a little over 2 years will not do Labour any favours with the electorate. When Brown goes it will have to be followed by a General Election and it is fair to say Labour will be trounced.

The saddest thing is that Cameron is a nothing-politician and his party have no real policies but as they say - oppositions do not win elections, governments lose them.

I voted that he will win the general election, and thats because i think he will.

A poll in the news of the world today asked how you would vote in a general election, shockingly Labour won it.

Labour are the only party with real policys and the only part who are fit to help our country. They have made lots of faults - worse than cons before them, im no expert as i was a kid then but i say no - Gordan Brown has got most against him and hes coming out fighting and its making him better and stronger.

Im no real expert in politics, i tend to drift in and out of keeping up-to-date, but from my point of view, i personally think they are the best to help us, and i think when the election is called next year, people will see a difference from all these on goings at the moment, and they will win because the torys simply do not know what the hell to do.

It means much more

Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
kingofthekippers
June 7, 2009, 10:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from lincolnsmariner

I voted that he will win the general election, and thats because i think he will.

A poll in the news of the world today asked how you would vote in a general election, shockingly Labour won it.

Labour are the only party with real policys and the only part who are fit to help our country. They have made lots of faults - worse than cons before them, im no expert as i was a kid then but i say no - Gordan Brown has got most against him and hes coming out fighting and its making him better and stronger.

Im no real expert in politics, i tend to drift in and out of keeping up-to-date, but from my point of view, i personally think they are the best to help us, and i think when the election is called next year, people will see a difference from all these on goings at the moment, and they will win because the torys simply do not know what the hell to do.

I don't doubt that Labour has the best policies (I speak as lapsed member) but the problem is Gordon Brown. As it stands the image given off is of a man who can't even control his ministers (or ex-ministers as teh case may be), yet alone run the country. If his own colleagues hold him in contempt how do the electorate respond?

I want Labour to win the next election but they are a party in choas. As I say, the saddest thing in all of this is that the Tories have no policies whatsoever. For Labour the battle is not in winning the next election - which I think we can write off - but the one due in 2014/15.

I suppose one has to resign oneself to the fact that all good things must eventually come to an end.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
Citymariner
June 7, 2009, 10:09pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +18 / -1
Approval: +27

As for the politics, I don't care how GB (how fitting his intials) reacts in public situations. thats all media spin etc. I want action and I believe it is difficult to find another member of parliment that is more qualified than GB to strengthen the finacial situation. I maybe wrong it may well be that my gifted and talented maths pupil in my class has the answer...
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
kingofthekippers
June 7, 2009, 10:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Citymariner

As for the politics, I don't care how GB (how fitting his intials) reacts in public situations. thats all media spin etc. I want action and I believe it is difficult to find another member of parliment that is more qualified than GB to strengthen the finacial situation. I maybe wrong it may well be that my gifted and talented maths pupil in my class has the answer...

There's the problem. We now live in the era of 24 hour rolling news and with it, the soundbite. Brown is a politician of another era when TV had solid in-depth current affair programmes such as World In Action or This Week. In programmes like that Brown would shine; in recent interviews where even the PM is given only five minutes max, he fails to deliver. Unlike Blair his personality is not geared for the soundbite.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
grimsby pete
June 7, 2009, 10:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,842
Gold Stars: 222
All politicians are in it for themselves, expenses lol !

They all want to take our money and give us very little for it.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
lincolnsmariner
June 7, 2009, 10:19pm
Whiskey Drinker

I don't doubt that Labour has the best policies (I speak as lapsed member) but the problem is Gordon Brown. As it stands the image given off is of a man who can't even control his ministers (or ex-ministers as teh case may be), yet alone run the country. If his own colleagues hold him in contempt how do the electorate respond?

I want Labour to win the next election but they are a party in choas. As I say, the saddest thing in all of this is that the Tories have no policies whatsoever. For Labour the battle is not in winning the next election - which I think we can write off - but the one due in 2014/15.

I suppose one has to resign oneself to the fact that all good things must eventually come to an end.

Did you not watch the press conference on Friday? Gordan Brown looked, sounded and acted the best he has for a long time, he showed passion and strength, qualities required. So what he doesnt have a personality, come next June i dont think the general public will worry about that. They will just see a man trying his best and one that is doing well (hopefully)

Labour have a year to turn things around, they have some great oppertunities in that the recession is high on peoples minds along with this expenses crap, if they can do well with these two main things then all can be recovered, as you say the tories have no policies so it will be easy to discredit them on a campaign.

Has i have previously said, a year in politics is a long time. One other thing Labour have going for them is the fact all local councils are now run by opposition, so perform bad at local level and this will also help the Labour party.

It means much more

Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
lincolnsmariner
June 7, 2009, 10:21pm
Whiskey Drinker

There's the problem. We now live in the era of 24 hour rolling news and with it, the soundbite. Brown is a politician of another era when TV had solid in-depth current affair programmes such as World In Action or This Week. In programmes like that Brown would shine; in recent interviews where even the PM is given only five minutes max, he fails to deliver. Unlike Blair his personality is not geared for the soundbite.

I take it you believe everything on the news then? Come on people are not stupid and they know not to believe everything on the news. Has for his personality see my previous post.

It means much more

Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
kingofthekippers
June 7, 2009, 10:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from lincolnsmariner

Did you not watch the press conference on Friday? Gordan Brown looked, sounded and acted the best he has for a long time, he showed passion and strength, qualities required. So what he doesnt have a personality, come next June i dont think the general public will worry about that. They will just see a man trying his best and one that is doing well (hopefully)

Labour have a year to turn things around, they have some great oppertunities in that the recession is high on peoples minds along with this expenses crap, if they can do well with these two main things then all can be recovered, as you say the tories have no policies so it will be easy to discredit them on a campaign.

Has i have previously said, a year in politics is a long time. One other thing Labour have going for them is the fact all local councils are now run by opposition, so perform bad at local level and this will also help the Labour party.

I don't know where to start with this. To me GB has aged dramatically in the last year; he looks like a man who, despite his words, has had enough. We live in an age where people do judge personality - more people voted in last years X-Factor than voted in the 2005 General Election. In another age Brown would have walked it but society is now conditioned to process facts in 30 seconds. No one is prepared to commit themselves to anything in-depth.

I agree the expenses issue, whilst a huge fuck-up, is nothing compared to what matters to the man on the street - the recession. But after 12 years in office Labour has to take the buck. As GB often likes to say it did start in America. But our reliance on cheap and easy credit, coupled with lax policing from the government of opur financial system has exposed us more than most. Who was responsible for this? Well, the Chancellor of the Exchequer was. Who was Chancellor when this occurred? Step forward one James Gordon Brown. It's stuff like this that will be thrown in his face.

It is debatable whether the recession will peter out as a U-shape or a double V - one recession, followed by growth, followed quickly by another recession - but people will remember who presided over it. Unemployment continues to rise. When people cannot feed their families, that's when they will vote elsewhere. The fact that the Tories have no policies means you struggle to pin them down on any potential failings - as I say, oppositions do not win elections, they sit back and wait for governments to lose them.

If a year is a long time in politics, a week is even longer (as Harold Wilson once noted). I wouldn't be surprised if Brown is gone by this time next week. And as for councils being run by the opposition being an opportunity for Labour you'll find that when such councils hit troubled waters they'll blame funding or interference from central government. What is more, it works. Labour councils did it in the past, Tory ones will do it now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
aldi_01
June 8, 2009, 9:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
may be the worst situation will bring out the best in GB, the guy clearly does know what he is doing with his improvements he made to the economy when labour first came back into power, he seems to lacking the pazazz type effect that blair had, or the likeability...also he is missing one man...Alastair Campbell...i have n doubt that with him as his spin doctor GB could do very well and improve his status and presentation.

as for cameron, its all spin and intercourse all policies, as per usual...i fear for the country when i think of cameron as prime minister

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
lincolnsmariner
June 8, 2009, 10:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
may be the worst situation will bring out the best in GB, the guy clearly does know what he is doing with his improvements he made to the economy when labour first came back into power, he seems to lacking the pazazz type effect that blair had, or the likeability...also he is missing one man...Alastair Campbell...i have n doubt that with him as his spin doctor GB could do very well and improve his status and presentation.

as for cameron, its all spin and intercourse all policies, as per usual...i fear for the country when i think of cameron as prime minister

WHS

It means much more

Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
kingofthekippers
June 9, 2009, 5:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Well I'd reserve judgement on that. Inflation, interest rates and unemployment were falling for a considerable period prior to Labour coming to power, all during the time when Ken Clarke was Chancellor of the Exchequer. Brown just capitalised on that and an increasing global liberalisation of credit (which you might have noticed went mammaries-up recently).

One of Brown's first acts as Chancellor was to sell large chunks of our gold reserves at what was widely percieved to be (and indeed was) the bottom of the market and contrary to advice from HM Treasury. Equally he scrapped tax breaks on share dividends which has been a significant factor in the destruction of many final salary company pension schemes -  and if that doesn't bother you now, it will one day (unless you work for tha State of course in which case the poor sods who work in the wealth-creating sector will have to pay you).

Significantly Brown, during his tenure as Chancellor, used to often emphasise the end of the 'boom and bust' policies of the Tory party but here we are witnessing the biggest bust since Jordan last left the plastic surgeon's. This has to lead people to question his judgement.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
kingofthekippers
June 15, 2009, 8:32pm
Vodka Drinker
As an aside, nearly a third of poll voters believe in UFO's. In fact recorded 'sightings' of UFO's increase dramatically in periods of economic recession. And skirt lengths shorten during periods of economic growth.

Now you may say 'bollocks' but both are actually used in the Square Mile as some form of indicator of the economy.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
Black Haddock
June 16, 2009, 12:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Approval: +1
Come on people wise up.

The answer is the Nessy, I've seen her!

BH.

With a peccadillo like mine, you wouldn't want to meet me.

Watching THE TOWN sober isn't an option!

[img]http://users.skynet.be/cbbiochimie/La%20chouffe.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
mariner91
June 16, 2009, 1:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,837
Gold Stars: 264
UFO's.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Which of these sounds the most credible?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.