2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
kingofthekippers
June 12, 2009, 10:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6
Quoted from MaccaBilk

Yes, that's what we had. To change channels, instead of doing it on the TV (this was before remote controls were invented), you had to turn this switch on the wall to one of 3 settings. I'm 95% sure it was Tyne-Tees though, not Anglia and the set was from Radio Rentals.

We're talking 1977 or so, and I was only a toddler.

Just as a history note: In the early days of commercial tv, the various ITV companies had to work hard to get the population to switch to them. Therefore many ITV companies established TV rental chains - obviously Granada (North of England) and Rediffusion (London weekdays) created chains named after themselves. The largest chain, Telefusion, worked in reverse - they got an ITV licence and created Yorkshire Television.

Rediffusion was owned (indirectly) by British Relay, the first piped TV service. Radio Rentals, as the name suggests, goes back to the 1930's and rented out radio sets. RR eventually fell into the ownership of Thorn who merged with EMI who in turn owned Thames Television. In the mid 1990's RR merged with Granada Rentals to form BoxClever, which was eventually sold to its' management team.

I'm a wow at parties y'know  

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
Bagshaw99
June 12, 2009, 11:51pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Quoted from Civvy at last

for some strange reason, the minibus of Town fans I used to travel with had our own unique chant. cant remember how it started  but it went to the tune of "we urine on yor fish yes we do, yesd we do"

MY NIECE BOUGHT THIS YOU KNOW, SHACKLETONS, SHACKLETONS.  If you ever heard a bunch of looneys singing this walking into a pub at away games it was us.  

That was Kev and Al Fuller, Feet and the lads. I remember us all singing it on the way to Rotherham in the early 80s:

"First we sent for the brochure, Shackleton's, Shackleton's."

"It's so easy to get in and out of, Shackleton's, Shackleton's..."

We also used to do, "Jocky Wilson Says..." quite a bit.

Happy days. I usually see Kev and Al when we play in the North West. I think they both live that way on now.

"That Grimsby team was pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football."    Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
barralad
June 14, 2009, 10:12am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Bagshaw99

That was Kev and Al Fuller, Feet and the lads. I remember us all singing it on the way to Rotherham in the early 80s:

"First we sent for the brochure, Shackleton's, Shackleton's."

"It's so easy to get in and out of, Shackleton's, Shackleton's..."

We also used to do, "Jocky Wilson Says..." quite a bit.

Happy days. I usually see Kev and Al when we play in the North West. I think they both live that way on now.

You have a P.M.

Kev lives in Town still. He travels to ALL away games on the (in)famous white mini-bus.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
Bagshaw99
June 15, 2009, 12:10am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Quoted from barralad

You have a P.M.

Kev lives in Town still. He travels to ALL away games on the (in)famous white mini-bus.

Thanks for the PM. Nice to be able to put a face to the name, mate. Small world, eh?

Altogether now: "Arthritis can be fun, Shackleton's, Shackleton's..."  

The kids today just don't have the songs any more.  

"That Grimsby team was pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football."    Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shackletons High Seat Chairs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.