11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
jimgtfc
February 13, 2016, 8:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,101
Gold Stars: 45
The difference now with Monkhouse is that he doesn't have Townsend behind him, or more importantly running past him. I really don't think the combination of him and either Robertson or Horwood (who I thought had a shocker today) really works, it's too slow and predictable. Monkhouse should have been subbed instead of Arnold today, even if Nathan wasn't at his best today he can still produce something out of nothing and win a game on his own, Monkhouse can't.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 103
chaos33
February 13, 2016, 8:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,993
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from ginnywings
Funny how much better players get the longer they are out of the side. Clay is not playing, we are struggling, ergo it must be because Clay isn't playing. If we are missing the dynamic, free scoring, astute passing Clay, then we are worse off than i imagined.

Agree mate.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 103
barralad
February 13, 2016, 8:26pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from jimgtfc
Right bare with me...

Like everyone had said today was poor, but id like to look at our approach to the game today. We know that at home against teams who get men behind the ball that Hurst likes us to play out from the back, in an attempt to draw the opposition out, and it has worked in the past but today we looked torn between doing that and trying longer balls to get in behind. It seemed like his instructions were for Mckeown to give it to a centre half who then exchanges 5 or 6 passes with fellow defenders, gaining little ground, then bypass the midfield with a long pass up to the strikers. You must let the central midfield (preferably a 3) contribute when in possession to gradually move the ball forward. When your playing a possession based game like we tried today the players who should make the most touches and passes are the central midfielders not the centre halves. I don't think a 442 is suited to playing this style, not enough bodies in the middle of the park to move the ball. I'm also not convinced we have the players to play like this. We don't have that quality dominant midfielder who can dictate the play.

Looking at the weather and the opposition today I'd have gone for a high tempo pressing game, put their back 4 under pressure get them turned and facing their own goal with balls in behind their full backs which the wind would help hold up first half, and make them make mistakes, and then play football on the ground in their half, not ours.

We seemed stuck in between what to do today tactically, and for me that is what cost us victory. Sorry if I've bored anyone with that 😂

Not sure why you'd think people would be bored by that. For me the conditions helped dictate how the ball was played out. The wind in the first half meant that Macca wasn't getting much distance when he did try to kick so moving the ball forward via the defenders should have helped. The fact that it didn't was partly at least due to the efforts made to close players down. BW didn't really have a lot of skill (although the number 25 gave Tait one or two hairy moments) but they fought really hard to close us out.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 103
Davec
February 13, 2016, 8:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 42
That proves if any was needed we are not good enough to win the league, if we have the best squad then we certainly don't have the best manager In the league, (no I'm not calling for his head) but Cheltenham would have found a way to win that game probably

Gowling Toto Horwood Arnold Disley Monkhouse Pittman and Amond were both very poor, mind you Amond was feeding of scraps

Not Monkhouse type of game

Straker didn't impress, for a start why did Hurst bring him on Right Wing ? I thought he was left sided player, but his short quick free kick he did was absolutely pathetic, when running with the ball he shows no intelligence or awareness, as Barralad said, not one to roll up his sleeves for the course

Toto and Gowling almost cost us with their pathetic passing along the back whilst deciding which one of them hoofed it forward randomly

Toto as always his distribution is absolutely shocking, also going down the tunnel he told a fan to intercourse off when this fan shouted something at him

Pittman doesn't read the game well and is more of an impact sub

Nolan was the only player to come out of that with any credit, he was the only one who tried to make things happen
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 103
blasty
February 13, 2016, 8:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +227
Quoted from barralad

Or it could just be that Nolan's performances thus far have earned him his place in the team.

Since being in the side done well no doubt but I think you miss my point and appreciate some will defend me hurst and in doing so ignore certain things.

My point was in dropping clay at the point when we had just won 5-0 and were on the run we were might just have unsettled the side. At no point was I questioning the contribution of Nolan since he's been in the side. Seemingly he's been decent, yet others levels have dropped. Coincidence?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 103
ginnywings
February 13, 2016, 8:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Perhaps we would have faired worse with Clay in the side. Who was it that scored a cracker to get us back in the match on Tuesday night? We can't know what would happen with Clay in the side. Perhaps draw at home with Guiseley maybe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 103
blasty
February 13, 2016, 8:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +227
Ah the 1-1 draw with guisely. No mention of the 4-0 and 5-0 wins around it.

Mind you with Nolan in the side heaven help us if we lost to Gateshead and drew with boreham wood.

The tinkering unsettles the side, it has done for three seasons running now and I'm just suggesting that replacing a member of the engine room after a resounding win as part of a fantastic run of results might just have unsettled the rest of the squad and its confidence more than people might think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 103
RonMariner
February 13, 2016, 8:58pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,814
Gold Stars: 226
Cheltenham and FGR could both reach 100 points this season. Cheltenham's current run rate is above that.

So it sure looks like play off time gain folks.

Let's hope the luck is with us this time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 103
ginnywings
February 13, 2016, 9:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from blasty
Ah the 1-1 draw with guisely. No mention of the 4-0 and 5-0 wins around it.

Mind you with Nolan in the side heaven help us if we lost to Gateshead and drew with boreham wood.

The tinkering unsettles the side, it has done for three seasons running now and I'm just suggesting that replacing a member of the engine room after a resounding win as part of a fantastic run of results might just have unsettled the rest of the squad and its confidence more than people might think.

Which is why i said perhaps. No one can know really but for me Nolan is a better all round player than Clay and an improvement. I have never got the Clay love in, as i think he is distinctly average but it's just an opinion. We an both make arguments for and against by picking specific results.

Don't think we were going anywhere bar the play offs whoever was playing.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 103
ginnywings
February 13, 2016, 9:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
For what it's worth, losing Townsend was the biggest blow because he was the reason for that good run anyway, not Clay or Nolan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.